PDA

View Full Version : Is Goodell really this stupid?

saveus1011
12-29-2010, 11:20 AM
http://andy-benoit.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/26714528

So Favre won't be suspended or fined more than $50,000 WITH EVIDENCE PROVING HE PURSUED HER but Roethlisberger can be suspended four games, and James Harrison can be fined $125,000 for playing football.

Yep, that Roger Goodell. He's really doing fine work!

Fire Arians
12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
there's no consistency whatsoever on the way this league punishes the players. you get a separate set of rules if you don't play for the steelers or are one of the darlings of the league

pete74
12-29-2010, 11:30 AM
it is insane. they need rules set in stone instead of one man enforcing them to his liking.

fer522
12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
goodell can kiss my ass
hes the stupidest comish ever

grward
12-29-2010, 12:28 PM
The worse part of this is that unless you're a Steelers fan you don't give a rats ass. That, my friends, is what makes it so easy to be unfair.

DoctorCAD
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Goddell sucks.

Can't suspend Brett because of no evidence, yet suspends Ben because of no evidence.

FTNFL

tony hipchest
12-29-2010, 01:19 PM
in the words of the league office there was not enough evidence that breet farvre did anything to violate the league conduct policy, or anything that violated workplace behavior. yet he was fined 50 K for being non cooperative.

i didnt know a bachelor having sex in the offseason did. ben was totally cooperative.

:hunch:

pure and simple- goodell used ben and harrison to make examples of. after that he he didnt need to make exaples of anyone else.

it was a bunch of tough talk he is too spineless to follow up on. he realized he bit off more than he can chew.

plenewken
12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Ridiculous! Goodell should have suspended the 2 creeps and not just one.

TRH
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM
i posted this over in the "NFL" forum, but i'll move it over here too.....

ruling has come in. $50K fine...no suspension.
I just laugh and laugh and laugh. Even if he doesn't play another game, a "suspension" had to be dished out. Remember that little thing called the "NFL misconduct policy".
Whatever.
Some guys get fined. Some get suspended and made an example of. $50K to Favre is like 100 bucks to most of us. At least most people try to hide their bias.....Goodell doesn't even care...him and his cronies just go ahead and make it obvious and let it all hang out. And basically, they can say "What are you going to do about it?". The answer is = Nothing. Nobody's going to do anything.
It's going to take a prominent owner with allies to come out and make a VERY strong stance against his brand of Communism.
Another mockery of the system. Disgusting. Just downright disgusting

TRH
12-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Supposed league ambassador. Publicly bragged about being happily married. Goes behind wife's back and sends juvenile, dirty text's to a team cheerleader. Wants to meet her in a hotel (and i don't think he was wanting to play tiddlywinks...)...Supposedly sends a picture of his genitals as well (they say they can't prove that the genitals was Favre's...but the pic was sent....c'mon). Won't outright deny anything, but won't talk either.
Doesn't violate the league misconduct policy?? Huh?? What? Really??
Wow.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
This is where the Rooneys need to step up, and blast Goodell. Goodell will fine them. But they need to man up and protect their players more.

So Favre blocked, purposefully the investigation. NFL has proved that. As they fined him for that. IF he was innocent, would he have blocked the investigation?
So he is arguing that someone took his phone, snapped pictures of his frank and beans and than from his same phone, sent the picture to the "massuese",
Seriously, that is the story?lol

So this whole thing is not a voilation of the invisible NFL code of conduct for its players? Its ok boys to try to get a happy ending from the hot masseuse, lol Just please do not send pictures inferring it.

BigRick
12-29-2010, 03:45 PM
This is pure bullshit! Rodger the Doger promised action on Favre before the end of the season. Waited till one game left and Favre may not play anyway. This is clearl a case of the punishment depends on who you are. Goodell needs to go. If the Rooneys don't speak up now I'll lose all respect for them! :banging:

saveus1011
12-29-2010, 03:53 PM
I know my Twitter assault on Goodell and his PR people ultimately means nothing in the end, but if the Rooneys won't, I will!!

ricardisimo
12-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I know my Twitter assault on Goodell and his PR people ultimately means nothing in the end, but if the Rooneys won't, I will!!
I already asked Goodell to come on over to MySpace so I could Twitter all over his Facebook. No response yet.

silver & black
12-29-2010, 04:19 PM
The worse part of this is that unless you're a Steelers fan you don't give a rats ass. That, my friends, is what makes it so easy to be unfair.

