PDA

View Full Version : Will we keep Limas Sweed in 2011? (If there's a season)

NYC_Steeler
12-26-2010, 09:33 PM
With the development of Wallace, Sanders, and Brown, I just don't see a place for "Hands-of-Stone". I don't know what will happen with Battle and ARE, so you have to wonder what Sweed's status will be. At what point does the team say enough is enough? Just wondering...

steeltheone
12-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Is Battle even on the team? lol

fer522
12-26-2010, 09:39 PM
With the development of Wallace, Sanders, and Brown, I just don't see a place for "Hands-of-Stone".

:wave: :wave: :wave:

jizzballz
12-26-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.nflbettinglines.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/limas-sweed.jpg

lionslicer
12-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Since Browns and Sanders are on the active roster, I don't know where he is. He might not even be dressed for games.

Sweed still has a year left on his contract, so unless he gets traded, he'll be on the Steelers next season. Maybe just as an emergency 5th or 6th reciever though.

SoCalFan
12-26-2010, 10:05 PM
I want that tall kid that won the Canadian football league championship!I love our current guys but we need TALL guy for the red zone corner fades!Sweed,NO!

SoCalFan
12-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Plaxico will finally be available!LOL....:couch:

SH-Rock
12-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Sweed still has a chance. He's been injury plagued, but I won't give up on him.

mizzouristeeler
12-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Limas who?? Lol

Stlrs4Life
12-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I thought Sweed was cut long time ago?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
I thought Sweed was cut long time ago?

Seems like it. He's been on IR since minicamps.

I think he'll get his shot at the number 5/6 reciever spot. Battle as a "special teams ace" hasn't worked out but he and ARE are both signed for two seasons following this one. My guess is we cut one (if not both) of them loose and let Grisham and Sweed battle it out for a roster spot.

finesward
12-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Which is the worst 2nd round draft pick...

Sweed.

or

Alonzo Jackson.

Discuss.

pancake
12-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Seems like it. He's been on IR since minicamps.

I think he'll get his shot at the number 5/6 reciever spot. Battle as a "special teams ace" hasn't worked out but he and ARE are both signed for two seasons following this one. My guess is we cut one (if not both) of them loose and let Grisham and Sweed battle it out for a roster spot.

That's my thinking too. I would love to see Sweed turn his career around in black and gold.

uclkyle
12-27-2010, 01:52 AM
I think is Sweed is healthy and makes some improvement, yes, he will make the team next year. Will he be active, who knows. Unless we win the SB, Hines is sticking around, then we have Wallace, Sanders, and Brown. That leaves only spot, unless we dress only 4 WR's, which the Steelers have done from time to time. I like Sweed at the #5. Battle is gone. ARE is only around for his return skills. Frankly, those have diminished.

tony hipchest
12-27-2010, 02:04 AM
ive held out hope for sweed but i think he has burnt his bridges.

his injury was earlier than willie colons.

i have seen colon everywhere from training camp vids to the HOF induction ceremony to celebrate dick lebeau, to just about every weekend on the steelers sidelines standing behind the coaches and interacting with the coaches.

sweed has been invisible since his injury. infact, im not even sure he is still living in pgh rehab'ing with the team trainers.

theres a reason steelers have been bringing in 6'4"+ wr's for tryouts. i think its an even bigger reason that these routine and nondescript tryouts have been publisized.

even is sweed fully recovers (physically) he seems to be less of a "steeler type" player than santonio holmes.

IMO the writing is on the wall for him. when he gets released is just a formality.

alot of the tall wr's from his draft class, who were drafted high, never panned out. james hardy and the washington dude quickly come to mind.

at that time p. burress, and r. moss were in the SB and all the rage, which probably inflated their worth. the nfl has moved on since then.

the young TE's like the patriots have will be all the rage next year.

DanRooney
12-27-2010, 03:27 AM
I think is Sweed is healthy and makes some improvement, yes, he will make the team next year. Will he be active, who knows. Unless we win the SB, Hines is sticking around, then we have Wallace, Sanders, and Brown. That leaves only spot, unless we dress only 4 WR's, which the Steelers have done from time to time. I like Sweed at the #5. Battle is gone. ARE is only around for his return skills. Frankly, those have diminished.

What return skills?

PhantomJB93
12-27-2010, 04:02 AM
If we do win the Super Bowl and Hines does indeed retire, I do believe Sweed will get yet another shot with the team, albeit with VERY little playing time. I believe in that scenario we would keep Sweed and cut Battle and/or ARE.

theplatypus
12-27-2010, 07:25 AM
I hope he can come back from his injuries and supposed head issues for two reasons. A 6'4" WR is a nice commodity to have and I hate to see use whiffing on a 2nd round pick.

