PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison signed...4 years!

Infamix
04-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Steelers reach new four-year deal with LB Harrison
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Steelers locked up one of their most valuable reserves by reaching a four-year, $5.5 million deal with linebacker James Harrison. Included in the deal is a $1.375 million signing bonus.

Harrison was an unsigned exclusive rights player who wouldn't have been a free agent until 2008. But the Steelers wanted to reward him for his play-making ability.

He only had three starts in 2005 and played 31 percent of the defensive downs. But whenever he's on the field, Harrison makes plays. He has pass-rushing ability as an outside linebacker and the versatility to slide inside.

If needed, Harrison could be an every down starter if there is an injury.

Harrison was an undrafted free agent in 2000 whom the team developed for three years as a practice squad player. He gained experience in NFL Europe in 2004 after a one-year fling with the Baltimore Ravens. The Steelers re-signed him in July of 2004.

He had four starts in 2004 and three more starts for the Steelers in 2005. The 6-foot, 242-pound Harrison turns 28 in May.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2407505

Koopa
04-13-2006, 01:32 PM
very well deserved, and it's good to have him locked up cause resigning porter ain't a for sure thing

Suitanim
04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
I like them locking up young talent like this...

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I like this guy a lot. Glad to here this news.

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Nice move by the Steelers. Silverback is ours for a long time.

BlackNGold203
04-13-2006, 03:45 PM
YEAH!!...Silverback rocks!!!

LOL..and he also enforces the sidelines in Cleveland.....*grin*

melroseplace
04-13-2006, 03:55 PM
very glad to hear this...good move

Prosdo
04-13-2006, 04:03 PM
This is great news!

pecantanman
04-13-2006, 04:27 PM
I Think this is a good thing. He is a beast each and every time he is on the field.

BB2W
04-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Good player for a good price. :thmbup:

Midnightwriter1
04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
This was a HUGE signing and it makes me rethink out draft now.. not so sure with Harrison signed and getting better, we may not draft a LB until late rounds. Harrison play bother ILB and OLB which we needed someone for long term in case Porter or Haggins leaves. harrison fills this role and nicely. Now I think we will go .........................

clevestinks
04-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Oh Yeah, keeping the nucleus together

PisnNapalm
04-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Excellent news! Wo0t!

Stlrs4Life
04-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Good news, I also like this signing. Wow, a good draft and this will bve 1 heck of an offseason!

SteelerzGirl
04-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Yipee! Great news! :bouncy:

Haiku_Dirtt
04-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Not only depth at linebacker but he also gives us excellence on special teams. Like Koopa said the future with Joey Porter looks limited.

We got Foote and Haggans in the 4th and 5th round. There is no reason to believe with our three 4th round and two 5th round picks this year that we can't mine a future linebacker too.

Midnightwriter1
04-13-2006, 06:11 PM
and Harrison was undrafted coming out. Keisel was takin in the later rounds as well right ??? like 7th ?? So it doesnt appear that we have to take early LB to be successfull.

tony hipchest
04-13-2006, 06:32 PM
with so many teams switching to the 3-4 defense we will no longer be able to find those gems just sitting there in the 4th and 5th rounds. (college de's to be converted to lb once drafted) the law of demand has turned these past picks into 3rd and 4th rounders. good move to reward harrison. 31% of all defensive plays is no joke for a back up.

Midnightwriter1
04-13-2006, 07:30 PM
eer year you hear of teams switching back and fourth from 4-3 to 3-4 .. i wonder just how many teams are running 3-4 and how many are running 4-3 now. in order to run 3-4, you have to haev that coach that can run it in the first place. Then to get the players to be able to do well in it is a whole diff story. The ravens didint fair too well in 3 - 4 and they are swapping back to 4 -3.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-13-2006, 07:30 PM
I like them locking up young talent like this...

:iagree: This is a great signing..it ensures that we keep the intense, tough, hardnosed, mean, LB mentality tradition going in Pittsburgh for years to come. James is a beast on ST and there's almost no drop off if any when he comes in to spell the starters. This gives us alot of options and alittle security in case of injury too.

