PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Steelers

SH-Rock
12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
NFL Network will be providing their top ten Steelers on Friday at 8pm EST.

I thought we should start making our own lists.

plenewken
12-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Tough to pick only 10! Here is my list in alphabetic order:

Blount
Bradshaw
Greene
Harrison
Lambert
Lloyd
Polamalu
Stallworth
Swann
Webster

FanSince72
12-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Blier
Bettis
Bradshaw
Greene
Lambert
Lloyd
Polamalu
Stallworth
Ward
Webster

MDSteel15
12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Mike Webster :thumbsup:
Jack Lambert :tt04:
Jack Ham :coffee:
Terry Bradshaw :wave:
Joe Greene :hug:
Mel Blount :tt02:
Rod Woodson :drink:
Hines Ward :chuckle:
Troy Polamalu :popcorn:
Ernie Stautner :hatsoff:

StainlessStill
12-21-2010, 04:45 PM
1. Mean Joe Greene (Started our unforgettable dynasty)
2. Franco Harris
3. Jack Lambert
4. Terry Bradshaw
5. Lynn Swann
6. Troy Polamalu
7. Mel Blount
8. John Stallworth
9. Mike Webster
10. Jerome Bettis
-------------------------
Honorable mention: Hines Ward

SH-Rock
12-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Surprisingly no mention of Roethlisberger.

MDSteel15
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Needs another bling bling!

StainlessStill
12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Needs another bling bling!

One more, and Ben is top 3 easily!

FanSince72
12-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Actually, ANY present-day player (and yes I included Polamalu) on a Top Ten list really doesn't work because there's no way of knowing how it will all turn out in the end.

If you're talking about Top Ten right this minute, then yes, Ben would be on the list. I know that Top Ten isn't asking for "Greatest Ever", but it definitely has that feel (especially judging by most answers) and Ben hasn't achieved "Greatest" status yet.

"Really Good" perhaps, but "Greatest" will take a while.

saveus1011
12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Honorable Mention: Richard Shelton (dude's the reason I'm a fan! Dad knew him, and I got Pittsburgh stuff because of him.)

Jack Lambert
Franco Harris
Joe Greene
Lynn Swann
Rocky Bleier
Rod Woodson
Ernie Stautner
Jerome Bettis
Bobby Layne
John Stallworth
Mel Blount

MDSteel15
12-21-2010, 06:17 PM
QBs
1.Terry Bradshaw
2.Ben Roethlisberger
3.Neil O'Donnell
4.Bobby Lane
5.Len Dawson
Honorable mention: Joe Gilliam

RBs
1.Franco Harris
2.Jerome Harris
3.Rocky Bleier
4.John Henry Johnson
5.Bill Dudley
Honorable mention: Barry Foster

WRs
1.Hines Ward
2.John Stallworth
3.Lynn Swann
4.Louis Lipps
5.Yancey Thigpen
Honorable mention: Plaxico Burress

OL
1.Mike Webster
2.Ernie Stautner
3.Alan Faneca
4.Gene Lipscomb
5.Dermontti Dawson
Honorable mention: Tunch Ilkin

TEs
1.Heath Miller
2.Bennie Cunningham
3.Eric Green
4.Mark Bruener

DBs
1.Mel Blount
2.Rod Woodson
3.Carnell Lake
4.Dwayne Woodruff
5.Delton Hall
Honorable mention: Glen Edwards

DL
1.Joe Greene
2.Ernie Stautner
3.LC Greenwood
4.Casey Hampton
5.Aaron Smith
Honorable mention: Ernie Holmes

LBs
1a.Jack Lambert
1b.Jack Ham
2.Greg Lloyd
3.Levon Kirkland
4.James Farrior
5.Andy Russell
Honorable mention: Joey Porter

