PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith news

Heeeeeeeath
12-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Anyone have any info/news on him?

StainlessStill
12-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Some weeks ago, he was authorized to start back up lifting. It was just sometime last week where it was reported that Smith is doing EXCELLENT in his recovery and lifting and he is now starting to get back in football shape. If we beat Cleveland this week, he'll be back healthy, along with Troy. Atleast that's the plan NOW.

Whodis
12-28-2010, 10:49 AM
In MT's post game he made mention of a brace they fitted for him and as stated above it's said he's doing well.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-28-2010, 01:57 PM
It will be a BIG boost to the team to get both Polamalu and Aaron back-- not just from an X's and O's standpoint either. The band of brothers will be re-united.

Good thing, it's time to go on a playoff run soon. Time to take care of business.

If there is one thing Dick Lebeau probably wants to add to his legacy before he retires, it will be to put together the defensive scheme to solve Tom Brady. I figure he has been spending some extra time in the film room since that last meeting. If we get the #2 seed, it's looking like Superbowl via KC-->NE.

Maybe we are hoping to bamboozle them like we did to the Colts back in 2005. They got us 26-7 in the regular season matchup but we whipped on them in the playoffs.

Here's hopin.

Fire Arians
12-28-2010, 02:29 PM
hes benching 900 lbs and running the 40 in 3.8 we're just saving him for the playoffs

LVSteelersfan
12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
hes benching 900 lbs and running the 40 in 3.8 we're just saving him for the playoffs

AWESOME NEWS !!!!!!!!!! He should be ready to rock and roll. :rofl::toofunny::rofl:

But seriously folks, I hope he is back at close to full strength because it hasn't been quite the same without him. The only reason the team is number one against the run without him is that everyone is chucking the ball and not even trying to run. Not because Ziggy and Eason are so good. Thank God Keisel is back. He has been looking good. And that wild man look he has going must scare the daylights out of opposing running backs. :chuckle:

steeltheone
12-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Just what have we missed about Smith ? He is 35 old and slow with no pass rush what so ever.

StainlessStill
12-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Just what have we missed about Smith ? He is 35 old and slow with no pass rush what so ever.

Collapsing of the pocket, hurrying the quarterback, offense's using an extra body to double him to open lanes for the backers, etc. Little things that go unnoticed that we miss. Our run defense is set up to be stout, but with Smith in there, we're unstoppable. We gave up some nice chunks against the Jets and Carolina had nice runs too so Aaron Smith will make his mark and it'll make us a better football team of unity with him as well. He's a leader and the other guys will step it up seeing him in there as well.

cubanstogie
12-28-2010, 05:11 PM
you are the only person I have ever seen who thought Smith is overrated. He has been regarded by fellow defenders as the best player on their D over the years, and is normally thought of as very underrated. I like our D much better with him and Troy back .

Fire Arians
12-28-2010, 05:20 PM

you're crazy bro, he's probably been the best 3-4 defensive end in the NFL and still might be. name even 2 other 3-4 DE's that are better than smith?

Merchant
12-28-2010, 06:36 PM

One of the dumbest posts I've read since being on this site.

fer522
12-28-2010, 07:00 PM
you're joking right :doh::doh: :doh: :doh:

LVSteelersfan
12-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Smith is the best by far. If they didn't double him he would be in the QB's face on every single play. That opens it up for Harrison and Woodley to terrorize the QB. We don't get that with Ziggy so much. Plus as someone else mentioned, other teams have been able to run on the Steelers since Smith has been out and when he is in they get nowhere because he collapses the pocket and forces the runs into the LBs.

steeltheone
12-28-2010, 07:39 PM
He might have been 3 years ago...No Longer...I said the minute he got hurt we would not miss him at all, and we haven't......Stats don't lie, he has played maybe 10 games in 2 years and the D has been awesome against the rush in his absence. He only averaged 3 or 4 sacks a year in his younger days. Don't tell me he has pass rush at 35.

I'll take Ziggy and the 1.6 mill he makes over a 35 year old making 6.8 mill any day. We need that money for younger players.

steeltheone
12-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Smith is the best by far. If they didn't double him he would be in the QB's face on every single play. That opens it up for Harrison and Woodley to terrorize the QB. We don't get that with Ziggy so much. Plus as someone else mentioned, other teams have been able to run on the Steelers since Smith has been out and when he is in they get nowhere because he collapses the pocket and forces the runs into the LBs.

