PDA

View Full Version : Ben vs. Bradford: Who Was The Best Rookie ?

SteelerEmpire
12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
No matter who wins the NFC West on Sunday night, Sam Bradford already has won. He has enjoyed one of the greatest rookie seasons by a quarterback in NFL history, establishing himself as a franchise cornerstone for the up-and-coming Rams.

Just how good has Bradford been? So good that he might be the second-best rookie quarterback of the past 25 years.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40841653/ns/sports-nfl/

StainlessStill
12-30-2010, 03:49 PM
No matter who wins the NFC West on Sunday night, Sam Bradford already has won. He has enjoyed one of the greatest rookie seasons by a quarterback in NFL history, establishing himself as a franchise cornerstone for the up-and-coming Rams.

Just how good has Bradford been? So good that he might be the second-best rookie quarterback of the past 25 years.

Ben Roethlisberger 2004 2,621 17 11 98.1 13

Sam Bradford 2010 3,357 18 14 78.0 7

Ben: Lesser interceptions, better passer rating and more wins in a TOUGHER division. Gimmie Ben. Bradford plays indoors and goes up against a much weaker division. We'll see his true colors in the post-season.

mikegrimey
12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Hard to compare.

Ben inherited a pretty good team with a power running game, good receivers, and a staunch defense). Whereas Bradford is doing what he does with a bunch of nobodies and a constantly injured Steven Jackson.

You also have to account that Bradford has played the seahawks, cardinals, and 9ers each twice.

It's impossible to choose only considering their rookie years. Too many intangibles to factor in.

pete74
12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
impossible to compare. Bradford is playing for the worst team in the entire Nfl last year. Ben came to a team stacked on both sides of the ball. with that said there both 2 extremly dofferent QB's. if the rams got a few decent WR'S i think Bradford could some day be as good as Ben though

cloppbeast
12-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Ben: Lesser interceptions, better passer rating and more wins in a TOUGHER division. Gimmie Ben. Bradford plays indoors and goes up against a much weaker division. We'll see his true colors in the post-season.

Kind of how Ben threw like 5 interceptions in two playoff games in his rookie year?

Ben has played for one of the best franchises in the NFL with one of the greatest defenses, he's supposed to win. Bradford is playing on one of the bottom feeders last year, and has helped them turn it around this year.

Ben might have had slightly better statistics his rookie year, but he was also throwing to Plaxico Burress and Hines Ward. I can't even name one of the WRs on th Rams, but I do know that their top 2 on the depth chart were both injured this season.

Based solely on their rookie seasons, I'd take Bradford.

BTW, I love how everyone uses Ben's winning percentage and Super Bowls as an indication of his quarterback ability, ignoring the fact that he plays on a great team, but they never hesitate to excuse his stats because of his poor offensive line. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a Steeler's fan say, "If Brady played behind Ben's oline.....", well try this out for size, "If Ben played on the Rams......" or "If Sam Bradford played on the Steelers....."

NYC_Steeler
12-30-2010, 04:18 PM
While I agree that Ben had the better team, he also had much more diffult competition and was in the most toughest division in all of football. He led the team to the 2004 AFC Championship game and had it not been for his 3 interceptions, we'd have 7 Lombardis right now. No way Bradford can compare - he's on a pass-happy team: Ben was not.

MattsMe
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I can't believe this question is even being asked. :doh:

What the hell is wrong with people?

fer522
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I can't believe this question is even being asked.

right on brother

steelerchad
12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Kind of how Ben threw like 5 interceptions in two playoff games in his rookie year?

Ben has played for one of the best franchises in the NFL with one of the greatest defenses, he's supposed to win. Bradford is playing on one of the bottom feeders last year, and has helped them turn it around this year.

Ben might have had slightly better statistics his rookie year, but he was also throwing to Plaxico Burress and Hines Ward. I can't even name one of the WRs on th Rams, but I do know that their top 2 on the depth chart were both injured this season.

Based solely on their rookie seasons, I'd take Bradford.

BTW, I love how everyone uses Ben's winning percentage and Super Bowls as an indication of his quarterback ability, ignoring the fact that he plays on a great team, but they never hesitate to excuse his stats because of his poor offensive line. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a Steeler's fan say, "If Brady played behind Ben's oline.....", well try this out for size, "If Ben played on the Rams......" or "If Sam Bradford played on the Steelers....."

Comon. yea, Ben was on a good team, but they were 15-1. 14-0 with him as a starter. He did everything he was asked to do that year. Bradford is good and if they win this week they will make the playoffs. He also doesn't have as many weapons or a great defense. He does have an excellent RB though.
The Rams are also 7-8 right now against a last placed schedule in possibly the worst division of all time. I'll take Ben.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Seriously, 14-0 and beat the Pats during the reg season as a 3rd string QB. Keep in mind he was NOT going to play that year, probably EVER.

Who did the Rams play this year? I see no shocking revelations of teams that they beat. The play in the worst division ever created in sports. Lost 44-6 to the lions, is that the Detriot Lions?lol
Claim to fame is beating a non playoff team in SD. Who starts off 0 for in the beginning anyway.