ST
1.Gary Anderson
2.Jeff Reed
3.Dwight Stone

jizzballz
12-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Neil O'Donnell

http://www.steelertribute.com/neil92.jpg

4xSBChamps
12-21-2010, 06:58 PM
DBs
1.Mel Blount
2.Rod Woodson
3.Carnell Lake
4.Dwayne Woodruff
5.Delton Hall
Honorable mention: Glen Edwards

making the team as a free-agent on his special teams prowess, then known primarily for his ferocious hitting (see ~ Campbell, Earl / ribs, broken), Donnie Shell was a ball-hawking pass-defender, and I believe he retired as the career-leader interception leader amongst Strong Safeties, with over 50 pick-offs

another often over-looked Steeler Defensive Back is Jack Butler, who also had more than 50 interceptions despite playing just 103 games over 9 seasons, in a day when offenses ran-first, and passed 2nd:
his career cut-short by injury, Butler then helped run BLESTO for many years

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07161/792966-66.stm

I think it would be difficult to omit either of these Steeler players when trying to determine an All-Time Top-5 listing of Defensive Backs in franchise history

:drink:

lionslicer
12-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Joe Green
Jack Lambert
Woodson
Mel Blount
Bradshaw
Jack Ham
Webster
Franco Harris
Polamalu
Hines Ward/Bettis

This would be my guess, the first 7 are in order of when they were on the top 100 players list, and Franco should be next because when he played for the Steelers, they haed a winning record, when he left, they lost.

I'd like to put Ben up there, but I think his performance in the superbowl in 2005 doesn't do him justice. Both Jerome Bettis and Ward had the same impact on the steelers, so to say who's better than who isn't really something I can answer.
Polamalu might not be there because his career has been so short and he might finish the last 5-6 seasons of his career on a nother team and win 5 superbowls, who knows.

lionslicer
12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Neil O'Donnell

http://www.steelertribute.com/neil92.jpg

I'm sure he'll be on the list of the 10 greatest 90's cowboys.

SteelKid212
12-22-2010, 01:56 AM
kordell stewart
mike tomzack
neil odonnell
amos zeroue
limas sweed.....

oh wait.... this is for the TOP 10???

my bad.... i thought it was for the shi*** est players list.

:doh: next!

plenewken
12-22-2010, 07:06 AM
kordell stewart
mike tomzack
neil odonnell
amos zeroue
limas sweed.....

LOL

I think you're very hard with O'Donnell. He's far from being one of the worst QB the Steelers had. Personally, I rank him 3rd best behind Bradshaw and Ben.
He played very well until the SB against Dallas, and the only difference between his SB and Ben's SB against Seattle is that O'Donnell didn't have a D to save his @ss that day.
Yet, his QB rating for his Superbowl was much higher than Ben's. If O'Donnell was playing bad, then Ben was playing worse than atrocious.
I'm just saying............

huntingteacher
12-22-2010, 08:38 AM
1. Bradshaw _ Yes, I still have a man crush on him.
2. Stallworth
3. Webster
4. Lambert
5. Gary Anderson - Give the kicker his due...
6. Troy - Might be greatest player we have ever had if his body holds up.
7. Ward -
8. Mel Blount
9. Arron Smith
10. Fran Rogel - Solid career from 1950-1958 Played for Penn State too. He always ran 1st play up the middle, hence the saying, " Hi diddle diddle, Rogel up the middle. He's on my list because I had him as a teacher at Highland High School. Cool dude in the 80's.

Worst list - Could not come up with 10...
1. Cliff Stout God I still get mad thinking of how bad this guy was. He is in the Dale Berra wing of sports....
2. David Trout (K)
3. Walter Abercrombie
4.Mark Malone
5. Mitch Berger

4xSBChamps
12-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Worst list - Could not come up with 10...
1. Cliff Stout God I still get mad thinking of how bad this guy was. He is in the Dale Berra wing of sports....
2. David Trout (K)
3. Walter Abercrombie
4.Mark Malone
5. Mitch Berger

