PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Redman Should be the Starter!

3rdandlong
12-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Every time Redman is in the game he makes things happen, and I'm not just talking about the 25 yarder he busted near the end of the game. He does so many of the little things. He can get you the tough yards, he recognizes the hole quickly and moves north. He runs hard in the redzone, near the goal line Mendenhall, on the other hand, dances too much at the line, lacks sufficient strength to get the tough yards, is ineffective near the goal line. You can't tell me Redman would not have gotten in on those 2 carries that Mendenhall had on the 1 yard line. Perhaps Mendenhall is better at picking up blitzes, very important in giving Ben more time on a blitz, but Redman has impressed me running the ball so much that I would start him over Mendenhall. At the very least get him more carries. If you watch the Steelers regularly, it is easy to see that whenever Redman is in the game he is more effective than Mendenhall. What is Tomlin thinking not playing this guy more?

PhantomJB93
12-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Mendenhall is 1000000000x better than Redman will ever be, The only reason he doesn't get good runs is because of a.) the Oline, obviously, and b.) Arians calls some of the most assinine run plays I've ever seen, and never adjusts to what is working or what plays are best for Mendenhall's skillset.

ETL
12-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Uh...

No!

sharkweek
12-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Redman fumbled once and almost did it again on his next try

he's at best a complementary back, albeit a damned good one, but definitely not a starter

3rdandlong
12-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Mendenhall is 1000000000x better than Redman will ever be, The only reason he doesn't get good runs is because of a.) the Oline, obviously, and b.) Arians calls some of the most assinine run plays I've ever seen, and never adjusts to what is working or what plays are best for Mendenhall's skillset.

Redman has the same offensive line to work with and he gets better runs than Mendenhall. Arians does suck as an offensive playcaller, but that's another matter.

ZoneBlitzer
12-24-2010, 12:58 AM
I like Redman. I like the way he fights for yards. He is certainly deserving of more carries. With Mendy, he just doesn't do it for me. I don't see the power everyone raves about. I see a player that is at times indecisive and relatively easy to tackle. Look at the opposing back tonight Jonathan Stewart. He's the same size and looks to have about twice the strength and determination.

SoCalFan
12-24-2010, 01:41 AM
NO! Moore should not play as much.Mendy is a thourobred!!!

pete74
12-24-2010, 04:45 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Mendy and redman each get between 10-15 touches next week and see who comes out on top. Redman does look good on his runs but so does Mendy

JCPsteelers
12-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Haha, uh put down the Iron City man.

Whodis
12-24-2010, 06:51 AM
I agree with the idea of Mendenhall and Redman. I hate to see any player get hurt. For Arians, having Moore dressed is like having an ex-girlfiends phone number in the cell after a night of drinking.

I'm placing my chips on Mendenhall and one can only imagine how many yards he could have if he could make it through the line. Yesterday was tough running, but the Panthers pretty much committed to stopping it.

BengalDestroyer
12-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Redman does need to play more. I saw Moore get hurt and can't remember if he came back in the game but if he's out next week we will get to see Redman more. I don't think that he should start over Mendenhall but should be the number two back in front of Moore.

Whodis
12-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Redman does need to play more. I saw Moore get hurt and can't remember if he came back in the game but if he's out next week we will get to see Redman more. I don't think that he should start over Mendenhall but should be the number two back in front of Moore.

During post game MT said Moore had a knee injury. Sounded kind of serious?

cubanstogie
12-24-2010, 08:55 AM
During post game MT said Moore had a knee injury. Sounded kind of serious?

don't want to see injury obviously but IMO Moore and ARE should be emergency fill ins at best now. Moore was utilized better as a receiver 3 years ago in playoffs and now I will slam BA like you guys do, giving Moore a handoff is a wasted play its insane same play expecting different resulsts.. Only production I can see from him is receiving and thats a pretty remote chance. Back to thread no way Redman should start over Mendy but he should play more and would like to see a 2 back set with once in a while.

jizzballz
12-24-2010, 09:07 AM
jamaal charles will be the beast of the 2008 NFL running back draft class... gauranteed

SteelerEmpire
12-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Redman's style of running reminds me of a guy from back in the day named Earl Campbell. Also the Bus and the current Marice Jones Drew...

TRH
12-24-2010, 09:46 AM
i really don't even like seeing Moore in the game anymore...