2007..... Smith ... 11 games 89.9 yds per game average
2008......Smith .....16 games 80.2
2009......Smith.......5 games 89.9
2010......Smith ......7 games 64.1

Wow we really missed 6 million setting on the IR

kirklandrules
12-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Correlation does not prove causation. The 64.1 yards this year may have more to do with the maturation of Timmons than it does Smith being out. I like Ziggy and think he's done a great job this year. But it will be nice to have Smith back to provide additional (and outstanding) depth to the D-line. Saying you don't care if Smith comes back is like saying one stripper is better than 2 :willy:

lionslicer
12-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Smith has more to do with the passing game than the running game... any of the defensive linemen has to be double teamed in the run game, but Smith has to be doubled in the pass game. I say look at the seasons passing average with and without Smith.

steeltheone
12-28-2010, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=kirklandrules;885802]Correlation does not prove causation. The 64.1 yards this year may have more to do with the maturation of Timmons than it does Smith being out. I like Ziggy and think he's done a great job this year. But it will be nice to have Smith back to provide additional (and outstanding) depth to the D-line. Saying you don't care if Smith comes back is like saying one stripper is better than 2 :willy:[/QUOTE

I do like the fact that we now have depth.....im not trying to imply he is no good.....Just not 6 mill good at 35.

Rotorhead
12-29-2010, 01:16 AM
He is one of the TOP DL in the game. If you have to dbl team block any one lineman that is one less blocker available to block our blitzes. He will be the deciding factor against the pats.

Whodis
12-29-2010, 06:51 AM
[
I do like the fact that we now have depth.....im not trying to imply he is no good.....Just not 6 mill good at 35.

You go back to the same stats very time you slam Smith

Do you watch the games :noidea:

Your post are so off the wall that I had a discussion with another fan asking the question of wether I look at the guy through rose colored glasses.

the fact is, Smith is better then Hood. Is he 6 million good? I'm not in the locker room, but I can tell you from what i read the defensive players can't wait to get him back. The fact is you call him overrated because he's hurt. So is Polamalu overrated?

You want to bitch about money go start a thread about how much Moore, Randel El and a couple other slugs make.

grward
12-29-2010, 09:21 AM

I would love to compare stats for Woodley, Timmons and Harrison w/ and w/out Smith in the game. I think that's the true story here. Their performance drops off IMO when Smith can't play. Simple reason is b/c the opposing offense doesn't need to double team Smith leaving an extra hat to target Woodley, Timmons, and Harrison. You love stats, how 'bout researching that part of the story.

mesaSteeler
12-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Updating Aaron Smith's progress
December, 29, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/22436/updating-aaron-smiths-progress
3:30
PM ET

By James Walker
Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin offered some good news Wednesday on the rehabilitation of injured defensive end Aaron Smith.

Smith
The 12-year veteran, who had triceps surgery in October, has missed the past two months and is trying to make it back in time for the playoffs.

"He had a big workout this morning," Tomlin said on a conference call with the Cleveland media. "We fitted him for a brace, and that's arrived. And as soon as he gets medical clearance he's going to start the practice process, then, of course, ultimately to play.

"But his rehabilitation has been positive. It hasn't been any steps backwards. In fact, we've been pretty enthused and encouraged about his development."

No setbacks is good news for the Steelers. Smith is one of the NFL's most underrated players and a stalwart in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense. Pittsburgh held a roster spot open all year for Smith in hopes that he could return in time to help with the team's postseason run.

The Steelers have a chance to clinch the AFC North division and a first-round bye Sunday with a victory over the Cleveland Browns. A win would give the Steelers two weeks to get key players such as Smith and Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles) healthy.

steeltheone
12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
I would love to compare stats for Woodley, Timmons and Harrison w/ and w/out Smith in the game. I think that's the true story here. Their performance drops off IMO when Smith can't play. Simple reason is b/c the opposing offense doesn't need to double team Smith leaving an extra hat to target Woodley, Timmons, and Harrison. You love stats, how 'bout researching that part of the story.

So if he is so hard to block where are his sacks? Rumor has it..... it takes 2 guys to block Hampton.... so if it takes 2 guys to block Smith that does not leave many blockers left...Wow!

steeltheone
12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
He is one of the TOP DL in the game. If you have to dbl team block any one lineman that is one less blocker available to block our blitzes. He will be the deciding factor against the pats.

