PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Bruce Arians!

tony hipchest
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
i would almost say he is deserving of a gameball. :football:

on the second play of the game, troy polamalu picked off an errant colt mccoy pass and set up the steelers perfectly between the browns 40-50 yard lines.

EVERYBODY knows what you do in this situation. all the great coaches from parcells, walsh, belichick, j. johnson, and even cowher know what you do when you get a gift like this.

even the announcers say the same thing in every game where this situation arizes.

"this is when you take a shot to the endzone and try to capitalize on the free gift".

it is simple football 101.

the WORST thing that can happen is that you give the gift right back to them even deeper in their own territory. this is the perfect opportunity to gamble a bit and take a shot to demoralize the opponent after a previous mistake.

conventional wisdom says its a "win-no lose" situation.

enter bruce arians.

he never does the conventional thing to do. he never does what everybody thinks is the play to call, because everybody will be expecting it because everybody will know what is coming.

for some freak reason, he decided to play the game by the book. lo and behold the first offensive play of the game was a 40+ yard bomb to mike wallace for a touchdown. :tt04:

this is textbook football. by not trying to reinvent the wheel or outhink oneself, bruce set the offensive tone for the ballgame. the browns had to be certain bruce would run the ball in that situation because that is the exact opposite of what he should do or what anyone else would do.

if he can call 3 more sound games like this and rely on the ton of offensive talent he has to make plays he may earn himself a job offer from the brass.

we will see. it was one small step for offensive coordinators, but a giant leap for BA. :applaudit:

Merchant
01-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Also, congrats to Ben and Wallace for setting the new Steelers record for 40+ yard TDs

PhantomJB93
01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Bruce Arians is a genius. He always does what everyone expects him to not do because they are expecting him to do what he expects them to expect them ti think he'll do. But today, he pulled a switcheroo and did what everyone expected him to do rather than not do because of what is indeed expected, and it worked. If we could get him to adopt this mindset for every game he would be the greatest OC in football. :noidea:

Rick5895
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
I must admit, today the offensive game plan was pretty damn good, well done Brucey!!

steelerohio
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
yeah it's a very superb playcalling today...

Steeler4life1972
01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Ok you guys...dont give arians the credit...i do believe Ben called a lot of the plays today...no shit...I do believe this!!

Steeler4life1972
01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
How can u guys not see this...Ben called most of the plays today...no way on earth that arians called the majority of the plays...I actually saw this!!!

Steeler4life1972
01-02-2011, 06:01 PM
But I dont care who called the plays...we got the W and a first round bye!!!

Fire Arians
01-02-2011, 06:42 PM
unless he outsmarts a good defense i'm not sold on him. it was the browns, after all.

with that said I'm happy with how the team played today, we beat a bad team the way we should have beaten them, in a blowout

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Offense played well - props to everyone, including the coordinator:drink:

urgle burgle
01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Today should be forever know as "BA Day," and the world rejoiced!

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
BA finally took the bra and panties off and actually man'ned up and called a good game. Perhaps someone explained to him about going into for the kill.

mesaSteeler
01-02-2011, 07:24 PM
unless he outsmarts a good defense i'm not sold on him. it was the browns, after all.

with that said I'm happy with how the team played today, we beat a bad team the way we should have beaten them, in a blowout

THIS^

scsteeler
01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I must admit, today the offensive game plan was pretty damn good, well done Brucey!!

Yes or your could say that Execution was pretty damn good. I like the fact that Ben is getting rid of the ball a lot quicker and stepping into the pocket first before he runs to the side.

Ben's stays on his feet and we are hard to Beat.

figg
01-02-2011, 10:58 PM
It all starts with the O-line. The offense started looking pretty good against the Jets and looks to be even better now.

LVSteelersfan
01-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Tomlin must have taken over for Arians today. Between that and Ben audibling out of every play call that Bruce called. That can be the only explanation. Everyone knows Arians sucks. We will see when we have to play a good team in a couple weeks what happens.

ricardisimo
01-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Congrats to Bruce. Very well done today. Keep it up!

