PDA

View Full Version : 3 Amigos

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 01:13 AM
I am really liking Wallace, Sanders, and Brown.

They are all starting to develop chemistry with Ben.

I like Ward but he is on his last legs. I expect hm to retire after this year. Hopefully we can send him out with a bang.

Brown will be great as a slot receiver.

Mike "60 minutes" Wallace
Emmanuel "The Colonel" Sanders
Antonio "Bandaras" Brown

austinfrench76
12-24-2010, 01:15 AM
It would be great to send Ward out like Bettis!!!!

tony hipchest
12-24-2010, 01:24 AM
cute name, but not worth sending ward out to pasture just yet.

last week cromartie was primarily matched up on wallace, which means "revis island" had ward.

as long as he is still drawing teams #1 cb's, he is not going to retire. he loves playing like brett favre loves playing.

people say he is on his "last legs" as if he ever had "first legs".

he lacks an ACL.

hines ward

brett favre

MattsMe
12-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Ward has another good year left in him. He did say he would be done if we win another ring though.

MattsMe
12-24-2010, 01:26 AM
hines ward

brett favre

:applaudit::tt02::thumbsup:

Definitely.

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 01:28 AM
cute name, but not worth sending ward out to pasture just yet.

last week cromartie was primarily matched up on wallace, which means "revis island" had ward.

as long as he is still drawing teams #1 cb's, he is not going to retire. he loves playing like brett favre loves playing.

people say he is on his "last legs" as if he ever had "first legs".

he lacks an ACL.

hines ward

brett favre

I saw Revis on Sanders for some plays but i can't tell you what percentage he had Ward. I like the guy but I'd like him to finish on top. He has had a few magical games but it is not every week and now it is becoming more no than yes. I

jacksolomon
12-24-2010, 01:32 AM
The same nickname was given to 3 young receivers of John Elway's back in the late 1980s who turned out to be a fairly mediocre bunch overall (Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson and Ricky Nattiel). Please don't curse our players like that.

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Ward has another good year left in him. He did say he would be done if we win another ring though.

I'm not so sure about that. I hope he shows up in the playoffs. We really need him to step it up. He is really having trouble getting open.

Brown is starting to catch everything now.

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 01:34 AM
The same nickname was given to 3 young receivers of John Elway's back in the late 1980s who turned out to be a fairly mediocre bunch overall (Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson and Ricky Nattiel). Please don't curse our players like that.

lol...I forgot about them.

MattsMe
12-24-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm not so sure about that. I hope he shows up in the playoffs. We really need him to step it up. He is really having trouble getting open.

Brown only had 2 catches. Ward had 3. :noidea:

Ward's coming off back to back 1,000 yard seasons, and he's on pace for about 760 yards this year. Not great, but not bad considering he was without his QB for a 1/4 of the season, and he was knocked out of one game.

It does seem like he's had trouble getting open some this year. So has every other receiver on the roster.

tony hipchest
12-24-2010, 02:07 AM

i disagree with your analysis and strongly feel that you are confusing hines ward with randle el.

antonio brown only had 2 receptions tonight but i will agree that both him and sanders proved as early as the preseason that they have hands of glue (i expected that as they both combined for about 600 receptions in college).

browns 12 receptions on the year now hardly constitutes 'catching everything".

wallace leads the team with 57 receptions.

hines- 54
sanders - 27
el- 20
brown- 12

:noidea:

kudos to the coaches for obeying direct orders from the boss to get young players more involved (brown/sanders/pouncey.

it is the prudent thing to do, but as of now (and even up until the beginning of next season) brown is nothing more than the #4. ward is #2 .

im curious.... in your opinion has hines lost a step in his blocking game and run support?

are you discounting holmes, wallace, brown, sanders (all about hines clones in stature) all benefiting from hines mentorship and "on the field" example?

pete74
12-24-2010, 06:34 AM
To me Ward looks the same as last season. Wallace emerged as our #1 guy(hopefully we resign him soon because his price is going up every year) and were trying to get the rookies involved so there just isn't enough to go around for Ward. I'm sure he will do his usual and make a really important grab in the playoffs when the game is on the line and everyones views will change.

I hope Ward sticks around for at least another season to help Brown and Sanders work on there routs.

Whodis
12-24-2010, 08:17 AM

I don't understand this statement whatsoever. He's drawing the other opposing teams best DB and has to be the most complete offensive player in the game. IMO the criticism Ward and Farrior have been getting because of their age is futile.

If Brown replaces Ward in the hurry up offense, how would we get him back onside after a first down catch?

BengalDestroyer
12-24-2010, 08:20 AM
The Three Amigos!!!! I like that, and love this trio, can't wait until them and Ben are firing on all cylinders....