A 35 year old slow DE the deciding factor against The Patriots? That is just rediculous...These are the posts that lead me to say he is overrated.

lionslicer
12-29-2010, 10:43 PM
So if he is so hard to block where are his sacks? Rumor has it..... it takes 2 guys to block Hampton.... so if it takes 2 guys to block Smith that does not leave many blockers left...Wow!

Hampton only plays like 20-25 snaps a game, while Smith will play 70. He plays nose tackle a lot if you ever pay attention. He takes up 2-3 guys on passing downs, and he does get pressure, problem is, as you said in another post, he's very slow, he can't even catch Tom Brady, who couldn't out run a worm.

He's a key player in the defense, way better than most 3-4 ends. But there are a couple better than him, namely Seymour and that one guy from the Ravens, idk his name.

I don't think he's overrated, but it would be nice to find someone as dominant as him, because Hood isn't dominant at all, he wasn't even that great in college.

steeltheone
12-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Hampton only plays like 20-25 snaps a game, while Smith will play 70. He plays nose tackle a lot if you ever pay attention. He takes up 2-3 guys on passing downs, and he does get pressure, problem is, as you said in another post, he's very slow, he can't even catch Tom Brady, who couldn't out run a worm.

He's a key player in the defense, way better than most 3-4 ends. But there are a couple better than him, namely Seymour and that one guy from the Ravens, idk his name.

I don't think he's overrated, but it would be nice to find someone as dominant as him, because Hood isn't dominant at all, he wasn't even that great in college.

But if we lose a DOMINATE player ( Smith) and we keep winning and Defense remains number 1, is he dominate? Yank Troy out for 10 games once..That would prove dominance.

BTW I think Ziggy has done fine. I am disappointed he has not had more sacks.

lionslicer
12-29-2010, 10:59 PM
But if we lose a DOMINATE player ( Smith) and we keep winning and Defense remains number 1, is he dominate? Yank Troy out for 10 games once..That would prove dominance.

The passing defense has suffered since he left, and this is not a number 1 defense by far... The run defense is just so dominant that it makes the numbers better. Tampa Bay did the same in 2002, they had such a dominant pass defense, no one noticed that they had a medicore run defense.

Smith even though he isn't great anymore, was gameplanned against. They wouldn't run to that side as much. They'd do more outside runs to get away from him, but into the arms of Troy or Woodley. Smith will help this year, I'm not saying if he retires after this year the defense will get bad. I'm just saying the system was built to have him playing that position, not Hood. If LeBeau or whoever the DC is had an offseason to prepare for a new player, the system will adapt with that, but right now its kind of off without a key piece/

Whodis
12-30-2010, 08:08 AM

If we lose TP, keep winning and remain a top defense does that mean he's not dominate?

You talk out both ends. Wasn't Troy out a good part of last year and our defense still ranked high (according to your stats)?

Obviously if Hood isn't getting sacks he must be overrated:hatsoff:

Mesa: good to hear Smith is coming along:tt04:

Rotorhead
12-30-2010, 09:14 AM
HaHa shows what you know about our def, our line is not intended to get pressure and sacks. They are there to clog lanes and take up blockers so our LB's can get the sacks. Smith is a top guy at that as well as collapsing the pocket. And honestly why do you think our coaching staff held a roster spot open, even after all the Oline issues for him if he is so bad?

steeltheone
12-30-2010, 11:39 AM
HaHa shows what you know about our def, our line is not intended to get pressure and sacks. They are there to clog lanes and take up blockers so our LB's can get the sacks. Smith is a top guy at that as well as collapsing the pocket. And honestly why do you think our coaching staff held a roster spot open, even after all the Oline issues for him if he is so bad?

I don't think Smith is so bad, just overrated esp at 6.8 mill

Just to even compare a 35 year old slow players absence with Troy's absence is an insult to Troy.

Hood is a disappointment because he was a number 1 pick. But again i'll take his 1.9 mill production over Smith at 6.8 any day of the week. We need that for other players.

finesward
12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
We get it, you don't like paying aaron smith his salary...and can you throw a link to where he is making 6.8 mil this season? Rotoworld has him down for 5. :noidea:

He's CONSISTENTLY been hands down the best defensive lineman on a top 5 D for what almost a century now? And your upset because we rewarded him with a nice contract? Doesn't that give the young guys like hood the motivation to stay loyal to this team, work hard, and then get your payday? Farrior, Ward, Harrison, Hampton...All these vets that are leaders on this team that were rewarded are the reason we have been so successful. You look at how the front office rewards the guys that haven't complained, worked hard, and especially helped make the transition from cowher to tomlin seamless...they have been given contracts which many of them wouldn't have gotten on other teams. You look at the loyalty they have shown smith this year by keeping the roster spot open for him. He is a crucial part of this team, who cares what he makes? We let Woodson go because we didn't want to pay him and I think that bit us in the ass, we haven't made that same mistake since...