I'd think Harvey Clayton (burned so-often the Fire Department hung a call-box on his jersey), Darryl Sims, and Limas Sweed would make that list, and if you're going to put Abercrombie in this category, he'd ride the pine behind another 1st round draft pick, Greg 'oh-my-hamstring' Hawthorne, who under-gained Abercrombie 527 to 3357 when carrying the ball

caseyviator
12-22-2010, 09:56 AM
1-bradshaw
2-ben r
3-jack lambert
4-joe green
5-lynn swan
6-troy palomulu
7-james harrison
8-rod woodson-carnelle lake to ,damm this is tough- wow donnie shell
9-franco harris
10-jerome bettis
11-mike webster
12-bobby layne
19- ahahha john unitas big time cut ahaha

MDSteel15
12-22-2010, 09:57 AM
making the team as a free-agent on his special teams prowess, then known primarily for his ferocious hitting (see ~ Campbell, Earl / ribs, broken), Donnie Shell was a ball-hawking pass-defender, and I believe he retired as the career-leader interception leader amongst Strong Safeties, with over 50 pick-offs

another often over-looked Steeler Defensive Back is Jack Butler, who also had more than 50 interceptions despite playing just 103 games over 9 seasons, in a day when offenses ran-first, and passed 2nd:
his career cut-short by injury, Butler then helped run BLESTO for many years

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07161/792966-66.stm

I think it would be difficult to omit either of these Steeler players when trying to determine an All-Time Top-5 listing of Defensive Backs in franchise history

:drink:

Damn, I knew I was leaving somebody out... I should be flogged for that one :doh:

MDSteel15
12-22-2010, 09:58 AM
kordell stewart
mike tomzack
neil odonnell
amos zeroue
limas sweed.....

You can take 2 of them off that list....

MDSteel15
12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
QBs
1.Terry Bradshaw
2.Ben Roethlisberger
3.Neil O'Donnell
4.Bobby Lane
5.Len Dawson
Honorable mention: Joe Gilliam

RBs
1.Franco Harris
2.Jerome Harris
3.Rocky Bleier
4.John Henry Johnson
5.Bill Dudley
Honorable mention: Barry Foster

WRs
1.Hines Ward
2.John Stallworth
3.Lynn Swann
4.Louis Lipps
5.Yancey Thigpen
Honorable mention: Plaxico Burress

OL
1.Mike Webster
2.Ernie Stautner
3.Alan Faneca
4.Gene Lipscomb
5.Dermontti Dawson
Honorable mention: Tunch Ilkin

TEs
1.Heath Miller
2.Bennie Cunningham
3.Eric Green
4.Mark Bruener

DBs
1.Mel Blount
2.Rod Woodson
3.Donnie Shell
4.Carnell Lake
5.Dwayne Woodruff
Honorable mention: Jack Butler

DL
1.Joe Greene
2.Ernie Stautner
3.LC Greenwood
4.Casey Hampton
5.Aaron Smith
Honorable mention: Ernie Holmes

LBs
1a.Jack Lambert
1b.Jack Ham
2.Greg Lloyd
3.Levon Kirkland
4.James Farrior
5.Andy Russell
Honorable mention: Joey Porter

ST
1.Gary Anderson
2.Jeff Reed
3.Dwight Stone

finesward
12-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Bam Bam Morris
Santonio Holmes
Plaxico Burress
Kordell Stewert
Limas Sweed
WIllie Reid
Tommy Maddox
Ricardo Couclough
Alonzo Jackson
Matt Spaeth

lionslicer
12-22-2010, 11:07 AM
LOL

I think you're very hard with O'Donnell. He's far from being one of the worst QB the Steelers had. Personally, I rank him 3rd best behind Bradshaw and Ben.
He played very well until the SB against Dallas, and the only difference between his SB and Ben's SB against Seattle is that O'Donnell didn't have a D to save his @ss that day.
Yet, his QB rating for his Superbowl was much higher than Ben's. If O'Donnell was playing bad, then Ben was playing worse than atrocious.

