PDA

View Full Version : Chris Meyers Interview...

clevestinks
04-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Has Ben on today, I`m not sure if it is a repeat, but it is recent.
Ben just mentioned that he wants badly to be a 300 yards passer per game type QB.
Just watching his interview, which is only half over now, makes me like him even more. He has mentioned how lucky he is to be playing for a team like Pittsburgh.

BB2W
04-15-2006, 08:32 AM
This is the second time I've missed this now... :dang:

clevestinks
04-15-2006, 08:41 AM
It was a really good half an hour interview. Ben talked about being a all-state wr. And OSU wanting him as a TE. He never seems to mention Cowher much????

RoethlisBURGHer
04-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Damn,I haven't seen it yet!

83-Steelers-43
04-15-2006, 02:02 PM
He never seems to mention Cowher much????

Or the fans for that matter.

Midnightwriter1
04-15-2006, 02:42 PM
If he was wanting to be a 300 yards per game passer then he better plan on having a very very high completion percentage. 15 yards per reception lol

BigSteelThrill
04-15-2006, 03:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/CMI

top left, 3 parts

(java script, so no direct link)

clevestinks
04-15-2006, 06:56 PM
His relationship with Cowher worries me, especially if he wants to throw and Cowher wants to run.

OX1947
04-15-2006, 06:57 PM

I seriously do not think Big Ben and Cowher have any kind of relationship outside practice and Sunday games. You can just tell when you see Cowher talking to him, Ben is stand offish and almost seems like he doesnt care what he is saying. It looks alot like Reeves and Elway when they were going through their thing. This is the first time Cowher has had a Qb who doesnt need to be fit into a system in order not to make mistakes. Ben is in a system that has been ok for his first two years but you can tell Ben will want to have the say in how the offense goes from here on out.

It will be interesting in the next couple of years how Big Ben takes control. I think in order to really get the true talents of the team out, gotta play a Denver style game like in the late 90's with Elway and Shanahan changing his philospohy do to the type of players he had.

83-Steelers-43
04-15-2006, 09:29 PM
For me, Cowher's relationship with Ben has always been in question ever since the whole "motrocycle" incident. The conversation between the two in the media was not exactly smooth sailing. Yeah, they hugged during the playoffs and SB, but I was always skeptical personally. I just find it odd that he never brings up the fans during interviews, that's all.

Stlrs4Life
04-15-2006, 10:12 PM
They are showing it again tommorrow (Sun) at 4:30pm.

siss
04-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Ive heard him comment about the fans and how he loves us.
This isnt a direct quote but he said something like " i love our fans because they love there steelrs." Or something along those lines. And I think after the super bowl he said something about it not hitting him until the parade seeing all the fans.

And we love him back....A LOT (or at least I do)

clevestinks
04-16-2006, 11:43 AM
For me, Cowher's relationship with Ben has always been in question ever since the whole "motrocycle" incident. The conversation between the two in the media was not exactly smooth sailing. Yeah, they hugged during the playoffs and SB, but I was always skeptical personally. I just find it odd that he never brings up the fans during interviews, that's all.
That and the toe injury last year when both had difference of opinions on it. Is this a worry for anyone other than me???

83-Steelers-43
04-16-2006, 11:49 AM
That and the toe injury last year when both had difference of opinions on it. Is this a worry for anyone other than me???

Well, they won a Super Bowl with an assuming rocky relationship. Obviously you would like to think your QB and head coach get along and everything is fine, but it's been proven in all sports that a certain coach and a certain player do not have to like each other in order to win. Look no further than Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw. That's going on the assumption that Ben and Cowher are not exactly buddy/buddy. As long as it's controlled with a "I'll do my job and you do yours" type of mentality which they seemed to have accomplished it doesn't really worry me.

desertsteel
04-16-2006, 03:28 PM
He didn't mention Mel Blount either. Dang, what kind of Steeler and human being is he anyway?!?!?!?!?:dang:

Midnightwriter1
04-16-2006, 04:13 PM
No offense to Big Ben lovers, but i dont give a crap what Ben wants. Whatever cowher thinks is best is what i will go with. I am biased in my opinion on coach Cowher, but he is one of the most successful coaches in NFL history. I really dont feel there is a problem between the two really. Ben is young and as any young guy he prolly feels he knows everything which we all do when we are in our early twenties lol Dan Marino would trade all of his personal accomplishments for that 1 SuperBowl win I am sure. As far as his comment of wanting to throw for 300 yards a game... i would of had him said something like .. I just want to win each game we play rather than his personal yardage. Every QB would love to throw on every down, just like arunning bakc would loe to carry the ball 35 times a game or a receiver get 15 catches a game. I dont think is aything to worry about, but Ben sometimes worries me cause i think he gets a lil too big for his britches. Good thing we dont rely on his passing only or else we surely would not have had the success that he have had. He is good in some games and others he just looks really bad so i dont think he should be really saying a whole lot just yet about how the offense is called.