Whodis
12-30-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't think Smith is so bad, just overrated esp at 6.8 mill

Just to even compare a 35 year old slow players absence with Troy's absence is an insult to Troy.

Hood is a disappointment because he was a number 1 pick. But again i'll take his 1.9 mill production over Smith at 6.8 any day of the week. We need that for other players.

Your aragument is so ignorant and the fact you can't point out anything other then salary makes any kind of debate pointless.

He's CONSISTENTLY been hands down the best defensive lineman on a top 5 D for what almost a century now? And your upset because we rewarded him with a nice contract?

well said:thumbsup:

The fact that your disappointed in Hood is comical and brings to light that you have no clue how a 3-4 defense works. I suggest you watch the games a little closer instead of just watching highlights.

FanSince72
12-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I think Aaron Smith is easily a player who can be referred to as a game-changer.

If you only look at what he does on a play by play basis, you might not agree. But if you look at what he allows others to do, that's when the description clicks. Smith has had his share of sacks and forced fumbles and all the other stuff associated with great D-linemen, but his play is most valuable in that he allows guys like Woodley, Harrison and Farrior to do what THEY do best by forcing offenses to account for him.

Smith routinely ties up at least the guard and the tackle on most plays and that forces teams to either have tight ends and backs "stay home" to help against Smith (which reduces their potential receivers) or if they let them go, they're forced to rush their plays because Smith creates openings for Woodley and Harrison and others to exploit.

Troy plays like a "12th man" by using his speed and quickness and he's great in that regard. But Smith is "there" on every single play and his presence isn't so much "12th man" as it is "extra lineman" because he always draws two, sometimes three blockers and that wreaks havoc with offenses.

Smith may not ever be a spectacular "stats" player, but he's worth every penny he's paid and more when it comes to allowing the rest of the D to do what they do best.

steeltheone
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Your aragument is so ignorant and the fact you can't point out anything other then salary makes any kind of debate pointless.

well said:thumbsup:

The fact that your disappointed in Hood is comical and brings to light that you have no clue how a 3-4 defense works. I suggest you watch the games a little closer instead of just watching highlights.

I have based my point on facts...Fact we are the same Defense with or without Smith on statistics and wins...We are 11-4 with EASON AND HOOD

Fact ...35 year old players are not as good as they were 5 years ago.
Fact.....Hamptons big Steeler Homer myth is he takes two blockers to block him. ( you all know you have heard this) So again if Smith takes two blockers we should beat everybody.

FACT...Some of you are still comparing his importance to Troy. Just nuts..Troy single handedly beat two teams on his own

steeltheone
12-30-2010, 05:01 PM
We get it, you don't like paying aaron smith his salary...and can you throw a link to where he is making 6.8 mil this season? Rotoworld has him down for 5. :noidea:

He's CONSISTENTLY been hands down the best defensive lineman on a top 5 D for what almost a century now? And your upset because we rewarded him with a nice contract? Doesn't that give the young guys like hood the motivation to stay loyal to this team, work hard, and then get your payday? Farrior, Ward, Harrison, Hampton...All these vets that are leaders on this team that were rewarded are the reason we have been so successful. You look at how the front office rewards the guys that haven't complained, worked hard, and especially helped make the transition from cowher to tomlin seamless...they have been given contracts which many of them wouldn't have gotten on other teams. You look at the loyalty they have shown smith this year by keeping the roster spot open for him. He is a crucial part of this team, who cares what he makes? We let Woodson go because we didn't want to pay him and I think that bit us in the ass, we haven't made that same mistake since...
You must be a new Steeler fan.....One of the biggest reasons we have stayed on top is getting rid of players before their decline. Gildon, Porter, Greene, Lloyd, Haggens, Lake,Perry,Kirkland come to mind. They all could still play but the best was behind them. We have failed to do that recently. . Older players also command more salary which in turn limits your ability to sign other players. We are now stuck with a bunch of older players who need replaced at once. I would take Ziggys 1.9 To Smiths 6.8 because the production is not 5x better.

Shea
12-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow.

It's sad that Aaron doesn't get the recognition he deserves throughout the league, but I always figured that atleast the Steeler fans knew.