What no Love for Maddox or Batch? lol.

huntingteacher
12-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by plenewken
LOL

You are right, he played very well that game until he threw not one but two horrible, horrible, horrible interceptions. He is to the Steelers as Bonds was to the Pirates. A maker of a pivital play that cost us big

plenewken
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by plenewken
LOL

You are right, he played very well that game until he threw not one but two horrible, horrible, horrible interceptions. He is to the Steelers as Bonds was to the Pirates. A maker of a pivital play that cost us big

I never said O'Donnell played very well in the SB, I said he played very well UNTIL the SB, big difference.
This being said, If Ben's 9 completions for 21 attempts, 123 yds, 0 TD and 2 INT against the Seahawks are considered a better performance than what O'Donnell did against the Cowboys, it means that you don't care about the QB performance as long as we win.

Keep in mind that the Cowboys beat the Steelers to win their 3rd Superbowl in 4 years so they were clearly the dominant team back then and stronger than the Steelers. It was not the case for the Seahawks.

SteelKid212
12-23-2010, 02:16 AM
You can take 2 of them off that list....

ummm no thank you.

good players, NOT great players,

but ALWAYS choking in the biggest most important games...

im not about the stats, im about the big plays in biggest moments, you know, the ones that bring us SUPER BOWLS, not LOOSE THEM...

and they were sh**.

they stay on that list.

plenewken
12-23-2010, 08:54 AM
ummm no thank you.

good players, NOT great players,

but ALWAYS choking in the biggest most important games...

im not about the stats, im about the big plays in biggest moments, you know, the ones that bring us SUPER BOWLS, not LOOSE THEM...

and they were sh**.

they stay on that list.

What's your real Top 10 list? Just curious.

SteelKid212
12-24-2010, 06:05 AM
What's your real Top 10 list? Just curious.

top 10, all time.

1. joe greene
2. jack lambert
3. mike webster
4. terry bradshaw ( even though i hate him today)
5. troy polamalu
6. mel blount
7. hines ward ( over the other 2 HOF'ers, since he played more physical and his blocking was insane. )
8. rod woodson
9. lynn swann
10. ben roethlisberger. ( because he has brought 2 SB's during my lifetime :)

this is just my personal taste....

unfortunately there is too many damn good players to narrow down to a measely list of just 10.
one of the luxuries of going for an amazing storied franchise.

wooot woooooot !!!!!

Bobby_Walden
12-24-2010, 11:52 AM
1 Joe Greene
2 Rod Woodson
3 Jack Lambert
4 Jerome Bettis
5 Terry Bradshaw
6 Troy Polamalu
7 Franco Harris
8 Jack Ham
9 Dermontii Dawson
10 John Stallworth

pittguy578
12-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Any list without Ben is absurd. He is the best QB in Steelers history.

lionslicer
12-24-2010, 08:37 PM
This is the actual top 10

As ranked by the NFL Network tonight

10. Bettis

9. Swann

8. Ward

7. Blount

6. Polamalu

5. Lambert

4. Woodson

3. Harris

2. Bradshaw

1. Greene

jizzballz
12-24-2010, 09:38 PM
really polamalu and not ben roethlisberger... what such shit.

i dont care if we are 5-7 without polamalu, ben roethlisberger is probably the greatest steeler of all time, certainly in the past 25 years.

MillerMania83
12-24-2010, 10:33 PM
I watched the show tonight....For the most part I agreed with the players in the top 10, maybe not all of the positions they had them ranked though...IMO though, NO WAY Rod Woodson gets ranked higher then Mel Blount, NO WAY....Blount has the rings, and like it was mentioned, he basically IS the reason for the rule changes that have been made with contact on the WR's....I'm one of the biggest Ben fans out there today, but not just yet can you put him on that list IMO, but I got a feeling by the time he is done, he'll make it....Plus, as a lifelong 40 yr old Steelers fan, it was hard for me to not see Jack Ham on that list, I mean cmon, JACK HAM...It's a tough deal for sure to come up with the 10 Best Steelers ever, cuz there are so many who deserve to be on a list like that, namely Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson, John Stallworth, Alan Faneca, etc...

