PDA

View Full Version : the legend and misconceptions of Troy

rondisco
12-26-2010, 02:57 AM
I have known Polamalu since his early days of football, and somehow someway, the press got him all wrong. i remember his senior year in high school he could bench 400, clean 325, run a 40 in 4.4 and 360 windmill dunk a basketball. however, he went to such a small school, he really flew under the radar of college recruiters. i remember seeing all these "five-star" athletes gaining national attention, and Troy wasn't even in the discussion. he was recruited by usc only because of an inside phone call by his uncle, who basically vouched that his nephew was worthy of a scholarship. when he arrived at USC, it did not take long for him to start turning heads, but for some reason, the press started painting a Rudy-esque image of him, often saying that he was an over-achiever with "not a lot of speed, size, or strength." okay, i will give them the size thing, but i want to set the record straight: Troy always had freakish speed and strength. in fact, his combine numbers are phenomenal. he ran a 4.35 in the 40, his vert was 43" and he benched 29 reps on the 225 bench test (although he did 35 pre combine). that is nuts. go back through the draft and try to find any athlete who can run as fast, jump as high, and bench as much as Troy. there may be a few faster, perhaps a few who can match his hops, and some stronger, but you will not find any who have such high numbers on all three tests. Troy is truly a freak. unlike most combine freaks, he also has grit, intelligence, instincts, and game speed that may be unmatched.

harts
12-26-2010, 04:09 AM
He just needs to make it through a season without getting hurt
never looked like an overachiever to me
He has good instincts combined with his athletic ability especially his closing speed makes him a monster

Whodis
12-26-2010, 07:26 AM
The fact that the Steelers of all teams traded up for a sefety tells me Polamalu wasn't "under the radar" coming out of college. He's by far the best defensive player I've ever seen (not old enough to remember the 70's). He's better then Woodson.......

Anyone outside of Steeler fans marvel at the way he changes games and i hope we have more to come.

steeltheone
12-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Woodson was a better cover man.

Whodis
12-26-2010, 07:41 AM

And Bradshaw was a better passer

teams didn't come itno a game and say "watch what Woodson is doing", they stayed away, but he wasn't game changing.

SteelCityMom
12-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Woodson played a different position too, and had different assignments. Woodson was never put out there as a rover like Troy is.

MasterOfPuppets
12-26-2010, 10:22 AM
hmmmmm....maybe that explains why woodson was a cb and troy is a safety ,,,:scratchchin:

SoCalFan
12-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for posting that rondisco!Did you personally know him?Im from the L.A.area (USC country)and my city has more Samoans than the island so I have been following Troy since USC myself and I agree with you.Most Samoans in my area thought he did not get the deserved early attention for that reason,because hes Samoan,not your typical person at that position.Well,just think how all the naysayers and recruiters feel that passed him by!Its funny how threads like this always turn into whos better than who!Troy is a once in a lifetime unique player,he will go down in history as such,there will NEVER be another like him......

finesward
12-26-2010, 11:52 AM
hmmmmm....maybe that explains why woodson was a cb and troy is a safety ,,,:scratchchin:

Woodson played both during his career earning a pro bowl trip 7 times as a CB and 4 times as a safety. I think that is what he meant by better cover man. Woodson could play either equally well whereas I think troy is more a natural fit at safety and wouldn't cover as well as woodson. :noidea:

Balls of Steel
12-26-2010, 02:41 PM
So is it true he can walk on water?

Whodis
12-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Woodson played both during his career earning a pro bowl trip 7 times as a CB and 4 times as a safety. I think that is what he meant by better cover man. Woodson could play either equally well whereas I think troy is more a natural fit at safety and wouldn't cover as well as woodson. :noidea:

Woodson was moved to safety after he slowed up because of injuries.

Polamalu is a strong safety, the hitting and ability to disrupt the backfield is something Woodson didn't really do or was he assigned.

This is truly apples and oranges

rondisco
12-26-2010, 04:55 PM
yes, SoCalFan, i did grow up with Troy, and no Balls of Steel, i am not saying he can walk on water. i am just simply bringing attention to fact that he is truly a rare athlete. in fact, i would argue that pound-for-pound, he is the best athlete in the nfl because he is the ideal combination of strength, speed, agility, quickness and explosiveness. no one can match him.

wootawnee
12-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for posting that rondisco!Did you personally know him?Im from the L.A.area (USC country)and my city has more Samoans than the island so I have been following Troy since USC myself and I agree with you.Most Samoans in my area thought he did not get the deserved early attention for that reason,because hes Samoan,not your typical person at that position.Well,just think how all the naysayers and recruiters feel that passed him by!Its funny how threads like this always turn into whos better than who!Troy is a once in a lifetime unique player,he will go down in history as such,there will NEVER be another like him......

He went to school up in Oregon in the middle of the sticks......I would Imagine if he played around the Bay area or L.A. he would have been talked about and seen more........

steeltheone
12-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Woodson was moved to safety after he slowed up because of injuries.

Polamalu is a strong safety, the hitting and ability to disrupt the backfield is something Woodson didn't really do or was he assigned.

This is truly apples and oranges

In a sense yes it is. We just dont want to forget how good Woodson was. Troy is amazing. Some of his plays are crazy good!

austinfrench76
12-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Who, in the history of the NFL, has ever played the position Troy plays??? I can't come up with one without reaching. Troy's skill set is second to none. I don't care what anyone comes at me with, he is unbeliveable!

VegasStlrFan
12-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the post rondisco, love the stats. People really are watching a legend IMO. When you think that a db has impacted more games this year than any other person on his team and that team is 11-4, it's crazy. Even with the injury this year, he's the NFL defensive MVP. I don't know who else is even close

Third Rail
12-28-2010, 01:13 AM
yes, SoCalFan, i did grow up with Troy, and no Balls of Steel, i am not saying he can walk on water. i am just simply bringing attention to fact that he is truly a rare athlete. in fact, i would argue that pound-for-pound, he is the best athlete in the nfl because he is the ideal combination of strength, speed, agility, quickness and explosiveness. no one can match him.

No argument there. Troy is a beast. Sometimes I wish we'd stick him on the offense for a series and let him run the ball or catch checkdown passes. I know it would be risky, but the way he can dart around opponents is uncanny.

Of course that would require and offensive coordinator with some imagination. :mad: And if you're going to perform inception, you need imagination.

silver & black
12-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Who, in the history of the NFL, has ever played the position Troy plays??? I can't come up with one without reaching. Troy's skill set is second to none. I don't care what anyone comes at me with, he is unbeliveable!

Agreed. There is no one that plays the "position" that Troy plays on any of the other 31 teams. I can't think of anyone that ever did.

I'm definitely not a Steelers fan, but I enjoy watching Troy play... he's a one of a kind player.

I'm kind of partial to Woodson, too :wink02:. He was another great player, in his own right.

pittguy578
12-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Tyrone Carter is 100X better than Troy and Woodson combined

BigRick
12-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Then why isn't SD in the playoffs? :rofl:

silver & black
12-29-2010, 04:09 PM

:sofunny: :toofunny: :rofl:

MattsMe