PDA

View Full Version : Cribbs, Browns plan on knocking out title plans for Steelers, Harrison

Deserei90
12-30-2010, 01:11 AM
By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 04:52 p.m. EST, Dec 29, 2010

BEREA: If the Browns have their way, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison's homecoming will be spoiled when he returns to Northeast Ohio on Sunday.

Harrison, an Akron native, knocked wide receivers Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi out of the Steelers' 28-10 win over the Browns on Oct. 17 at Heinz Field. Both players left the game in the second quarter after suffering concussions at the hands — or helmet — of Harrison.

Now the Browns (5-10) are hoping to play the role of a spoiler against the Steelers (11-4), who can capture the AFC North title and a first-round postseason bye with a win in the regular-season finale at Cleveland Browns Stadium. The Browns insist their rivalry with the Steelers is as intense as ever, and Harrison's hits have certainly added some fuel to the fire.

''You won't see it right now, but when the lights come on, you'll see a lot of pissed-off guys,'' Cribbs said Wednesday. ''We've got to practice good this week and show that we can win the football game.

''This will be our one ticket to be forgiven from our fans for the disappointing season that we had. We're gonna give it our best. They're gonna come with their best, and we're at our home, so we've gotta put [out] the best showing of the year.''

Harrison's devastating blows to Cribbs and Massaquoi, along with a few other vicious collisions throughout the league during Week 6, sparked widespread debate about the safety of players. The NFL announced it would begin cracking down on dangerous and flagrant hits by levying substantial fines and even suspensions. The league also sent videos to teams, outlining the differences between legal and illegal hits.

Just about everyone involved questioned whether professional football would be changed forever.

''I still don't think we have an answer to that,'' Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. ''I think those answers are long-term answers, particularly when you're talking about it from an initiative standpoint, in terms of what the league is trying to get done from a long-term standpoint. I think those are only going to be measured over an extended period of time — and I'm talking years because what we're talking about is changing the nature in which people play and see the game of football.''

Although Harrison was not penalized for his hits against the Browns, the league fined him $75,000. In response to the controversy, Harrison said he contemplated retirement. Cribbs, who was Harrison's teammate during their days at Kent State University, defended Harrison, encouraged him not to alter his style and said he believed he was instrumental in dissuading Harrison from cutting his career short.

However, Cribbs also said he couldn't wait to hit Harrison back. When asked Wednesday if he still wants retribution, Cribbs said, ''Of course, but I'm not gonna talk about it. I'm gonna do my talking on the field.''

Some believe Harrison has adjusted his techniques since Week 6. He has accumulated $125,000 in fines for four separate infractions this season.

''He's still trying to hit people the same way he has been, but maybe he's trying to lower his target and not hit guys in the head quite as much,'' said Browns left tackle Joe Thomas, who, like Harrison, recently received his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl selection. ''The NFL tried to send him a message, and it seems like he got it.''

In the aftermath of Harrison's hits, Cribbs missed two days of practice but played the next week against the New Orleans Saints. Massaquoi, though, missed one game before returning Nov. 7 against the New England Patriots.

On Wednesday, Massaquoi declined to answer questions about Harrison, but he said the rivalry between the Browns and the Steelers remains bitter. The Steelers have prevailed in 13 of the past 14 meetings, though the Browns pulled a 13-6 upset last season in Week 14.

''It's Pittsburgh. I don't know how else to put it,'' Massaquoi said. ''It's not like we're good friends. It's not like there's good blood between the two teams.''

http://tinyurl.com/33nwpz7 Basically, Cribbs wants revenge:popcorn:

btaylor179
12-30-2010, 06:21 AM
we have got to win this game..........must win!

Diamond-D
12-30-2010, 06:52 AM
''This will be our one ticket to be forgiven from our fans for the disappointing season that we had."

That is such a sad statement to make. Pathetic really.

We better not lose to them.

grward
12-30-2010, 07:24 AM
I hope the team is listening to this crap. And I hope it fires them up even more! I agree, we better not lose to them!

TRH
12-30-2010, 08:15 AM
you bet your ass they're psyched up to beat us.
Hell, they still believe they are our #1 nemesis. Sorry pathetic Browns...its the Raven's now.
We've got to play hard and very physical Sunday...They will definitely be trying their hardest to take us out.

Fire Arians
12-30-2010, 09:57 AM
i hope cribbs gets curb stomped by harrison again

FanSince72
12-30-2010, 09:59 AM
It seems that we have a habit of playing down to our competition. Hopefully this news will fire em up so we can trash the Stains and secure a 2 seed and a much-needed 1st round bye!

As much as I hate to admit it, you're absolutely right. (love the avatar, BTW!)

We DO INDEED have a habit of playing down to our competition (or at least not taking them seriously enough) and that has to stop.

