PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Draft for O-line and Secondary improvements

NYC_Steeler
12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't follow college footbal much, so I don't know who the really good players are. But I'd like to get some opinions as to what players would be major improvements for the holes we have at those positions.

steeltheone
12-26-2010, 09:50 PM
We need OL..DL...DB...ILB

SH-Rock
12-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Well I sorta have a mock in the works

Rd 1: Nate Solder OT or Mike Pouncey OG
Rd 2: Jimmy Smith CB (I really like this guy. He is really fast and physical)
Rd 3: Benjamin Ijalana OT or Kennrick Ellis NT

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-26-2010, 11:22 PM
I feel like our biggest needs right now are interior o-line, cornerback and nose tackle.

My early mock would probably look like this:

1: Mike Pouncey G Florida (guards generally fall to late first round so he may be around when we pick)

2: Marvin Austin NT North Carolina (been suspended all season for improper benefits; before the season scouts had him as a top 5 pick; will most likely rise after combine)

3: Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State (nice size, physical, tackles well, three year starter, First Team All Big Ten CB)

Some other big name players(most likely 1st/2nd rounders):

OT Gabe Carimi Wisconsin
OG Rodney Hudson Florida State
CB Jimmy Smith Colorado
CB Aaron Williams Texas
CB Kendric Burney North Carolina
S DeAndre McDaniel Clemson
DE Allen Bailey Miami
DE Cam Heyward Ohio State
DE Adrian Clayborn Iowa
DE Marcell Dareus Alabama
DE Cameron Jordan Cal
NT Stephen Paea Oregon State
NT Jerrell Powe Ole Miss

Stu Pidasso
12-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Can we worry about the next 4 games first please?

GameTime55
12-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Can we worry about the next 4 games first please?

I'm simply hoping we can win two right now..with hopefully a bye sandwich in between.

pancake
12-27-2010, 12:41 AM
I think we need OT, OG, CB, and NT.

PhantomJB93
12-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Drafting Pouncey before the second is a mistake, he's not having a "great" season (at least not first round worthy) down there in Florida and I hope the fact that we have his brother doesn't cloud our judgement. Even if he is playing at center now and played better at guard in the past, it is still a reach and a risk that we don't need to take. If he's there in the late second I'd go for him, but spending our first on him would be a waste.

We need to go CB in the first, the position simply needs to be addressed now. The weakness of the secondary is starting ot show and Ike, our only semi-almost-reliable corner, is getting up there in age. I dont think we WILL go CB in the first as it simply does not seem to be the Steeler way, but IMO this is more important than the oline right now, and even if it is a "deep" draft for corners we need somebody with a first-round pedigree, not another Keenan Lewis or William Gay. I simply dont believe we can have success with another year of Mcfadden/Gay/Lewis with this aging defense.

If Pouncey is there in the second Im all for him, but if we go Oline in the first, unless there is a mad run on Olinemen leading up to our pick there are better options than Pouncey. Maybe options that don't make as good a story as the twin brothers or hold sentimental value, but better nonetheless.

ricardisimo
12-27-2010, 04:40 AM
The consensus seems to be that corner is really deep this year, so that might also not be a first round priority (although I'd like it to be). Furthermore, if you draft a tackle in the first round, it's in the top ten or not at all.

So, in other words, strategically-speaking, drafting a guard (Pouncey or someone else) seems to be the most likely fit for us given what's available and where we're likely to pick. Maybe there's a true 3-4 NT in the late first that would merit the selection instead. I haven't looked into it that much yet.

Speaking of which, we're all getting way ahead of ourselves here, don't you think?

steeltheone
12-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Nah....draft talk is always good!

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
I like the idea of Pouncey and I am happy he sucks at center. We can bring him in and plug him in at guard. From where we will be picking 30-32, it is almost like an early second round pick anyway.

Our real weakness is LG but maybe we can plug Pouncey in at RG and have Foster compete for LG. I think playing on his brother's team will give him the extra mojo he needs to step it up.

I'd like a CB but maybe the team believes in Crezdon Butler. It's too bad we never see Lewis.

I think Hampton and Hoke can give us another 2 years at NT. I think we wait until next year to pick up NT and do it in the first round. No need to have the player sitting on the bench and we don't need 3 NTs.

I would go
1. Pouncey or some other guard if there are top quality G...otherwise CB
2. CB
3. Best FG Kicker (if he seems mature). Some will complain that we should wait until 4th round for a kicker but picking 30-32 is almost like picking in the top of the 4th and this way we would have our choice of the best kicker.
4. Consider Punter if there is a good one there. Sepulveda has missed 2 seasons.

I think Starks and Adams can provide us one more year at tackle. In 2012, once we are losing Adams, we should pay a lot of money in FA for a top tackle.

