PDA

View Full Version : 25 Millionares Without High School Diplomas

SteelerEmpire
12-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Very Interesting and inspirational stories...

LINK: http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/08/millionaire-high-school-dropouts-entrepreneurs-ask-an-expert-10-multimillionaire_slide_2.html

MACH1
12-26-2010, 01:45 AM
Those evil rich people.

ricardisimo
12-26-2010, 03:37 AM
What an unbelievably bizarre collection of names. I have long thought that the mind-numbing tedium of standardized testing and the drill-and-kill obsessiveness with only math and reading would regularly drive the brightest students right out of school.

This list does nothing to corroborate my theory. Hollywood hacks (Peter Jackson? Uma Thurman? Catherine Zeta-Jones? Simon Cowell????), corporate pop mediocrities (Jessica Simpson? Jay-Z? 50 Cent?), beauty queens (Gisele? Uma and Zeta-Jones probably fit here as well) and influence peddlers and financial market criminals like Kerkorian, Pinault and Lindner are not what I would consider inspiring stories. Instead they remind me of the line from Bernstein in Citizen Kane: "It's no trick to make a lot of money... if what you want to do is make a lot of money."

On the other hand, I think they hit on a few of these folks: Branson, de Niro, Carmona and the various techies and geeks. Not enough of them, though. The other problem with the list: a GED is, in fact, the equivalent of a high school diploma, which disqualifies about a third of the list. Weird.