lionslicer
12-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I watched the show tonight....For the most part I agreed with the players in the top 10, maybe not all of the positions they had them ranked though...IMO though, NO WAY Rod Woodson gets ranked higher then Mel Blount, NO WAY....Blount has the rings, and like it was mentioned, he basically IS the reason for the rule changes that have been made with contact on the WR's....I'm one of the biggest Ben fans out there today, but not just yet can you put him on that list IMO, but I got a feeling by the time he is done, he'll make it....Plus, as a lifelong 40 yr old Steelers fan, it was hard for me to not see Jack Ham on that list, I mean cmon, JACK HAM...It's a tough deal for sure to come up with the 10 Best Steelers ever, cuz there are so many who deserve to be on a list like that, namely Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson, John Stallworth, Alan Faneca, etc...

I didn't get why Woodson was so high. He is one of the greatest players of all time, but he only played like half of his career with the steelers, as a steeler, he should be like 8 or 9. Just because he was great on another team shouldn't matter, if it did matter, johnny unitas would be there lol..

Whoever did the voting for this list had no love for offensiveline men... I can see why John Stallworth wasn't there, I'm surprised to see swann there though.
Jack Ham not being on that list is rediculous.

This list is controversal.. How can Woodson be 4 on the list but be ahead of Lambert who was rated higher than him on the NFL's 100 greatest players..

USWSteel
12-25-2010, 12:18 AM

Put down the crack pipe and walk away.:wave:

StainlessStill
12-25-2010, 01:31 AM
This is the actual top 10

As ranked by the NFL Network tonight

10. Bettis

9. Swann

8. Ward

7. Blount

6. Polamalu

5. Lambert

4. Woodson

3. Harris

2. Bradshaw

1. Greene

What I expected, pretty close to mine. Can't go wrong with ANY combination.

jizzballz
12-25-2010, 05:30 AM
1 and 2 are fine, really woodson above lambert, even though lambert came to define what pittsburgh is so good at defense.

whoever made this list should not be allowed to breathe again, thank god nobody really cares about the top 10 shit

4xSBChamps
12-25-2010, 06:07 AM
...IMO though, NO WAY Rod Woodson gets ranked higher then Mel Blount, NO WAY....Blount has the rings, and like it was mentioned, he basically IS the reason for the rule changes that have been made with contact on the WR's....

everybody here knows about the 'Hines Ward Rule', but few recognize the 1978 rules were aimed at a player with Blount's unique size & skill

I didn't get why Woodson was so high.

* who currently Woodson?

* who made-up that list?

SoCalFan
12-25-2010, 06:19 AM
all this back and forth just proves,the Steelers need a top 20.Most other teams top 10,teamn like the Lions and Bungles,top 5....

Rick5895
12-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Merry Christmas to all of you great Steelers fans;

I watched the program and although Bettis Ward and Troy are great Steelers (although i may include one of them), I am not so sure they rank above some of the best we have had. Here is my list.

10. Mike Webster, The best center of all time!!

9. Jerome Bettis, the definition of Steelers smash mouth football.

8. Jack Ham No OLB better than Jack in his time.

7. Swann/Stallworth They are 1 IMO. Can't have one without the other

6. Rod Woodson ; was on the 75th anniversary NFL all time team and a great player.

5. Franco Harris he made our O go in the 70's

4. Terry Bradshaw The greatest Steeler QB ever ( Ben is NOT close)

3. Mel Blount They changed the pass defense rules because of him

2. Jack Lambert My favorite Steeler and I have trouble not putting him #1

1. JOE GREENE; HE STARTED IT ALL!!!!!!!

BTW an honorbale mention to ERNIE STAUTNER

:tt04:

lionslicer
12-25-2010, 05:36 PM
everybody here knows about the 'Hines Ward Rule', but few recognize the 1978 rules were aimed at a player with Blount's unique size & skill

* who currently Woodson?

* who made-up that list?

