PDA

View Full Version : Power Ranking For Real

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 05:25 AM
OK...Here we go. Who's most likely to win the Super Bowl

1. Patriots - People can pretend they are not scared but they are. The Pats have scored 31 or more points in 10 of their 15 games including their last 7 straight. They are legit and now have home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

2. Saints -They are starting to click again...very formidable

3. Eagles -Vick is something else. They have a good shot.

4. Packers -Now looking like they will get in, nobody should want to play them.

5. Steelers - Good team. If they can sure up the pass D and improve in the Red Zone, they have a great shot

6. Ravens -Excellent team week after week. This could be their year.

7. Falcons -despite their awesome record at home (Matty Ice 19-1) and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, I just feel they are missing something the Saints, Eagles and Packers have so they will be beat.

8. Colts - If their defense would start playing well, Peyton is always a candidate to put up points and this could prove to be useful.

9. Jets - Fluky team with fluky wins. Their luck will eventually run out.

10. Bears -If Cutler could cut down on their mistakes, they would have a small shot.

11. Chiefs - No chance in hell. I wouldn't be shocked if they win one or 2 playoff games but 3 won't happen.

12. Rams- bless their hearts. They will lose to the Saints in the WC.

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 05:33 AM
MY Playoff predictions:

AFC

#6 Jets Defeat #3 Chiefs
#4 Colts Defeat #5 Ravens

#1 Patriots Defeat # 6 Jets
#2 Steelers Defeat #4 Colts

#1 Patriots Defeat #2 Steelers

NFC

#6 Packers defeat #3 Bears
#5 Saints defeat #4 Rams

#6 Packers defeat #1 Falcons
#5 Saints defeat #2 Eagles

#5 Saints defeat #6 Packers

Superbowl
Patriots defeat Saints

ricardisimo
12-27-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm not convinced the Colts are a lock, nor the Rams. Also, Chiefs will beat the Jets, and we'll beat the Patriots the second time around.

Super Bowl is ours over Atlanta (although I'd like to see the Eagles).

MasterOfPuppets
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM
5. Steelers - Good team. If they can sure up the pass D and improve in the Red Zone, they have a great shot

6. Ravens -Excellent team week after week. This could be their year.

so the noted flawed , but "good" team , is ranked ahead of the consistently "excellent" team ......:huh: or does good trump excellent in your vocabulary ?

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 01:14 PM
so the noted flawed , but "good" team , is ranked ahead of the consistently "excellent" team ......:huh: or does good trump excellent in your vocabulary ?

Home field advantage...that's it. Also Ben has had the Raven's number. The edge is ever so slight.

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm not convinced the Colts are a lock, nor the Rams. Also, Chiefs will beat the Jets, and we'll beat the Patriots the second time around.

I think the Colts are a lock to get in if that's what you mean. They will beat Tenn.

I'd like it if the Chiefs could beat the Jets. That was my interesting scenario because then we would play the Chiefs. It is definitely possible. Also the Chiefs could beat us.

I'm hopeful we can win the Superbowl...but I wouldn't bet on it with the Pats in our lane.

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 01:28 PM
This was not a year of parity in the league. Only one team will make the playoffs with less than 10 wins and 9 are likely to have at least 11 wins. This year the truly qualified are making it. Just look at the WC teams ...Baltimore, Jets, Saints, Packers...all very good.

The other thing is early in the year, the AFC looked stronger but now aside from NE, the NFC looks stronger.

MasterOfPuppets
12-27-2010, 01:38 PM
i still don't get what bmore has done to earn the "excellent" tag. they've only won 3 games by more than a td. with their "signature" win being against carolina.
good teams beat the teams they should beat. excellent teams destroy the teams they should beat.

ricardisimo
12-27-2010, 08:39 PM
This was not a year of parity in the league. Only one team will make the playoffs with less than 10 wins and 9 are likely to have at least 11 wins. This year the truly qualified are making it. Just look at the WC teams ...Baltimore, Jets, Saints, Packers...all very good.

The other thing is early in the year, the AFC looked stronger but now aside from NE, the NFC looks stronger.
After 16 weeks, you'd think the "truly qualified" would always get in. However, it's odd that you picked this year, of all of them, to make that statement. I say odd, given the situation in the NFC Worst.