83-Steelers-43
04-16-2006, 04:44 PM
He didn't mention Mel Blount either. Dang, what kind of Steeler and human being is he anyway?!?!?!?!?:dang:

I'm not jumping on the guy, I could careless who he mentions personally, was just simply pointing out a personal observation. As long as he throws TD's and wins games, I don't give a $&@! who he talks about.

clevestinks
04-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, they won a Super Bowl with an assuming rocky relationship. Obviously you would like to think your QB and head coach get along and everything is fine, but it's been proven in all sports that a certain coach and a certain player do not have to like each other in order to win. Look no further than Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw. That's going on the assumption that Ben and Cowher are not exactly buddy/buddy. As long as it's controlled with a "I'll do my job and you do yours" type of mentality which they seemed to have accomplished it doesn't really worry me.
I understand, but it seems Ben want tp throw a hell of alot more. And Cowher has never had that oppurtunity to throw with a QB like Ben. Will Cowher change? He seems to be letting Bens weapons go, Plax and El, instead of upgrading in these areas?

desertsteel
04-16-2006, 08:18 PM
There is such a thing in the business world known is CREATIVE FRICTION. It tends to keep people on their toes and if harnassed, can be potent. Let's hope Cowher is an effective manager of this mindset of Ben's. I think he will and there will be give and take on both sides. I look for Ben to throw 25-30 times a game and average 225 yards a game. No doubt, he'll get 20 this year! Would have last year if not injured.

83-Steelers-43
04-17-2006, 03:57 PM
double post, sorry.

83-Steelers-43
04-17-2006, 03:57 PM
I understand, but it seems Ben want tp throw a hell of alot more. And Cowher has never had that oppurtunity to throw with a QB like Ben. Will Cowher change? He seems to be letting Bens weapons go, Plax and El, instead of upgrading in these areas?

While I see no problem with Ben stating he wants to throw more, hopefully he only decides to bring it up in interviews when asked and not pushing the agenda to the point where it becomes an annoyance or a problem with Cowher and the FO in general. They call the shots, not Ben. Personally, I would like to see a 50/50 pass to rush ratio for this team with a top notch WR opposite of Hines. I like balance.

tony hipchest
04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
moreso than ben stating that he wants all the numbers and stats, i think he was just wanting to remove the stigma that he CANT put up those numbers. many people think he is incapable of being that type of qb, and he is confident enough of his skills to know he can be any type of qb that is asked of him. hes just out to prove all the naysayers wrong, not a personal agenda to inflate his stats. he wants the coaches and team mates to have the confidence in him that he can do it when called upon. while i know he would like to be better than t. aikman im sure he wouldnt mind a hall of fame career without all the 300 yd games. 28-4 hes all about the winning. as stated in the interview it was HIS decision to put off surgery and bite the bullet til the end of the season. he didnt want to let anyone down.

Suitanim
04-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I like what Midnight had to say...

But if Ben wants to have 300 yard games, he's gonna need some receivers to throw to. Ward won't be around forever, and the depth chart takes a serious talent nose dive at WR after #86.

We need at least 1 or 2 legit possible #1 WR candidates at training camp in the next year or two, or we risk losing our QB as well.

83-Steelers-43
04-17-2006, 04:57 PM

But if Ben wants to have 300 yard games, he's gonna need some receivers to throw to. Ward won't be around forever, and the depth chart takes a serious talent nose dive at WR after #86.

We need at least 1 or 2 legit possible #1 WR candidates at training camp in the next year or two, or we risk losing our QB as well.

Amen to that brother.

tony hipchest
04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
it sucks we get all these compensentory draftpicks in a year where the wr position isnt that great and relatively thin. with all starters (except ike) signed for 2 years we will not have any after next season. steelers could try to do something creative like trade out of #32 for a 1st pick next year and package some picks to move up to a high 2nd. maybe like 40th or something.

just one of many possibilities.

83-Steelers-43
04-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Figured this wasn't worth starting a new thread so I will post it in this thread. For those interested in Ben's offseason........

Roethlisberger happy to be working out
Monday, April 17, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Many Steelers players are working out on a regular basis at the team's practice facility, hitting the weight room, taking part in yoga classes and workouts that help with foot and hand speed.

One player who has been a regular in the voluntary conditioning program is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger took part in the workouts on occasion last season, but by his own admission was letting outside distractions be too much of a focus.

"Last year in the off-season I felt like I was getting pulled in every different direction," he said. "I was trying to do way too many things.