RAMS:

1 Sun, Sep 12 vsArizona L17-13 Box Score | Play-By-Play
2 Sun, Sep 19 @Oakland L16-14 Box Score | Play-By-Play
3 Sun, Sep 26 vsWashington W30-16 Box Score | Play-By-Play
4 Sun, Oct 3 vsSeattle W20-3 Box Score | Play-By-Play
5 Sun, Oct 10 @Detroit L44-6 Box Score | Play-By-Play
6 Sun, Oct 17 vsSan Diego W20-17 Box Score | Play-By-Play
7 Sun, Oct 24 @Tampa Bay L18-17 Box Score | Play-By-Play
8 Sun, Oct 31 vsCarolina W20-10 Box Score | Play-By-Play
9 BYE WEEK
10 Sun, Nov 14 @San Francisco L23-20 OT Box Score | Play-By-Play
11 Sun, Nov 21 vsAtlanta L34-17 Box Score | Play-By-Play
12 Sun, Nov 28 @Denver W36-33 Box Score | Play-By-Play
13 Sun, Dec 5 @Arizona W19-6 Box Score | Play-By-Play
14 Sun, Dec 12 @New Orleans L31-13 Box Score | Play-By-Play
15 Sun, Dec 19 vsKansas City L27-13 Box Score | Play-By-Play
16 Sun, Dec 26 vsSan Francisco W25-17 Box Score | Play-By-Play
17 Sun, Jan 2 @Seattle 8:20 PM NBC Tickets | Travel

MDSteel15
12-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Thank you for saving me the keystrokes.... :thumbsup:

MDSteel15
12-30-2010, 07:03 PM

Exactly...

Fire Arians
12-30-2010, 09:07 PM
hard to compare st. louis went from being one of the worst teams in the nfl to decent thanks to bradford. ben fell to a team with super bowl talent.

i think bradford is going to be very good though.

lionslicer
12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Ben was taken care of, he had a running game and a defense. Bradford is just kind of thrown out there with a medicore defense, an average running game and inexperienced recievers. Ben had probably the best rookie year of any quarterback ever, Bradford didn't have a chance to have a good rookie season, but I say he has a great career ahead of him

Third Rail
12-31-2010, 02:52 AM
Ben.

I'm not saying that Bradford hasn't impressed me. The kid is already a star in this league and will hopefully take the Rams to the playoffs, which is impressive since they were absolutely horrid last year (and many years before that). But Bradford will be, at best, QB of an 8-8 team. In any other division in the league, his team would not have a shot in hell at making the post season. Fortunately for him, the rest of the teams in the NFC West are complete shit.

Now, it is true that Ben's team was a lot better than Bradford's when he was drafted. But they were still 6-10 in the previous season. So when his detractors try to dismiss him and say that he was just along for the ride, I would argue that the Steelers would have become a perennial bottom feeder in the AFC North if they hadn't drafted him. Tommy Maddox was a one-trick pony that the league had figured out, Bettis had one or two seasons left, etc.

steeltheone
12-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Hard to compare.

Ben inherited a pretty good team with a power running game, good receivers, and a staunch defense). Whereas Bradford is doing what he does with a bunch of nobodies and a constantly injured Steven Jackson.

You also have to account that Bradford has played the seahawks, cardinals, and 9ers each twice.

It's impossible to choose only considering their rookie years. Too many intangibles to factor in.

Pretty good team? Super Bowl contender team..

cloppbeast
12-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Tommy Maddox was a one-trick pony that the league had figured out, Bettis had one or two seasons left, etc.

What trick was that?

FanSince72
12-31-2010, 09:55 AM

What he said! :applaudit:

fat4jc
12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
What trick was that?

throwing pick 6's???

lionslicer
12-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Ben.

I'm not saying that Bradford hasn't impressed me. The kid is already a star in this league and will hopefully take the Rams to the playoffs, which is impressive since they were absolutely horrid last year (and many years before that). But Bradford will be, at best, QB of an 8-8 team. In any other division in the league, his team would not have a shot in hell at making the post season. Fortunately for him, the rest of the teams in the NFC West are complete shit.

Now, it is true that Ben's team was a lot better than Bradford's when he was drafted. But they were still 6-10 in the previous season. So when his detractors try to dismiss him and say that he was just along for the ride, I would argue that the Steelers would have become a perennial bottom feeder in the AFC North if they hadn't drafted him. Tommy Maddox was a one-trick pony that the league had figured out, Bettis had one or two seasons left, etc.

Well said.. But the Rams were 1-15 last year and now they might be 8-8.
Benn took a 6-10 team and got 13 wins himself, can't count the game Tommy played or the final game of the season with just backups. So he impoved the team by 7 wins.. If Bradford wins and gets to 8-8 he improved his team by ... wait for it. 7 WINS!!!

So both Ben and Bradford improved their teams by 7 wins, so they pretty much had equally good rookie seasons.

Bam

BengalDestroyer
12-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Ben WON... so Ben.

austinfrench76
12-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Ben.

jizzballz
12-31-2010, 06:52 PM

http://www.shrani.si/f/3G/Rd/70Wko5M/2s8g51d.gif