PDA

View Full Version : we have the #1 ranked defense now

jizzballz
12-26-2010, 06:07 PM
bengals needed 328 total yards to tie the steelers with chargers on total yards allowed

they have got 371 at the moment, as long as we dont do the shit we did against the browns earlier this year, we should finish with the #1 ranked defense.

5th time in 10 years, i think that's most in a 10 year period ever in the nfl.

01, 04, 07, 08, 10?

Rick5895
12-26-2010, 06:13 PM
But if you listen to the so called experts and some of the folks on here our D sucks without Troy.

cubanstogie
12-26-2010, 06:15 PM
bengals needed 328 total yards to tie the steelers with chargers on total yards allowed

they have got 371 at the moment, as long as we dont do the shit we did against the browns earlier this year, we should finish with the #1 ranked defense.

01, 04, 07, 08, 10?

even if the stats don't show it, our D better than the Chargers. For the life of me I can't see how they were rated 1. Bengals rolled on them and Palmer actually looked like an all pro. Not to mention the Raiders put up 35 on them. Great to see River fail to make playoffs, tired of him being touted as the best thing since sliced bread. Take the stats, I will take the wins. Back to your post, that is impressive I agree.

Rick5895
12-26-2010, 06:15 PM
I happen to believe and have always believed that our D is great, and Coach Dad is great and our D is the reason we are 11-4 this season. (We should be 13-2, our ST cost us 2 games)

jizzballz
12-26-2010, 06:23 PM
even if the stats don't show it, our D better than the Chargers. For the life of me I can't see how they were rated 1. Bengals rolled on them and Palmer actually looked like an all pro. Not to mention the Raiders put up 35 on them. Great to see River fail to make playoffs, tired of him being touted as the best thing since sliced bread. Take the stats, I will take the wins. Back to your post, that is impressive I agree.

yeah the chargers defense really sucks, but being #1 is for boasting and gloating to other fans

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

jizzballz
12-26-2010, 06:29 PM
i think im wrong lol, the chargers should end up allowing 267 yards per game, but that leaves them 4005 total yards, we will be at 4200, if we keep the browns to under 250 yards per game that leaves us at 4450 total yards (278.1), if the broncos record 446 yards, we will be #1 by 1 yard lol.

TEBOW TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Merchant
12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
We already have the #1 D for PPG. I think that's more important than Total Yards.

NYC_Steeler
12-26-2010, 08:10 PM
As everyone pretty much knows, our pass defense is what kills us. It's even worse without Troy as opposing QBs are more confident about throwing it downfield. If we had better CBs, the D would be # 1, period. We got burned by the Pats big time, and that needs to change if we're going to beat them for the AFC Championship.

jizzballz
12-26-2010, 08:54 PM
We already have the #1 D for PPG. I think that's more important than Total Yards.

i dont that saying the 2000 tennessee titans defense and 2006 baltimore ravens defense is better than the 2008 pittsburgh steelers defense, and the 2008 pittsburgh steelers defense overall was better than the 2000 baltimore ravens defense.

points per game is such an inflated stat with the turnovers in territory's pick sixes, special team touchdowns ect.

lionslicer
12-26-2010, 08:55 PM
But if you listen to the so called experts and some of the folks on here our D sucks without Troy.

Pass defense has been weak all season, with or without him... Its actually been better without him.

Rick5895
12-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Pass defense has been weak all season, with or without him... Its actually been better without him.

Teams can't run on us, so the passing numbers against are somewhat inflated. We may give up some yards between the 20's but we are #1 in scoring D. That is the determining factor in being a great D.
We had 2 poor games this season, New England and New Orleans. Personally I would like a shot at both again.

steeltheone
12-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Our defense is built to stop the run. It does not matter if it's Hoke or the overpaid Hampton there is no change. Same at DE Eason..overated A. Smith or Ziggy no change!

Whodis
12-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Our defense is built to stop the run. It does not matter if it's Hoke or the overpaid Hampton there is no change. Same at DE Eason..overated A. Smith or soggy....no change!

That is a stupid statement.... When eason replaced him last year teams were running all over us!

Hood has been a good surprise filling in for Smith.

plenewken
12-27-2010, 07:16 AM

01, 04, 07, 08, 10?

This morning, SD is #1 in total defense. Big friggin' deal, they're out of the playoffs
Only stat that really matters is number of W and number of L. Number of pts per game is a better measure of performance than yds per game anyway.

steeltheone
12-27-2010, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=Whodis;885250]That is a stupid statement.... When eason replaced him last year teams were running all over us!

Hood has been a good surprise filling in for Smith.[/Q
Rushing yards per game against us

2010 ... 64.1
2009 ... 89.9
2008 ... 80.2
2007 ... 89.9 .............. So your response is stupid.

Rotorhead
12-27-2010, 01:47 PM
That list of numbers is as stupid as the post u r replying to, why even try to run when it is easy to pass on us. Some of those games teams didnt even try to establish a running game so the rpg are off for that reason as well. Best def rating should include a number of stats, TO's, rpg, ppg, points allowed, points scored on def, etc etc.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-27-2010, 01:57 PM
For the life of you?

