PDA

View Full Version : Red Zone Offense REALLY...

SteelerEmpire
12-23-2010, 11:39 PM
_______________ fill in the blank.

SH-Rock
12-23-2010, 11:42 PM
It's pretty bad, but I've noticed that Ben has gone back for getting it all. Ben was at the 15 and he kept going for the endzone. Finally on 3rd down he passed to Sanders for 9 yards, but 4th and 1 and they didn't get the first down. If they did that in the beginning then that would've been another TD.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Will be the reason for one and done.

Kanata-Steeler
12-23-2010, 11:58 PM

Yep !

Merchant
12-24-2010, 12:01 AM
They went back to trying to get it all in one shot. Why?

I have faith that it'll get fixed but it's extremely frustrating. Score should've been 50-0.

ZoneBlitzer
12-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Actually I thought Ben should've ditched the glove. Two of his overthrows were solely because of the glove. He loses a bit of accuracy and touch with those gloves on.

Merchant
12-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Actually I thought Ben should've ditched the glove. Two of his overthrows were solely because of the glove. He loses a bit of accuracy and touch with those gloves on.

It's cold out there bro. His hand would probably get a bit numb with the glove off, and that'd be even worse. My theory.

tony hipchest
12-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Actually I thought Ben should've ditched the glove. Two of his overthrows were solely because of the glove. He loses a bit of accuracy and touch with those gloves on.he was like 13/15 196 yds in the 1st half. :hunch:

67% for the game. many w/o gloves in warm weather dont do much better. :noidea:

anyways i have crunched the numbers and according to my calculations the steelers will increase their PPG 3-6 points if they simply kick a fg on 1st down as soon as they cross the 20.

it appears they waste about 9-12 minutes dicking around in the red zone trying to run, taking sacks and missing fg's this season .

by not wasting this time, they will gain 1-2 more offensive possessions per game, and suisham has just about been money (far better than reed).

BA is a genius. nobody would see it coming, and it would catch the entire league off guard.

infact, im willing to bet we defeat cleveland next weekend 15-6 by employing this new revolutionary tactic.

cubanstogie
12-24-2010, 12:38 AM
over 400 yds offense, nearly identical run to pass plays and 27 points and you whiners still aren't happy. LOL and we are gonna be 12-4.

SoCalFan
12-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Average,but has the makings of being GOOD.The line needs to be healthier,that would help.It comes down to PLAY CALLING(BA could make life hard) and excecution.We have plenty of play makers,Roethlisberger,Wallace,Ward,Sanders,Miller, Mendenhall.Dam thats a list!!! Now lets excecute!

SoCalFan
12-24-2010, 12:41 AM
over 400 yds offense, nearly identical run to pass plays and 27 points and you whiners still aren't happy. LOL and we are gonna be 12-4.

Uh,that was the panthers.:flap:

ZoneBlitzer
12-24-2010, 12:42 AM
he was like 13/15 196 yds in the 1st half. :hunch:

67% for the game. many w/o gloves in warm weather dont do much better. :noidea:

anyways i have crunched the numbers and according to my calculations the steelers will increase their PPG 3-6 points if they simply kick a fg on 1st down as soon as they cross the 20.

it appears they waste about 9-12 minutes dicking around in the red zone trying to run, taking sacks and missing fg's this season .

by not wasting this time, they will gain 1-2 more offensive possessions per game, and suisham has just about been money (far better than reed).

BA is a genius. nobody would see it coming, and it would catch the entire league off guard.

infact, im willing to bet we defeat cleveland next weekend 15-6 by employing this new revolutionary tactic.

Yeah but he had a two passes sail on him over receivers in the end zone. This is because of added grip and strength when using the glove. I've seen Ben with glove and Ben sans glove like all of you and I prefer to see him play without.

cubanstogie
12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Uh,that was the panthers.:flap:

well if we can't give kudos to offense when we play the panthers, we can't criticize the offense when we play the Ravens. You can't have it both ways.

Kanata-Steeler
12-24-2010, 04:11 AM
So far, our "D" has been the "Red Zone Offense REALLY...."

Whodis
12-24-2010, 08:02 AM
I agree the one series where we went for 17yds instead of 5 was Ba being BA.

With that said, I think the goal line offense with Legursky as a FB is going to keep producing. The defense really stacks up against it and during the playoffs a bootleg to Miller or just have #7 run it in.

DanRooney
12-24-2010, 09:39 AM

Been overthrowing all year. I pointed this out since week 6 or 7 on another board. Something is wrong with his mechanics when he was training with that QB coach in the four weeks. He is throwing less INTs, but under-throwing Wallace is a lot better than overthrowing him as seen today on his long catch and a dozen of other times. His ability to adjust to a poorly thrown ball is uncanny.

grward
12-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Wow, you must be psychic. Exactly how do you know this?

Steelstoned1972
12-24-2010, 10:09 AM
im with cuban stogie. alot of you guys are chicken little. we are 11-4 and far from perfect but if our o-line continues to improve and our players get healthy, we can beat anybody if we dont shoot ourselves in the foot. i realize we have been shooting ourselves in the foot all year , but i think we have a run in us if healthy. and we can bash arians for his imperfections but our losses have been attributed to special teams and poor pass defense as well as porous oline play @ times and iffy playcalling. so the blame is on the team not one man.

jizzballz
12-24-2010, 10:12 AM

lol you will be whining when the patriots own us in the afc championship game.

mesaSteeler
12-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Agree. Our redzone offense will bounce us out of the playoffs. How many YEARS have we had this problem. Why is Tomlin given a pass for Arians incompetence?

mesaSteeler
12-24-2010, 10:21 AM

I have faith that it'll get fixed but it's extremely frustrating. Score should've been 50-0.