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Brown only had 2 catches. Ward had 3. :noidea:

Ward's coming off back to back 1,000 yard seasons, and he's on pace for about 760 yards this year. Not great, but not bad considering he was without his QB for a 1/4 of the season, and he was knocked out of one game.

It does seem like he's had trouble getting open some this year. So has every other receiver on the roster.

I wasn't saying that brown is a better player than Ward although I think he would have an easier time getting open. We can't compare catches since Ward is a Starter and is in on every play while Brown is the #4 guy and often wasn't playing.

It appears the Steelers have been using the 3WR set out of respect for Ward. This minimizes the damage caused by him not getting open. If it were just he and Wallace, they could just triple team Wallace...then what? I think it is 3 and 4 WR sets from now on. If Ward gets open, consider it a bonus but don't depend on it.

Having Sanders and Brown frees up Wallace a little.

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 01:06 PM
i disagree with your analysis and strongly feel that you are confusing hines ward with randle el.

antonio brown only had 2 receptions tonight but i will agree that both him and sanders proved as early as the preseason that they have hands of glue (i expected that as they both combined for about 600 receptions in college).

it is the prudent thing to do, but as of now (and even up until the beginning of next season) brown is nothing more than the #4. ward is #2 .

im curious.... in your opinion has hines lost a step in his blocking game and run support?

are you discounting holmes, wallace, brown, sanders (all about hines clones in stature) all benefiting from hines mentorship and "on the field" example?

No doubt Hines has been a great coach but that is not what we are discussing here.
No doubt Hines is perhaps the best blocking WR in the league.

We are talking about receiving. It is true that he (and Wallace) were without Ben and it has affected his numbers but i have only been focused on when Ben has returned.

As far as comparing Brown's catches, what can Brown do if he doesn't get to play? Whenever they DO throw it to him, he catches it and 5 have been on 3rd down (4 first downs made). What I like about a receiver is catching what is thrown to him.

Hines has been hit or miss. In some games he has been awesome...not regular but awesome...then in other games he has not shown up. All I'm saying is that if he shows up for the playoffs, that will be a difference maker.

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't understand this statement whatsoever. He's drawing the other opposing teams best DB and has to be the most complete offensive player in the game. IMO the criticism Ward and Farrior have been getting because of their age is futile.

If Brown replaces Ward in the hurry up offense, how would we get him back onside after a first down catch?

I disagree that ward has been drawing the other teams best CBs. Sometimes they have put the 3rd best on him (with 2nd best on Sanders). The only reason why Revis covered him during part of the Jets game is because he was nursing a hamstring injury.

There have been several games where Ward has not shown up. Only the Steelers know why. I am assuming he has been having trouble getting open. If he were open, why wouldn't Ben get it to him more?

MACH1
12-24-2010, 01:35 PM

wallace leads the team with 57 receptions.

hines- 54
sanders - 27
el- 20
brown- 12

:noidea:

kudos to the coaches for obeying direct orders from the boss to get young players more involved (brown/sanders/pouncey.

I agree.

Ward's leadership and on the field coaching are irreplaceable.

People seem to forget how when Hines was out for a game earlier this year how lost the youngens looked out there. And a loss at that.

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I agree.

Ward's leadership and on the field coaching are irreplaceable.

People seem to forget how when Hines was out for a game earlier this year how lost the youngens looked out there. And a loss at that.

If he wants to be a coach, he can come back as a coach.

The reason they looked so bad is because they were not expecting to play and also that was early before Ben started developing a good relationship with Sanders. In addition, Randel El was given the starting job.

He is a great player when he comes through. He has had hits and misses and for the payoffs, he needs to be a hit every game.

Goldsteel86
12-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Hines is a possession receiver who has came up really big for us this year. He is not used as a "big play" threat, we owe it to him to enjoy everything he does. This man has fought through all odds and consistently plays tough and at gives it his all, he never takes a play off. Now I keep reading about Brown, basic bottom line is Sanders is leaps and bounds above Brown right now, he is and will be the proven one of the two.

saveus1011
12-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Right now, they're The Musketeers with Ward.

When he leaves, then they're the Three Amigos.

MACH1
12-24-2010, 03:11 PM
If he wants to be a coach, he can come back as a coach.

The reason they looked so bad is because they were not expecting to play and also that was early before Ben started developing a good relationship with Sanders. In addition, Randel El was given the starting job.

He is a great player when he comes through. He has had hits and misses and for the payoffs, he needs to be a hit every game.

:doh::doh::doh:

Not expecting to play???? They should have been prepared regardless!

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 04:07 PM
:doh::doh::doh:

Not expecting to play???? They should have been prepared regardless!

That's not how it works. Back in that game, Sanders and Brown had been given limited time to play and this limited time with Ben. Teams practice and come up with a game plan for a reason. If they had known Ward was not going to play and had practiced all week with Sanders and Brown, they would have done better.

Remember that back then Sanders was not even #3...ARE was.

