PDA

View Full Version : Steelers who got the Pro Bowl snub (Timmons)

tony hipchest
12-28-2010, 07:33 PM
yeah "the pro bowl sucks" and "the steelers wont be playing in it anyways" :blah: yada yada yada...

but we have a thread talking about those who made it. heres a thread to discuss the steelers who were snubbed. i think timmons snub is one of the worst in the entire league.

jarod mayo got it for nothing more than being on the team with the best record and doing nothing more than piling on and padding assist and tackle stats.

mayo- 1 sack. timmons-3
mayo- 0 passes defended. timmons-11
mayo- 0 int. timmons 2
mayo- 1 forced fumbles. timmons- 1
mayo- 3 fumble recoveries. timons- 2

timmons is the troy polamalu of linebackers on the best defense in the league.

mayo is ??? on a defense that is statistically in the bottom hald of the league.

:hunch:

4 patriot defenders made it. only 2 steelers. :doh:

im beginning to believe the pro bowl is the consolation prize for all the teams with the best record who lose the SB or never even make it.

Merchant
12-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I thought Ike Taylor had a very good season. Can't really argue against Revis and Asamoghua though.

kirklandrules
12-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, Mayo is average and Timmons has been a beast. Timmons has made a great impact this year. The snub I see is more of the league snubbing the entire Steelers organization than specific to an individual. The fines, the penalties (or lack there of) and going all the way back to forcing the brothers to sell their shares. Guess the NFL has decided a level playing field would just lead to more Lombardi trophies in the 'Burgh.

lionslicer
12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Doesn't Mayo almost have like 170 tackes? He averages more than 10 tackles a game..

The point I'm making is he's in on a lot of plays, so people notice him more than Timmons, who has gone games with only like 3 or 4 tackles.

tony hipchest
12-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Doesn't Mayo almost have like 170 tackes? He averages more than 10 tackles a game..

The point I'm making is he's in on a lot of plays, so people notice him more than Timmons, who has gone games with only like 3 or 4 tackles.

mayo- 110 solo/59 assists
timmons 87 solo/39 assists

basically mayo is a "pile on" guy who doesnt drop into coverage. their pass defense is 30th in the league. their rush defense is around 16th. 12 teams have a better scoring defense.

thats great he makes tackles 10 yards down field. someone has to. too bad nfl.com stats dont show tackles for loss. timmons blows him away there as well.

lionslicer
12-28-2010, 08:37 PM
mayo- 110 solo/59 assists
timmons 87 solo/39 assists

basically mayo is a "pile on" guy who doesnt drop into coverage. their pass defense is 30th in the league. their rush defense is around 16th. 12 teams have a better scoring defense.

thats great he makes tackles 10 yards down field. someone has to. too bad nfl.com stats dont show tackles for loss. timmons blows him away there as well.

He does drop into coverage.. just he's terrible at it. They play a cover 2 3-4, he never blitzes, he's usually 10-25 yards down the field in a zone. I've seen NFL.com tear him up on it before the Patriots beat the steelers, since then he's been a lot better at it, they're defense in general has been a lot better. So there's a chance he's gotten his votes in the past 5 games. Remember the voting system is rigged so fan votes only count for a 3rd, players, coaches and analysts make votes too, so he must be catching some professionals eyes with what he's doing.
He's probably making a lot of special touchdown saving tackles.

TRH
12-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Problem with Timmons is that he plays great for 2 games, then virtually disappears the next game..and so on. With Harrison, Woodley and even Farrior getting the majority of media coverage, coupled with other teams star players, Timmons gets somewhat lost in the shuffle when you're talking all of the NFL. If he would be slightly more consistent, i think he might get the notoriety.
We see it here in Pittsburgh.....but as a whole on a nation-wide level, awareness of Timmons is a bit below the radar.
Congrats to Pouncey!! Thats awesome...what a good feeling as a rookie and at C, nonetheless...not exactly a high-profile position

tony hipchest
12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
He does drop into coverage.. just he's terrible at it. They play a cover 2 3-4, he never blitzes, he's usually 10-25 yards down the field in a zone.

i'll give you this...

on passing downs he WILL drop back into a zone (pretty much doing what every linebacker does). he also doesnt rush the passer because he sucks at it as well.

he's a pad the stat tackle guy (its not like their cb's are gonna tackle anyone).

timmons acually covers TE's RB's and even WR's. he also blitzes frequently.

FWIW timmons stats are better than ray lewis' as well.