I suspect you're not as enamored with the AFC because one of your early-season darlings - the Chargers - are out. That, and Indy is finally fading. Am I wrong? As far as actual inter-conference record, the AFC, as always, still holds the edge: 34-30.

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 10:34 PM
i still don't get what bmore has done to earn the "excellent" tag. they've only won 3 games by more than a td. with their "signature" win being against carolina.
good teams beat the teams they should beat. excellent teams destroy the teams they should beat.

I've see quite a few of their games. Of the 4 they lost, they gave the Patriots and the Falcons a good run and could have potentially beat either. Regarding the Steelers loss, they sort of dominated and if it were not for that one Polamalu play, it would have been different. The only poor show was against the bengals but that was early. Give them props for beating both the Jets and the Saints...two teams we couldn't handle.

Even though I say excellent, their offense still never reached the level I had expected.

SteelKnight
12-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I suspect you're not as enamored with the AFC because one of your early-season darlings - the Chargers - are out. That, and Indy is finally fading. Am I wrong? As far as actual inter-conference record, the AFC, as always, still holds the edge: 34-30.

Not at all. I always had the Chargers lower down ...around 9 or so.

What changed for me is the image of the Steelers, Ravens and Jets. Before, with those 3 plus the Patriots, the AFC looked super dominant, and that's not even considering the colts.

With the Steelers, we all assumed their defense would be dominant, somehow they would improve their pass defense then when Ben returned, he was going to be AMAZING. The Steelers offense has been lackluster and the team does what it needs to win but they only scored 31 or more in 2 games. Compare that with the Patriots 10 games including the last 7 straight.

With the Ravens, we knew they had an awesome defense and it looked to get better with Reed returning. We knew they had great running but with the addition of Bolden, Stalwaorth and Housh to add to Mason, it seemed like the Ravens would have a prolific offense. They are good but not quite as dominant as i expected.

The Jets appeared that they would have a dominant D instead of an alright D. With Holmes joining and already having Edwards, there was potential for the Jets to be really dominant. nah...they are not.

So yes, the Colts look a little less dominant but the reason the AFC is less impressive has more to do with the play of the Steelers, Jets, and Ravens (offense).

SteelKnight
12-28-2010, 11:35 PM
This Eagles loss might help them in the long run. Sure they will have to win the WC game against the Packers or Giants but then they get to face the Bears...an easier opponent than the Saints so it might make them more likely to reach the Championship game. It would force the Saints and Falcons against each other in the divisional round.

ricardisimo
12-29-2010, 01:48 AM
This Eagles loss might help them in the long run. Sure they will have to win the WC game against the Packers or Giants but then they get to face the Bears...an easier opponent than the Saints so it might make them more likely to reach the Championship game. It would force the Saints and Falcons against each other in the divisional round.
That, and they got the loss out of their system, much like we did in the 30s through the 60s, and like the Browns have been doing ever since.

lionslicer
12-29-2010, 05:48 AM

Steelers are a good team, but they match up well against this excellent team. Steelers have had the Ravens number more than once. I'd rank the Steelers ahead of the Ravens just due to the fact that if they met up in the playoffs, Steelers would win.

lionslicer
12-29-2010, 05:55 AM

Jags don't make it in, they've lost momentum, Colts gained it back, they'll run over the Titans.

Seahawks have lost 3 straight, they own their destiny next week against the Rams, but its highly unlikely they win.

__________________________________________________ ____
anyhoozle

I like the power ranking. but Packers too high. They are the team no one wants to play, but they beat up on the Giants a team that has been falling apart, I don't think they fair as well against better teams.

Cheifs could be a bit higher, I am shocked they made the playoffs, but that defense can hold its own, and the running game keeps play makers off the field. They'll be watching that movie "the little engine that could" all through the playoffs.

But it is any givin sunday, how many times has a 4th-6th seed team gotten to the superbowl to try and prove everyone wrong? Hasn't always ended well, but it doesn't mean its impossible. Rams could face the Cheifs in the superbowl... Most unlikely superbowl in the past 20 years, but hey, I'd rather watch that than watch the Patriots and Saints.