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Hines is a possession receiver who has came up really big for us this year. He is not used as a "big play" threat, we owe it to him to enjoy everything he does. This man has fought through all odds and consistently plays tough and at gives it his all, he never takes a play off. Now I keep reading about Brown, basic bottom line is Sanders is leaps and bounds above Brown right now, he is and will be the proven one of the two.

Hines has done a lot for us and when the playoffs come, we will need him to come through in all 3 playoff games (inc. SB)...no off games.

Even tough he did nothing outside that one catch in SB 43, I was reminded that he was injured.

SH-Rock
12-24-2010, 04:11 PM
The past few games I am just loving Sanders. He's making some very big plays. Last night he caught a pass that was 20+ and I thought it was Wallace, but I surprised to see it was Sanders. Now if only Brown can step up then I think our receiving corp would be the most dangerous in the next 2-3 years.

lionslicer
12-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Ward and Wallace are taking up the starting corners, that leaves Sanders and Brown to feed on the backups, and both of them have the skills of starters. If a team runs a zone, that leaves the running backs and tightends open. There is a lot of skill on the offense... If the Steelers build that offensive line and pass defensive, they'd be a dynasty again.

Ward knows he isn't great anymore, I've seen a couple times were Ward actually goes to the sideline and Wallace and Sanders are on the field. If the NFL goes to 18 games next season, he'll probably retire.

SteelerEmpire
12-24-2010, 04:46 PM
I am really liking Wallace, Sanders, and Brown.

They are all starting to develop chemistry with Ben.

I like Ward but he is on his last legs. I expect hm to retire after this year. Hopefully we can send him out with a bang.

Brown will be great as a slot receiver.

Mike "60 minutes" Wallace
Emmanuel "The Colonel" Sanders
Antonio "Bandaras" Brown

Yea. Its almost too good to be true. I am almost willing to bet that either Sanders or Brown end up getting an offer they can't refuse over the off-season from some other team... but hopefully I'm wrong...

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I think some of y'all need to stop cutting so much baking soda with your crack (j/k). Even when Hines is having an "off day" and not making catches, watch him! He is out there blocking and taking up at least one of the other team's best coverage guys. With Ward out of the game, I guarantee Wallace, Sanders, and Brown don't have as easy a time getting open.

He has a lost a step speed-wise, but good thing Ward is a POSESSION RECEIVER-- speed is not essential. Speed has never been a part of Ward's game. He has always been an expert at reading the zones, finding the holes and then camping out in them until Ben throws him the ball (which he almost always comes down with having "magnet hands").

He is "washed up", but has still had more 100-yard games than any of our other receivers this season, if I am not mistaken.

Losing Holmes WAS a bit of a blow to our offense. Wallace is awesome, but he is only jst now starting to look comfortable with all of the short to intermediate routes that Holmes used to excel at (as well as Ward). When we had Holmes, opposing defenses had to account for Holmes AND Ward both working the underneath stuff, AND had to look out for Wallace deep. With Holmes gone, and two rookie receivers still learning the ropes, Ward has had all the underneath to intermediate stuff to himself, which has hurt his production a little since opposing defenses could key on him moreso than in the past few seasons.

But he still has plenty of football left in him (although if Ward were to retire today-- I would not be mad at him as a fan-- he has given me 13 great years of football to watch, got me back into watching football seriously again back in the 1990's, 2 championships, and a great teammate to the other guys-- he owes me nothing)...

SteelKnight
12-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Ward and Wallace are taking up the starting corners, that leaves Sanders and Brown to feed on the backups, and both of them have the skills of starters. If a team runs a zone, that leaves the running backs and tightends open. There is a lot of skill on the offense... If the Steelers build that offensive line and pass defensive, they'd be a dynasty again.

Ward knows he isn't great anymore, I've seen a couple times were Ward actually goes to the sideline and Wallace and Sanders are on the field. If the NFL goes to 18 games next season, he'll probably retire.

I think sometimes Ward gets the third CB.

SH-Rock
12-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I think some of y'all need to stop cutting so much baking soda with your crack (j/k). Even when Hines is having an "off day" and not making catches, watch him! He is out there blocking and taking up at least one of the other team's best coverage guys. With Ward out of the game, I guarantee Wallace, Sanders, and Brown don't have as easy a time getting open.

He has a lost a step speed-wise, but good thing Ward is a POSESSION RECEIVER-- speed is not essential. Speed has never been a part of Ward's game. He has always been an expert at reading the zones, finding the holes and then camping out in them until Ben throws him the ball (which he almost always comes down with having "magnet hands").

He is "washed up", but has still had more 100-yard games than any of our other receivers this season, if I am not mistaken.