California-Steel
01-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Can you tell that Brucie has been reading my posts on here? Finally did all the things I stated he should be doing.

Way to listen Bruce. Now keep it up.
:applaudit:

Whodis
01-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Didn't Harry and Lloyd help bring down those bad guys at the end of "Dumb and Dumber"?

great job BA, I hope it opens up better things for you next year (head coaching job)

We were so dominate we started watching the rats on the other TV. The bomb to Wallace just took life out of them, trick play and using Miller on a reg.

fer522
01-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Re: Congratulations to Bruce Arians!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Arians is a genius. He always does what everyone expects him to not do because they are expecting him to do what he expects them to expect them ti think he'll do. But today, he pulled a switcheroo and did what everyone expected him to do rather than not do because of what is indeed expected, and it worked. If we could get him to adopt this mindset for every game he would be the greatest OC in football.

yes :coffee:

Rick5895
01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes or your could say that Execution was pretty damn good. I like the fact that Ben is getting rid of the ball a lot quicker and stepping into the pocket first before he runs to the side.

Ben's stays on his feet and we are hard to Beat.

Execution was better, something else that had occured to me, the offense was much , much, better with mewelde in street clothes. Redman took his snaps and mendy was in the game more. Without Bruces favorite "old toy" the O was quite good.

madtowndrunkard
01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Not to be negative, but everyone does realize we just played a Browns team that had totally mailed it in? Their coach was done, their season was once again, a total failure. So we put up points against the Browns...so what. I think our offense has looked good in maybe 2 games this season. Given the talent we have on offense I'm a little reluctant to give Arians any praise at all. Our offense has consistently under achieved with Arians at the helm. I dont care what happens this offseason, Arians should be fired.

mizzouristeeler
01-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I agree. SB or not, arians needs to go.

Fire Arians
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
fire arians! :tt04:

PhantomJB93
01-03-2011, 10:11 PM
fire arians! :tt04:

What will become of your username when he actually does get fired???:chuckle:

jacksolomon
01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
I agree. SB or not, arians needs to go.

If the Steelers win the Super Bowl, he most likely won't be going anywhere.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-04-2011, 01:54 AM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;887225

we will see. it was one small step for offensive coordinators, but a giant leap for BA. :applaudit:[/QUOTE]

And BA probably covers for BR a few times.

Look at the OLine. We can win the Super Bowl with defense.

We can't win the AFC without the offense taking the heat off defense. Concur with Tony. We are all better with NE on vacation. If that is not the case then BA only needs to find a way to eat the clock and score.

And tame Islam. Good luck Bruce. :thumbsup:

davidtrout
01-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Ending the season with an offensive explosion like that can only be a good thing headed into the playoffs. I tend to agree that it was more about the OL actually stepping up for once rather than anything Bruce did differently. Ben seems to be getting hot at the right time also.

We are a dangerous team when we take a little pressure off the defense. I'm hoping this carries on through the next few weeks.

Oh, and fire Bruce no matter what.

Rockonsteel
01-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I had to chime in on this one, as I have been one of BA largest detractors(that hasn't changed, btw). Today he called a great game. Creative, aggressive and smart. Not very often we get those things out of him. Quick hitting, fast, vertical plays, that put the defense on their heels. Today was the first time I wasn't able to pretty much call every damn play of every damn drive. Kudos Bruce. Now if he could figure out how to be that innovative all the time, we'd be having a different conversation. That is what the team is capable of when the O and D are both playing aggressively. Hopefully, he and DL will keep the same aggressive mindsets in the playoffs. If they do, the Steelers are gonna be a mother-f-ing problem.

And you can say that the execution was better, but to that I will respond that they were put in better situations, by playcalling that was so much less predictable, and kept the defense guessing all day. That makes a huge difference in players being able to execute what they're being asked to do.

Hopefully we'll see more of that. Not sure how confident I am though.

Rockon