Pathetic.

pete74
12-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 end to ever play the game

fer522
12-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 end to ever play the game

say no more
now close this topic

STEEL-MAN
12-30-2010, 11:12 PM
3.8 and 900 lbs? :applaudit: anywho let me get back to the grid :coffee:

STEEL-MAN
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Aaron plays an unsong position, been solid for years and years.....However, Mr Hood may redefine the position! I think Hood has a chance to take it out a :coffee:new door

STEEL-MAN
12-30-2010, 11:28 PM

70' s, stats did n mean shit when it came to games guys just showed up and played:coffee: took what was there and left the rest!!!!!!!!!!!

no way anyone can play forever, remember when Lambert left, turf toe injury,,,, Terry shoulder,,,, Joe,,, MR White, Swan the list is long..............

I remember playing my last sand lot game, (ILB) broke a guys arm and someones nose on two different running plays.
we had a good day that day we all played the game! I grew up in Somerset PA and I love the Steelers then and now my point is the game isnt what it was and Mr Goodell could careless But the Steelers still want to play with passion!

steeltheone
12-31-2010, 12:02 AM
70' s, stats did n mean shit when it came to games guys just showed up and played:coffee: took what was there and left the rest!!!!!!!!!!!

no way anyone can play forever, remember when Lambert left, turf toe injury,,,, Terry shoulder,,,, Joe,,, MR White, Swan the list is long..............

I remember playing my last sand lot, broke a guys arm and a nose on two different runners
we had a good day that day we all played the game and dreamed we could be pros never happened just dreamed! I love the Steelers because they play with a dream, passion for a game battle glory Just hope Mr Goodell remembers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the hell are you talking about?

STEEL-MAN
12-31-2010, 12:30 AM
What the hell are you talking about?

it's time to show up, some guys are all pros some are average but in the playoff's to win everyone has to take the game to a whole new level, regular season stats wins numbers don't mean as much as they did in the regular season MR Smith may or may not be ready but the Steelers still have to play im saying Steelers need to take their game to the next level with the people they have to win the SB it is not going to be easy that is all!!!!!! guess u don't see what im saying:coffee::tt04:

fer522
12-31-2010, 08:59 AM
70' s, stats did n mean shit when it came to games guys just showed up and played took what was there and left the rest!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember playing my last sand lot game, (ILB) broke a guys arm and someones nose on two different running plays.
we had a good day that day we all played the game! I grew up in Somerset PA and I love the Steelers then and now my point is the game isnt what it was and Mr Goodell could careless But the Steelers still want to play with passion!

huh!!!!!!!!!:screwy:

finesward
12-31-2010, 04:27 PM
You must be a new Steeler fan.....One of the biggest reasons we have stayed on top is getting rid of players before their decline. Gildon, Porter, Greene, Lloyd, Haggens, Lake,Perry,Kirkland come to mind. They all could still play but the best was behind them. We have failed to do that recently. . Older players also command more salary which in turn limits your ability to sign other players. We are now stuck with a bunch of older players who need replaced at once. I would take Ziggys 1.9 To Smiths 6.8 because the production is not 5x better.

And how many superbowls did we win when we let those players go? Only reason we let haggans and porter go was because there were BEASTS waiting in turn behind them, and we had already given them pretty fat contracts...Smith never really got his due until his most recent contract, and even though he hasn't stayed as healthy as he was 5 years ago, when he is I haven't noticed a significant drop in his play. He straight up mauls people, does ziggy do that? Again, please show a link to where you see his pay is 6.8 this year. I'm still waiting.

There is a lot more to team chemistry than just managing player salaries. You have to show loyalty to your vets to expect them to show loyalty to you.

As for the ability to sign other players... if you show by giving vets like ward, farrior, hampton, smith..etc. contracts late in their careers it allows younger guys to be patient when it comes to getting theirs. Also players don't want to leave pittsburgh. They know they have a legit shot to get to the superbowl with this team, and most have played their entire careers here. I would be speculative to say the vets in their final contracts would be willing to take a paycut to stay on the team, especially if their roles are being reduced.