SteelCityMom
12-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I think Redman should get more touches, but no way is he starting material yet.

USWSteel
12-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Ummm, no .

Third Rail
12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I like Redman a lot and I think he should definitely be the one to get the carries when they're on the 5-yard line or closer to the endzone. He seems to handled short yardage better than Mendenhall. I also think they should give him more carries... not necessarily and even split between him and Mendy, but maybe more of a 65/35% kind of thing.

As for Moore...I'll always love him for for his amazing contributions during our Super Bowl campaign two years ago, but it's time for him to either hang it up or only be used on third down to catch check down passes.

moedap
12-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Moore is a football player. He may not be a starter but he is very productive in this offense and a legitimate threat anyone suggesting he shouldnt get any playing time must not be watching the same games I am watching. Redman has been a pleasant surprise but no way is he a starter over Mendenhall although i do think he should get more calls on the short distance situations.

PhantomJB93
12-24-2010, 02:12 PM
jamaal charles will be the beast of the 2008 NFL running back draft class... gauranteed

Off topic but I agree with this, if he weren't splitting with Thomas Jones I am thoroughly convinced he would be leading the NFL in every major rushing category and might even have had a better year than Chris Johnson's 09 season.

Whodis
12-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Moore is a football player. He may not be a starter but he is very productive in this offense and a legitimate threat anyone suggesting he shouldnt get any playing time must not be watching the same games I am watching. Redman has been a pleasant surprise but no way is he a starter over Mendenhall although i do think he should get more calls on the short distance situations.

I think we are watching different games. The games I watch #21 reminds me of a slower / older version of Mendenhall. He's not as physical as Redman and I really don't understand pulling 34 off the field for him.

The duo of Mendenhall / Redman would be brutal IMO

jjpro11
12-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Mendenhall creates half the yards he gains on his own.. more often than not he is first contacted at or behind the LOS. i like Redman in his current role, but Mendenhall is a beast.

lionslicer
12-24-2010, 03:06 PM
I think we are watching different games. The games I watch #21 reminds me of a slower / older version of Mendenhall. He's not as physical as Redman and I really don't understand pulling 34 off the field for him.

The duo of Mendenhall / Redman would be brutal IMO

Mendenhall isn't the great blitz picker upper, he's a great blocker when he doesn't pick it up, but he has trouble figuring out who's blitzing. Redman is a little better at it, but he's not a great pass blocker. Moore is very good at knowing who's going to blitz, but he's lost a lot of strength and can't block as well anymore, they only like him probably because he atleast gets inbetween the defender and Ben giving Ben atleast a half second more time.

I like Redman, but the only reason he's getting like 7+ yards a carry, is because he only comes a couple times a game, and usually he's running from a formation that Arians doesn't usually run from. Its actually a rare good playcall by Arians when he does this. Redman is too physical, where Mendenhall might see a whole and juke though it, Redman would try to power his way through it, and more than likely would lead to a short gain. Thought I'd like to see Redman on the goalline more often.

SteelerEmpire
12-24-2010, 03:30 PM
We need a speedster that can take it around the outside and down the sidelines... that weak, predictable up the middle hand-off is about all both Mendy and Redman can pull off... that play depends heavily on the O-line creating holes which is one of this team's weaknesses. In addition, by the very nature of that play, it takes an eternity for Ben to have his arm stretched out there with the ball in it and giving it to Mendy, by the time Mendy is ready to run the defense is already on top of him... terrible...

fer522
12-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Mendenhall creates half the yards he gains on his own.. more often than not he is first contacted at or behind the LOS. i like Redman in his current role, but Mendenhall is a beast.

Mendy
17 att for 30 yds avg. 1.76
1 att for 35 yds
yeah heīs a beast

Redman
5 att for 43 yds avg.8.6

they both have the same O-line :doh:
hes good but cīmon a BEAST :noidea:

ricardisimo
12-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Redman's style of running reminds me of a guy from back in the day named Earl Campbell. Also the Bus and the current Marice Jones Drew...
I'm not seeing it. Redman's good, and will hopefully get better. He'd obviously be a steal. But I'm not seeing the similarities with any of those guys. One of them gets low, the other barreled high, and Bettis was actually a bit of a twinkle-toes... what does Redman have in common with all of them?

Given that Mendenhall fumbled and got benched, I doubt Redman can do the same and just take over the starting position. Ain't gonna happen.

