PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Tomlin deserves Coach of Year votes

mesaSteeler
12-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Bires: Tomlin deserves Coach of Year votes
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/december/25/bires-tomlin-deserves-coach-of-year-votes.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Saturday December 25, 2010 10:47 PM

PITTSBURGH — In all likelihood, Mike Tomlin will not be NFL Coach of the Year.

There are several other worthy candidates out there, and considering the perceived bias that The Associated Press voting panel has had against Steelers coaches over the years, it’s hard to imagine Tomlin winning the vote this year.

Chicago’s Lovie Smith already has a public endorsement for the award from Bears’ linebacker Brian Urlacher. After going 7-9 last year, the Monsters of the Midway are 10-4 right now and have clinched the NFC North Division.

Kansas City’s Todd Haley will receive his share of votes. The Chiefs were 4-12 and finished last in the AFC West last year. If they win their last two games — at home against Tennessee and Oakland — they’ll be the latest NFL team to go from worst to first in a division.

If Atlanta (12-2) beats New Orleans (10-4) on Monday night and clinches the NFC South title and the NFC’s No. 1 seed, Falcons coach Mike Smith will be a Coach of the Year candidate.

Also in the NFC South, there’s Tampa Bay’s Raheem Morris, who’s improved the Buccaneers from 3-13 last year to 8-6 this year.

And don’t forget about the super genius from New England, Bill Belichick. He’s done an amazing job with the Patriots (12-2), who can clinch the AFC’s No. 1 seed today.

But with due respect to those Coach of the Year candidates, Tomlin is just as worthy as any.

Consider all that he’s had to deal with this year:

- Ben Roethlisberger’s suspension for violating the NFL personal conduct code.

- The trade of star wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

- The loss of right tackle Willie Colon to a freakish off-season Achilles’ tendon injury.

- The loss of left tackle Max Starks, who was put on injured reserved on Nov. 10 with a neck injury.
Advertisement

- The loss of left defensive end Aaron Smith, who hasn’t played since Oct. 24 because of a torn triceps.

- The decision to release veteran kicker Jeff Reed.

- The league-wide controversy regarding flagrant hits on quarterbacks and defenseless pass receivers that seemed to have centered on Steelers linebacker James Harrison.

Throughout the year, Tomlin has never wavered in the face of adversity. He handled the potentially volatile Roethlisberger situation as well as could be expected. He’s handled the controversy surrounding Harrison extremely well, sometimes taking subtle but unfineable shots at the NFL while always maintaining support for his player.

Tomlin has remained strong and optimistic every step of the way.

That’s how he’s been ever since his hiring nearly four years ago as the replacement for Bill Cowher. He’s been a terrific addition to the franchise that has had just three coaches since 1969.

Since 1957 when The Associated Press first gave out its Coach of the Year Award, only one Steelers coach has won it. That was Cowher for his first year on the job in 1992.

Chuck Noll won four Super Bowls. He’s in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But not once was he named Coach of the Year.

So even if the Steelers (11-4) win the AFC North for the third time during the Tomlin era and finish 12-4 for the second time in three years, that might not be enough for the 50-member AP voting panel to select Tomlin as Coach of the Year.

But those in the know — his players, his assistants, team management and even coaches throughout the league — realize how important Tomlin is to the Steelers.

He is clearly one of the NFL’s best coaches regardless of how the vote turns out.

fer522
12-26-2010, 03:05 PM
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Whodis
12-26-2010, 03:07 PM
He is clearly one of the NFL’s best coaches regardless of how the vote turns out.

One of the best, but not Coach of the year..

I still can't get over going to New Orleans and being unprepaired for crowd noise. Other then the great defense this team is at or below average

SteelKnight
12-26-2010, 05:12 PM
No coach of the year unless he can win the Super Bowl.

They lost to almost every good team Patriots, Jets, Baltimore and NO (3 at home). The only good teams they beat were Atlanta in overtime and a fluky Ravens win. In the Baltimore win, they didn't look good.

ricksteelers55
12-26-2010, 08:37 PM
my vote goes to Morris of Tampa Bay,even though they didnt beat a team over .500 just take a look at his team and it's incredible what he's done this year.

