PDA

View Full Version : Why I really like this team

finesward
12-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Forget that they are 11-4, forget they are going to the playoffs, forget they play lights out D and have all the pieces (minus a few key ones on the o-line) on offense to do it again.

I like this team because you can tell they all play for each other. There are no superstar egos here. I think they are the closest knit team in the NFL. I loved the prank they pulled on pouncey during the christmas carol Thursday night. I loved that they showed the weekly attack on casey hampton. If you didn't see that, I think it was post-show when they were interviewing wallace. He said it's a weekly tradition. They get 2 or 3 guys to hold him down and try to steal his shoe. It was hilarious. He looked like a turtle on it's back when they were holding him down.

Whodis
12-26-2010, 09:12 AM
I like the record, however we got away with a few.

Other then the opener vs Atlanta, what game stands out to you?

without a couple of these pieces on offense I'm affraid the carriage may turn back into a pumpkin

SoCalFan
12-26-2010, 11:02 AM
We got away with a few,but we also had a few CLEARLY taken away from us!As far as them attacking Hampton,funny yea,but I thought to myself,it looked like they were going to sprain his ankle!

finesward
12-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Tenn. Even though we played softy late and they threatened to come back...I still think that game sent a message. We completely demoralized that offense, especially chris johnson and vince young. That game really set the tone that the first game wasn't a fluke, that being without ben wasn't going to be an automatic death sentence to this team.

We took a rolling Oakland team that beat us last year and completely trounced em. Not even close... We played NO tough but sputtered on offense. They were the first team to match our intensity. Still holding them to 20 pts should of been enough, but again, the offense had a tough time punching it in the endzone. I think this problem will have to solved in order for us to do any damage in the end zone. But that's not a huge problem to overcome, it's just up to the players to execute.

Whodis
12-26-2010, 03:03 PM
offense had a tough time punching it in the endzone. I think this problem will have to solved in order for us to do any damage in the end zone. But that's not a huge problem to overcome, it's just up to the players to execute.

2010 season

Red Zone rank 26 Pittsburgh (11-4) 44.44%

Not a huge problem because over the last 3 games %33.33

I wish I could find the update to the wonderful stat of Red Zone visits. I believe after the Bengals game it was 2 tds in 30 visits to the Red Zone. The question is who do we need the player to execute?

steeltheone
12-26-2010, 08:48 PM
2010 season

Red Zone rank 26 Pittsburgh (11-4) 44.44%

Not a huge problem because over the last 3 games %33.33

I wish I could find the update to the wonderful stat of Red Zone visits. I believe after the Bengals game it was 2 tds in 30 visits to the Red Zone. The question is who do we need the player to execute?

We have to keep to many players into block! The recievers are still young and green the red zone makes that more evident.

uclkyle
12-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately, I have to disagree. I don't really like this team. Red zone offense is terrible, special teams have been aweful lately, untested kicker, no punter, running game is inconsistent, and the defense is vulnerale without Aaron Smith and Troy. Their helth is a big question mark. This is a GOOD team, but not a GREAT team, like the 2008 team. We also seriously lack a big play WR.

Merchant
12-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Unfortunately, I have to disagree. I don't really like this team. Red zone offense is terrible, special teams have been aweful lately, untested kicker, no punter, running game is inconsistent, and the defense is vulnerale without Aaron Smith and Troy. Their helth is a big question mark. This is a GOOD team, but not a GREAT team, like the 2008 team. We also seriously lack a big play WR.

Wallace isn't a big play WR?

What else don't you like? The #2 seed is not good enough orr?

Some of you guys cannot be pleased.

SteelCityMom
12-27-2010, 02:35 AM

You mean the 2008 where the ST's were worse (and ranked lower) and Sepulveda was on IR the whole year and they had Berger and *shudder* Ernster? Or the 2008 where the offense was actually ranked lower than now and Ben was throwing almost as many picks as TDs? Or when the running was even more inconsistent with Parker as the starter and Moore and Russell backing him up since Mendenhall was on IR for most of the season. The only thing that was better that year was the pass defense.

