PDA

View Full Version : Parker trying to get new deal

83-Steelers-43
04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Steelers | Agent meets with team on behalf of W. Parker
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:13:54 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, reports agent Elbert Avery met with Pittsburgh Steelers negotiator Omar Khan Tuesday afternoon, April 11, at their offices on the South Side, trying to get a new deal for exclusive-rights free agent RB Willie Parker (Steelers). If he does not come to terms on a long-term deal, Parker must play for his one-year tender offer. He would then become a restricted free agent in 2007.

MasterOfPuppets
04-12-2006, 06:38 PM
i hope its a heavy on incentives deal. just in case he was a flash in the pan.

Ambridge
04-12-2006, 06:39 PM
What's Willie making under his current contract??
I'm sure he would be making peanuts as a starting running back with his current salary.

tony hipchest
04-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Steelers | Agent meets with team on behalf of W. Parker
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:13:54 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, reports agent Elbert Avery met with Pittsburgh Steelers negotiator Omar Khan Tuesday afternoon, April 11, at their offices on the South Side, trying to get a new deal for exclusive-rights free agent RB Willie Parker (Steelers). If he does not come to terms on a long-term deal, Parker must play for his one-year tender offer. He would then become a restricted free agent in 2007.

i bet you this is what o. kahn is thinking:

"he really needs to prove it for one more year, but we dont want to see him jump out of our pricerange. even if we cut into his carries he could prove hes no fluke and we be outbid for him next year."

im pretty sure if the steelers could get willie to extend for $6 mil and 6 years they would jump on it in a heartbeat. willies not that stupid. i think the steelers should try to get him at $1.5-2 mil/ year for 5-6 years with alot of incentive clauses. (sb's, probowls, leading league in total yards, etc.)

clevestinks
04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
You are soooooo right!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2006, 11:34 PM
You cant break the bank on Willie just yet.. if he comes thru this year again, then throw him the big money and let him take us into the future. We all saw this coming, especially after winning the SB.

It will be interesting but I just dont see the FO throwing tons of cash at him just yet.. If willie is in it for the long run with us, he'll take a big deal thats incentive laiden atleast for the first couple years and run with it.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-12-2006, 11:51 PM
i agree 100%

Haiku_Dirtt
04-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Fast forward to April 30th...who has a crystal ball?

As a restricted free agent the 'ball' is not in his court - ask Ike. So if Fast Willie is looking for job security and financial stability for his family rather than risk it all for a boat load of cash then perhaps the writing is on the wall and his agent is being smart. Al Davis doesn't write checks for the Steelers so the 75-yard dash isn't going to translate into a Larry Brown contract.

Whether his future as a running back is grand or not it would be nice to see him get decent compensation now. When he was sitting on the bench in North Carolina a few years back I'm betting several million dollars in the bank was as real as Pamela Anderson's cup size.

Rotorhead
04-13-2006, 04:04 AM
I am thinking he is very appreciative of the entire organization for giving him the opportunity. I would think he would be more than happy to sign a decent deal with them. The thing I like about the Steelers is they tend to build loyalty with their players better than most other franchises. Just look at how many people restructure their contracts just to stay with the organization.

clevestinks
04-13-2006, 04:16 AM
You cant break the bank on Willie just yet.. if he comes thru this year again, then throw him the big money and let him take us into the future. We all saw this coming, especially after winning the SB.

It will be interesting but I just dont see the FO throwing tons of cash at him just yet.. If willie is in it for the long run with us, he'll take a big deal thats incentive laiden atleast for the first couple years and run with it.
brc IS RIGHT, BUT THE INCENTIVE BASED DEAL MIGHT WORK, although I m sure his agent doesnt want that. He deserves more that is a given

bengalsfan21
04-13-2006, 06:37 AM
Honestly I hope he gets signe and I don't care who it is by I have him in my keeper league and got him in the 15th round :busted:

Suitanim
04-13-2006, 09:53 AM
This more than anything shows the chess match that the front office has to contend with every year. Pay Willie peanuts and keep him hungry for next year? But what if he performs and wants a huge contract? Does 2 years of production make him worth the extra money? (Actually, I prefer this scenario...underpay him for '06 and have him play his guts out for a big contract next year)

Conversely, the Steelers could sign him long-term to a pretty reasonable deal based on just one seasons production and hope that he's not a flash in the pan. Pay some now and hope, or pay much more later for a proven commodity.

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2006, 09:58 AM
IMO. Pay him cheap for this year, see what he does and if he performs on a high level, give him the big contract after the season ends. Personally, I want to see what he looks like after having one big year before I see the Steelers blow money on the guy.

coachspeak33
04-13-2006, 01:18 PM
I really hope they sign Willie to a 4-5 year deal becuase we would get him cheaper over that period if we sign him now.