-A QB who's almost a rookie

-an undrafted starting RB who will get 1000 yds even though he didnt play until week 3

-a very average set of receivers with the leader being a 4th round pick(and has apparently more drops per att than Limas Sweed)

-they lost one of their top 3 defensive player Tanard Jackson for the year because of suspension

I think that team have a very bright future

austinfrench76
12-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm not particularly fond of Tomlin but he definitely deserves to be in the conversation. All that the Steelers have overcome this season. The problem, and maybe it's just me but, the Steelers aren't getting any love, period. Not alot of talk about us even having a chance. Not that I mind, in fact I prefer it. But, that will lead to Troy being over looked for DPOY and Tomlin not even getting in the Coach of the Year conversation. Just my opinion.

Also, comletely off topic but, the NFL network broadcast team is a joke. From Eisen, Faulk, Mariuchi and Deion to Millen (Actually I like him) and Theisman. Just throwing that in...

steeltheone
12-26-2010, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=ricksteelers55;885127]my vote goes to Morris of Tampa Bay,even though they didnt beat a team over .500 just take a look at his team and it's incredible what he's done this year.

-an undrafted starting RB who will get 1000 yds even though he didnt play until week 3

-a very average set of receivers with the leader being a 4th round pick(and has apparently more drops per att than Limas Sweed)

-they lost one of their top 3 defensive player Tanard Jackson for the year because of suspension

I think that team have a very bright future[/QUO

They played a soft schedule and were buried by the few good teams they played....Playing last place schedule helps alot.

Tomlin deserves lots of credit....This team is not 12 wins good..

Todd Haley gets it in my mind..

lionslicer
12-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not particularly fond of Tomlin but he definitely deserves to be in the conversation. All that the Steelers have overcome this season. The problem, and maybe it's just me but, the Steelers aren't getting any love, period. Not alot of talk about us even having a chance. Not that I mind, in fact I prefer it. But, that will lead to Troy being over looked for DPOY and Tomlin not even getting in the Coach of the Year conversation. Just my opinion.

Also, comletely off topic but, the NFL network broadcast team is a joke. From Eisen, Faulk, Mariuchi and Deion to Millen (Actually I like him) and Theisman. Just throwing that in...

Even Woodson? I missed the old NFL network crew, when it was Eisen, Woodson, Lincoln Kennedy and Terrel Davis... That was like 6 or 7 years ago now lol...

Tomlin deserves some credit, but the team was unprepared in a couple games, and that falls dirrectly on the coaches shoulders. I actually think this team is having trouble with its assistant coaches more than Tomlin though. He has too much respect for LeBeau to really do anything with the defense, it was Farrior who was brave enough to say something a couple weeks ago about LeBeaus play calling... And Ben is butt buddy's with Arians, so it wouldn't be the smartest thing to try to change the offense and risk pissing off your 100 million dollar quarterback.
With that said, I think he's done just enough for the team to get to where it is, but not worthy of the award.

SteelKnight
12-26-2010, 09:32 PM
The Rams coach Spagnuolo gets my vote. He took the worse team and made them a playoff team. Even though their record sucks. They had 3 other games they lost by 4 points or less. Just imagine if they had WRs for Bradford.

They will lose to the Saints in the Wildcard game but they can get Bradford a WR in next years draft.

SH-Rock
12-26-2010, 09:52 PM
my vote goes to Morris of Tampa Bay,even though they didnt beat a team over .500 just take a look at his team and it's incredible what he's done this year.

I think that team have a very bright future

What about their injuries to their top CB.

OX1947
12-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Coach of the Year is Andy Reid. And in my opinion, its not even close....

Whodis
12-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Didn't the Chiefs go worst to first? Haley

scsteeler
12-28-2010, 12:18 PM
No coach of the year unless he can win the Super Bowl.

They lost to almost every good team Patriots, Jets, Baltimore and NO (3 at home). The only good teams they beat were Atlanta in overtime and a fluky Ravens win. In the Baltimore win, they didn't look good.

Why does he have to win the SB in order to get coach of the year. I remember most on this board thinking we would only be 8-8 or at best 9-7 and now we are looking at second seed in the AFC with all the injuries and O-line changes and missing Ben the first 4 games. Yes I can see him get coach of the year but he may not.

I just don't understand why Tomlin has to win the SB every year to be considered a good coach. Hmmmmmmmmm!

Third Rail
12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Wade Phillips