PDA

View Full Version : the truth about steelers linebackers

tony hipchest
12-31-2010, 03:56 AM
they are possible the best 4 this league has seen. if not, verry close.

it is completely screwed up that only james harrison was recognized with a pro bowl bid. only lamaar woodley was named as an alternate. timmons stats are better than 2 of the 3 who made it at his position, and him and farrior both have more impact than any of the others.

of the 200 or so sack leaders with 3+ sacks, only 8 have 2 interceptions (none have 3 or more).

3 of the 8 are harrison, woodley, and timmons.

only 3 players with 7 or more sacks have 2 interceptions- woodley, peppers, harrison

farrior is tied in league lead with six sacks for interior/middle linebackers (6).

a comparative analysis shows the steelers linebackers are asked to do much more than their contemporaries at the same positions. they have well rounded stats in regards to forced fumbles, recoveries, interceptions, passes defended, and of course sacks and tackles. Many of their peers only excel in 1 or 2 of these areas.

this group of 4 is more accomplished than lloyd, greene, kirkland, brown, and possibly a better quartet than the saints corps in the late '80s.

#1 run defense/ #1 scoring defense.

these stats would be even better with a healthy smith and polamalu.

lionslicer
12-31-2010, 06:02 AM
I said this before, this is quite possibly one of the best linebacking corps the league has seen in a long time. I say its better than the mid 90's steelers linebackers.
Saints of the 80's was really good because of their middle linebacker, I can't remember his name, but he called out every play the other team ran before it happened, so the linebackers around him pretty much knew what to do and it made them a lot better.

ricardisimo
12-31-2010, 07:09 AM
I said this before, this is quite possibly one of the best linebacking corps the league has seen in a long time. I say its better than the mid 90's steelers linebackers.
Saints of the 80's was really good because of their middle linebacker, I can't remember his name, but he called out every play the other team ran before it happened, so the linebackers around him pretty much knew what to do and it made them a lot better.
You talking about Sam Mills?

pete74
12-31-2010, 07:32 AM
steelers definatly have the best linebackers in the nfl. there isnt another team even close to comparing with our 4 starters.

Whodis
12-31-2010, 08:12 AM
I gree with you Tony

However, when they try to play our D conservatily they get real shitty in coverage.

these guys are designed to let loose IMO

steelerchad
12-31-2010, 09:00 AM

That's who he's talking about. Mills was the brains behind the operation. Swilling was the guy I remember making the big plays.

steeltheone
12-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Harrison is a lloyd clone.....Imagine having both starting at the same time Damn

lionslicer
12-31-2010, 02:36 PM

Yes, the late Sam Mills. Jim Mora said that he was the greatest player he ever coached. Though he was so short, he was a dominant linebacker and one of the smartest to ever play.

The linebackers around him had very medicore seasons once Mills left or they left and they weren't around him anymore. Mills is the only one to make a probowl with another team. I say if it wasn't for him, that group of linebackers would have never been considered as great and that defense wouldn't be as good.

austinfrench76
12-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Best 4 deifintely!!!!!

VegasStlrFan
12-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Where can you find the vote count by player and is that sole selection Criteria?