One thing we have some evidence on is that he can get into the endzone... so how many times have we seen him on goal-line? :scratchchin:

lionslicer
12-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Mendy
17 att for 30 yds avg. 1.76
1 att for 35 yds
yeah heīs a beast

Redman
5 att for 43 yds avg.8.6

they both have the same O-line :doh:
hes good but cīmon a BEAST :noidea:

Its the plays they get. Redman is runing on like 2nd and long usually or from a formation the steelers normally don't run from so he catches the defense by surprise. If he was the starter his numbers would be the same as mendenhalls

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-24-2010, 04:51 PM
I like Redman a lot and I think he should definitely be the one to get the carries when they're on the 5-yard line or closer to the endzone. He seems to handled short yardage better than Mendenhall. I also think they should give him more carries... not necessarily and even split between him and Mendy, but maybe more of a 65/35% kind of thing.

As for Moore...I'll always love him for for his amazing contributions during our Super Bowl campaign two years ago, but it's time for him to either hang it up or only be used on third down to catch check down passes.

This^^^^

No way Redman should replace Mendy. But they should give Redman a lot more carries. Moore is just painful to watch anymore, maybe he is just having an off-year, they guys are allowed to do that once in a while. Redman should be the #2 guy/3rd down back right now.

The 65/35 thing sounds about right.

Third Rail
12-25-2010, 02:00 AM
This^^^^

No way Redman should replace Mendy. But they should give Redman a lot more carries. Moore is just painful to watch anymore, maybe he is just having an off-year, they guys are allowed to do that once in a while. Redman should be the #2 guy/3rd down back right now.

The 65/35 thing sounds about right.

Yeah, most teams run a consistent 2-back system. But Arians' (or maybe it's Tomlin's) selection of RBs always has me scratching my head. It's like they either want Mendy to run it 100% of the time when he's struggling, and the rest of the time they can't figure out who they want running the ball so they keep going back and forth between Moore and Mendy, with Redman getting the shaft.

Whodis
12-25-2010, 08:12 AM
For the life of me I can't figure out what Moore brings to the table.

Mendenhall can catch the ball out of the backfield and is much faster.

Redman can block and plow through the line on short yardage

Rick5895
12-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Mendy is a better back, but Redman is 3X the back Moore is, and Redman is now starting to pick up the blitz better. He should be the 3rd down back.

SoCalFan
12-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Moore has done some nice things for us in the past,clearly a shell of his old self.

rich4eagle
12-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Every time Redman is in the game he makes things happen, and I'm not just talking about the 25 yarder he busted near the end of the game. He does so many of the little things. He can get you the tough yards, he recognizes the hole quickly and moves north. He runs hard in the redzone, near the goal line Mendenhall, on the other hand, dances too much at the line, lacks sufficient strength to get the tough yards, is ineffective near the goal line. You can't tell me Redman would not have gotten in on those 2 carries that Mendenhall had on the 1 yard line. Perhaps Mendenhall is better at picking up blitzes, very important in giving Ben more time on a blitz, but Redman has impressed me running the ball so much that I would start him over Mendenhall. At the very least get him more carries. If you watch the Steelers regularly, it is easy to see that whenever Redman is in the game he is more effective than Mendenhall. What is Tomlin thinking not playing this guy more?

The Steelers are very lucky to have both. Mendenhall is proving to be one of the best backs in the NFL. Redman indeed is always impressive. Hats of to the Steeler Front Office for getting Redman. They were lucky no one claimed him last year when they cut him. I would expect that Redman will become more and more and more of the Steeler offense over the next two seasons. He does move the pile and he does seem to have great field vision. Right now, Mendenhall should be the feature back.

They make a strong tandem going forward and Moore makes a nice third down back:tt::tt::tt::tt:

feelers_stever
12-26-2010, 03:05 AM
Redman is a great "change of pace" back, and they really ought to throw him into the mix a few more times per game. It'll make him and Mendy both more effective. Same thing as when Parker and Mendenhall were used that way -- although it took an injury to basically beat Arians over the head with the fact that Parker sucked to make him give anyone other than Parker some playing time.

Anyway ... let the guy run some more. It would be good for us.

stiller39
12-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I think Redman should get MeMo's playing time and then some. Maybe he will as MeMo got injured last game. I would like to see Dwyer get a hat and see what he brings to the table.