PDA

View Full Version : Why do fans act like the team is 4-10?

lionslicer
12-23-2010, 04:41 PM
:noidea: I know everyone has a right to their opinion, but everyone is 0-0 once they get into the playoffs, Is being perfect more important or winning the superbowl? Would you rather the Steelers win traditional ugly football games or watch them run up the score like the Patriots?

I think everyone needs to be more a bit more optimistic about the team... Atleast you are Steeler fans and not Browns or Bengals fans.

Deserei90
12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Exactly, Everyone needs to stop being so paranoid. This is The Steelers everyone. A team that won The Superbowl in 05 with a # 6 seed, The first team to ever do that. When playoffs come, anything can happen. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. And be thankful we are in regardless, and The Cowgirls are out!!!:thumbsup:

MDSteel15
12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Because when you are used to winning they want to win every week... :noidea:

NYC_Steeler
12-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I think the problem lies in the way the Steelers barely won a coupe of games and how badly they lost some games. With Ben, they lost to 2 very good teams (Pats, Saints), and the Jets, whom they were supposed to destroy. Many people feel that they can't beat the better teams in the league as evidenced in the Pats game and the teams they are supposed to destroy, they barely get by them. It's frustating to see it happen over and over again.

lionslicer
12-23-2010, 04:55 PM
I think the problem lies in the way the Steelers barely won a coupe of games and how badly they lost some games. With Ben, they lost to 2 very good teams (Pats, Saints), and the Jets, whom they were supposed to destroy. Many people feel that they can't beat the better teams in the league as evidenced in the Pats game and the teams they are supposed to destroy, they barely get by them. It's frustating to see it happen over and over again.

I know, I remember saying that after the Pats game, that the Steelers can't compete with the big dogs of the league.

But teams sometimes bearly make it to the playoffs but some magic happens and they win the superbowl.

FanSince72
12-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Because when you are used to winning they want to win every week... :noidea:

I agree with that.

In fact, guys my age (over 50) remember "The Golden Age" of Steelers football back in the 70's and I swear that until Ben showed up, people STILL thought that one day Bradshaw would come jogging onto the field and light things up. None of us who lived through that decade could believe that the Pittsburgh Steelers could ever be anything other than "in charge".

I think the reason people feel that way today is because from the 70's forward, everyone seemed to just assume that the Steelers were the designated Super Bowl winner and I don't think anyone has completely shaken that feeling. The 70's Steelers were just a special team and once you've tasted that kind of success, it's hard to imagine anything less..

I remember reading "Hammer of the Gods" a ways back (which was a book about Led Zeppelin) and in it the author wrote: "The two biggest things in the 1970's were Led Zeppelin and the Pittsburgh Steelers" because they both represented raw power and total domination.

I really can't argue much with that and I guess we've all been spoiled since then.

Whodis
12-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Maybe because this defense is great and those of hus that have been through the Malone, Stewart and all other shitty QB years know that this team is "that close".

Is it possible that we tend to beat ourselves when we do lose?

Do you think they will give us a mulligan during the playoffs if coaches make the same mistakes?

Maybe that's why

mikegrimey
12-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Just a knee jerk reaction after a loss I think.

It's easy to forget that the playoffs is a whole new season. Last year the Jets were basically handed a free ticket to the dance and were within 30 minutes of making a trip to the Superbowl.

Yet sentiments of "doom" always seem to set in after a loss. The only loss we've had this year that has given me that outlook is the loss to the Pats, which was just atroscious. This last loss wasn't that big of a deal to me. We came within 9 yards of winning and that's even with a special teams TD and safety with 2:45 left in the game given to the opposition, not to mention our best player was warming the bench.

SteelKnight
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
...because unlike your wishful avatar, the Patriots don't suck.

We are thrilled that they are making the playoffs and hopeful they will get a bye but we want to make sure we can compete with the other teams.

I was pleased with our loss last week. We looked better than in some of the wins.