TRH
12-29-2010, 09:13 AM
the Packers impress me. Rogers coud be one step above Brady. He's crazy good. He does it with marginal protection...i can imagine his stats if he had "all day long" Brady time back there to pass
I think they'll make it to at least the Championship game

SteelKnight
12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
the Packers impress me. Rogers coud be one step above Brady. He's crazy good. He does it with marginal protection...i can imagine his stats if he had "all day long" Brady time back there to pass
I think they'll make it to at least the Championship game

You had me for a second until you mention Rogers possibly being ahead of Tom Terrific. I think Brady is hands down the best player in the NFL. He makes everyone around him better and the super dominant patriots would be trash without him. Look how good moss and Branch looked when they were with Tom. Tim IS great and the others that don't see that are jealous. He is cool under pressure.

Rogers is good ...top 6 good for sure.

I've always had Ben #4 but he's been inaccurate. We'll see how rogers reacts in the playoffs. Ben may be #4 through #7. I'll put 4-7 in tier 2.

Tier #1
1.Brady
2. Brees
3. Manning -too much miscommincation and whining recently

Tier #2
4. Ben
4. Rogers
4. Vick
4. Rivers

There are a lot of good QBs in the league these days. In the old days there were like 6 really good ones and everyone else average or poor.

Tier 3
8.Matty ice
9.Flaco
10.Eli -gets sloppy too often.

Tier 4
11. Josh Freeman
12. Cutler

Tier 5
13. Bradford

Sad to say I am not including Favre and McNabb. I'm sure Kolb wants consideration too. lol

Fire Arians
12-29-2010, 07:30 PM
ravens aint gonna lose to the colts

MasterOfPuppets
12-29-2010, 08:04 PM
You had me for a second until you mention Rogers possibly being ahead of Tom Terrific. I think Brady is hands down the best player in the NFL. He makes everyone around him better and the super dominant patriots would be trash without him. Look how good moss and Branch looked when they were with Tom. Tim IS great and the others that don't see that are jealous. He is cool under pressure.

did you ever stop and wonder why a guy like matt cassel, in his first year starting, was able to put up almost identical stats that brady put up his first 4 years starting ?
do you think maybe tom brady's awesomeness extended all the way from the sidelines to cassell and helped him win 11 of his first 16 starts ? it almost had to right ? otherwise they would have been trash and had a losing record with their inexperienced qb .
he didn't look so "cool" under the G-men pressure....:chuckle:

TuA4YvH2hj8

SteelKnight
12-31-2010, 04:57 PM
did you ever stop and wonder why a guy like matt cassel, in his first year starting, was able to put up almost identical stats that brady put up his first 4 years starting ?
do you think maybe tom brady's awesomeness extended all the way from the sidelines to cassell and helped him win 11 of his first 16 starts ? it almost had to right ? otherwise they would have been trash and had a losing record with their inexperienced qb .

TuA4YvH2hj8

Cassel wasn't as good. Look...he lost to the Steelers that year who Brady owns...lol (Hate to say it).

I guess they do have a good offensive system but IMO, Brady is the best football player in the league and he would make just about any team a contender instantly.

The Chiefs are seeing Cassel is no Brady.

SteelKnight
12-31-2010, 05:01 PM
ravens aint gonna lose to the colts

That's fine. I'd rather play the Ravens than the Colts anyway. What if Lebeau's pass defense turns to Swiss cheese again and the O has redzone problems and can't keep up with Manning's touchdowns. No thanks.

lionslicer
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
That's fine. I'd rather play the Ravens than the Colts anyway. What if Lebeau's pass defense turns to Swiss cheese again and the O has redzone problems and can't keep up with Manning's touchdowns. No thanks.

LeBeau's defense has only beaten Manning once since 2004. And Colts still should have won that game if it wasn't for a shoe string tackle by Ben and a missed field goal by a perfect kicker. Steelers have a distinct advantage over the Ravens... Plus I love seeing Ravens fans pissed off after they lose to the Steelers in the playoffs.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2010, 05:30 PM
LeBeau's defense has only beaten Manning once since 2004. And Colts still should have won that game if it wasn't for a shoe string tackle by Ben and a missed field goal by a perfect kicker. Steelers have a distinct advantage over the Ravens... Plus I love seeing Ravens fans pissed off after they lose to the Steelers in the playoffs.
so your going to play the "IF" game to show how the colts should have won ?
how's this for an IF ? ....IF ... bettis wouldn't have fumbled , that game wouldn't have even been that close.

lionslicer
12-31-2010, 05:38 PM
so your going to play the "IF" game to show how the colts should have won ?
how's this for an IF ? ....IF ... bettis wouldn't have fumbled , that game wouldn't have even been that close.