Losing Holmes WAS a bit of a blow to our offense. Wallace is awesome, but he is only jst now starting to look comfortable with all of the short to intermediate routes that Holmes used to excel at (as well as Ward). When we had Holmes, opposing defenses had to account for Holmes AND Ward both working the underneath stuff, AND had to look out for Wallace deep. With Holmes gone, and two rookie receivers still learning the ropes, Ward has had all the underneath to intermediate stuff to himself, which has hurt his production a little since opposing defenses could key on him moreso than in the past few seasons.

But he still has plenty of football left in him (although if Ward were to retire today-- I would not be mad at him as a fan-- he has given me 13 great years of football to watch, got me back into watching football seriously again back in the 1990's, 2 championships, and a great teammate to the other guys-- he owes me nothing)...

Hines will never get washed up. He might not move us down the field a lot, but he helps others. Look at a lot of the running plays. You can see Hines take 1 or 2 guys out of the defense. Look at when Wallace or Sanders catch a short pass, Hines would risk his body just for his team.

lionslicer
12-24-2010, 09:56 PM
I think sometimes Ward gets the third CB.

I did say sometimes he does and thats when he gets his catches....

Whodis
12-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Hines has done a lot for us and when the playoffs come, we will need him to come through in all 3 playoff games (inc. SB)...[B]no off games.[/B
]Even tough he did nothing outside that one catch in SB 43, I was reminded that he was injured.

Do tou think Hines takes games off? crazy
I wish you would back up some of your statements and tell me when he takes plays off.

I assume Sanders runs poor routes, but I don't know this for a fact so i don't make a point of it.

For example..... "Matt Spaeth is a good back-up, however when he gets the oppurtunity to do great things he blows it"

steeltheone
12-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Brown and Sanders have the skills but as of now no DBS are shaking in their boots. I think they are coming along nicely. I expect next year we will see a huge improvement. Just image if Sweed pulls through!

Rick5895
12-25-2010, 01:57 PM
To me Ward looks the same as last season. Wallace emerged as our #1 guy(hopefully we resign him soon because his price is going up every year) and were trying to get the rookies involved so there just isn't enough to go around for Ward. I'm sure he will do his usual and make a really important grab in the playoffs when the game is on the line and everyones views will change.

I hope Ward sticks around for at least another season to help Brown and Sanders work on there routs.

Well said. We need Ward for at least another season, he is teaching the "steeler way" to these young guys and he is still productive, although dropping to many passes for my liking.

:tt04:

SteelKnight
12-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Do tou think Hines takes games off? crazy
I wish you would back up some of your statements and tell me when he takes plays off.

I assume Sanders runs poor routes, but I don't know this for a fact so i don't make a point of it.

For example..... "Matt Spaeth is a good back-up, however when he gets the oppurtunity to do great things he blows it"

I never said Ward takes games off. This is a matter of miscommunication. That would mean I was saying that sometimes he doesn't try.

I meant that sometimes his game is off. It may be a reflection of who is covering him or other circumstances but I have no doubt he is trying. The question is "Is his full effort good enough?"

We are going to need better than "try"...we will need "come through".

SteelKnight
12-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Brown and Sanders have the skills but as of now no DBS are shaking in their boots. I think they are coming along nicely. I expect next year we will see a huge improvement. Just image if Sweed pulls through!

LOL. I'm giving Sweed one more year too. lol For one thing, he should have had time to memorize the playbook. lol

SteelKnight
12-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Well said. We need Ward for at least another season, he is teaching the "steeler way" to these young guys and he is still productive, although dropping to many passes for my liking.

:tt04:

I think he should spend one year as a WR coach for the Steelers.

jjpro11
12-25-2010, 02:43 PM
i like that stat they showed last game.. somewhere around 70% of Ward's receptions are between the hash-marks.. there just aren't many guys in the league willing to do that on a consistent basis. him and Miller do a great job freeing Wallace up outside.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-25-2010, 08:12 PM

I hear ya.

I think Sanders and Brown, as well as the rest of our offense, is only just now hitting their midseason stride. Not having Ben for the first month hurt more than just stat-lines. Also, the injuries on the offensive line have caused our offense to take longer to reach its potential.

Sanders and Brown will only get better, as their routes become automatic, so they can concentrate on the ball. Most receivers have a dramatic jump in performance from their first to second seasons. Defenses are starting to have to gameplan and take them into account now.

And, heck yeah. We always forget about Sweed. While we don't abo****ely need him, imagine if he recovers and actually shows up next season? We will be loaded at WR, and then we can dump Randle El and Battle (although Battle has been a major special teams contributor).

SteelKnight
12-26-2010, 05:44 PM
i like that stat they showed last game.. somewhere around 70% of Ward's receptions are between the hash-marks.. there just aren't many guys in the league willing to do that on a consistent basis. him and Miller do a great job freeing Wallace up outside.

Wallace frees himself up. If those two were more productive consistently , it would help Wallace more.