I think sometimes people just want to remember little highlight moments from that year, because this team was being bashed just as much (if not more so) for it's offensive woes and special teams needs that year. I don't know what you saw that was "great" other than the pass defense being better, but you may need to go re-watch some regular season games from that year. They squeaked by offensively A LOT that year. More than this year.

ricardisimo
12-27-2010, 03:44 AM
I'd critique your post even more, but I think you've had enough. People need to pause a moment before they click the "Submit Reply" button.

Whodis
12-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Agree......

I think we lack a "big" reciever? A fade route reciever for the red zone?

DanRooney
12-27-2010, 07:26 AM

-Suisham has already proven to me to be a reliable kicker. At least better than the paper towel pugilist.
-We didn't have a punter in '08. Bitch Berger bring back any memories?
-Our defense is better than any other defense in the NFL until we play the Patriots. Troy and Smith will be back if we get that far.
-Mike Wallace is probably the biggest play receiver the Steelers ever had. This is including Swann, Stallworth, etc. He's an upgrade over Holmes. I'm more nervous about Sanders stepping into the #2 role. He still seems like a speedy slot #3 to me.

SouthTexasSteel
12-27-2010, 07:42 AM
I really like this team for all the same reasons that I loved my last college spring break. The SB window is closing rapidly and I'm gonna enjoy this run before the "remodeling" sign goes up on the door. While the "average" age of this team is fairly young in comparison with many other teams, the heart and soul of this team is the defense, and those key players are realistically nearing the end of their peak. Their heart and enthusiasm will always be that of a 5 year vet, but the body will not be keeping up.

SOOOO, with that being said... I believe we are seeing a defense that knows that this could be their last run and they are very capable of stringing together 3 wins in a row to bring home number 7. I just look at the first 4 games of the season to know that a run like this is VERY possible. Even with the Cheatriots having this incredible run, they are not the team that won those previous superbowls. Brady is single handedly carrying that team and I am hoping that that streak continues until the playoffs. Because at some point that streak of consecutive wins and games without an INT starts becoming more of a hinderance than a boost. There is NOBODY in the NFC that scares me and the Cheatriots are due for an ass kickin.

Prognosis for a SB win??!! I believe it's as good as it was 2 years ago!!!!

grward
12-27-2010, 07:59 AM
I really like this team for all the same reasons that I loved my last college spring break. The SB window is closing rapidly and I'm gonna enjoy this run before the "remodeling" sign goes up on the door. While the "average" age of this team is fairly young in comparison with many other teams, the heart and soul of this team is the defense, and those key players are realistically nearing the end of their peak. Their heart and enthusiasm will always be that of a 5 year vet, but the body will not be keeping up.

SOOOO, with that being said... I believe we are seeing a defense that knows that this could be their last run and they are very capable of stringing together 3 wins in a row to bring home number 7. I just look at the first 4 games of the season to know that a run like this is VERY possible. Even with the Cheatriots having this incredible run, they are not the team that won those previous superbowls. Brady is single handedly carrying that team and I am hoping that that streak continues until the playoffs. Because at some point that streak of consecutive wins and games without an INT starts becoming more of a hinderance than a boost. There is NOBODY in the NFC that scares me and the Cheatriots are due for an ass kickin.

Prognosis for a SB win??!! I believe it's as good as it was 2 years ago!!!!

+1. The way I see it ... we are on the verge of a great playoff run, just like in 2005. We have all the right talent and they are so close to bringing it all together. What better time to peak than in the playoffs and during the Super Bowl!

We have a lot of flaws, but right now I'm going to focus on the positives and ride this exciting roller coaster for as long as I can! GET EXCITED PEOPLE!!

steeltheone
12-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Our defense has held runners to 64.1 yards per game. We no longer need Smith. he would be great for depth...

LVSteelersfan
12-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Our defense has held runners to 64.1 yards per game. We no longer need Smith. he would be great for depth...