Its yardage given up. SD has given up less.

We nailed down Claussen, Campbell, kept Sancheezo in check, mainly because he cant hit the side of a huge barn cleanly.
Now we get Mccoy, the Stains should not get more than 200 yards on us. SD plays Tebow, who had a huge game yesterday. we need 200 yards difference between defenses. Than statistically yards and points we top the chargers.

with Troy, at times he just needs to stay in check in the secondary, like what he did with palmer when he was hurt. He contained, shut down that entire side of the field. Occasionally blitz is fine, but just hold your spot. Its a shut down on the ling ball. when he roams it losens up, more so against the good qbs, Brady and Brees. We dont have the secondary depth to let Troy roam right now.

steeltheone
12-27-2010, 02:33 PM
For the life of you?

Its yardage given up. SD has given up less.

We nailed down Claussen, Campbell, kept Sancheezo in check, mainly because he cant hit the side of a huge barn cleanly.
Now we get Mccoy, the Stains should not get more than 200 yards on us. SD plays Tebow, who had a huge game yesterday. we need 200 yards difference between defenses. Than statistically yards and points we top the chargers.

with Troy, at times he just needs to stay in check in the secondary, like what he did with palmer when he was hurt. He contained, shut down that entire side of the field. Occasionally blitz is fine, but just hold your spot. Its a shut down on the ling ball. when he roams it losens up, more so against the good qbs, Brady and Brees. We dont have the secondary depth to let Troy roam right now.
We have no secondary depth

btaylor179
12-27-2010, 04:13 PM
we might not even make championship game unless the offense plays better

fer522
12-27-2010, 04:19 PM
so we are NOT # 1!!?? nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

lionslicer
12-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Teams can't run on us, so the passing numbers against are somewhat inflated. We may give up some yards between the 20's but we are #1 in scoring D. That is the determining factor in being a great D.
We had 2 poor games this season, New England and New Orleans. Personally I would like a shot at both again.

But if you know they are gonna pass no matter what, Why aren't the Steelers stopping them? In 2008, it was the same thing, dominate the run then once they knew the team was gonna pass, play pass defense, they haven't done that all season. Even if you take out the late passing rallies by teams like the browns and bengals to try to get back in the game, its still been medicore. Not a top 15 defense at all.

Whodis
12-27-2010, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=Whodis;885250]That is a stupid statement.... When eason replaced him last year teams were running all over us!

Hood has been a good surprise filling in for Smith.[/Q
Rushing yards per game against us

2010 ... 64.1
2009 ... 89.9
2008 ... 80.2
2007 ... 89.9 .............. So your response is stupid.

They were No. 2 against the run when Smith tore a biceps muscle against New England, but then gave up 629 yards rushing while losing three of their final four games (grant it this was the end of 2007)

As I said before... Hood is a pretty good replacement. But to call Smith overrated? Does he take plays off? Do you think teams run over him? Inquiring minds want to know?

Fire Haley
12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
The defense can only do so much.

It's all on Ben this year.

He has his chance to kick Lord Goodell right in the balls.

Just do it

jizzballz
12-27-2010, 08:36 PM
according to some of your retard posts, minus the jets special team touchdowns against them last year, they would of given up just 13.2 points per game, not 14.6 which puts them better than 2008 steelers defense.

now i see why so many of us americans are stupid and living on the poverty line (isnt it like 30% now LOL)

we also must have the most intelligent fans.

steeltheone
12-27-2010, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=steeltheone;885287]

They were No. 2 against the run when Smith tore a biceps muscle against New England, but then gave up 629 yards rushing while losing three of their final four games (grant it this was the end of 2007)

As I said before... Hood is a pretty good replacement. But to call Smith overrated? Does he take plays off? Do you think teams run over him? Inquiring minds want to know?

You said teams ran through us last year without Smith which was not true. 35 year old players are not near as productive as they were. Just a fact.

Everybody overrates how important he is now. Not 2007.

The only player we cannot go without is TP43 ..Ike and Harrison probably a close second.

It will be nice having him back for The playoffs. But Ziggy should remain the starter.

joeyssteelcurtain
12-28-2010, 04:48 PM
The defense can only do so much.

It's all on Ben this year.

He has his chance to kick Lord Goodell right in the balls.

Just do it

And he will. Ben will be the super bowl mvp. You can take that to the bank

plenewken
12-29-2010, 06:31 AM
And he will. Ben will be the super bowl mvp. You can take that to the bank

I'll believe it when I see it.

Rick5895
12-29-2010, 07:06 AM
But if you know they are gonna pass no matter what, Why aren't the Steelers stopping them? In 2008, it was the same thing, dominate the run then once they knew the team was gonna pass, play pass defense, they haven't done that all season. Even if you take out the late passing rallies by teams like the browns and bengals to try to get back in the game, its still been medicore. Not a top 15 defense at all.