Fire Haley
12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Why?

Because you got these ***** Pats fan trolls that make you want to suck Brady's ****

**** these rhose bitches, let them go root for the Cardinals

Fire Arians
12-23-2010, 05:38 PM
because if it wasn't for not losing 9 games in a row, we'd be 4-10

Whodis
12-23-2010, 05:59 PM
^ this

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Because their problems are self-evident and capable of under-mining their chances in the post season. We all know that the intensity gets ramped up for the post season. Having a track record of success during the regular season prepares you for what you can do in the post season. It doesn't mean that you can't do it, but it sure does help. What this team has failed to do is struggle to get TD's in the redzone. Come playoff time, this weakness could be exposed.

lionslicer
12-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Because their problems are self-evident and capable of under-mining their chances in the post season. We all know that the intensity gets ramped up for the post season. Having a track record of success during the regular season prepares you for what you can do in the post season. It doesn't mean that you can't do it, but it sure does help. What this team has failed to do is struggle to get TD's in the redzone. Come playoff time, this weakness could be exposed.

yeah, and everyone was saying the same thing in 2008.... Everyone said the same thing about the 2000 ravens and the 2002 Bucs and the 2007 Giants.

sharkweek
12-23-2010, 11:24 PM
because they have miserable real lives and carry it into their hobbies

they're lucky they're not Browns or Bengals fans or else they'd probably have killed themselves by now

Kanata-Steeler
12-23-2010, 11:25 PM
a frieind of mine is a Cowboys fan -and he loves them, but he is extremely critical(as in smashed his TV -lol) of them, he constantly cuts them down this year, do u blame him.?
I often wonder myself if I'm overlly-critical, but then I go, well what is wrong with that?, we are mostly intelligent fans with brains and we love NFL football -the sport.

and Lets face it, in all these years, if it were not for all the NFL Fans in the world ?, well there would never have been any nfl Football period ! This whole enchilata, is for us.
So I say, be as critical as you want -as a fan you've already earned that right -but just be honest about it, with yourself.
Thankyou.
:)

VegasStlrFan
12-23-2010, 11:44 PM
It's because we are 11-4 thanks to the defense. We can't win in the playoffs without the offense scoring points. The pats will hang 25+ on us , we need 30 to win. The wins are great, but realize we got our ass handed to us by the pats. F#^*{} the record, to get another ring the o has to show up period.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2010, 11:47 PM
yeah, and everyone was saying the same thing in 2008.... Everyone said the same thing about the 2000 ravens and the 2002 Bucs and the 2007 Giants.

The team in '08 played fantastic situational football all year long both offensively and on the defensive side of the ball. Those other squads all shared one thing in common, great defense.

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 12:02 AM
It's because we are 11-4 thanks to the defense. We can't win in the playoffs without the offense scoring points. The pats will hang 25+ on us , we need 30 to win. The wins are great, but realize we got our ass handed to us by the pats. F#^*{} the record, to get another ring the o has to show up period.

+1:tt02::tt02:

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 12:05 AM

slicer. In 08 our pass defense was either #1 or #2...not 24th...so no...I didn't feel the same in 2008. As soon as Brady went on IR, I was thinking we would win the SB in 2008.

This year, I see us getting to the championship. I'd like it if we could score. Our D will not hold up well against the pats so if the offense can score 28+ we have a chance.

VegasStlrFan
12-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Anyone who thinks we have played or are playing well enough to get thru the afc is delusional. Love the record and the effort, just know the competionn.

Kanata-Steeler
12-24-2010, 12:56 AM
... F#^*{} the record, to get another ring the o has to show up period.

:applaudit:

And that's why we sometimes feel like they're 4-10 or whatever...

lionslicer
12-24-2010, 01:46 AM
The team in '08 played fantastic situational football all year long both offensively and on the defensive side of the ball. Those other squads all shared one thing in common, great defense.

