PDA

View Full Version : Stay off this ride

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2006, 03:20 PM
'Mission: Space' Reopens After Rider's Death
Thursday, April 13, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. ? Walt Disney World reopened its "Mission: Space" attraction Thursday, a day after a woman who became ill after leaving the ride died at a hospital.

It was the second death in less than a year related to the Epcot Center ride, which spins riders in a centrifuge that subjects them to twice the normal force of gravity. It is considered so intense it has motion sickness bags and signs warning people with heart, back and neck problems not to board it.

The 49-year-old woman who died Wednesday had reported dizziness and nausea after stepping off the ride on Tuesday, Disney officials said.

Disney told state officials that the woman, who was not identified, may have had high blood pressure and other unspecified health problems.

"Walt Disney World engineers and ride system experts completed a thorough inspection of the attraction overnight and found it to be operating properly," the theme park said Thursday in announcing the reopening of the ride.

A worker from the state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection monitored the testing and said the ride didn't appear "to be acting abnormal in any way," said Terence McElroy, a spokesman for Florida's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, which oversees the bureau.

The $100 million ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was also closed in June after the death of a 4-year-old boy who passed out while aboard. An autopsy concluded he died of a heart condition that a medical examiner said can cause sudden death in stressful situations.

Suitanim
04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Absolutely not...it's one of the best rides in Central Florida, and there are a LOT of great rides in Orlando.

In fact, this news makes me want to ride it again (I've been on Mission: Space about 15 times).

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2006, 03:22 PM
lol, ok. Two deaths in one year. I'm still trying to figure out why it was "reopened"? I think I will take my chances at Kennywood.

Suitanim
04-13-2006, 03:26 PM
lol, ok. Two deaths in one year. I'm still trying to figure out why it was "reopened"? I think I will take my chances at Kennywood.

It's an EXTREMELY intense ride...you spin around on a centrifuge at about 30 MPH. The thing is, they warn you about the intensity about 400 times before you actually get on it, so if you have health problems and still ride the thing....

BlackNGold203
04-13-2006, 03:44 PM
It's an EXTREMELY intense ride...you spin around on a centrifuge at about 30 MPH. The thing is, they warn you about the intensity about 400 times before you actually get on it, so if you have health problems and still ride the thing....

Agreed...people dont pay attention to the warnings..and ride anyways...

Not to ba an ass...but people have to take personal accountability for these things...they were warned..they did it anyways....

melroseplace
04-13-2006, 03:56 PM
is that the ride that's inside the big Epcot ball?

3 to be 4
04-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Agreed...people dont pay attention to the warnings..and ride anyways...

Not to ba an ass...but people have to take personal accountability for these things...they were warned..they did it anyways....

"They bought their tickets. They knew the risks. I say, let 'em crash."

- "Airplane" 1980

Suitanim
04-14-2006, 09:07 AM
is that the ride that's inside the big Epcot ball?

No, that's "Spaceship Earth", and it is a really slow moving ride.

Here's some info.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/epfw-mission.htm

clevestinks
04-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Damn, no Ill stay on the Dodge Em cars. LOL