I don't think we are that old to be honest. Sure D-line needs some immediate attention in the draft the next couple of years and CB needs to be addressed, but we are set at LB for a while, set at QB, RB, WR. The rest we have shown we can just plug guys in and still win. A couple more good drafts and there shouldn't be much of a drop off in a cpl years when a lot of the starters are gone.

steelerchad
12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
And how many superbowls did we win when we let those players go? Only reason we let haggans and porter go was because there were BEASTS waiting in turn behind them, and we had already given them pretty fat contracts...Smith never really got his due until his most recent contract, and even though he hasn't stayed as healthy as he was 5 years ago, when he is I haven't noticed a significant drop in his play. He straight up mauls people, does ziggy do that? Again, please show a link to where you see his pay is 6.8 this year. I'm still waiting.

There is a lot more to team chemistry than just managing player salaries. You have to show loyalty to your vets to expect them to show loyalty to you.

As for the ability to sign other players... if you show by giving vets like ward, farrior, hampton, smith..etc. contracts late in their careers it allows younger guys to be patient when it comes to getting theirs. Also players don't want to leave pittsburgh. They know they have a legit shot to get to the superbowl with this team, and most have played their entire careers here. I would be speculative to say the vets in their final contracts would be willing to take a paycut to stay on the team, especially if their roles are being reduced.

I don't think we are that old to be honest. Sure D-line needs some immediate attention in the draft the next couple of years and CB needs to be addressed, but we are set at LB for a while, set at QB, RB, WR. The rest we have shown we can just plug guys in and still win. A couple more good drafts and there shouldn't be much of a drop off in a cpl years when a lot of the starters are gone.

We are the oldest defense in the league. The only starters that could still be there in 4 years are Timmons, Woodley, McFadden. Troy and Ike maybe.

finesward
12-31-2010, 06:24 PM
That's 4 years to groom an ILB, NT, a DE, 2 CB's, and a safety. 6 positions of need within 4 years is doable. We have some prospects at CB with Butler and Lewis. A prospect @ ILB with Sylvestor (and Fox as a capable holdover) NT needs to be addressed this year in the draft as well as another DE prospect. Worthington would of been nice to hold onto but he is now on the TB roster. Safety needs to be addressed in the draft before Ryan Clark leaves which I think he still has a couple more years left.

We are lucky because the D line really just needs to be run stoppers and be physical which we have usually found in the later rounds of the draft. (smith 4th round, keisel 7th round, hoke undrafted, eason 4th round) Finding a stud NT that can step in right away would be worth waiting for a year or two as I think hampton has a couple years left in the tank.

So saying some of those prospects pan out we are still not in panic mode and shouldn't be THAT concerned with age right now. We are still a top defense with the two critical parts in place (polamalu and timmons) for the next 4 years.

Our D is much older than our O which is very young in comparison. All the skill positions we are pretty much set. As a whole I think this team should be staying in contention for the foreseeable future. But maybe I'm just a homer :chuckle:

TRH
12-31-2010, 08:26 PM
We are the oldest defense in the league. The only starters that could still be there in 4 years are Timmons, Woodley, McFadden. Troy and Ike maybe.

I'm fine with letting some of the older guys go this off-season as well. Take someone like Farrior for example. He had a great year this year, but next year, what, i think he's going to be 36?
It's painful....but you gotta do it.

finesward
12-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Could of said the same thing about farrior last year, when he didn't have such a great season. Had we let him go then it would of been foolish seeing how well he has rebounded. Until someone shows they are better than him (timmons w/ foote) he keeps his job. It's quite simple.

mesaSteeler
12-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Could of said the same thing about farrior last year, when he didn't have such a great season. Had we let him go then it would of been foolish seeing how well he has rebounded. Until someone shows they are better than him (timmons w/ foote) he keeps his job. It's quite simple.

I wish it were that simple but players can age real fast. Also older players are more injury prone and take longer to recover. Letting go of players is an art and the Steelers are pretty good at it. There will always be players we should of kept just as there are always players we should have let go sooner.

finesward
01-01-2011, 07:05 AM
I would love to see farrior in a charlie batch/larry foote role next year if his play significantly drops, but unless he get's beat out you have to give him a hat. The guy is the unquestioned leader in that locker room and especially for that defense. He's been the QB to a defense that has consistently been top 5 in the league. That's not easily replaced and would demand a roster spot, even if he is used just for depth ala batch/foote

steelerdave1969
01-01-2011, 07:31 AM
I believe Farrior is fine, if you cant see what he means to this defense then your blind. As for Aaron Smith . . didnt anyone notice how Lawrence Timmons Tackles went down some after he got injured? . . I sure do and I look forward to the man coming back.

finesward
01-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Great observation...lets look at the stats shall we?