Do you really watch this team closely? Smith crunches the pocket back into the QBs face and throws the passing plays completely off kilter as well as stuffing the run. Hood has shown a couple flashes of brilliance but he is nowhere near the caliber of Smith.

finesward
12-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Agree, smith was an unheralded part of the pass rush. I think him and keisel had the majority of the pass hurries for this team. You notice that harrison and woodley have been kept mostly quiet during his absence? Smith was a force that sometimes needed an extra blocker. He completely disrupted the offense consistently. He will be a huge + going into the playoffs. Hood now provides excellent depth, not smith.

Rockonsteel
12-27-2010, 12:35 PM
You mean the 2008 where the ST's were worse (and ranked lower) and Sepulveda was on IR the whole year and they had Berger and *shudder* Ernster? Or the 2008 where the offense was actually ranked lower than now and Ben was throwing almost as many picks as TDs? Or when the running was even more inconsistent with Parker as the starter and Moore and Russell backing him up since Mendenhall was on IR for most of the season. The only thing that was better that year was the pass defense.

I think sometimes people just want to remember little highlight moments from that year, because this team was being bashed just as much (if not more so) for it's offensive woes and special teams needs that year. I don't know what you saw that was "great" other than the pass defense being better, but you may need to go re-watch some regular season games from that year. They squeaked by offensively A LOT that year. More than this year.

Yeah, funny how revisionist history makes people forget all of that. They were bailed out by the defense that whole year. That's why it cracks me up when people defend Arians with, "but they won a Super Bowl with him as OC". NO, they didn't!! They won a Super Bowl IN SPITE of him. It's why I wanted Arians gone immediately after the SB. It's why he can't go soon enough for my liking.

Rockon

Rick5895
12-27-2010, 01:31 PM

You have got to be kidding!!! Just as important to the run game Smith is to the pass game aswell. He allows our pass rushers to get free because he consistantly demands a double team. If you bother to pay attention to things other than stats you will see that.
Hood has improved a great deal but still is at least another year away from being dominant like Aaron. or Keisel for that matter

thumper
12-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Yea, because everyone knows Wallace isn't the definition of a big play
WR. You must be a troll.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately, I have to disagree. I don't really like this team. Red zone offense is terrible, special teams have been aweful lately, untested kicker, no punter, running game is inconsistent, and the defense is vulnerale without Aaron Smith and Troy. Their helth is a big question mark. This is a GOOD team, but not a GREAT team, like the 2008 team. We also seriously lack a big play WR..

You sound alarmist, but make some valid points.

Our red zone offense has been terrible. What bothers me most is that we lost to just about every playoff team we played this season with the exception of the Ravens and maybe Titans. We did okay defensively against the Saints, if our offense had scored earlier on, it would have changed the whole tempo of the game and our defense might have held them to less than 20 points. The game changes when your defense is coupled to an ineffective offense.

The Saints beat us soundly, the Pats dstroyed us, the Jets do what they usually do against teams (defense & special teams opportunities). Not good.

But keep in mind, we DO have a big play receiver, the 2nd biggest one in the league (Wallace). We will be getting a Polamalu at near 100% back in the lineup. A better rested team (best would be to not have to start 1st stringers against Cleveland, but....I say pull em as soon as we have the game out of reach). A healthy and hungry Aaron Smith.

Our offense is starting to show signs of life. Much the way the much maligned Pats defense grew into its own shoes, I think our offense is starting to. They need a couple games against some punching bag teams (Carolina, Browns) and I think Sanders and Brown are starting to become somebody opposing defenses need to gameplan for.

Everyone is forgetting that we went without Ben for the first month, and with all the injuries on the offensive line, our offense is only just now starting to get their midseason feet under them and our Oline is as close to starting to "gel" as this unit can with the talent present. Our offneseis gonna continue to get better, I am sure of that.

