PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Players continue to allege officials make uneven calls

mesaSteeler
12-20-2010, 06:39 PM
December 19, 2010
Steelers notebook: Players continue to allege officials make uneven calls

Eric Knopsnyder The Tribune-Democrat The Tribune-Democrat Sun Dec 19, 2010, 11:59 PM EST
http://tribune-democrat.com/prosports/x1168758306/Steelers-notebook-Players-continue-to-allege-officials-make-uneven-calls

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers have more problems with NFL officials – on both sides of the ball.

Receiver Mike Wallace said that the Jets defense, which gave up 264 passing yards in Sunday’s 22-17 victory over the Steelers, was doing plenty to slow Pittsburgh’s receivers.

“I got held every single play, but hey, you’ve got to keep playing ball,” said Wallace, who had 102 yards on seven catches but wasn’t targeted in the end zone on the Steelers’ final two plays.

“Sometimes guys get beat and they’re going to hold you. I’m not a referee, I can’t call the calls myself, but if we played

70 plays, I got held 65 of them. I still have to keep playing and trying to execute, that’s all.”‘

Rookie receiver Emmanuel Sanders also believes the Jets defensive backs got away with some clutching and grabbing.

“Yeah, but we can only control what we can control,” he said. “And at the end of the day, we didn’t play well enough to win.”

Steelers defenders, who have been the NFL’s poster children for illegal hits, got flagged for another one on Sunday. Safety Ryan Clark was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit on receiver Braylon Edwards in the third quarter, even though it appeared as though Clark hit Edwards in the chest. Four plays later, the Jets scored a touchdown to tie the game at 17.

Clark was asked if he expected to be disciplined further for the hit.

“I don’t know,” he said. “They are going to do what they do.

“They are going to review it.

“If it’s illegal – if you can’t hit people in the chest, then I’ll get fined. If you can, I’ll be OK.

“The bad part about it is you just hurt your team. And I hurt my team with that play. It’s inexcusable. I need to find a better way to go about doing my job and help my team.”‘

Clark said the call– or even a fine - won’t affect how he plays.

“I don’t really know what else to do there if I’m going to change my play,” he said. “And I’m not going to change it. If they have to fly me up and give me a tutorial on how to tackle, maybe they’ll have to.

“I didn’t hit the guy in his head, and that’s what I was trying to make sure (that) I didn’t do.”

One that hurts: Steelers tackle Jonathan Scott was injured on the Jets’ safety in the fourth quarter.

Scott was unable to block Jason Taylor on the play and the defensive end tackled Mewelde Moore in the end zone for a safety that changed the game.

“I went to try to cut somebody and my neck took a beating,” Scott said.

With guard Chris Kemoeatu pulling on the play, there was no one to pick up Taylor after he got past Scott.

“It was probably just a good defensive play,” Scott said. “They read it well and they capitalized on it.”

Scott’s injury was announced as a stinger, and though he did not return Sunday, he said he expects to be back for Thursday’s game against Carolina.

“I believe I will,” he said. “I just have to put it in the Lord’s hands and trust the trainers to get me ready.”‘

R&R: Wallace and running back Rashard Mendenhall each hit milestones on Sunday. Wallace went over the 1,000-yard receiving mark for the first time and had his sixth career

100-yard game. Mendenhall had 100 yards on 17 carries, marking the seventh time he hit the century mark in his career, and surpassed his personal best for rushing yards in a season. He now has 1,173 on the year.

Notes: The Steelers played without S Troy Polamalu and TE Heath Miller. Polamalu was limited by an Achilles injury while Miller still is suffering from a concussion he suffered against Baltimore. … In addition to those two and DE Aaron Smith, who has missed the past eight consecutive games with a triceps injury, Steelers inactives included: CB Keenan Lewis, RB Jonathan Dwyer, OT Chris Scott, DT Steve McLendon and QB Charlie Batch.

SH-Rock
12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Clark deserves the call and penalty. What really disgusted me is that the number one secondary in the NFL has to resort to holding and grabbing on two you receivers.

rrage
12-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Clark deserves the call and penalty. What really disgusted me is that the number one secondary in the NFL has to resort to holding and grabbing on two you receivers.

What game were you watching because clark lead with his shoulder and hit the chest area

steelerjim58
12-20-2010, 10:32 PM

It's amazing how people can see things so differently, are you really god-dell. If that's deserves a penalty it really is time to bring out the flags and take out tackling altogether.

casteeler
12-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Clark deserves to play football and not be fined for something that everyother DB in the league does on a weekly basis. Bottom line is the Steelers are getting bent over in every game on both sides of the ball( as far as penalties are concerned) whether people want to accept it or look the other way is up to the person. However we can all agree that these penelties are making it very difficult to watch and enjoy.

BigRick
12-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Don't know what came you saw. The Jets secondary is over rated. Cromarte can't cover unless he can hold the reciever. :tt03:

Rick5895
12-21-2010, 06:23 AM
!. Clark got the penalty called against him because he"launched" himself kinto the receiver, leaving his feet. Somethng in todays NFL you can't do.

2, the Jets get away with that crap because of reputation, Revis and Cromartie are considered two of the best cover guys in the NFL by the so called experts.

We can complain about the officiating all we want but if we play good special teams we win tha game plain and simple.

I say this to my firends when they whine about refs in any sport "costing" their team a game. Losers complain CHAMPIONS over come!! Last I looked we are to be considered champions. (2 titles last 5 years)

Whodis
12-21-2010, 07:30 AM
!. Clark got the penalty called against him because he"launched" himself kinto the receiver, leaving his feet. Somethng in todays NFL you can't do.

2, the Jets get away with that crap because of reputation, Revis and Cromartie are considered two of the best cover guys in the NFL by the so called experts.

We can complain about the officiating all we want but if we play good special teams we win tha game plain and simple.

I say this to my firends when they whine about refs in any sport "costing" their team a game. Losers complain CHAMPIONS over come!! Last I looked we are to be considered champions. (2 titles last 5 years)

I tell my friends

"That was a bullshit call!"

finesward
12-21-2010, 07:30 AM
When you launch yourself like clark did, you lose control of your body. That's what the rule is trying to prevent. Even though they got the call wrong on the field, h2h, it was the launching that drew the flag and could be fined. It's gay but you have to start working on timing so that you can still lay out the reciever, but do it while he is coming down and not in the air. I think of the hit ray lewis put on dustin keller earlier in the year as an example. It was a hit that the NFL sent the players to use as guidance. Had clark hit edwards in the same spot, but without leaving his feet there would be no penalty (but most likely still a flag)

BGSU A Dub
12-21-2010, 07:34 AM
I have never seen as many flags thrown and picked up as I did on Sunday. Kinda makes you wonder what that was all about.... :hunch::noidea:

SteelWolf62
12-21-2010, 09:20 AM
I have never seen as many flags thrown and picked up as I did on Sunday. Kinda makes you wonder what that was all about.... :hunch::noidea:

I thought I hear the talking heads say that the flags "fell" out of the officials pockets. Yep, falls out 10 yards from where the official was standing. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

TRH
12-21-2010, 09:27 AM

I don't have a problem if there's a penalty called on Clark if thats the rules. But what i do have a problem with is the stripes not calling numerous, probably game changing penalties on the other side. That i have a problem with.