"This year I have really toned it down. I have only done the things I have wanted to do."

And it's paying off for him. Roethlisberger has had the chance to spend more time with his teammates during this off-season and is enjoying the time.

"It's been more relaxing and more fun," said Roethlisberger, who will take a break from the workouts when he visits Switzerland with his family in May. "I have been able to be in Pittsburgh and work out and be around the guys and have fun. This off-season has been a lot more relaxing and a lot better for me than last off-season was"

With Jerome Bettis retiring, Roethlisberger is being looked at by some to help pick some of the leadership role on offense. Alan Faneca and Hines Ward are two veteran leaders who are well-respected by their teammates, but Roethlisberger is also merging into that role.

"I don't want to force them out and step on anybody's shoes and take over the leadership role," said Roethlisberger. "But everybody on this team and in this organization is starting to put me up in that role. With Jerome leaving it opens up a spot.

"Guys look up to me as a leader and I have accepted that responsibility as a guy that they can come and talk to and be a guy that is a leader on this team."

tony hipchest
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
i read this earlier and its definitely threadworthy. from the interview with c. meyers i saw ben still had a huge chip on his shoulder, and it was good to read this to prove hes doing more to continue his improvement. and hes doing it to help his teamates improve too. im sure cowhers pretty happy with this and ben knows what he has to do if hes gonna be a manning, brady type team leader. (not that the steelers NEED that. - well maybe they do need that out of the qb position)

as far as my take on wether ben and cowher get along. (from another thread):

as for the helmet incident i think cowher talked to ben like a concerned father would. thats the impression i got.

as for cowher falling in love with kordell, i think that was seen as a sign of weakness and the coach has probably learned from that. he sort of got burnt. its probably a concentrated effort by him now to not show that much emotion for a certain player. i think he cares for and definitely respects all his players, but you notice since kordell he doesnt favor any or even pump any of their heads up to much. he doesnt slobber over any of his players. even the great ones. t. polamalu, hines ward, jerome, h. miller, faneca, porter, gildon, ben, etc. which one is his favorite? hes very good at keeping everything focused on the team as a whole.

ben and cowher will be fine and will have a strong relationship. anyone thinks ben didnt appreciate cowher oppenning up the offense for him with a bad thumb, one week after the beatdown in indy? i think theres mutual trust there and cowher is too smart not to know what he has in ben.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2998&highlight=cowher+falling+love
(for context)

clevestinks
04-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Thats what worries me, that Cowher isnt giving him alot of great targets, instead he is losing targets, maybe Cowher is just trying to stay mostly RUN

Mr. Clean
04-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Uh, I really don't think Cowher is trying to stay "married" to the run.

The Steelers did open it up in the AFC playoffs. The running attack did not produce much, but the passing game was very good. Ben was red hot in the playoff game in Indy. His arm was hurt in the second half, or they could have piled it up on the Colts - there were only five second half passes.

Ben was torrid against the Broncos.

Granted, Ben did not play a great game in the Super Bowl, in terms of stats, and a lot of people will remember this, but who cares?

The important thing, as pointed out, is to develop some more receivers so Ben has some weapons. Maybe Nate Washinton will be a good WR, but nobody knows right now. Ben wanted to keep Plex and Randle El. Pittsburgh won without them - Randle El is not a great WR, anyway, but Pittsburgh needs some new blood at WR.

tony hipchest
04-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Uh, I really don't think Cowher is trying to stay "married" to the run.

The Steelers did open it up in the AFC playoffs. The running attack did not produce much, but the passing game was very good. Ben was red hot in the playoff game in Indy. His arm was hurt in the second half, or they could have piled it up on the Colts - there were only five second half passes.

Ben was torrid against the Broncos.

Granted, Ben did not play a great game in the Super Bowl, in terms of stats, and a lot of people will remember this, but who cares?

The important thing, as pointed out, is to develop some more receivers so Ben has some weapons. Maybe Nate Washinton will be a good WR, but nobody knows right now. Ben wanted to keep Plex and Randle El. Pittsburgh won without them - Randle El is not a great WR, anyway, but Pittsburgh needs some new blood at WR. we dont know what goes on behind the scenes but maybe ben has told mgmt that, other than hines, theres no other wr he would rather play with than m. nance. maybe the steelers are dedicated to drafting him.

the steelers got ben h. miller. (a pick that definitely showed a change in philosophy, as far as throwing to the t.e. is concerned). we could only be so lucky if this tandem turned out to be like bledsoe and coates in the mid - 90's.

the steelers have committed to hines plus 3 rb's who are really good at catching the ball out of the backfield. i think bens smart enough to not be too concerned at this point.