I remember a lot of crap in 2008 that went wrong with the offense... Especially the redzone offense but, whatever... I'll be like everyone, Steelers will be 1 and done in the playoffs, why watch them anymore!!!

Like seriously, if everyone thinks they'll lose tot he patriots in the playoffs, why watch the rest of the games? You have to have some hope for ****sake

steeltheone
12-24-2010, 05:18 AM
I remember a lot of crap in 2008 that went wrong with the offense... Especially the redzone offense but, whatever... I'll be like everyone, Steelers will be 1 and done in the playoffs, why watch them anymore!!!

Like seriously, if everyone thinks they'll lose tot he patriots in the playoffs, why watch the rest of the games? You have to have some hope for ****sake

The 2008 team played the toughest schedule in the league.

JCPsteelers
12-24-2010, 05:37 AM
The Patriots game is the only one where we got outclassed. The other 3 losses we had a chance to win. Heck I think if Miller doesn't fumble in NO, we were going to take the lead there and possibly win that game.

The team has issues on offensive execution and covering guys in the secondary (most notably its corners). Doesn't mean we can't win in the playoffs although I'd be surprised if they won in NE. Just have to see them beat Brady in a playoff atmosphere before I can believe they can win against them.

BengalDestroyer
12-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Why do fans act like the team is 4-10?

Because we all know we should be playing better, of all the teams we've played that made the playoffs last year we've only beat the Ravens once and the Bungles twice....losing to NO, NE, NYJ, Bal. (once) so... we need to play better especially on offense.

I, however am not worried, once we get past the browns we'll get healthy, have a home game in the post season.....

I hear you though - we shouldn't be in panic mode.

plenewken
12-24-2010, 07:24 AM
It's like an all you can eat buffet. You can stuff yourself with food (number of W) but you also want quality (how they win).
At this point, it's "Eat and Park" not "Grand Concourse".

grward
12-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Our record is a nonfactor. It's how we stack up against the AFC's best that matters. Is there anyone out there who believes we can beat the Cheatriots with the way we are playing ball? Yep, we just beat up on a 2-12 team, but so what, it's like the kid who gets beat up in the school playground and goes home to beat up on his little brother.

saveus1011
12-24-2010, 01:38 PM
We beat the Clowns, rest a week, and we'll roll on from there.

You throw the regular season out the door when January gets here. Remember all those pundits who had San Diego in the Super Bowl last year? Yeah, thought so.

steelcity1974
12-24-2010, 02:22 PM
We have big problems on the O line and special teams coverage...but what's new? The key for us going deep into the playoffs is 1. health of Troy (and getting Aaron Smith back won't hurt), 2. health of Ben, 3. better play from O line and special teams (don't have to be great...just NOT horrible). To me it's as simple as that and we can beat anyone, including Patriots. I still think we played them first time around with a vanila defense and things will be totally different in the playoffs.

plenewken
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
The Patriots game is the only one where we got outclassed. The other 3 losses we had a chance to win. Heck I think if Miller doesn't fumble in NO, we were going to take the lead there and possibly win that game.

The team has issues on offensive execution and covering guys in the secondary (most notably its corners). Doesn't mean we can't win in the playoffs although I'd be surprised if they won in NE. Just have to see them beat Brady in a playoff atmosphere before I can believe they can win against them.

We lost 4 games but le'ts not forget a couple of lucky wins too, in Miami (thanks to the refs) and in Buffalo (thanks to Stevie Johnson). The Steelers don't play like a 11-4 team, especially offensively.

If they don't achieve more efficiency offensively and particularly in the red zone, beating the Patriots at Gillette is pretty much a pipe dream because our secondary will not shut the Pats down, no way. Even with a good defense, it will take at least 30 points to beat them and FGs won't cut the mustard. We'll need 4 TDs and a couple FGs and I don't think our offense can do it. Heck, we couldn't do it against Carolina last night.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-24-2010, 06:05 PM
We have big problems on the O line and special teams coverage...but what's new? The key for us going deep into the playoffs is 1. health of Troy (and getting Aaron Smith back won't hurt), 2. health of Ben, 3. better play from O line and special teams (don't have to be great...just NOT horrible). To me it's as simple as that and we can beat anyone, including Patriots. I still think we played them first time around with a vanila defense and things will be totally different in the playoffs.