For those who don't believe that, just think about how you'd be looking at a game like this if it was New England playing the Browns instead of us. Is there a person alive who would even remotely consider the notion that the Pats would lose a game like this?

Hell no.

Most people would simply pencil in the Patsies by at least two touchdowns and move on to the next pick.

But here I read a lot of hand-wringing posts about how we "need" this game or that we "have to" win this game and so on. Why is that? We should all be looking at this game as the formality it's supposed to be and yet I'll bet that better than 80% of the guys on this board are worried about it on some level.

There has to be a reason for that.

FanSince72
12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
There IS a reason, FanSince ... My husband says you can see within the first series whether the Steelers are pumped for the game by watching who is controlling the line of scrimmage. We've dismantled teams that are every bit as talented as ours, yet have blown easy wins to teams not half as talented because of that factor alone.

Let's hope they take care of business this Sunday!:drink:

Either your husband and I have met before or he's somehow heard some of my conversations because that's exactly the way I look at this team. I tell my friends that all I need to see is how we play the first series or two and I can tell you what kind of game it's going to be and whether or not it will be a good day or a long and disappointing day.

As far as "taking care of business goes", if we don't, then we have no business being in the playoffs.

Period.

LVSteelersfan
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
You have to be concerned about every game you play. Doesn't matter who. In the NFL every once in awhile the bottom feeders will rise up for a game or two and smack someone down. Don't forget this team beat a couple of quality opponents and took some others to the wire this year so it is not like they are not capable. I don't think they are capable of beating us but strange things happen. If the STs are not ready when the game starts we could see another run back on the kickoff from Cribbs. Those kinds of plays turn games in the favor of lesser teams. But I think the Steelers will be ready to knock the ****iness right out of the Clowns.

Bubbabanjo
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Browns are skid marks.

SoCalFan
12-30-2010, 12:04 PM
That is such a sad statement to make. Pathetic really.

We better not lose to them.

My thoughts exactly!

FanSince72
12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
You have to be concerned about every game you play. Doesn't matter who. In the NFL every once in awhile the bottom feeders will rise up for a game or two and smack someone down. Don't forget this team beat a couple of quality opponents and took some others to the wire this year so it is not like they are not capable. I don't think they are capable of beating us but strange things happen. If the STs are not ready when the game starts we could see another run back on the kickoff from Cribbs. Those kinds of plays turn games in the favor of lesser teams. But I think the Steelers will be ready to knock the ****iness right out of the Clowns.

You know, I agree with everything you've written and on face value there's no argument.

But the one thing missing right now is Swagger. This team isn't showing any swagger and at this point in the season swagger accounts for much of how a team fares in the post season. Right now, I'd say the team with the most obvious swagger is Baltimore. They enter each game as if they already know they'll win it and I honestly don't see that with us. Hell, I don't even see that in New England, although in thier case I think it's more like a quiet confidence.

In '05 we had swagger, in '08 we had swagger but right now -- not so much.

I think I see a hopefulness that things haven't actually peaked yet and I sense that that may happen soon and I think the team senses that as well. But as far as a feeling of being in charge, I don't sense it yet.

Don't get me wrong, I think (and I believe the team does as well) that we have a very real chance at winning it all, but we still need that "complete game" to help everyone really believe it. I hope this week can make that happen.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-30-2010, 01:21 PM
How much black and gold will be there Sunday, I'm betting way more that brown and orange.

TRH
12-30-2010, 03:11 PM
You know, I agree with everything you've written and on face value there's no argument.

But the one thing missing right now is Swagger. This team isn't showing any swagger and at this point in the season swagger accounts for much of how a team fares in the post season. Right now, I'd say the team with the most obvious swagger is Baltimore. They enter each game as if they already know they'll win it and I honestly don't see that with us. Hell, I don't even see that in New England, although in thier case I think it's more like a quiet confidence.

In '05 we had swagger, in '08 we had swagger but right now -- not so much.

I think I see a hopefulness that things haven't actually peaked yet and I sense that that may happen soon and I think the team senses that as well. But as far as a feeling of being in charge, I don't sense it yet.

Don't get me wrong, I think (and I believe the team does as well) that we have a very real chance at winning it all, but we still need that "complete game" to help everyone really believe it. I hope this week can make that happen.

I certainly hope we start showing some more than we have. When we show some real fire out there, thats when we really play well.
The New England game was an all-season low (all-decade low??). We looked listless and everyone looked like they were sleep-walking.
And i also agree that i wish we had Baltimore's confidence. Man, if we took the field like that, i'd feel like we'd win nearly every game we ever play.

NYC_Steeler
12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
It would be nice to see Harrison & Co. knock out Cribbs - as in lights out, you're done for the day. Steelers know they need to bring their A game because they sure as hell can't rely on the Bungles.