Seriously dude, **** off, I say one thing just randomly, not even serious about it or anything and you attack me. Don't you have anything better to do than to attack me? Do you just have a big man crush on me?

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Seriously dude, **** off, I say one thing just randomly, not even serious about it or anything and you attack me. Don't you have anything better to do than to attack me? Do you just have a big man crush on me?
wow jr.... i think you better go take your meds. how exactly did i "attack" you ? since when is challenging an opinion or offering an opposing view an attack ? there's an old saying you may have heard before. it goes ..." if you can't take the heat , get the F*CK out of the kitchen" .

uPMYkITzxn0

lionslicer
12-31-2010, 06:13 PM
wow jr.... i think you better go take your meds. how exactly did i "attack" you ? since when is challenging an opinion or offering an opposing view an attack ? there's an old saying you may have heard before. it goes ..." if you can't take the heat , get the F*CK out of the kitchen" .

uPMYkITzxn0

You make it an attack because you're a poopscalion D:<

ls;akdf;kljasdh,m.xcnvoiquwe9roujswdflkjflajdfnv

Its so ****ing frustrating sometimes becuase I make a mistake and you don't challenge my opinion, you just go "you're ****ing wrong"
Not blantant but you do, and if you don't think you do, go eat the shitty crap you cook in your kitchen.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2010, 06:19 PM
You make it an attack because you're a poopscalion D:<

ls;akdf;kljasdh,m.xcnvoiquwe9roujswdflkjflajdfnv

Its so ****ing frustrating sometimes becuase I make a mistake and you don't challenge my opinion, you just go "you're ****ing wrong"
Not blantant but you do, and if you don't think you do, go eat the shitty crap you cook in your kitchen.
i don't say your wrong , i prove your wrong .:popcorn:
did you see me throwing a fit when ric rubbed it in about our kc / sandiego playoff debate ?

lionslicer
12-31-2010, 06:23 PM
i don't say your wrong , i prove your wrong .:popcorn:
did you see me throwing a fit when ric rubbed it in about our kc / sandiego playoff debate ?

I wasn't being serious thats the ****ing problem I have with you sometimes.

If your father was smart enough to pull out I'm sure the world would be a better place.

And my point was valid about LeBeau's defense not being a match for Peyton. So there shouldn't have been any point of talking about my IF ... You just wanted to point that out to piss me off because you're an asshole.

TRH
12-31-2010, 09:42 PM

TuA4YvH2hj8

Amen, brother. EXACTLY.
If everyone will go back 2 seasons and remember....everybody was calling for Cassel to be the permanent starter and that they should finally say goodbye to Brady. It was all over the place...and i happened to be working in the new england area that year and it was even local.
The only reason Cassel lost to us is because we were IN HIS FACE all game...when we played NE this year, we couldn't even get to Brady at all and didn't send the huge blitz (still can't figure out why).
People have very short memories. I still don't think Brady is the best QB in the league and there is nothing anyone can say to convince me othewise. No way. When i watch NE play, i just can't believe its possible for a QB to just stand there...and stand there...and stand there like that until he finds an open receiver. Its ridiculous......He has all day long back there. Of course he's going to make plays.

cubanstogie
01-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Amen, brother. EXACTLY.
If everyone will go back 2 seasons and remember....everybody was calling for Cassel to be the permanent starter and that they should finally say goodbye to Brady. It was all over the place...and i happened to be working in the new england area that year and it was even local.
The only reason Cassel lost to us is because we were IN HIS FACE all game...when we played NE this year, we couldn't even get to Brady at all and didn't send the huge blitz (still can't figure out why).
People have very short memories. I still don't think Brady is the best QB in the league and there is nothing anyone can say to convince me othewise. No way. When i watch NE play, i just can't believe its possible for a QB to just stand there...and stand there...and stand there like that until he finds an open receiver. Its ridiculous......He has all day long back there. Of course he's going to make plays.

you are entitled to your opinion on Brady but I think you are in the minority. Brady IMO is the best QB since Joe Montana. Cassel has done a pretty good job this year and has proven he is a starter in this league. I would love to see their back up against us in the AFC championship even if he had all day to throw. If Brady were on a team say the Bengals, they would be scoring 35 plus a game. I hate the pats but Brady is the MVP unanimously IMO. I still think we can win if we get some pressure, that is the great equalizer.