DanRooney
12-27-2010, 07:38 AM
All I know is Limas pissed the bed as a toddler, and still does :tt03:

steeltheone
12-27-2010, 07:40 AM
If he succeeds it will be a real comeback story. I guess since we are not counting on him it would be a real bonus.

fat4jc
12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I remember hugging fellow Steeler fans at my draft party when we landed Sweed in the 2nd round...I still hope he can turn things around. I'm not sold on Brown yet, but Sanders looks legit, and Ward has what, 1-2 more seasons left? Looking forward into my crystal ball it'd be nice to keep him as a 4/5 WR

1) Wallace
2) Sanders
3a) Brown
3b) ARE
3c) Battle
3d) Sweed

It seems at least to me we have a pressing need at WR3 once Ward retires. Sweed should be given the chance to at win that job.

BengalDestroyer
12-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Yes and he plays an important role in our special teams.

Sweed, I hope he makes it, even if it's not with us. I remember watching him in college, he's an awesome receiver.

biggtee
12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
he runs very good routes and has good speed we all know his problem for some reason i still have hope for him i just find it hard to accept that hes a reciever in the nfl but he cant catch!

Fire Arians
12-27-2010, 12:23 PM
limas sweed peed the bed as a toddler, and still does

cloppbeast
12-27-2010, 12:29 PM
limas sweed peed the bed as a toddler, and still does

I thought this joke would never get old......but you've proven me wrong.

LVSteelersfan
12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
There will be no season next year so it doesn't really matter. Goodell and his clown owner friends in New England and Dallas are destroying the most popular game in the world due to greed on the owners' parts. Art Rooney is probably turning over in his grave.

TRH
12-27-2010, 12:48 PM
There will be no season next year so it doesn't really matter. Goodell and his clown owner friends in New England and Dallas are destroying the most popular game in the world due to greed on the owners' parts. Art Rooney is probably turning over in his grave.

You sure are right about that. Bet alot of the current owners are kicking themselves in the ass now thinking back how they supported the election of Goodell. Little did they know at the time what he and his cronies were going to do.....

StainlessStill
12-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Which is the worst 2nd round draft pick...

Sweed.

or

Alonzo Jackson.

Discuss.

Jackson. He's had more time and had a plethora of great Steelers coach's and players to learn from and be around to work on his game. Limas only had two years and the wide receiver position is poss the hardest to adjust to from college to pros so, without a doubt, Alonzo Jackson. Limas still may have a chance to make the team for a 5th wideout, if not, he'll be cut.

pete74
12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Sweed will never be a number 1, 2, 3 or 4 wr in the NFL. i know alot of you want to see him do well because of his size but its not going to happen. this happens to alot of wr's in the nfl, there great in college and never make it in the NFL. just ask the detroit lions

wnyBob
12-28-2010, 11:09 AM
There must be something to him or going for him that isn't obvious to outside observers or he wouldn't have been around this long, aside from his height. Conversely, he has been around long enough that I'd think if they don't start getting their money's worth out of him soon, his days may be numbered. He could be just another good sleeper receiver in the draft away from gone.

steelerchad
12-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Sweed is now 3 years into his career and has little more experience than a rookie. He's basically way behind in development. I wish he would work out as I think Hines has shown rapid decline this year. Hines is arguably having his worst season since becoming a starter.
Maybe Hines can bounce back for 1 or 2 more solid years. I though Farrior was done after last season and he has played well this year.

Third Rail
12-28-2010, 12:08 PM
If we do have football next year, I do hope that Sweed can prove his worth to the Steelers and finally have a breakout season. It's not impossible... there are a lot of guys in the league who got off to a rough start and became big-time players. Of course, he could be just another bust. At this point, he certainly looks to be one, but one great season can shut all the naysayers up.

I was pulling for him before this season began, but then he got injured. That has to be really frustrating. He sounded like he was ready to put the past behind him and start fresh this year (he even took up a new number, which is a good thing because the number 14 seems to be synonymous with bad luck in Pittsburgh) and then he gets hurt in training camp. Dude must feel like he's cursed.

SH-Rock
12-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah there are a lot of guys who we thought we're busts. Mendy and Timmons were both seen as busts by US and look what they have done for us.

Third Rail
12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I never thought Timmons was a bust. I really didn't understand why so many people jumped on that bandwagon so quickly. LB positions can be hard to adjust to in the NFL.

Mendy... well... yeah, I've called him a bust from time to time so I regret that. I do think that he's a bit overrated these days though by Steeler fans, if no one else. I know the O-Line deserves a lot of the blame for his periodically horrid performances, but I also think he hesitates WAY to much at crucial times (i.e. in the red zone).

LVSteelersfan
12-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Sweed has not been on the field long enough to show what he can really do. When he was playing, they yanked him immediately if he made a mistake. His percentage of catches to noncatches is not as bad as people keep trying to say they are. He just had a couple of high profile drops that he should have hung onto. I don't know if he will remain with the team or not but they will have him in training camp if there is one.