Three things can happen
1. Willie just keeps getting better and we have an unbelievable bargain over that time frame
2. He plateau's, plays at the same level during that span as he did in 05-06, and at worst we have depth at RB and whether he improves or not, his speed will allow Willie to always be a good change of pace back.... running outside the hashmarks... catching screens... and serving as a homerun threat everytime he touches it.
3. He gets worse.... NFL contracts protect the club if this occurs more than they protect the players.

Sign him.... How many RB's run for 1200 yds in their first season as starters????? I cant think of too many!!!!

Livinginthe past
04-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Its worth remembering that while 1200 yards is excellent rookie production and 4.7yds is very good also, alot of these stats were complied against very poor opposition.

If you break down his stats against teams with half decent run D, and those without, it tells a fairly significant tale.

Against the poor teams (Tenn, Houston, Cincy, Minnesota, Cleve, and Detroit) he ran for 820 yards at an average of 117yards per game and 6 yards per carry.

Against teams with decent run D (NE, SD, Jax, Balt, Denver etc...) he ran for 514 yards at just 64 yards per game and 3.1 yards per carry.

The fact is Willie made alot of his yardage against poor opposition and then put in a number of games with averages around 2.6ypc against good teams - this is why the Steelers have the upperhand in any negotiations this offseason.

I stick by my opinion, that he has alot of upside but also that his stats from last year flatter him a great deal.

NM

rgleason
04-13-2006, 02:27 PM
That's a fair argument - Willie's production did taper off vs. the stronger teams. However, although Willie's majority of yards may have come vs lesser teams, I still think he showed enough in some big games :
at Cincy - 18 car, 131 yds (and had a decent performance in the Cincy home loss)
at Minn. 14 car. for 81 (w/ 50 yd run)
Det. 26 for 135
- Minn. and Det. may not be the Steel Curtain, but those were huge games for us, especially the Det. game.

Although nto ready to declare Willie the second coming, I dont think there is any way Willie gets less than 1200 this year if healthy and gets same amount of carries. His upside is huge.

But I mean, for the what he gave us this year, winning a superbowl and everything, am I the only disturbed that this guy is maybe not a Millionaire? Do we got like a million bucks lyign around anywhere that we can just give him please.

Koopa
04-13-2006, 02:38 PM
so he had 81 yards vs minny but had a 50 yard run hmmmmmmmm........that's not very good then if he don't break that he don't get near 50 yards for the game........ and a lot of those yards against the bengals came when the game was already over....... he's not worth a pay day just yet, let him prove himself this year and if he has a good season tender him like you did ike and just make him stay

Livinginthe past
04-13-2006, 02:38 PM
That's a fair argument - Willie's production did taper off vs. the stronger teams. However, although Willie's majority of yards may have come vs lesser teams, I still think he showed enough in some big games :
at Cincy - 18 car, 131 yds (and had a decent performance in the Cincy home loss)
at Minn. 14 car. for 81 (w/ 50 yd run)
Det. 26 for 135
- Minn. and Det. may not be the Steel Curtain, but those were huge games for us, especially the Det. game.

Although nto ready to declare Willie the second coming, I dont think there is any way Willie gets less than 1200 this year if healthy and gets same amount of carries. His upside is huge.

But I mean, for the what he gave us this year, winning a superbowl and everything, am I the only disturbed that this guy is maybe not a Millionaire? Do we got like a million bucks lyign around anywhere that we can just give him please.

We definitely agree on the upside of Willie Parker.

And although he contributed to the team, I really think that the Pittsburgh success lies mainly with Ben Roethlisberger and his amazing playoff form and the return of the Blitzburgh defense - again mainly in the playoffs when it counted the most.

NM

tony hipchest
04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
His upside is huge.

its fair to say willie is the poorest guy in the steelers locker room. especially for a guy going into his 3rd year. he makes the absolute minimum which i believe is $230,000 a year and thats before taxes. the steelers gave j. harrison a new 4 year $5.5 mil contract which i think helps establish the price for another undrafted player like w. parker.

i dont think there is a steelerfan alive suggesting he make l.t. or r. bush type money, or even w. dunn/ t.barber money. fair market value for him (right now) is probably less than duce and more than v. haynes, probably 1.75-2 mil/yr.

tony hipchest
04-13-2006, 02:54 PM
We definitely agree on the upside of Willie Parker.

And although he contributed to the team, I really think that the Pittsburgh success lies mainly with Ben Roethlisberger and his amazing playoff form and the return of the Blitzburgh defense - again mainly in the playoffs when it counted the most.

NMi think a commitment to willie would be a round about way of showing commitment to bens passing capabilities. as opposed to drafting a rb in the 1st round which would show me the steelers were committed to 60-40 run/ pass ratio. a this ratio, though it has worked, needs to be leveled of a bit as ben continues to grow and develop.