NFL films top 10 lists are usually made up by votes, Like they'll send out like 50 steeler names to certain sports writers, coaches and former players, rate them from 1 to 10 and then they make a top 10 from the scores. Woodson said himself he wouldn't put himself that high on the list, so I doubt he voted. But most people on the episode who talked about each player voted.

StainlessStill
12-25-2010, 05:38 PM
1 and 2 are fine, really woodson above lambert, even though lambert came to define what pittsburgh is so good at defense.

whoever made this list should not be allowed to breathe again, thank god nobody really cares about the top 10 shit

I agree. Having Woodson above Lambert makes my stomach turn. I loved Rod but, above THEE Jack Lambert? No way, no how, no how, no way!

lionslicer
12-25-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree. Having Woodson above Lambert makes my stomach turn. I loved Rod but, above THEE Jack Lambert? No way, no how, no how, no way!

I blame Mark Madden

plenewken
12-26-2010, 05:38 AM
[QUOTE=jizzballz;884858]really polamalu and not ben roethlisberger... what such shit.

i dont care if we are 5-7 without polamalu, ben roethlisberger is probably the greatest steeler of all time ................ /QUOTE]

Are you his agent? ....... or bodyguard?

MDSteel15
12-26-2010, 07:56 AM

You are a moron...

MDSteel15
12-26-2010, 07:59 AM
I didn't get why Woodson was so high. He is one of the greatest players of all time, but he only played like half of his career with the steelers, as a steeler, he should be like 8 or 9. Just because he was great on another team shouldn't matter, if it did matter, johnny unitas would be there lol..

Whoever did the voting for this list had no love for offensiveline men... I can see why John Stallworth wasn't there, I'm surprised to see swann there though.

This list is controversal.. How can Woodson be 4 on the list but be ahead of Lambert who was rated higher than him on the NFL's 100 greatest players..

Are you kidding! Stallworth was a better and more durable WR than Swann... :banging:

SteelCityMom
12-26-2010, 09:50 AM

Woodson played more than half of his career with Pittsburgh (10 years). Then one season with the 49ers, 4 with the Ravens and 2 with the Raiders. 3rd most interceptions in NFL history and still holds the record for most interception return yardage and interceptions returned for TDs.

Like someone already mentioned, these lists are made up of votes...so whoever gets the most votes makes the list sequentially. You could do these lists a thousand times with a thousand different voters and every one of them would be controversial in one way or another. There's just too many Steeler greats to put on a top 10 list.

rondisco
12-26-2010, 05:27 PM
who are the best the top 10 steelers of all time is a relative question; it depends how you look at t the question. no current players would make my top 10 if you want to look at their body of work with the steeler organization; however, if you asked me to build a team to compete in today's league, Troy would definitely be starting. i would start Roethlisberger over Bradshaw, but i agree that Bradshaw is a top ten steeler and Roethlisberger is not, yet. so like i said, it depends you look at the question. i think a lot of the 70's players would do real well in today's NFL; however, i would take James Harrison over Jack Ham if i was building a team to compete in today's NFL. so another words, the top ten steelers doesn't necessarily mean the best 10 steelers. are you looking at a list from a historians perspective or are you comparing talents by today's standars?

let me rephrase the question: if you could pick 10 steelers from any era to build a team around, who would they be?

here are mine:

Roethlisberger (no question)
Greene (would still kill)
Polamalu
Harrison (sorry Ham)
Lambert (would still jack fools up)
Blount (i know that 3 db's are a bit much, but they are so damn good)
Bettis (not a better than harris)
Woodson (corner)
Feneca (because i need an o-lineman)
Ward (because he does it all)

HM: Greenwood, Ham, Porter, Hampton, A. Smith, Farrior, Harris, Stallworth, Swann

uclkyle
12-27-2010, 12:59 AM
10.John Stallworth
9. Big Ben
8. Rod Woodson
7.Hines Ward
6. Jack Lambert
5. Franco Harris
4. Mel Blount
3.Jack Ham
2. Terry Bradshaw
1. Mean Joe