That isn't true. As a Raiders fan, and having my team be singled out, it seems, almost flagrantly by the NFL and the clowns in the stripes over the years, I can say that I'm not thrilled with the inconsistency in meeting out fines and punishments either.

Having said that, is anyone really surprised by this? It's Brett Favre. He's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Did you really think Goodell would come down that hard on him... in his last year... with one game left?

FanSince72
12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah but Favre is the Good ol' Boy who sells Wrangler jeans and all kinds of other stuff and has been touted as a living legend by all of the talking heads.

Brett and his reputation (much of which I personally believe is just Madison Avenue bullshit) means millions of dollars for sponsors and "Good Will" for the League and they won't risk their cash cow by suspending him.

After all, unlike a simple fine, a suspension implies that you really did something wrong and they DO NOT under any circumstances want the public to believe that "Saint Brett" is anything other than what the marketing machine has crafted him to be: A down home warrior who wears 'Murican-made jeans and drives a "Murican truck and plays through the pain and puts smiles on the faces of fans across the country.

Right now, the Good ol' Boy image is big in advertising and that image plays well for the NFL and it sells all of the crap that's tied to the "tough guy" image that the NFL and its fans are so in love with. To have Brett Favre (the prototypical Good ol' Boy) thought of as some kind of "Willy-Waver" would serve to throw that entire image (and its earning power) under one of the many six-wheeled manhood compensators John Goodman tells us we need to own every three minutes during a typical football telecast and that "America's Hero" is just a dirty old man.

There is simply no way that the League or the image makers are going to let that happen.

plenewken
12-29-2010, 04:28 PM
That isn't true. As a Raiders fan, and having my team be singled out, it seems, almost flagrantly by the NFL and the clowns in the stripes over the years, I can say that I'm not thrilled with the inconsistency in meeting out fines and punishments either.

Having said that, is anyone really surprised by this? It's Brett Favre. He's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Did you really think Goodell would come down that hard on him... in his last year?

It doesn't matter if it's Favre, Ben or another player. The NFL Code of Conduct applies to all players, irrespective of the length of their career and their achievements.
Goodell has lost all credibility in my eyes.

TRH
12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
It doesn't matter if it's Favre, Ben or another player. The NFL Code of Conduct applies to all players, irrespective of the length of their career and their achievements.

well said. I understand being one of the leagues "merchandise and good will cash cow" thing....but, i mean, friggin' Jerry Rice (for an example), didn't go out in his last year and advertise as a happily married man, which Favre himself has done, then send dirty text messages and pictures to cheerleaders and invite them up to his room. At least that we know about lol
If you do the crime (or misconduct as the league itself likes to say), then you do the time.....regardless

silver & black
12-29-2010, 04:37 PM

Goodell lost credibilty a long time ago; this decision wasn't what did it.

Of course the code of conduct should apply equally across the board. But, as the poster above pointed out, in this case, there was no way that was going to happen, for the reasons he cited.

If you or any other Steelers fans thought different, you just set yourselve's up for disappointment. This kind of thing happens everyday around the world in some capacity or another. It's not fair or right, but it's the reality of the world today.

Atlanta Dan
12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
pure and simple- goodell used ben and harrison to make examples of. after that he he didnt need to make exaples of anyone else.

it was a bunch of tough talk he is too spineless to follow up on. he realized he bit off more than he can chew.

What it shows is that Goodell and his Park Avenue crew consistently do what they think is the smart short term PR move - the latest example was guessing the league might get grief if there were weather related problems leaving the Eagles game Sunday night and deciding at noon to postpone the game. That overreaction blew up on them, with Ed Rendell leading the charge:thumbsup:

The owners will not can Goodell with the contract negotiations going on but there has to be a group of owners wondering how long this make it up as you go along management style should be rewarded

TRH
12-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Goodell lost credibilty a long time ago; this decision wasn't what did it.

Of course the code of conduct should apply equally across the board. But, as the poster above pointed out, in this case, there was no way that was going to happen, for the reasons he cited.