I understand the point you are making about the yardage, however, we are leading the NFL in fewest points against, so teams aren't scoring on us. Seems like teams are throwing the short routes, we tackle well. The Ratbirds hit a couple of ong throws against us, that happens to all NFL teams at some point.
Give up 15 less yards/game and we are well into the top ten in pass defense, to be honest the only ranking that matters to me with defense is points allowed and we are #1 in that category.

Rick5895
12-29-2010, 07:14 AM
To continue on , 6 of the top 10 teams in pass defense won't be in the playoffs, and #1 is San Diego. We are #14 in yards per game allowed vs pass, take off say 15 per game then we are #6. We have the current #2 D in yards allowed.
We stop the run, this makes teams 1 dimensional, we allow the fewest points. THAT , MY FRIENDS, is why we are the best D in the NFL.
I said it in a different thread, with Troy coming back and possible Aaron I beleive we are going to go on a run in the playoffs with oour D that hasn't been seen since the 2000 Ratbirds

plenewken
12-29-2010, 08:47 AM
I understand the point you are making about the yardage, however, we are leading the NFL in fewest points against, so teams aren't scoring on us. Seems like teams are throwing the short routes, we tackle well. The Ratbirds hit a couple of ong throws against us, that happens to all NFL teams at some point.
Give up 15 less yards/game and we are well into the top ten in pass defense, to be honest the only ranking that matters to me with defense is points allowed and we are #1 in that category.

When you have 2 bottom feeders like Cincinnati and Cleveland that we play twice every year plus, let's be realistic, a schedule this year which wasn't tough, coming after 2009 where we finished 3rd in our Division, it's no wonder our points allowed is low.
What worries me is we struggled both defensively and even more offensively against strong teams and that's the kind of opponent we're gonna face in the playoffs. I hope we show a completely different face offensively otherwise, we will not go very far.

Whodis
12-29-2010, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=Whodis;885452]

You said teams ran through us last year without Smith which was not true. 35 year old players are not near as productive as they were. Just a fact.

Everybody overrates how important he is now. Not 2007.

The only player we cannot go without is TP43 ..Ike and Harrison probably a close second.

It will be nice having him back for The playoffs. But Ziggy should remain the starter.

The same stats you spew blasting Smith could be used against Polamalu. most fans know the importance of the front 3

Both were hurt last year and I remember games that we couldn't stop the rush.

Rick5895
12-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Our defense is very good, but, o matter how good we play on D, if our offense doesn't score TD's rather than FG in the playoffs we will be watching a team other than the Steelers come Super bowl.

MACH1
12-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Oops wrong thread.:uhh:

tony hipchest
12-29-2010, 08:32 PM
IE: Statistically the greatest defense of all time..

did you get the t-shirt and hat? :toofunny:

70's steelers defense > 2001-present steelers defense >>> ravens 2000 defense.

1 year = one hit wonders :sofunny:

(thats gotta burn)

tony hipchest
12-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Umm the Ravens have been top 5 statistically every year since. Try again..

awwwww....

thats so cute. did santy clause bring you the little t-shirt and hat and stuff it into your stocking?

steelers>ravens

not only are they better but they have kicked your teams teeth in everytime they met in the playoffs to prove it.

ravens have about as many division titles as the bungles do this decade (maybe one more). steelers have more. steelers have a more dominant defense. kordell knocked the ravens out of the playoffs in their sb defense run and retired elvis grbac.

those are the facts. deal with them. :thumbsup:

in the meantime, we dont mind the cute lil ravenfans trying to run a little smack. just be sure to keep it in the blast furnace, and refrain from the temptation of hijacking OUR threads.

Whodis
12-30-2010, 07:53 AM
in the meantime, we dont mind the cute lil ravenfans trying to run a little smack. just be sure to keep it in the blast furnace, and refrain from the temptation of hijacking OUR threads.

Take it for what it is..

Cleveland South has to talk a little smack since we're playing their Northern half Sunday.

jacksolomon
12-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Newsflash though, your team just sin't that good.

Newsflash: neither is yours.

cloppbeast
12-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Looks like you take yourself a little too seriously there big chief...

But seriously, It's nice to see you guys back in the playoffs this year. That'll give you something to do the next week or so, since I'm assuming you're living in $h!tsburgh and most likely don't have a job.

Newsflash though, your team just sin't that good.. Losses AT HOME to the Ravens, the fraudulent Jets, and that beatdown at the hands of the Pats? Yikes. You should hope for a loss this week so you can play on the road next week cause I know you don't wanna get embarassed at home again.

The Steelers are the 2nd seed in the AFC, so they're certainly not as sorry as you imply. And a single blowout loss doesn't mean squat. In 2008, the Steelers were blown out by Tennesse and still went on to win it all. In 2004, the Patriots got blown out by the lowly Dolphins, and still went on to win it all.

If the Steelers are so sorry, what does that say about your Ravens? The Steelers beat them in Baltimore.......oh wait, I forgot - the Ravens "gave away" the game. lmao

steeltheone
12-30-2010, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=steeltheone;885472]

The same stats you spew blasting Smith could be used against Polamalu. most fans know the importance of the front 3

Both were hurt last year and I remember games that we couldn't stop the rush.

We plain lose games without Polamalu