I give us a good chance of getting #7 this year if we don't have to play the Pats. If we have to play them, our only chance is to disrupt Brady's game with some bump coverage, a strong pass rush (which our boy Aaron might have some say in), and more aggressive offensive playcalling. But for some reason, it took us until the 4th quarter to do ay of that last time, so I don't feel too confident in a Pats rematch.

But this team does have "it" this year I think. But like most years, it just wouldn't be pretty.

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

thebus36idf
12-27-2010, 02:30 PM

I wrote a post in 2008 I just checked it on my history. It seems as though we were having huge offensive struggles then, and it was mostly our o-line. Ben was bad, and we couldn't pound it in without the bus. Sounds like we are in another superbowl de ja vu.:tt04:

btaylor179
12-27-2010, 04:17 PM
im a huge huge fan but also a realist......there was a FEW games we won and probably shouldn't have....im happy we did but our offense doesn't scare anyone and yes special teams is starting to look loke last years...and when we get in the red zone i have no faith....please steelers prove me wrong!

btaylor179
12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
do our cb's ever bump wr's at the line? always 10 15 yrds off reciever

ricardisimo
12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
do our cb's ever bump wr's at the line? always 10 15 yrds off reciever
No, in fact if our CBs are up on the line at all, it's to blitz. I'm amazed opposing QBs haven't really figured that out yet.

StainlessStill
12-27-2010, 09:28 PM
It's why I wanted Arians gone immediately after the SB.

Rockon

Super Bowl? I wanted Arians ousted when he ran Roethlisberger on a quarterback bootleg in the 2007 Wild Card against the Jags on 3rd and 6 to protect a late lead. Arians will go down as one of THEE worst situational play callers of all time. Lucky for him, he has one of, if not, the BEST situational, clutch QB's in the present era to balance and bail him out.

stiller39
12-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Huh? Are you watchin the same team I am? We are talking about the Steelers....
Talk about the glass being half empty... WOW!!!!

Steeler-Stamina
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
This team is built for a championship.:tt04::tt04::tt04:

Cinnjerm
12-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I like the record, however we got away with a few.

Other then the opener vs Atlanta, what game stands out to you?

without a couple of these pieces on offense I'm affraid the carriage may turn back into a pumpkin

So, is this a serious question? Like, you really forgot about that epic Ravens game in Balt already? Anyway, if you remember in 2008 the Steelers had the number one defense and 21st rated offense. Flash forward to now they have the second rated defense (by the numbers anyway, but still arguably the best) and the 15th rated offense. They're likely to finish as with the same record, so how is the 08 team vastly superior to this team?

PhantomJB93
12-28-2010, 02:37 PM
People seem to forget the offense was WAY worse in 2008, Parker was crap, the Oline was crap, Ben was okay but nowhere near as good as he is now, hell Santonio didnt even have his first 1000 yard season until 2009, sure he turned it on in the playoffs and made some big plays against the Ravens but I think Mike Wallace has had a larger impact in the regular season than Santonio did that year and we havent even gotten a chance yet to see what Wallace can do in the playoffs when the gloves are off.

The defense might not be as good but when its healthy its not much worse, if at all, but the offense to me even when hindered by Arians's stupidity is miles ahead of where it was 2 years ago. People need to stop panicking.

Hell, Ill do a player by player comparison IMO, sure individual performances dont tell everything but I think it should give an idea of how overblown some of this team's criticisms are right now, I think we tend to forget that at this point two years ago we had probably even more concerns about the 08 team and that turned out pretty well.