SH-Rock
12-27-2010, 02:05 PM
In Dick Lebeau's defense, you rarely see rookies play. They get the player ready for the following year so it would make sense in drafting a NT this year and play him the year after.

Rick5895
12-27-2010, 02:15 PM
With where we will be drafting we will have to settle for interior OL help in round 1 or maybe a QB and draft OL in the second. One position we need to address is safety. As great as Troy is we will need someone to step in for him at some point because of his history with injuries.
I think we are fine at LB, as I think #55 will be a very good ILB for us in the future.

MDSteel15
12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
The consensus seems to be that corner is really deep this year, so that might also not be a first round priority (although I'd like it to be). Furthermore, if you draft a tackle in the first round, it's in the top ten or not at all.

So, in other words, strategically-speaking, drafting a guard (Pouncey or someone else) seems to be the most likely fit for us given what's available and where we're likely to pick. Maybe there's a true 3-4 NT in the late first that would merit the selection instead. I haven't looked into it that much yet.

Speaking of which, we're all getting way ahead of ourselves here, don't you think?

3-4 Nose Jerrell Powe(sp)

Merchant
12-27-2010, 02:25 PM
There is a forum for Draft talk. Just sayin :P

SH-Rock
12-27-2010, 03:01 PM
There is a forum for Draft talk. Just sayin :P

No one goes there.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-27-2010, 03:11 PM
As much as I would like to go with Def any place. Unless there is a Troy P available, I see Oline. Since we will only sign FA's that are Kmart special cheap, I think we need to draft another good one.

I would prefer Pouncey, but only if the pick warrants it, and not a better oline is there. We wont get a shut down secondary player with the last pick in the draft, thats for sure. :) So the last pick in the first rd, I go with Pouncey if he is there.
No one will draft him as a center, the Gators didn him a disservice moving him there this year.

PhantomJB93
12-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I like the idea of Pouncey and I am happy he sucks at center. We can bring him in and plug him in at guard. From where we will be picking 30-32, it is almost like an early second round pick anyway.

Our real weakness is LG but maybe we can plug Pouncey in at RG and have Foster compete for LG. I think playing on his brother's team will give him the extra mojo he needs to step it up.

I'd like a CB but maybe the team believes in Crezdon Butler. It's too bad we never see Lewis.

I think Hampton and Hoke can give us another 2 years at NT. I think we wait until next year to pick up NT and do it in the first round. No need to have the player sitting on the bench and we don't need 3 NTs.

I would go
1. Pouncey or some other guard if there are top quality G...otherwise CB
2. CB
3. Best FG Kicker (if he seems mature). Some will complain that we should wait until 4th round for a kicker but picking 30-32 is almost like picking in the top of the 4th and this way we would have our choice of the best kicker.
4. Consider Punter if there is a good one there. Sepulveda has missed 2 seasons.

I think Starks and Adams can provide us one more year at tackle. In 2012, once we are losing Adams, we should pay a lot of money in FA for a top tackle.

I dont think we need to worry about a kicker anymore, if Suisham came in and was "average" and made some easy ones and missed some hard ones I could see us draftign one but I mean, seriously, the dude is 100% so far and has kicked A LOT of field goals in difficult conditions and from "hard" distances...the only thing is unless he gets better at kickoffs we might need to find somebody who can do those, but Suisham has done well enough to earn a return next year at kicker IMO

stiller39
12-27-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't think we will take a gaurd in the first round period. We need a left tackle and by the time we draft there might not be one that is worthy of our first pick. We need a lock down corner but again don't think there will be one where we will be drafting. I am not given up on our Lewis or Burnett at this time anyway. I think that if there is a 3-4 nose tackle available we should go for him with the first pick. I think we can find a gaurd in the second or third round. I believe the steelers will take the best player available as usual anyway.

stiller39
12-27-2010, 05:34 PM
What a draft to focus on O line and Dline that we have not really focused on for a while now. We hit it good with the young receivers, young running back. Lets get some top shelf O and D linemen in there.

MDSteel15
12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
We need TOP FLIGHT corners, SAFETY help, TACKLES (offensive and defensive) and DEs to help with our aging line....

pete74
12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
In Dick Lebeau's defense, you rarely see rookies play. They get the player ready for the following year so it would make sense in drafting a NT this year and play him the year after.

Hampton started his 1st year. regardless, if we wait we may not have a NT in 2 years. we need to draft one this year because odds are he wont be a great run stuffer his 1st season and were going to really need someone to take over soon

ricardisimo
12-27-2010, 07:51 PM
We're getting two tackles back next year from IR, both signed to long contracts, so I think we can scratch tackle from the list of possible first-rounders.

theplatypus
12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Are there any above average LT's available via free agency in 2011? Sign a top tier LT move Starks to RT, and Colon to RG. Starks is servicable at LT, but better suited at RT, Colon is almost certainly better at Guard. Then we're down to Kemoatu(sp?) as the weak link at LG. Never going to happen, but I bet our O'line would be vastly improved. Then we could use our 1st round pick on another area of concern.

