PDA

View Full Version : Bam! Suit nails a sleeper!

Suitanim
04-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Got this from football.com

Domenik Hixon (WR-Akron #23) measured in at 6.024, 200, ran thw 40 in 4.34, had a vertical of 38.5, did the short shuttle in 4.04, and the 3 Cone in 6.65 Caught passes from Charlie Frye who was kind enough to drive down to Akron after his workout in Cleveland with the Browns that morning of March 4th. Twelve Teams including Green Bay, San Diego, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Cincinnati and NY Jets were very impressed and asked his representatives "Where did you find this guy?."

In fact, Hixon started at free safety his first two years and moved to wide receiver when they were short on talent for Charlie Frye to throw to. He returns kicks and punts, can play defense, comes from a disciplined military family with a strong Christian faith. He trained in Arizona under Warren Anderson who claims he was the best player he worked with this year. Another half dozen teams are coming in to see it with their own eyes this Thursday March 23 at 1:30pm and he already has April visits with San Diego and NY Jets scheduled. Hixon will undoubtedly draw even more attention in the coming weeks. Class act with unbelievable work ethic and scored 29 on his wonderlic.

SteelShooter
04-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................................

But what are our realistic chances of actually picking up this guy if so much interest is being shown in him from so many other teams?

Suitanim
04-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Probably greatly reduced...here's my own little "blog" I was keeping on this site about him.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1635&highlight=domenik+hixon

tony hipchest
04-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Probably greatly reduced...here's my own little "blog" I was keeping on this site about him.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1635&highlight=domenik+hixoni followed this little blog since i first came to this board. i have a feeling finding a guy like this who has *gasp* character in the midrounds is better than maybe trading up for someone like s. moss in the 1st round. hanging with reggie bush f\for total yards gained for the better part of a season is definitely impressive despite not playing for a top 20 school.

Suitanim
04-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Wasn't but a few years ago that we took a "project type" guy, a converted offensive player who had limited experience playing CB at a small school in the 4th round. Fast forward a few years, and he's a probable shutdown corner...

tony hipchest
04-15-2006, 07:23 PM
sometimes the best thing about thes project players is that they havent developed any bad habits that need to be broken down and then retrained. granted you gotta have time and patience with them but thats something the steelers have.

clevestinks
04-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Suit and Akron, go hand in hand

Koopa
04-15-2006, 08:11 PM
here's a scouting report on him from nfldraftcountdown.com.........i wouldn't mind picking this dude up in the third if he's there and developing him for a year or two.

Strengths:
Has excellent size and a solid frame...A smooth athlete with great timed speed and quickness...Is very physical and plays with a defensive mentality...Has good hands...Runs well after the catch...Smart and a hard worker with top intangibles.

Weaknesses:
Raw and is still adjusting to and learning the position...Doesn't play as fast as he times and struggles to separate...Can run better routes...Is not much of a deep threat...Lacks experience and he did not always play against elite competition.

Notes:
Entered college at only 160 pounds...Actually played safety early in his career before moving to wideout as a junior in 2004...A bit of a developmental prospect but he certainly has all the physical tools...Still improving and has a lot of upside.

Suitanim
04-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Looking for seperation skills? Against NIU in the MAC Championship game, EVERYONE knew they were going to throw a bomb to Hixon in the endzone as time expired for the win...and they did.

He was a yard and a half behind the defender, and NIU was playing a "prevent" defense.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Got this from football.com

Another half dozen teams are coming in to see it with their own eyes this Thursday March 23 at 1:30pm and he already has April visits with San Diego and NY Jets scheduled. Hixon will undoubtedly draw even more attention in the coming weeks. Class act with unbelievable work ethic and scored 29 on his wonderlic. [/COLOR]

SO what round are we talking about?

I'm in no way down on smaller college programs but the level of competition is what it is. Will it keep him from going in Day One?

Suitanim
04-17-2006, 08:47 AM
I have no idea...since he was below the radar so much that he wasn't even invited to the combine, his stock is rocketing up, but he was starting off as a possible undrafted FA.

At this point, it's impossible to say, but look at the synopsis.

Big (6'2" 192), tough (played defense), returns kicks, fast (sub 4.4 speed), good kid, and smart, with all the intangibles.

I'd say he could get his name called anywhere from round 3 on...

slashsteel
04-17-2006, 11:41 AM
I am all about giving a sleeper a chance from 4 down. as Ike was a developmental player and he turned out pretty decent. I always say in the draft go production +upside early and 4 on go developmental with raw talent. Noting Ike did have one productive year coming out, and I would at least like that in a developmental prospect. Although a hybrid type of player like in the "slash" role might be a exception to this rule. As in EL had very little receiving background, but being a pure athlete def got him some looks...

Midnightwriter1
04-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Since we have 3 picks in 4th ( if we stay there) we might just take another slash player.