Midnightwriter1
04-13-2006, 05:47 PM
concerning Willie, his success will be determined by our O Line. We have seen what happens to our RB and most in NFL when you line isnt giving you any holes at all to get your motor running. Ben will be Ben, I think a few games this year he will take over when we get down, but i dont see us changing our run patten a whole lot EXCEPT..... we may come out throwing in games since it worked so well, but Cowher is who he is and it is what it is, he loves that hard hitting smash mouth football and i cant see him changing that unless we end up being behind in alot of games. I know everyone thinks that we dont need another RB, but i think we will be taking one in first two rounds because Staley is GOING to be running alot. After much thought on this, Parker does go in spurts and there will be days like last year that Parker just couldnt go anywhere.. Thats when Staley will take over and some games Parker and Staley have even have even split caries (hence this is why we need another RB) Haynes is nice to have as 3rd down back and all but he is not answer. Plus no reason not to for the future of this team. So if our RB situation doesnt work out, then i will agree that ben could HAVE to throw alot more this year which i dont know if that will be a good thing. I kinda like Ben throwing when we want him to throw, not because he has to. We seem to be better as a team when that happens. Look for us to go OL or RB first pick pending on who is there.

pecantanman
04-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I agree also, if you give him the incentives deal. I think Willie will perform better. He is small like Zeroue, and hopefully can take more and stay healthy. I hope he breaks off some long runs like this past year!! However, I do think we need to go after a big back for future grooming. We all know Duce is injury prone, and may not remain healthy for us all year, as seen in the past 2 years.

Livinginthe past
04-13-2006, 06:47 PM
i think a commitment to willie would be a round about way of showing commitment to bens passing capabilities. as opposed to drafting a rb in the 1st round which would show me the steelers were committed to 60-40 run/ pass ratio. a this ratio, though it has worked, needs to be leveled of a bit as ben continues to grow and develop.

I dont think that the Steelers ned to move too far away from the 60/40 ratio as it is pretty succesful.

The big problem in the past has been a lack of options in the passing game, or an unwillingness by the coaches to let the QB throw the ball in key situations - now that Ben has developed so well I think that the Steelers coaches can rely on him to produce the goods when needed.

I dont think that the Steleers will go RB in the 1st round either - I think D-line may be the best option and probably the best value.

NM

tony hipchest
04-13-2006, 07:07 PM
I dont think that the Steelers ned to move too far away from the 60/40 ratio as it is pretty succesful.

The big problem in the past has been a lack of options in the passing game, or an unwillingness by the coaches to let the QB throw the ball in key situations - now that Ben has developed so well I think that the Steelers coaches can rely on him to produce the goods when needed.

I dont think that the Steleers will go RB in the 1st round either - I think D-line may be the best option and probably the best value.

NM agreed. by leveled off a bit im talking about loosening the reigns on ben and continuing to throw to set up the run. hes not yet "there" and is still a young developing qb with room for improvement and alot of upside. i like 57-43 or maybe even 55-45 run to throw ratio. usually though when ben is allowed to pass alot in the 1st quarter they build up sizeable leads and shut ben down, especially against the poorer teams. this will always impact his numbers. this can be seen in cowhers recore when leading by 10 pts. something like 100 wins, 1 loss and tie. a wr in the 1st round tells me that theyre trying to move in a 50-50 direction which is why i dont think we need a wr in the 1st. more passing to duce, willie and miller could easilly supplant randle els numbers, and depth at wr could be found later.

i like the idea of staying true and going with the d. i would love coming away with a d marcus ware, l tatupu, or s. merriman type player in next years draft, even if we have to sit on him for a year like with troy.

dbish33
04-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Willie is making just under $500,000 and I highly doubt the Steelers will give him anything more than an incentive laden contract, considering they just re-upped with Haynes and Duce is still here. If Duce is healthy, and Haynes continues to be as reliable as he has been, I dont foresee Willie being here after next year. They will draft a RB now probably in the second round and groom him for the role. Now if Willie has a huge year, the Steelers might try to resign him and give him his money but I foresee Duce playing a larger role this season, if healthy, (fingers crossed) especially catching balls out of the backfield.

Midnightwriter1
04-13-2006, 08:09 PM
i dont think so, i think they will try to sign Willie now. Of course not a huge contract but i think they like what he can do for us and that is despite what we do in draft as far as RB situation goes. Willie has a good chance to be a Staley type player ( hopefully minus the injuries ) They are going to bulk him up some, and even if we did draft a diff RB, Willie will still be used in our offense for that home run threat he brings and a speed guy to the outside. Is Staley who will be gone within 2 years not Parker.

We are paying about 3 million for our 3 running backs right now minus any performance bonuses they might incurr after the season. We will be smart and bump him up to 1.5 million a year at the most for 3 -4 years with some incentives and add a RB in draft and picking at 32 means we wont be paying out the ass for one in any round we took one in. Duce will be gone as soon as we get our next back in place but Willie isnt going anywhere. They love the kid.