PhantomJB93
12-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Are there any above average LT's available via free agency in 2011? Sign a top tier LT move Starks to RT, and Colon to RG. Starks is servicable at LT, but better suited at RT, Colon is almost certainly better at Guard. Then we're down to Kemoatu(sp?) as the weak link at LG. Never going to happen, but I bet our O'line would be vastly improved. Then we could use our 1st round pick on another area of concern.

This is exactly what I keep saying, it's like people just completely forget we have two other Olinemen that are more than just decent, not GREAT by any means but not bad enough to warrant the need to waste a first on another OL IMO. Plus its not like this team has had trouble finding success behind patchwork Olines anyway, sure a first round OLman would help but to me its simply not our greatest need and not worth spending our first pick on, however the weaknesses of the defense, namely the secondary, have shown our team to be quite vulnerable...

And I say this every year, but history shows that if you want a good CB you better take them early...later round CBs RARELY become stars or even become remotely decent for that matter, sure there are a few exceptions but if you compile a list of the top corners in the game today, Im willing to bet over 90% were taken in the first or early second round...

Fire Arians
12-28-2010, 02:02 AM
i don't care what we get as long as we're picking 32nd

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2010, 02:10 AM
We're getting two tackles back next year from IR, both signed to long contracts, so I think we can scratch tackle from the list of possible first-rounders.
actually thats not true. colons is on his 1 year tender , and starks has 2 years left after this year. adams has 1 more year , john scott is only signed for this year . chris scott has 2 more years. tony hills will be a restricted FA.

Rick5895
12-28-2010, 09:25 AM
The CB from Utah, Burton is very good and would look good in our uniform.

SH-Rock
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
The CB from Utah, Burton is very good and would look good in our uniform.

I think he's overrated.

SteelKnight
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
No one goes there.

I know. You would be posting to yourself. lol

SteelKnight
12-28-2010, 12:19 PM

If we were to draft him high, we would have to get rid of Hoke then. We have no room on the team for three NTs. If the guy was too high he would not be able to be placed on the PS. I would rather just wait and use a #1 draft pick on a NT the following year.

SteelKnight
12-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I dont think we need to worry about a kicker anymore, if Suisham came in and was "average" and made some easy ones and missed some hard ones I could see us draftign one but I mean, seriously, the dude is 100% so far and has kicked A LOT of field goals in difficult conditions and from "hard" distances...the only thing is unless he gets better at kickoffs we might need to find somebody who can do those, but Suisham has done well enough to earn a return next year at kicker IMO

No way. Suisham is just short term patchwork. He is not very good and I've been holding my breath. He did miss a 41 yard kick last week and he could cost us in the playoffs. He is not a good kicker. I'd rather just get a fresh confident rookie.

SteelKnight
12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
We need TOP FLIGHT corners, SAFETY help, TACKLES (offensive and defensive) and DEs to help with our aging line....

I disagree. We don't need a safety next year. Mundy and Allen will be fine. Maybe in 3 years, we can use a top pick on one.

We don't need a DE next year with Smith, Keisel, and Hood. If they can find one later that they can develop, fine but not a top pick since Smith and Keisel will still try to play. Once one of them retires and we are left with Hood and the other, we can then consider using a top pick on a DE.

I think we should wait a year before we go for Hamptons replacement. Our running D is fine and hoke does well filling in. 2012 draft would be the right time. We have no room for 3 NTs and I'd like to keep Hoke another year.

I agree with CB. We could also use a LG but that's if it is a talent that could start right away. I wouldn't want to waste a first round pick on a developmental guard.

SteelKnight
12-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Hampton started his 1st year. regardless, if we wait we may not have a NT in 2 years. we need to draft one this year because odds are he wont be a great run stuffer his 1st season and were going to really need someone to take over soon

Oh please! People were saying we NEEDED to have one last draft. What happened? It's nonsense. We can wait until the 2012 draft. Both Hampton and Hoke can continue maybe 2 more years if needed. It's no emergency.

SH-Rock
12-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I think we should get some quantity in the undrafted players. Get 2-3 more Offense Linemen and see how they do. You'd be surprised what you can find in the undrafted players. Legarette Blount is an absolute stud and how about Jeff Saturday.

SH-Rock
12-28-2010, 06:00 PM
What do you guys say about Mike Pouncey? Overrated due to his brother or not overrated and deserves the attention as being a quality OG?