10 Ben > 08 Ben
Mendenhall >>> Parker
10 Hines < 08 Hines
Wallace = Santonio
10 Heath = 08 Heath
10 Oline < 08 Oline but not by much

10 Troy = 08 Troy
10 Harrison = 08 Harrison
10 Woodley = 08 Woodley
Timmons > Foote
10 Farrior < 08 Farrior
10 Ike = 08 Ike
10 Bmac < 08 Bmac
10 Smih = 08 Smith
10 Keisel > 08 Keisel
Hood > Eason or whoever was backing up the DEs
10 Hampton = 08 Hampton

IMO the only things that have gotten worse are Farrior, Bmac, Hines, and the Oline, but to me the improved play of Ben, Mendy, Wallace, and Timmons more than make up for it...

finesward
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
People seem to forget the offense was WAY worse in 2008, Parker was crap, the Oline was crap, Ben was okay but nowhere near as good as he is now, hell Santonio didnt even have his first 1000 yard season until 2009, sure he turned it on in the playoffs and made some big plays against the Ravens but I think Mike Wallace has had a larger impact in the regular season than Santonio did that year and we havent even gotten a chance yet to see what Wallace can do in the playoffs when the gloves are off.

The defense might not be as good but when its healthy its not much worse, if at all, but the offense to me even when hindered by Arians's stupidity is miles ahead of where it was 2 years ago. People need to stop panicking.

Hell, Ill do a player by player comparison IMO, sure individual performances dont tell everything but I think it should give an idea of how overblown some of this team's criticisms are right now, I think we tend to forget that at this point two years ago we had probably even more concerns about the 08 team and that turned out pretty well.

10 Ben > 08 Ben
Mendenhall >>> Parker
10 Hines < 08 Hines
Wallace = Santonio
10 Heath = 08 Heath
10 Oline < 08 Oline but not by much

10 Troy = 08 Troy
10 Harrison = 08 Harrison
10 Woodley = 08 Woodley
Timmons > Foote
10 Farrior < 08 Farrior
10 Ike = 08 Ike
10 Bmac < 08 Bmac
10 Smih = 08 Smith
10 Keisel > 08 Keisel
Hood > Eason or whoever was backing up the DEs
10 Hampton = 08 Hampton

IMO the only things that have gotten worse are Farrior, Bmac, Hines, and the Oline, but to me the improved play of Ben, Mendy, Wallace, and Timmons more than make up for it...

agree except with farrior, this guy has stepped up his game this year. don't know how he's done it but he's the heart and soul of this D right now.

that hit he laid on shonn greene was wicked

Third Rail
01-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Heh, yeah... after Farrior blew that coverage on Ray Rice against the Ratbirds last season (which ultimately resulted in them winning the game) I was calling for us to cut him. But he's been lights out this season and now I'd be willing to watch him play until he's 80. He's awesome.

Also, I would say that our O-Line now is actually better than in 08. They were sh** that season, as far as I'm concerned and well, they might not be much better now but Pouncey is a major upgrade over Hartwig.

steeltheone
01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
agree except with farrior, this guy has stepped up his game this year. don't know how he's done it but he's the heart and soul of this D right now.

that hit he laid on shonn greene was wicked

08 Holmes is better than Wallace now....Not much longer
Woodley is better than 08
Smith and Farrior were better at 34 than 36 ...you don't get better after 35 just human nature.

lionslicer
01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm sure everyone forgot my optimistic thread about being 10-4 and everyone acting like the team was 4-10 and the world was ending. lol

The team is good, They arein the superbowl, be happy. Two historic franchises playing each other for championship, it will be a great game.

El Nino
01-25-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm sure everyone forgot my optimistic thread about being 10-4 and everyone acting like the team was 4-10 and the world was ending. lol

The team is good, They arein the superbowl, be happy. Two historic franchises playing each other for championship, it will be a great game.

well after going 6-2 and missing the playoffs last year, I could understand why people were getting nervous after playing a few bad games.

finesward
01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
08 Holmes is better than Wallace now....Not much longer
Woodley is better than 08
Smith and Farrior were better at 34 than 36 ...you don't get better after 35 just human nature.

better? yes I think you can get better after 35...his stats don't show any drop off in performance. He's actually gotten after the QB better than the past 2 years. And that's with Harrison and Woodley plus the emergence of Timmons. Physically yes, I don't think you get stronger or faster, but your football IQ keeps getting better.