Because Arians is a fool and Tomlin is spineless for not firing him. I have no faith it will be fixed.

cubanstogie
12-24-2010, 10:39 AM
lol you will be whining when the patriots own us in the afc championship game.

I don't whine about losing football games. Disappointed yes. Losing to the Pats will not be only BA's fault if it happens. Our D was chewed up by them, hardly BA's fault. I hardly think BA is a great OC, I would say average and if they can get better great but to blame him is delusional. We got schooled on offense and defensive line of scrimmage against the Pats. People act like we are the best team and BA is bringing us down. Not the case, our line is one of the worst in the league that is why we are inconsistent, yet we will end our season 12-4 and anything can happen in playoffs.2 of our top 3 receivers are young and progressing, another reason for inconsistency.

stb_steeler
12-24-2010, 10:49 AM

I thought so to. score should of been much higher. Redzone problems seem to still haunt them.

USWSteel
12-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Your right the offense did produce last night, against a 2-12 team. I cant get too excited about that. Ben put up some good completion numbers and yardage, again the Panthers have 2 wins. I heard something on ESPN yesterday that was unreal.... Sanchez had 2 completions against the Steelers over 12 yards last week !!!! But yet we cant score enough points to beat that team ? Ben may have what seems to be a first glance a good season going but to me, its a below average season. He has had his good moments this year, but way too many bad throws, bad sacks and terrible games where he just cant get this offense moving against some terrible teams. Yesterday was a start, if he would have done that against the Jets I would feel alot better about the playoffs.

steelcityboyz
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Will be the reason for one and done.Agreed.

Third Rail
12-24-2010, 11:18 AM

This.

btaylor179
12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
with the way the o is playing it will be early exit in the playoffs....crazy with all that talent

mesaSteeler
12-24-2010, 12:40 PM
with the way the o is playing it will be early exit in the playoffs....crazy with all that talent

This is why I am so frustrated with Tomlin and the Airhead. We have the talent to win another SuperBowl but it's not being used correctly. :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

Steelerfreak58
12-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Field Goals wont beat the Patriots, Chargers, Indy, or the Jets,... maybe the Ravens...

This offense reminds me of the Bubby Brister days... they would march down the field get inside the 10 and settle for 3... Lots of 3's....

SteelerEmpire
12-24-2010, 04:38 PM
The problem is the "Who's Who" of the Steelers are all students of defense: Tomlin is defense, Lebeau is defense, the Rooney's are defense.... all that's left is Arians and he is'ent nothing... thus the consistent problems with the Offense...it won't go away (and if you guys noticed, it has'ent gone away) until a O-Coordinator change is made or the Rooney's apply substantial pressure on Arians...

mesaSteeler
12-24-2010, 04:49 PM
The problem is the "Who's Who" of the Steelers are all students of defense: Tomlin is defense, Lebeau is defense, the Rooney's are defense.... all that's left is Arians and he is'ent nothing... thus the consistent problems with the Offense...it won't go away (and if you guys noticed, it has'ent gone away) until a O-Coordinator change is made or the Rooney's apply substantial pressure on Arians...

It's Tomlin job to hire or fire his coordinators. Say what you like about Cowher but he wasn't shy about changing coordinators when he had to.

moedap
12-24-2010, 04:49 PM
I have 2 cures for the Redzone problem: A committment to find Heath or Ward. They have proven over the years that they should be the targets in the Red Zone. I know Ward has lost a step but speed isnt needed in the red zone. A player finding a hole in the zone is what is needed and Ward is a master at finding the holes. And Heath also knows how to find a hole and catch those bullets from Ben. I dont even care if the other team knows its going to them.

cubanstogie
12-24-2010, 05:13 PM

just out of curiosity where do you think we stand as far as offensive talent in the league. It seems some people think we should be stomping every team we face and that every game we under achieve offensively. My guess is in the top ten but not in the top 5. I am talking AFC and NFC.

ricardisimo
12-24-2010, 05:16 PM
On the one hand, they absolutely refuse to make Mendehall the workhorse, and so they give Moore the carries at their own three yard line :banging: and an unbelievable number of third-down carries (which would make sense if he were catching screens, but he's not). Fine. Split his time and extend his career. I like it.

So then, why are we not experimenting with Redman in the red zone? He's demonstrated a real nose for the goal line, so let's give him a shot. Don't say it's because of his fumbling, because in that case he shouldn't be playing at all.

Stop running Moore on 3rd and two. We should either be giving Mendy 25-30 carries a game or splitting him with Redman/Dwyer, particularly in the red zone and at goal line.

SteelerEmpire
12-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I have 2 cures for the Redzone problem: A committment to find Heath or Ward. They have proven over the years that they should be the targets in the Red Zone. I know Ward has lost a step but speed isnt needed in the red zone. A player finding a hole in the zone is what is needed and Ward is a master at finding the holes. And Heath also knows how to find a hole and catch those bullets from Ben. I dont even care if the other team knows its going to them.

Bingo. In addition, short passes to Moore was killing defenses in this area as well...

ZoneBlitzer
12-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Wow, you must be psychic. Exactly how do you know this?

I am a student of Mr. Miyagi.

plenewken
12-25-2010, 09:17 AM
The problem is the "Who's Who" of the Steelers are all students of defense: Tomlin is defense, Lebeau is defense, the Rooney's are defense....

True but they pay the offense much more than the defense so they should expect greater production and better results from it.

NYC_Steeler
12-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Stinks.