If you or any other Steelers fans thought different, you just set yourselve's up for disappointment. This kind of thing happens everyday around the world in some capacity or another. It's not fair or right, but it's the reality of the world today.

unfortunately, sir, you are correct.
Teams like the Steelers and Raiders, who have "bad-guy" images and are not in bed with the league office will come out on the losing side all the time.
Teams like the Patriots and Cowboys, and players like Favre, Manning, Brady will always win out in these types of things. Sad but true.
I don't have any faith that the rest of the NFL owners would push to force Goodell out (which they should do..)

BigRick
12-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Having said that, is anyone really surprised by this? It's Brett Favre. He's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Did you really think Goodell would come down that hard on him... in his last year... with one game left?

Glad to hear someone else come forward if you don't play with Manning or Brady in yhe NFL's opinion you don't count. :banging:

finesward
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
So if they found they couldn't prove he broke the workplace policy, he sure as hell broke the player conduct policy. If you can suspend ben for showing his **** in a club, you should be able to suspend brett for showing his **** via phone. NFL is a f'n joke

SH-Rock
12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
The real question here is:
Can he be any stupider?

silver & black
12-29-2010, 07:14 PM
The real question here is:
Can he be any stupider?

Time will tell.

MasterOfPuppets
12-29-2010, 09:17 PM
goodell interrogated favre's penis till it spit in his eye. thus the fine for not cooperating.

AndyWitmyer
12-29-2010, 10:08 PM
His logic is that Ben was a "repeat offender" - whereas Farve is just a "discreet sexter".

lionslicer
12-29-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think Ben deserved to be suspended, though I'm glad he was, he seems to be working a bit harder this year, and I haven't heard anything about him being an asshole off the field, seemed last year he was a total assholes to fans week after week.

I don't think Favre deserve to be suspsed since he's most likely gonna retire, and why fine him if he wont learn his lesson because he wont be in the NFL ? and suppose he was comming back, why does he deserve to be suspended because Ben was... Maybe Goodell wants to admit his mistake and not make it again with Favre... especially, since he didn't do anything illegal or against NFL conduct policy rules.

Goodell still is stupid and I hope he gets kidnapped and forced to stare at Favre's weiner

BigRick
12-29-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't think Ben deserved to be suspended, though I'm glad he was, he seems to be working a bit harder this year, and I haven't heard anything about him being an asshole off the field, seemed last year he was a total assholes to fans week after week.

I don't think Favre deserve to be suspsed since he's most likely gonna retire, and why fine him if he wont learn his lesson because he wont be in the NFL ? and suppose he was comming back, why does he deserve to be suspended because Ben was... Maybe Goodell wants to admit his mistake and not make it again with Favre... especially, since he didn't do anything illegal or against NFL conduct policy rules.

Goodell still is stupid and I hope he gets kidnapped and forced to stare at Favre's weiner

That's what he's been doing while he investigated the charges. Lookin at the the pictures,licking his lips and loping his donkey!!!! :rofl:

lionslicer
12-30-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm watching ESPN... Favre makes 50k every 3 minutes of game time? ... Thats insane... They fined him for 3 minutes worth of his time...

MikeHaullace
12-30-2010, 01:37 AM
The difference between most, if not all, of you and me is, I am no longer emotionally attached.

The result was expected. The feeling is the same.

F^%K YOU, Roger Goodell.

F^%K YOU for being the reason for my emotional detachment.

harts
12-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Why people surprised?
He waited till the end of the season to say something.

If people would have kept their mouths shut about Ben it wouldn't have been a big deal either

Mike Vick situation also

Goodell responds to media pressure - he is about money which is what the NFL is about

ESPN and the rest of the media is to blame really because THEY didnt make a big deal out of this.

If Brett would have been Donovan Mcnabb it would have been a different story

Dont be mad at Goodell - he does what's in the best interest of the NFL and the best interest of the NFL is MONEY!

SH-Rock
12-30-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm watching ESPN... Favre makes 50k every 3 minutes of game time? ... Thats insane... They fined him for 3 minutes worth of his time...

At his age, those three minutes are priceless :rofl:

MikeHaullace
12-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Dont be mad at Goodell - he does what's in the best interest of the NFL and the best interest of the NFL is MONEY!

Isn't that exactly, in the same breath, *WHY* we should be mad at Goodell? :noidea:

Perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken.