With Aaron Smith:

Total tackles
Wk
1 - 11
2 - 15
3 - 7
4 - 15
6 - 11
7 - 3
8 - 12

Without Aaron Smith
Wk
9 - 4
10- 7
11- 4
12- 8
13- 6
14- 5
15- 13
16- 5

Pretty easy to see the drop off

Whodis
01-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Great observation...lets look at the stats shall we?

With Aaron Smith:

Total tackles
Wk
1 - 11
2 - 15
3 - 7
4 - 15
6 - 11
7 - 3
8 - 12

Without Aaron Smith
Wk
9 - 4
10- 7
11- 4
12- 8
13- 6
14- 5
15- 13
16- 5

Pretty easy to see the drop off

:yikes: But he's 35 years old and makes a lot of money :rofl:

fer522
01-01-2011, 10:09 AM
what a few of guys here still dont get its the fact that HE makes everybody arround him better :noidea:

finesward
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/One-On-One---Aaron-Smith/44f192e4-a660-4be3-a4ff-ba22a3f9bf43#?id=44f192e4-a660-4be3-a4ff-ba22a3f9bf43

news!

Merchant
01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/One-On-One---Aaron-Smith/44f192e4-a660-4be3-a4ff-ba22a3f9bf43#?id=44f192e4-a660-4be3-a4ff-ba22a3f9bf43

news!

Still didn't really answer much lol.

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2011, 06:45 PM
so i take it that its not a definite he'll be playing the next game ? it sure would suck to have cut gibson for no reason....:doh:

steeltheone
01-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Fewest yards allowed rushing against in the NFL...And Most Sacks in the NFL The Defense did not miss a beat without Smith.

lionslicer
01-04-2011, 10:38 PM
so i take it that its not a definite he'll be playing the next game ? it sure would suck to have cut gibson for no reason....:doh:

It would suck if he actually ment something to the team within the near future and not 4 years down the road.

But seriously, thats a draft pick wasted if Smith doesn't play

StainlessStill
01-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Fewest yards allowed rushing against in the NFL...And Most Sacks in the NFL The Defense did not miss a beat without Smith.

I don't think you're really getting the point when it comes to quarterback hurries and quarterback pressures. Smith's whereabouts and the ability to plug 2 gaps at once is his forte', but his penetration skills and his beastly stature when it comes to hurrying the QB out of the pocket is underrated. Our defense is built to stop the run first and we did a good job of that, but those numbers would be even MORE slim (look at the numbers above) if Smith would of been healthy and played.

The way offense's attack us with #91 to be accounted for in the lineup is something you might want to take a closer look at.

Fire Arians
01-04-2011, 11:46 PM
It would suck if he actually ment something to the team within the near future and not 4 years down the road.

But seriously, thats a draft pick wasted if Smith doesn't play

my thoughts exactly. and the AFC championship doesn't cut it, he better be ready to play in rd 2.

steeltheone
01-05-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't think you're really getting the point when it comes to quarterback hurries and quarterback pressures. Smith's whereabouts and the ability to plug 2 gaps at once is his forte', but his penetration skills and his beastly stature when it comes to hurrying the QB out of the pocket is underrated. Our defense is built to stop the run first and we did a good job of that, but those numbers would be even MORE slim (look at the numbers above) if Smith would of been healthy and played.

The way offense's attack us with #91 to be accounted for in the lineup is something you might want to take a closer look at.

How do you get better than the lowest rushing against yards since the 1940's? And i just knew rushing the passer would come up. If he gets 4 sacks a year he is lucky. He is SLOW. His plugging two gaps must be one of myth. We led the NFL in sacks without him.

scsteeler
01-05-2011, 01:44 AM

Damn if he is running that fast he should be RB/WR/KR/DB. :rofl::rofl:

steelers33
01-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Yah guys, I think Smith's presence takes our defense over the top. In 2008 when we had Smith full season, our defense was scary good. And look at the beginning of this year, our defense carried our team to a 3-1 start with us using 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks. No doubt, our defense has been very good this year, Hood has progressed nicely and he'll be a starter for us for years to come, but I would even be more estatic about our Super Bowl chances if Smith plays. Plus we could still use Ziggy on passing downs in the playoffs replacing Casey. Hood, Smith, Kiesel, Woodley, Harrison rushing- that easily be the best pass rush in the playoffs.

steelers33
01-05-2011, 02:54 AM
I actually just went on rotoworls to check any news, and the blogger there; says Smith is facing " Long Odds" to play in the divisional round, what a bummer.