Want an example outside of football? Take a look at Kelly Slater. This guy is 38 and still winning world titles against guys half his age. I know surfing is wayyy outside the mindset of most steeler fans but if in terms of pure athlete, Kelly Slater is by far the best ever. He just won his 10th title this past year at age 38 and has 4 total titles in his 30's. Don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but there is a lot more to being "better" than being the youngest, fastest, strongest, highest drafted person on the field.

Disagree with 10 woodley being better than 08 woodley. He had more everything stat-wise. A lot of his sacks this year have been dong sacks where the guy slips or the olineman shits the bed and forgets to block. He is maybe as good but definately not better. Teams are game planning against him better now than when he was still a fresh face in 08

lionslicer
01-25-2011, 05:46 PM
well after going 6-2 and missing the playoffs last year, I could understand why people were getting nervous after playing a few bad games.

I can understand the logic there, after the Patriots loss I was a little down about the team, but its really annoying how I'll say something and then get attacked or get called wrong or something and then months later I was right. :doh:
I think people should be more optimistic. Atleast we aren't Lions fans.

SeinfeldNut
01-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I can understand the logic there, after the Patriots loss I was a little down about the team, but its really annoying how I'll say something and then get attacked or get called wrong or something and then months later I was right. :doh:
I think people should be more optimistic. Atleast we aren't Lions fans.

Exactly and all we have to do is look inside our own division and see how badly the Bengals and Browns are run and have no chance of competing for a Super Bowl.

steeltheone
01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
better? yes I think you can get better after 35...his stats don't show any drop off in performance. He's actually gotten after the QB better than the past 2 years. And that's with Harrison and Woodley plus the emergence of Timmons. Physically yes, I don't think you get stronger or faster, but your football IQ keeps getting better.

Want an example outside of football? Take a look at Kelly Slater. This guy is 38 and still winning world titles against guys half his age. I know surfing is wayyy outside the mindset of most steeler fans but if in terms of pure athlete, Kelly Slater is by far the best ever. He just won his 10th title this past year at age 38 and has 4 total titles in his 30's. Don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but there is a lot more to being "better" than being the youngest, fastest, strongest, highest drafted person on the field.

Disagree with 10 woodley being better than 08 woodley. He had more everything stat-wise. A lot of his sacks this year have been dong sacks where the guy slips or the olineman shits the bed and forgets to block. He is maybe as good but definately not better. Teams are game planning against him better now than when he was still a fresh face in 08

If woodley is not better in his 4th year than in his second something is very wrong. And you don't resign him. He is better.

Contact sport is the difference between a 36 year old Surfer and Football player. Farrior and Smith play positions which they get hit every play. After 13 years no matter how smart you are, you are not better. Thats why QB's can play longer. They don't get hit every play.

JackHammer
01-25-2011, 09:36 PM
If woodley is not better in his 4th year than in his second something is very wrong. And you don't resign him. He is better.

Contact sport is the difference between a 36 year old Surfer and Football player. Farrior and Smith play positions which they get hit every play. After 13 years no matter how smart you are, you are not better. Thats why QB's can play longer. They don't get hit every play.

Yeah, it's why RB's don't last much into their 30's. Getting tackled and picking up blitzers almost every time you're in the game takes it's toll, especially since you're going up against bigger guys most of the time.

finesward
01-26-2011, 02:38 PM

Have we resigned lamar? No. Is he better? Stats say no.

Fact is his second year he wasn't as well known and teams weren't game planning against him as much. He's getting a lot of one on one matchups now and not winning enough of them. I love the guy but he is a bit of a one trick pony, he's slow for a OLB and is not worth a ton of money IMO. The man opposite of him is a beast and that's why he got paid and lamar hasn't. He consistently gets 2 blockers, sometimes 3, and still wastes guys. Look at the sack he had against flacco. He blew by a OL and a RB and a FB to get the sack. Lamar gets one on one's consistently and titty jousts with them. He is great against the run though, there is no denying that. But do you sign him to big money b/c he can stop the run? I dunno...