MasterOfPuppets
01-01-2011, 04:22 PM
anyone see a pattern here ? 19 of brady's 24 pass attempts are descibed as "short" ....you'll find more of the same in most of their games. they rely heavily on YAC yards. why idiots like arians think they need a constant down field pass attack to win is beyond me. and why defensive coordinators don't adjust to the pats short passing game is also a mystery. even rodney harrison said before in a pre game show, the key to beating the pats is to jam the receivers at the line and disrupt their short patterns to give the D time to get to brady.
this is hardly an innovation by belechik and brady. the 49'ers used the same formula to win 4 superbowls.

against greenbay...
(8:04) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 83-W.Welker (21-C.Woodson).
(8:00) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 87-R.Gronkowski pushed ob at GB 43 for 25 yards (37-S.Shields).
(6:57) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to 87-R.Gronkowski (21-C.Woodson).
(4:09) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 39-D.Woodhead.
(4:05) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 85-A.Hernandez pushed ob at NE 22 for 13 yards (24-J.Bush).
(1:43) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to NE 38 for no gain (21-C.Woodson).
(1:07) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep middle to 19-B.Tate.
(14:16) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 83-W.Welker to NE 27 for 7 yards (50-A.Hawk).
(13:33) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 19-B.Tate to NE 32 for 5 yards (37-S.Shields)
(10:18) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 85-A.Hernandez to NE 46 for 6 yards (21-C.Woodson).
(9:39) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 82-A.Crumpler to NE 49 for 3 yards (52-C.Matthews).
(8:56) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 85-A.Hernandez.
(2:04) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 42-B.Green-Ellis to GB 1 for 3 yards (93-E.Walden).
1:13) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 85-A.Hernandez for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN. NE 12-Brady 255th career TD pass, ties Sonny Jurgensen for 11th place all-time.
(4:31) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 83-W.Welker.
(13:07) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 42-B.Green-Ellis to GB 22 for 9 yards (50-A.Hawk).
(11:13) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 11-J.Edelman.
(9:38) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 39-D.Woodhead to NE 49 for 12 yards (21-C.Woodson).
(7:19) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 85-A.Hernandez for 10 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
(4:45) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker
(4:39) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 19-B.Tate (50-A.Hawk).

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 07:47 AM
anyone see a pattern here ? 19 of brady's 24 pass attempts are descibed as "short" ....you'll find more of the same in most of their games. they rely heavily on YAC yards. why idiots like arians think they need a constant down field pass attack to win is beyond me. and why defensive coordinators don't adjust to the pats short passing game is also a mystery. even rodney harrison said before in a pre game show, the key to beating the pats is to jam the receivers at the line and disrupt their short patterns to give the D time to get to brady.
this is hardly an innovation by belechik and brady. the 49'ers used the same formula to win 4 superbowls.

Well the short pass is the weakness in the Steelers defense so his strength is our weakness.

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Now that the Eagles blew the #2 seed, I'll redo my playoff prediction but my power rankings are still about the same. I'd consider switching the Packers and Eagles but I'm not sure. Obviously the Seahawks made it in over the Rams...affects nothing.

#3 Colts beat #6 Jets
#5 Ravens beat #4 Chiefs

#1 Patriots beat #5 Ravens
#2 Steelers beat #3 Clots

#1 Patriots beat #2 Steelers

NFC

#6 Packers beat #3 Eagles
#5 Saints beat #4 Seahawks

#6 Packers beat #1 Falcons
#5 Saints beat # 2 Bears

#5 Saints beat #6 Packers

Superbowl
Patriots defeat Saints

Obviously in my heart I hope it will be the Steelers there and part of me believes that.

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 08:00 AM
So many of the teams are good that it would not surprise me to see
1. Patriots or Steelers for AFC

2. Saints, Packers, Eagles, or Falcons for the NFC...all are good teams

SteelKnight
01-09-2011, 01:29 AM
O for 2 thus far...lol I hope I'm wrong tomorrow too.

steeltheone
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Green Bay and Baltimore