Great signing !!!

tony hipchest
04-13-2006, 08:11 PM
eer year you hear of teams switching back and fourth from 4-3 to 3-4 .. i wonder just how many teams are running 3-4 and how many are running 4-3 now. in order to run 3-4, you have to haev that coach that can run it in the first place. Then to get the players to be able to do well in it is a whole diff story. The ravens didint fair too well in 3 - 4 and they are swapping back to 4 -3. the ravens never know what the hell thay are doing year to year. i know dallas, pats, sd, browns will all be looking for 3-4 players. not sure about jax or texans. point is its not like we are the only team running it like when we found players like foote, gildon, porter, lloyd etc in the latter rounds. i think someone who may have cost us a 5th round pick when the 3-4 was exclusive to 1 or 2 teams will now cost about a round higher. just pointing out the economics of it, especially since we draft from a sb winners position (the lowest 1st rounder is essentially the highest 2nd rounder)

Man_Of_Steel
04-13-2006, 09:24 PM
This is a key signing for the Steelers. Adds depth. He is one of my favorites and he's not even a starter.

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20051011pd_fbn_int_leapPJ_450.jpg

Atlanta Dan
04-13-2006, 09:38 PM
For all who have seen the Steelers highlight video for the past year, I believe Harrison assured he was Cowher's kind of player when things apparently went bad on a particular play and, when Cowher asked Silverback what went wrong, Harrison replied "sh** happens," which Cowher loved.

That or when Harrison took down the Browns fan who ran on the field Christmas Eve.

Glad he is locked up for a reasonable price.

tony hipchest
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
For all who have seen the Steelers highlight video for the past year, I believe Harrison assured he was Cowher's kind of player when things apparently went bad on a particular play and, when Cowher asked Silverback what went wrong, Harrison replied "sh** happens," which Cowher loved.
one of my favorite cowher sideline quotes ever. when i first saw that i thought it was during the sb but i think it was in week 1 against the texans. or maybe the titans.

WWIIOwheelz
04-13-2006, 11:52 PM
yep, that was an instant classic for me as well, and told me a lot about how he is regarded among his teammates.

SteelShooter
04-14-2006, 02:14 AM
:iagree: This is a great signing..it ensures that we keep the intense, tough, hardnosed, mean, LB mentality tradition going in Pittsburgh for years to come. James is a beast on ST and there's almost no drop off if any when he comes in to spell the starters. This gives us alot of options and alittle security in case of injury too.

Great signing !!!

I agree...............................Tradition Rocks!
:jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin:

BigDude66687
04-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Congrats to Harrison, he'll be a starter after next year when Haggans or Porter is allowed to walk, I mean when he's started games in the past he has made a big impact its good to know that he'll be with us for another 4 years.

Yay for Diamonds in the rought, Harrison and Parker :)

Steel Pit
04-14-2006, 04:53 AM
He may be the 2nd great linebacker that the Steelers have gotten from little-ole Kent State University.

Midnightwriter1
04-14-2006, 05:58 AM
true true

clevestinks
04-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Does anyone see Harison starting soon, like next season, not this season

Suitanim
04-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Does anyone see Harison starting soon, like next season, not this season

He's probably one injury away from snagging a starting spot.

You know, he's from Akron, and he has a really interesting back story. Akron has open enrollment (basically meaning good HS football programs are free to recruit), and he was an excellent player, but so much of a punk that NOBODY wanted him (and we're talking inner-city schools here). One guy at Copley (a suburb of Akron) gave him a chance, and got him straightened out.

He had a pretty good career at a horrible Kent State, and the rest is history...

SteelCityMan786
04-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Alright the pile driver gets a new contract.

clevestinks
04-14-2006, 11:03 AM
He's probably one injury away from snagging a starting spot.

You know, he's from Akron, and he has a really interesting back story. Akron has open enrollment (basically meaning good HS football programs are free to recruit), and he was an excellent player, but so much of a punk that NOBODY wanted him (and we're talking inner-city schools here). One guy at Copley (a suburb of Akron) gave him a chance, and got him straightened out.

He had a pretty good career at a horrible Kent State, and the rest is history...
I was wondering how much longer Porter would be around? I know he came on towards the end of the year last season, and probably played better than anyone on defense othe than Troy. But how much longer?

MichiSteeler
04-14-2006, 03:32 PM
This is great! Harrison is a good special teams contributer but best of all is a reliable back-up linebacker! Great sign!