Try dropping in on 10-12 ft. pipeline and tell me surfing isn't a contact sport. You may not be hitting guys, but your getting smashed on dangerous reef a LOT. People die surfing pipe. Injuries are very common in surfing, shoulders, mcl's, broken bones, concussions...very similar injuries to what football players sustain. You can't discredit that slater has gotten better in his 30's because if you ask any of his peers they will tell you he has.

How is Farrior still on the field if he's not at least as good as he was a few years ago? He has been playing better football, end of story. More sacks, more big hits, and his coverage skills, while never great, have rebounded from his previous 2 seasons. Your trying to be black and white when it isn't. He's at least proven that your performance doesn't drop off magically when you hit a certain age. He's played much better this year than last year. Go ahead and try and tell me he hasn't :coffee:

steeltheone
01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Have we resigned lamar? No. Is he better? Stats say no.

Fact is his second year he wasn't as well known and teams weren't game planning against him as much. He's getting a lot of one on one matchups now and not winning enough of them. I love the guy but he is a bit of a one trick pony, he's slow for a OLB and is not worth a ton of money IMO. The man opposite of him is a beast and that's why he got paid and lamar hasn't. He consistently gets 2 blockers, sometimes 3, and still wastes guys. Look at the sack he had against flacco. He blew by a OL and a RB and a FB to get the sack. Lamar gets one on one's consistently and titty jousts with them. He is great against the run though, there is no denying that. But do you sign him to big money b/c he can stop the run? I dunno...

Try dropping in on 10-12 ft. pipeline and tell me surfing isn't a contact sport. You may not be hitting guys, but your getting smashed on dangerous reef a LOT. People die surfing pipe. Injuries are very common in surfing, shoulders, mcl's, broken bones, concussions...very similar injuries to what football players sustain. You can't discredit that slater has gotten better in his 30's because if you ask any of his peers they will tell you he has.

How is Farrior still on the field if he's not at least as good as he was a few years ago? He has been playing better football, end of story. More sacks, more big hits, and his coverage skills, while never great, have rebounded from his previous 2 seasons. Your trying to be black and white when it isn't. He's at least proven that your performance doesn't drop off magically when you hit a certain age. He's played much better this year than last year. Go ahead and try and tell me he hasn't :coffee:
Woodley gets more attention now because of his play in prior years. Farrior is the weakest of the 4. Like Foote before him he does not have to be great. Just a good run stopper.

finesward
01-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Woodley gets more attention now because of his play in prior years. Farrior is the weakest of the 4. Like Foote before him he does not have to be great. Just a good run stopper.

Woodley gets plenty of one on one opportunities this year, just like he did his 2nd year. Difference is O Lineman have tape on him now and know what to expect. He doesn't get extra attention like Harrison does, if that was the case we could send a guy free every play. If I had to rank the LB'ers based on what they've done this year my list is 1.Harrison 2. Timmons 3. Farrior 4. Woodley Only reason Farrior gets the nod over woodley is the leadership and energy he brings to the team. IMO they are all very good, hard to say one is better than the other seeing as they work as a team and all. Lets just say all 4 do their jobs very well...Farrior included.

If you think all Farrior does is stop the run you are being silly. He doesn't run blitz every down, he's in coverage too, he's sacking the QB, and he's making more tackles than everyone not named lawrence timmons. He's also calling the plays, making sure everyone is where they need to be, and is leading the #1 defense playing right now in the NFL. Saying he only needs to be a good run stopper is a misconception by many. And I'm not going to try and change your mind. Believe what you want, your boring me....

SteelSurf
01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Two years ago they won Super Bowl XLIII. Three years before that they roared to victory in Super Bowl XL. By all rights the Steelers are the closest thing there is to an NFL dynasty,Yet the doubters persisted, even after the Steelers opened the season 3-1 without their franchise quarterback,The Steelers have what the other teams want. To be in position to win a third Super Bowl in six years in this era of free agency and constantly changing rosters is nothing short of miraculous.

steeltheone
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Woodley gets plenty of one on one opportunities this year, just like he did his 2nd year. Difference is O Lineman have tape on him now and know what to expect. He doesn't get extra attention like Harrison does, if that was the case we could send a guy free every play. If I had to rank the LB'ers based on what they've done this year my list is 1.Harrison 2. Timmons 3. Farrior 4. Woodley Only reason Farrior gets the nod over woodley is the leadership and energy he brings to the team. IMO they are all very good, hard to say one is better than the other seeing as they work as a team and all. Lets just say all 4 do their jobs very well...Farrior included.

If you think all Farrior does is stop the run you are being silly. He doesn't run blitz every down, he's in coverage too, he's sacking the QB, and he's making more tackles than everyone not named lawrence timmons. He's also calling the plays, making sure everyone is where they need to be, and is leading the #1 defense playing right now in the NFL. Saying he only needs to be a good run stopper is a misconception by many. And I'm not going to try and change your mind. Believe what you want, your boring me....
Farrior is very average in coverage just part of getting older....Nobody not named Farrior would have led the Steelers in tackles 2 years ago...again older...you don't need much leadership on a veteran defense as this is. They have all been there. They all know whats going on. Woodley is a better pass rusher than you give him credit for.

finesward
01-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Farrior is very average in coverage just part of getting older....Nobody not named Farrior would have led the Steelers in tackles 2 years ago...again older...you don't need much leadership on a veteran defense as this is. They have all been there. They all know whats going on. Woodley is a better pass rusher than you give him credit for.

:flex::yap::deadhorse:

If he is average in coverage that means he does more than just "stop the run" doesn't it? And this year he has been better in coverage, even if it is just "average", than last year. But wait...how can that possibly be? He is older!

I have a hard time deciphering double negatives...you mind saying that again in english please? :noidea:

Don't care how much vet's you have on a team you need a leader. He's the general of that defense. This might be one of the more stupid things you've posted.

How many pass rush moves does woodley have? Compare him to Harrison. Is he worth paying the kind of contract Harrison got? No. I would say he is an "average" pass rusher. No other OLB in the league has the benefit of James Harrison lining up opposite of him. Put Woodley on an average team and he would be a very very average pass rusher. He is a great run stopper, for that I give him credit. His pass rush is very average, but unlike farrior he is young, so what's his excuse?

steeltheone
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
I never said Woodley should be paid big bucks. I would not break the bank for him! But he is better in year 4 than he was in year 2. Thats my original point.

Farrior is no better than 2 years ago. The LB's around him are much better Mainly Timmons compared to Foote. His tackles and assists are almost 30 less. That is far and away not better. His coverage skills are a liability.

finesward
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I never said Woodley should be paid big bucks. I would not break the bank for him! But he is better in year 4 than he was in year 2. Thats my original point.

Farrior is no better than 2 years ago. The LB's around him are much better Mainly Timmons compared to Foote. His tackles and assists are almost 30 less. That is far and away not better. His coverage skills are a liability.

You say he is better but use nothing to back up your claim. So sorry if I don't agree with your original point that he is better when the majority of his numbers are down. Just saying he is better does not make it so. Why am I arguing with you when you bring nothing to the table? :doh:

As fpr Farrior you say he has 30 less (its actually 22) tackles and then go ahead and give the reason why his numbers are down. The emergence of Timmons has taken away from his total tackles, but his sacks are almost double.

On the flip side, Farrior leads the league among ILB in Most QB disruptions. Not bad for a guy who is playing worse than he did the previous 2 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvBBH4.Fte409lbg3dn1VGRDubYF?slug=ys-intangibles012711

Most quarterback disruptions, inside linebackers

1. James Farrior(notes), Pittsburgh Steelers (16)
We know that outside linebackers, especially in 3-4 defenses, will get a lot of quarterback pressures. But inside linebackers find it a tougher go, because they play the run so often and can be more easily blocked out from pursuit. Farrior’s longevity is especially impressive.