TRH
01-05-2011, 08:09 AM
i'm starting to have my doubts whether he'll be able to play in any playoff game, and if we end up making it to the SB, i don't even know if he'd be able to go then either, just looking at the injury and the heal alone.

pete74
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
if he cant play in our 1st playoff game then the gamble of keeping him off IR was mistake

steeltheone
01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
It won't be a big mistake unless that rookie we cut to keep him there turns out to be a player. I don't deny having Smith will help our rotation!

steelerchad
01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Question about Smith's roster spot. If Gibson being a rookie was expendable for this year, couldn't he have sustained a mysterious injury in practice and been placed on IR? Thus, freeing up an empty roster spot. And reserving him for future service next year.

finesward
01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
It won't be a big mistake unless that rookie we cut to keep him there turns out to be a player. I don't deny having Smith will help our rotation!

How would it help anything? We were #1 against the run and led the NFL in sacks remember?

steeltheone
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I by no means want Ziggy benched. But Smith would be a welcome sight for depth and breaks. He is still being paid.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I by no means want Ziggy benched. But Smith would be a welcome sight for depth and breaks. He is still being paid.

Not to mention the team unity and "inspiration factor" he would provide to our defense.

Ziggy has been adequate in relief so far, and may be starting to "get it" now, but Smith is still the best LE we have by leaps and bounds. The numbers posted above clearly demonstrate that-- without Smith, we are a dominant defense, and with Smith, our defense is elite.

By the way, is that you STEEL-THE-ONE (from CBS)? It's me, SteelPlatoon.....

Hows it going, buddy? Have a happy holidays? Good seeing ya around.

Is that religious debate FSM thread thread still going on over at CBS? I ducked out of it-- seems like a good way to make enemies among my fellow Steelers fans, and doesn't really accomplish much else as far as I can tell....

STEELERuleS
01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
New to the site, so welcome all. I've been reading this thread and thought I'd chime in on the discussion. I have been in total favor of keeping Smith off the IR. Aaron Smith from ESPN blogged today that "Smith put the pads on for the first time in two months, which is a very good sign for Pittsburgh. With its playoff game still 10 days away, things look promising." There is hope my friends!
Our defense has had a great year, were resting for the playoff run and Ziggy Hood has played well. I think this injury is a blessing in disguise for the future. Hood will continue to get better and "if" Smith is ready to come back for the playoffs, I believe our odds of winning the seventh Lombardi get better!!!

GO STEELERS...:steelersflag:

STS...:grin:

pete74
01-05-2011, 04:45 PM
New to the site, so welcome all. I've been reading this thread and thought I'd chime in on the discussion. I have been in total favor of keeping Smith off the IR. Aaron Smith from ESPN blogged today that "Smith put the pads on for the first time in two months, which is a very good sign for Pittsburgh. With its playoff game still 10 days away, things look promising." There is hope my friends!
Our defense has had a great year, were resting for the playoff run and Ziggy Hood has played well. I think this injury is a blessing in disguise for the future. Hood will continue to get better and "if" Smith is ready to come back for the playoffs, I believe our odds of winning the seventh Lombardi get better!!!

GO STEELERS...:steelersflag:

STS...:grin:

agreed. if smith was healthy hood wouldnt of had a full year of starting under his belt. obviously i would feel different if hood hadnt played well but he did and should come back next season even better. with that said i really hope smith can play but im almost positive it wont happen.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2011, 07:09 AM
This P-G story this morning appears to be setting up Aaron Smith not returning this season - some gambles works out, some do not - Steelers apparently waived a 4th round pick in return for boosting morale with a long shot hope a lineman in his mid-30s with a growing history of upper arm injuries would be a quick healer -guess again

There still are many questions and concerns from all involved -- his teammates, coaches, the organization, even the 6-foot-5, 300-pound defensive end himself -- about whether he can return any time before the Super Bowl, should the Steelers make it that far.

This much is known: Smith will not play when the Steelers open the postseason Jan. 15 in a divisional playoff game at Heinz Field. The earliest he will return is if the Steelers advance to the AFC championship game Jan. 23, though even that possibility is uncertain at this time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11006/1115954-66.stm

Aaron Smith has been a great Steeler but at some point it is time to look forward rather than look back

PhantomJB93
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Any updates? Has he been ruled out, questionable, probable? I haven't seen ANY news about him in the media, hell they talked about Memo being back but didnt even mention Smith's status...

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
well that's a real pisser.... tomlin better hope gibson doesn't pan out ....:doh: