PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Stereotypes

SteelKnight
12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Interestingly this year, a bunch non-spoken stereotypes have been broken by players having standout years.

Before this year I could have only named one white RB (Justin Leonard...who doesn't start) when Toby Gerhart mentioned he would be drafted higher if he was not white. In addition the last good white RB I could think of was John Riggins.

This year, there is Peyton Hillis, Danny Woodhead, John Kuhn, and Gerhart.

For receivers, there was Wes Welker as the little engine that could. Now there is Austin Colie and Jordy Nelson.

Race doesn't matter in sports but I think it is good anytime stereotypes are broken. It's good for the mind to have real practical examples rather than just philosophical ideals.

lionslicer
12-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Woodhead being the only non-Fullback of the 3 lol... He's just Wes Welker in a running back position, I say if he layed reciever in college he'd be a starter somewhere. When there's a 5'11 220 white running back that actually plays like Adian Peterson, then we can break the stereotype.

White recievers have been around for awhile, wes has made a name for himself couple years ago, but Joe Jurevicious and Brandon Stokely broke the white reciever stereotype like 6 or 5 years ago.

SteelKnight
12-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Woodhead being the only non-Fullback of the 3 lol... He's just Wes Welker in a running back position, I say if he layed reciever in college he'd be a starter somewhere. When there's a 5'11 220 white running back that actually plays like Adian Peterson, then we can break the stereotype.

White recievers have been around for awhile, wes has made a name for himself couple years ago, but Joe Jurevicious and Brandon Stokely broke the white reciever stereotype like 6 or 5 years ago.

Peyton Hillis is a HB and he is pretty good. He had to have several good games to show he was no fluke.
In addition, Gerhart was a HB in college I believe so he would be capable if AP wasn't there...maybe.

Jerevicious and Stokley are not that good. Welker is a top 5 WR each year. I think Jordy Nelson could start on another team and Colie looks to be the real deal. By the way, I was talking about recent white WRs. Of course there were some in the past (e.g. Largent).

tony hipchest
12-27-2010, 12:53 AM
thisw thread first fails when the OP cant even remember merril hoge.

if the OP says 'yeah but merril hoge was no good", then this thread failsX2 (especially when citing the likes of gerhardt, kuhn, leonard).

joe and brandon ARE that good. e. mccaffery was damn good for years. i didnt even know there was a stereotype about white wr's/ :hunch:

to me, this whole discussion is so 2001. i think the nfl has been beyond the whole "stereotype" phase for atleast 10 years.

a young black man can coach a team to a sb victory, and im sure the next time a white guy more talented than jason sehorn comes along, they will be a cornerback in the nfl.

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 03:20 AM
thisw thread first fails when the OP cant even remember merril hoge.

if the OP says 'yeah but merril hoge was no good", then this thread failsX2 (especially when citing the likes of gerhardt, kuhn, leonard).

joe and brandon ARE that good. e. mccaffery was damn good for years. i didnt even know there was a stereotype about white wr's/ :hunch:

to me, this whole discussion is so 2001. i think the nfl has been beyond the whole "stereotype" phase for atleast 10 years.

a young black man can coach a team to a sb victory, and im sure the next time a white guy more talented than jason sehorn comes along, they will be a cornerback in the nfl.

Thanks for your opinion on when a thread fails...lol

Correct me if I'm wrong but Merril is not playing and he is hardly worth mentioning as a past player. I have been more impressed with his post NFL analysis work on EDGE/ESPN etc. That is his football mark...not his blocking on the Steelers...please.

This discussion is not "so 2001" ...lol I'll discuss it with others.

You totally took Leonard out of context BTW...he was not in the forward part of the discussion. I think you missed the point of the thread so I won't bother Mr. moderator. And what the heck was that Jason Sehorn comment about? Forget it.

lionslicer
12-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Peyton Hillis is a HB and he is pretty good. He had to have several good games to show he was no fluke.
In addition, Gerhart was a HB in college I believe so he would be capable if AP wasn't there...maybe.

Jerevicious and Stokley are not that good. Welker is a top 5 WR each year. I think Jordy Nelson could start on another team and Colie looks to be the real deal. By the way, I was talking about recent white WRs. Of course there were some in the past (e.g. Largent).

Peyton was a fullback, he's lucky to have found a team that wanted to move him to running back. Gerhart again lucky to be an HB. Alstott wasn't an HB, he was listened has a FB/RB but he ran the ball more than the starting HB. It Depends where they end up in the NFL..

My point with Jerevicious and Stokley is they broke the white color barior a couple years ago, it was only in the slot positions, even though they had some time starting, they kind of let the league know white people can do it too lol. I've seen a lot more white recievers since they've had some impact on the game. But thats just me, I really dont' want to go through the rosters of each year to find out

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Peyton was a fullback, he's lucky to have found a team that wanted to move him to running back. Gerhart again lucky to be an HB. Alstott wasn't an HB, he was listened has a FB/RB but he ran the ball more than the starting HB. It Depends where they end up in the NFL..

My point with Jerevicious and Stokley is they broke the white color barior a couple years ago, it was only in the slot positions, even though they had some time starting, they kind of let the league know white people can do it too lol. I've seen a lot more white recievers since they've had some impact on the game. But thats just me, I really dont' want to go through the rosters of each year to find out

Yeah...even at 19 I can see you get my point. The point was not to go through the roster and identify each person The point is Colie and Nelson look legitimate. In addition I'm sure when Hillis did well initially, some were wondering whether it was a fluke (I was). He seems to have shown himself to be legit. I just think it is good to have real examples of people doing different things to keep people's minds open. Idealistic theory is one thing but real examples are great too.

MasterOfPuppets
12-27-2010, 09:08 PM
nzY2Qcu5i2A

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 10:36 PM
nzY2Qcu5i2A

lol:sofunny:

harts
01-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Before we sing Kumbaya
Still major inequalities regards to race in the NFL and sports

Dont know how anyone can forget Merril Hoge as he is plastered all over ESPN everyday

How about Rob Carpenter (Giants RB), Brian Leonard, Jeremy Bloom, Don Beebe

For example
If Brett Farve would have been named Donovan Mcnabb I don't think the press coverage would have been the same
Brett with the Jets employee ...... swept under the rug -
Brett's drama queen mentality and extreme selfishness were hardly mentioned by the media
instead he still is god worshipped

There are many people on this board right now who are screaming that Tomlin is doing a poor job and that Whisenhunt would have been better for the job even after the fact that Tomlin has a super bowl win over the same guy

Things are better today than they were yesterday but their is still a lot of progress to be made before things are looked at on an even playing field

Kuhn played for the Steelers- its great he has has success but so what -we dont need him

Fire Arians
01-02-2011, 01:47 AM
i always joked with my friends and said that they should change the position name of running back to running black, cause there's never a white guy in that position lol.

lionslicer
01-02-2011, 02:18 AM
i always joked with my friends and said that they should change the position name of running back to running black, cause there's never a white guy in that position lol.

Or cornerblack. I haven't seen a white cornerback since like the 60's. I've seen white saftey's... I'm not sure if Rod Woodson is half white or not though.. If he is then maybe he's the exception.

I don't think I've ever seen a blackplace kicker, I've seen a couple black punters, but not a placekicker.