TRH
12-28-2010, 08:54 PM
FWIW timmons stats are better than ray lewis' as well.[/QUOTE]

Sure are. But the Pro Bowl is basically a popularity contest and Ray Lewis dwarfs Timmons in that dept.

lionslicer
12-28-2010, 09:05 PM
i'll give you this...

on passing downs he WILL drop back into a zone (pretty much doing what every linebacker does). he also doesnt rush the passer because he sucks at it as well.

he's a pad the stat tackle guy (its not like their cb's are gonna tackle anyone).

timmons acually covers TE's RB's and even WR's. he also blitzes frequently.

FWIW timmons stats are better than ray lewis' as well.

Not many middle linebackers can blitz. Timmons was an outside linebacker in college, but he played like Derrick Brooks, who was also not a great blitzer

(Timmons has so many sacks because of his speed, his rush moves aren't very good, he can't spin/swim/club/anything usefull once he's caught in a block)

Ray Lewis, best of the best isn't that great of a blitzer, he's known for everything but that. But Ray just makes that defense better when he's there, and its not because what he does during play, its what he does before the play begins. He makes the audibles and adjustments for that defense to do what it does. He's like the Peyton Manning of defenses.

I really haven't paid attention to Mayo, he may be very good. Everyone hates the patriots, so I doubt he's leading in votes because they're a good team. Maybe analysts drool over them enough to give him the votes he needs.

uclkyle
12-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Actually, I thought the snub of James Farrior was almost worse. James is having another great season. Mark my words, when he leaves, our defense will suffer. He's been probably more consistent than Timmons.

ZoneBlitzer
12-29-2010, 01:56 AM
This was the year that Ike should've gotten in. Ike had a very good year.

pete74
12-29-2010, 04:18 AM
i think mayo earned his spot. of course i would rather see Timmons there but Mayo seems to be in on every tackel no matter were it is on the field. he had a great year

pete74
12-29-2010, 04:34 AM
as for Wallace, i think he was the biggest snub. he definatly deserved that spot over Reggie Wayne and im still shocked he wasnt invited.

Rick5895
12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Timmons certainly got "hosed" so did Farrior , Woodley and Taylor. However, I hope when I am watching the probowl I won't see any Steelers, because then that means we are in the SUPER BOWL

cloppbeast
12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Timmons was the biggest snub. He was better than both ILBs on the roster.

Wallace deserved it, but it wasn't ridiculous. It's hard to take out Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne or Brandon Loyd. It really came down to Wallace or Bowe - and it's a tough call. Of course in that situation the first round pick with the big name will get in. Hopfully Johnson or Wayne will decide not to go, assuming we don't make the Super Bowl.

cloppbeast
12-29-2010, 11:30 AM
as for Wallace, i think he was the biggest snub. he definatly deserved that spot over Reggie Wayne and im still shocked he wasnt invited.

Reggie Wayne is 3rd in receiving yards.

pete74
12-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Reggie Wayne is 3rd in receiving yards.

Wayne has 1287 and 5td's
Wallace has 1152 and 9td's plus played with his backup 4 games

pete74
12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
as for timmons, he had a great year but i dont consider him as being snubbed. the players selected at ILB had just as good a year if not better. you can pick 8 players that deserved to go at each position but what it really comes down to is how well your known. we can argue every position in the pro bowl because there are so many players with similar stats

biggtee
12-29-2010, 11:40 AM
yeah "the pro bowl sucks" and "the steelers wont be playing in it anyways" :blah: yada yada yada...

but we have a thread talking about those who made it. heres a thread to discuss the steelers who were snubbed. i think timmons snub is one of the worst in the entire league.

jarod mayo got it for nothing more than being on the team with the best record and doing nothing more than piling on and padding assist and tackle stats.

mayo- 1 sack. timmons-3
mayo- 0 passes defended. timmons-11
mayo- 0 int. timmons 2
mayo- 1 forced fumbles. timmons- 1
mayo- 3 fumble recoveries. timons- 2

timmons is the troy polamalu of linebackers on the best defense in the league.

mayo is ??? on a defense that is statistically in the bottom hald of the league.

:hunch:

4 patriot defenders made it. only 2 steelers. :doh:

im beginning to believe the pro bowl is the consolation prize for all the teams with the best record who lose the SB or never even make it.

TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhantomJB93
12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Im getting tired of people always overrating Ike so much, he's not great, he hasn't been great this year (a lot better than our other corners, don't get me wrong, but I think some people are confusing "not completely horrible" corner play with "great" corner play), and he is NOT having a Pro Bowl year. He's simply not and never will be on the level of guys like Nnamdi, Revis, etc. Hell he didn't even have a top 5 year in the AFC alone this year let alone the NFL, I would give Nnamdi, Revis, Brandon Flowers, Champ Bailey, Quentin Jammer, hell even Devin Mcourty all the nod before Ike

MDSteel15
12-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Im getting tired of people always overrating Ike so much, he's not great, he hasn't been great this year (a lot better than our other corners, don't get me wrong, but I think some people are confusing "not completely horrible" corner play with "great" corner play), and he is NOT having a Pro Bowl year. He's simply not and never will be on the level of guys like Nnamdi, Revis, etc. Hell he didn't even have a top 5 year in the AFC alone this year let alone the NFL, I would give Nnamdi, Revis, Brandon Flowers, Champ Bailey, Quentin Jammer, hell even Devin Mcourty all the nod before Ike

I'll give you McCourty, Flowers and Bailey, but the others, especially Revis who wasn't even the best on his own team, didn't out play Ike this season! It's a flippin' popularity contest.... :coffee:

Rick5895
12-29-2010, 12:52 PM

Ike isn't as flashy as the "top" corners in the league, doesn't get a lot of pics etc. he just comes to work and by and large does his job. As far as I am concerned he is vastly under rated.

tony hipchest
12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
as for timmons, he had a great year but i dont consider him as being snubbed. the players selected at ILB had just as good a year if not better. you can pick 8 players that deserved to go at each position but what it really comes down to is how well your known. we can argue every position in the pro bowl because there are so many players with similar stats

exactly how did ray lewis or mayo have as good of a year. other than having a few more tackles the numbers dont support that. as for being an impact player all over the field, the other 2 are left behind.

as for wallace a case can be made. he was 6th in the league in receiving yards.

he has more yards and tds than NFC pro bowlers desean jackson, and more yds but 3 fewer td's than calvin johnson.

unfortunately wallace doesnt have a cool nickname (or size) like "megatron" and he doesnt have all the antics or do all the taunting like jackson (he also doesnt get the exposure playing with vick).

if he were in the NFC and didnt make it, it would definitely be a snub. i agree he has had bigger impact than reggie wayne. hard to put him in over the likes of bowe, a. johnson, and b. lloyd, though.

im just glad that in his 2nd year he has proven he is already a top 10 WR (something santonio could never say).

his time will come.

cloppbeast
12-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Wayne has 1287 and 5td's
Wallace has 1152 and 9td's plus played with his backup 4 games

Given the historical nature of the pro bowl selection process, I'm not shocked nor upset. No one can say Reggie Wayne doesn't deserve to be there, even if Wallace deserves it more. Given his name, Wayne will make it over Wallace 9 out of 10 times with virtually identical stats, and 6 out of 10 times with worse stats. That's just the way it is.

But as far as the excuses, well those arguments don't hold any water. Sorry. Nobody is complaining that Steve Smith isn't in the pro bowl, even though he had some sorry bums throwing him the ball in all 16 games. Larry Fitzgerald can't help it he had 2 different rookie and (it gets worse) Derek Anderson starting at quarterback, yet he won't be playing in Honolulu either - despite the fact he's better. Tough luck, not snubbed.

pete74
12-29-2010, 04:07 PM
exactly how did ray lewis or mayo have as good of a year. other than having a few more tackles the numbers dont support that. as for being an impact player all over the field, the other 2 are left behind.

as for wallace a case can be made. he was 6th in the league in receiving yards.

he has more yards and tds than NFC pro bowlers desean jackson, and more yds but 3 fewer td's than calvin johnson.

unfortunately wallace doesnt have a cool nickname (or size) like "megatron" and he doesnt have all the antics or do all the taunting like jackson (he also doesnt get the exposure playing with vick).

if he were in the NFC and didnt make it, it would definitely be a snub. i agree he has had bigger impact than reggie wayne. hard to put him in over the likes of bowe, a. johnson, and b. lloyd, though.

im just glad that in his 2nd year he has proven he is already a top 10 WR (something santonio could never say).

his time will come.

mayo is everywere. even though we all hate the pats there is no way anyone can deny his talent. the guy has 170 tackles, that shows something in itself. im not sdaying he is a better player then timmons because i would take timmons over him anyday but i definatly think he deserves his spot in the pro bowl