TRH
12-30-2010, 08:13 AM
uh-oh. Jenn Sterger and her lawyer ARE NOT happy with the outcome.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/glauber-s-nfl-hot-reads-1.811959/sterger-lawyer-rips-nfl-decision-1.2575690

don't expect this one to be over by a longshot....

Lord of Lombardi
12-31-2010, 10:53 AM
This is pure bullshit! Rodger the Doger promised action on Favre before the end of the season. Waited till one game left and Favre may not play anyway. This is clearl a case of the punishment depends on who you are. Goodell needs to go. If the Rooneys don't speak up now I'll lose all respect for them! :banging:

The good news is that Fag-arve will finally be out of football soon. I laughed when they sent a posse of players to his hometown to round up that doggie and like the loser that he turned out to be, he infected his entire team with his Ben like ENTITLEMENT which breeds individualism and they Sheeet the bed. Added another cancer in Moss, had a joke of a coach. Just another organization that can't stack up to us. My worst nightmare would be having Fag-arve come back as an analyst and seeing his face every week next to the biggest joke and insult to every analyst-Keyshawn Johnson.

Let's hope Fag-arve retires and is never heard from again. Never saw what was so great about over rated qb gun slinger who has 1 ring with all that talent around him.
Be gone Dumbsheet. No legacy worth noting.

Lord of Lombardi
12-31-2010, 11:10 AM
The good news is that every team and fan base has the same opinion about Gaydell. He has taken our beloved football and reduced it to a half speed game. The new NFL is severely handicapping the Defensive teams and they are hoping that this puts more points on the board. Hockey did the same thing, although getting the goons off the ice was over due since it is a skill game and you should play the puck and not tackle players your entire shift. But let's focus on Football, or what used to be Football. It is obvious that the NFL needs a board of commissioners, one from the NFC, one from the AFC and one Senior commissioner who has the deciding vote should the two junior commissioners not have a unanimous decision. Establish a fineable hit list and the amount of each fine. Hold referees accountable for their missed calls as well as their blown calls. Keep score and publish those scores througout the season. Let the fans see how the refs are doing. We track stats on players with holding penalties, off sides, pass interference, personal fouls, why not track the referee screw ups? Would that not make them focus more, not show favoritism? At the end of the season we the fans would see who rates reffing the superbowl. Too much control is in the hands of Gaydell and we Stiller fans know it. The game is starting to suck and i NEVER thought I'd feel that way about NFL football. I'm tired of the scripted football we now watch. I'm tired of the NFL shying away from accountability, announcers not calling out the leaugue more during games. We need a network called the LFN, Laughable Football Network.
We need to pray that Gaydell is thrown out or that the owners address these BS changes during the next CB agreement. I am now changing my Fire Arians plee to Fire Gaydell. Please join me.

austinfrench76
12-31-2010, 05:02 PM
The simple answer to the thread question is..Yes.

TRH
12-31-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm very interested to see what comes of all this Favre-stuff. Don't think its over just because its over with the NFL.
Miss Jenn and her attorny are NOT happy with the NFL ruling and have issued a press release saying so. My guess is that there's no doubt her scumbag attorney will pursue in a different direction. Don't worry....you haven't heard the last of this, i'm sure.

4xSBChamps
01-01-2011, 07:51 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5967196

... what this outcome did demonstrate is that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's tough talk about player conduct was easily defeated by Favre's iconic status...

... I'm also not sure how much Goodell can be taken seriously when it comes to player conduct matters...

... think of the message this sends to Favre, who not only walks away with the unique honor of having played in 297 straight games but also has the special distinction of being the only player in NFL history to prove he is bigger than the league itself...

even the League's lap-dogs & crotch-slurpers at ESPN are starting to figure this out

TRH
01-01-2011, 09:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5967196

even the League's lap-dogs & crotch-slurpers at ESPN are starting to figure this out

It will be interesting to see what avenue her and her attorney take now ....that they are seemingly done with the NFL/suspension thing. This ain't over.

mesaSteeler
01-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Goodell is nothing more than a pimp for the Cheats and yes he is that stupid.

As far as the gold digger and her attorney she's just after money. She can file a civil suit which will languish in the courts for years and slowly be forgotten once Farve is out of football.