This^^^^

ZoneBlitzer
12-24-2010, 11:40 PM
We lost 4 games but le'ts not forget a couple of lucky wins too, in Miami (thanks to the refs) and in Buffalo (thanks to Stevie Johnson). The Steelers don't play like a 11-4 team, especially offensively.

If they don't achieve more efficiency offensively and particularly in the red zone, beating the Patriots at Gillette is pretty much a pipe dream because our secondary will not shut the Pats down, no way. Even with a good defense, it will take at least 30 points to beat them and FGs won't cut the mustard. We'll need 4 TDs and a couple FGs and I don't think our offense can do it. Heck, we couldn't do it against Carolina last night.

Yup. Spot on.

Third Rail
12-25-2010, 01:50 AM
The team has problems, there's no doubt... but the team had problems in 2008, too. And honestly, some things have been better for us this season than in 08: 1. we have a running game 2. Ben's thrown a lot less picks 3. the O-Line (at least in the past two weeks) has been blocking better. Sure, there are plenty of negatives, but any way you look at it, 11-4 is a great record. We make it 12-4 and we definitely have a bye week to get ready for the playoffs, where we tend to shine. It's true, we could choke in the post-season. But we could also end up with Number 7. No team in the league is unbeatable. Yes, the Pats killed us earlier this year, but they also lost to the Browns. The same Browns we smacked down easily. Yes, the Falcons are tied for the best record in the NFL, but guess who beat them (with a raw, inexperienced backup QB, no less)?

Our offense last year was (statistically) better than it has been this year. And yet we wound up 9-7, and because we lost to some really bad teams. Last year can mostly be blamed on our bad defense and horrid special teams. This year, our defense has been tops (other than the Pats game) but our offense has sputtered a bit. Still, I'll take a team that is good overall than a team who is lopsided. That's how you end up 8-8 or worse.

lionslicer
12-25-2010, 03:25 AM
The team has problems, there's no doubt... but the team had problems in 2008, too. And honestly, some things have been better for us this season than in 08: 1. we have a running game 2. Ben's thrown a lot less picks 3. the O-Line (at least in the past two weeks) has been blocking better. Sure, there are plenty of negatives, but any way you look at it, 11-4 is a great record. We make it 12-4 and we definitely have a bye week to get ready for the playoffs, where we tend to shine. It's true, we could choke in the post-season. But we could also end up with Number 7. No team in the league is unbeatable. Yes, the Pats killed us earlier this year, but they also lost to the Browns. The same Browns we smacked down easily. Yes, the Falcons are tied for the best record in the NFL, but guess who beat them (with a raw, inexperienced backup QB, no less)?

Our offense last year was (statistically) better than it has been this year. And yet we wound up 9-7, and because we lost to some really bad teams. Last year can mostly be blamed on our bad defense and horrid special teams. This year, our defense has been tops (other than the Pats game) but our offense has sputtered a bit. Still, I'll take a team that is good overall than a team who is lopsided. That's how you end up 8-8 or worse.

Saintsa couple years ago were 8-8 or 9-7 and had a top offense. Chargershave the worst special teams unit in football (top in offense and defense) and there's a good chance they don't make the playoffs. Colts can't run the ball and their defense can't stop the run, they lost 3 straight, almost dropping out of the playoffs. Colts fans were calling for Mannings head, but now they might make the playoffs.

I can go on, no team is perfect, but if a team stays balanced they'll get somewhere in this league. Steelers are balanced as they'll get until the line gets better, but lets just hope the coaches beat some sense into them during the next 10 days and if they beat the browns, during the bye week.