PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace Envy

ETL
01-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Just read on Ravens forum someone complaining about Boldin's play this year and how their offense still struggles. They capped it off with "why can't we find the Mike Wallace-es" for our team.

I pinch myself every Sunday to say that we are not dreaming and we have Mike Wallace on the team. When I was growing up and following the Steelers, "speed" on the offensive side was a rarity. We had bruising RBs like Harris, Thorton, foster and Bettis. We had serviceable receivers but never a burner like Wallace. I am thrilled that such a speedster is a Steeler.

TRH
01-02-2011, 05:55 PM
i was thinking about it during today's game.....and i think the most exciting thing i watched develop this year was our young 3-receiver corp develop into what looks to be something awesome.
Wallace himself is just pure All-Pro

Merchant
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Wallace had to change his shoes after that TD... the original pair melted from the heat generated by the speed.

SH-Rock
01-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Sanders is coming up big as well and how about Brown today, made some good plays. I have high hopes for this receiving corp.

jizzballz
01-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Wallace had to change his shoes after that TD... the original pair melted from the heat generated by the speed.

http://www.dailyhaggis.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/o_rly.jpg

Rick5895
01-02-2011, 06:09 PM
What some of you termed as a weakness when we got rid of Santo has now turned into an offensive strength. Wallace is phenomenol and Sanders and brown are going to be stars in theier own right as well.

PhantomJB93
01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
I can't wait to see what Mike and the rookies can do come playoff time when the gloves are off. Will Wallace be like Santonio and just elevate his game to a whole new level when the season is on the line? If you recall he missed out on that opportunity during his rookie year...

SteelerEmpire
01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
What I said in a post several days ago:

Clutch ? New Role For Wallace: Short Pass, Long Run
He's the fastest man in the NFL. Defender's are playing off 10-15 yds most of the time. He's trying to get out of that "one-trick pony " persona.
The Steelers had a couple of games of note this year (Saints and Jets) in which they were on a final drive to try to come back and win games in which the final result was, well - - fail. We know, as veteran Steelers fans, that in the recent past (actually, when Holmes was here) we would have 'more than likely' came back and won those games on that final drive... as we had gotten use to doing it... we had gotten good at it.
I don't know what the play calling was on those drives, but I'm willing to bet that Wallace was sent deep (and right into a forest of defenders) more often than not.
Now, like Holmes had, and as of lately, Wallace is developing another "killing machine" in his arsenal of threats... the "run after the catch". An ability he showed to the max with both the Raiders and Panthers.
If the Arians (and this may be wishful thinking) can design or incorporate more plays to get Wallace short passes AND allow him at least 5-10 yds were he can build up speed, I say he will take it to the house more often than not ! ITS LIKE THE DEFENSE IS STANDING STILL NEXT TO HIM !!! And, at the very least, results in a big play ! ... VERY useful in those clutch, last drive situations in which the team seems to find itself in all too frequently from the habit of "playing down" to our opponents.
So the theme of this post: DEVELOP the art of the short pass to Mike Wallace... the profits SHOULD be enormous !!!
------------------------------
Looks like Arians is catching on...

SacknificentStew56
01-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Mike Haul-A$$ needs to continue doing what he does best which is beating the defense with his speed. I really could care less about him trying to become an all-around receiver who not only can beat you deep but can run other routes just as good. I was a little pissed when Santonio got released but Haul-A$$ hasn't been a disappointment yet.

JCPsteelers
01-02-2011, 07:20 PM
I loved Holmes as a Steeler but two years in, I think Wallace is a better player.

Like how Sanders has played this year too. We have some nice receivers for the future.

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
now they just need to figure out how to get the ball to him 85 - 90 times a season.

sbbound
01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
We definitely have the makings of a nice receiving corps. They've developed quite a bit this year. If Sanders and Brown can make the leap in their 2nd year that Wallce made in his, we're going to be looking at one scary trio. Wards age really showed itself this year, and when Ben first returned from suspension I was really concerned with what was going to happen and who was going to step up. But the young guys have stepped up and attempted to take what they want. Only thing I can say is, dont expect the world from any of these young guns in the playoffs. Its a different beast and none of them have played a single snap under playoff conditions. This isn't a knock on them, but just a part of a young players growth.

stb_steeler
01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Hillgrove actualy made a statement today that Wallace is allready over acheived what holmes has done.......

Pentheon
01-02-2011, 08:27 PM
I love having him as a steeler...quickly became 1 of my favorite steelers. Only his 2nd year, his hands are amazing, speed, great all already receiver already. We need to keep him a steeler just like weve done with ward.

Not to mention we have 2 other great rookie receivers with hands and speed.

:tt04:

ETL
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
A little early but next years receiving corp should be Wallace, Sanders, Ward, Brown, (rookie, Sweed or Randle El?)

ETL
01-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Addendum: I hope ward is not here next year as he has vowed to retire if we win the super bowl!

Third Rail
01-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Did he really promise that? I don't know, I still think Ward has a few years left in him. I know he hasn't had his best season, but he's been clutch and if we are going to have a seasoned veteran on the field, I'd rather have him catching passes than Randle El.

huntingteacher
01-02-2011, 09:58 PM
If we could win the Super Bowl, this would be a perfect jumping off point for Ward. (ALA Bettis) Wallace is the man now, and Sanders and Brown have shown they can play.

GMU Steeler
01-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I would be jealous too if my rival had a guy with a 20 yard receivign average with 10 touchdowns and I believe 8 one hundred yard games. One big question going in to this season was could Mike step up to the plate and replace Holmes, he didn't merely replace Holmes, he as a sophomore player had a better year than Santonio has ever had.. He really is a special player and I become a bigger fan each week.

MikeHaullace
01-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I think he's just okay. :noidea: