PDA

View Full Version : Raiders finish with best record since 2002

lionslicer
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Raiders are 8-8, first time with over 5 wins since 2002's 11-5 superbowl run. Also the first 6-0 record within the division since the new division system was created in 2002.

And Al Davis is thinking about firing Cable... This guy as actually got this team in the right dirrection and he wants to fire him and start over..

Shea
01-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I live in Raider/9er country yet don't read up or follow what is going on with either team, just catch the headlines such as Singletary recently getting fired.

But if Cable the wife beater is getting it done, or atleast slowly climbing the mountain then why fire him?

Al Davis was once a force and a part of what has become history of the league, but someone needs to find a way to get him to give up control of the Raiders and let someone else make the decisions.

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2011, 07:52 PM
it would be foolish to fire him. they've made notable progress since he's been there. they lost 5 of their games by only 7 points or less. :noidea:

Fire Arians
01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
i hear oakland made history today, only team ever to go undefeated within the division and miss the playoffs

firing cable would be stupid, he turned the franchise from a losing team to 8-8 which is a start

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2011, 08:05 PM
i hear oakland made history today, only team ever to go undefeated within the division and miss the playoffs

firing cable would be stupid, he turned the franchise from a losing team to 8-8 which is a start
indeed , if i were a team owner of a perrinial bottom feeder , interviewing a coach , i'd tell them you you get a 4 year deal, i have no expectations the 1st year , i expect to see progress the second year, the 3rd year i expect to be in the playoff hunt or at least not have a losing record , the 4th year i expect to be in the playoffs.

silver & black
01-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it. If Hue Jackson gets offered a head coaching job, look for Al to let Cable go and promote Jackson. The consensus in Raiderland is that Al gives more credit to Jackson for turning it around than Cable. It was also rumored that Al wanted to let Cable go last year, but he couldn't find anyone to replace him.

Having said that, it IS Al Davis we are talking about... anything is possible.

tony hipchest
01-02-2011, 11:00 PM
jacoby ford has been one of my favorite rookies to watch this season.

dude is a human highlight reel.

lionslicer
01-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I just think its amazing how team owners now of days let coaches go so quickly.. Back in the day, if a team was a bottom feeder, you gave a coach a 4-5 year deal, like MoP said, expect certain progress every year.

Head coaches seem to get too much of the blame in this league, GM's and presidents of football operations are partly to blame too.. wait Al Davis is both of those things... Maybe he should consider firing himself.

Fire Arians
01-03-2011, 12:05 AM
^ one case that i always remember was the bucs owner firing dungy for not winning the super bowl. seriously, the bucs were a team that's never even sniffed the playoffs in their entire history and he turned the team into a contender. i think these owners sometimes can be a little shortsighted

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 12:23 AM
^ one case that i always remember was the bucs owner firing dungy for not winning the super bowl. seriously, the bucs were a team that's never even sniffed the playoffs in their entire history and he turned the team into a contender. i think these owners sometimes can be a little shortsighted

Al Davis traded Gruden to the Bucs because he couldn't win the superbowl after you know... having a .500 or better record for 4 straight years after they only had over a .500 record or better like 3 times from 1990 to 98. He paid for that decision later that year..
Owners are just nazi's sometime. Mariucci got fired from the 49er's after losing in the playoffs... Parcells fired in Dallas for the same reason... and it was because Romo screwed up an extra point (special teams coach also fired).
Dallas fires Chan Galley, makes playoffs 2 years in a row, fired for not winning a playoff game.

There's a pattern when it comes to Dallas, San Fran and Oakland as of late... I wonder why :doh:

SH-Rock
01-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Dumb move if they fire him

silver & black
01-03-2011, 07:17 AM
I just think its amazing how team owners now of days let coaches go so quickly.. Back in the day, if a team was a bottom feeder, you gave a coach a 4-5 year deal, like MoP said, expect certain progress every year.

Head coaches seem to get too much of the blame in this league, GM's and presidents of football operations are partly to blame too.. wait Al Davis is both of those things... Maybe he should consider firing himself.

That's what us Raiders fans say every year.

You would think that after watching the Steelers for years, the other owners would get a clue. I've always admired the Rooneys for how they handle the coaching situation. It's a proven blueprint, but very few owners seem interested in it; strange.

silver & black
01-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Al Davis traded Gruden to the Bucs because he couldn't win the superbowl after you know... having a .500 or better record for 4 straight years after they only had over a .500 record or better like 3 times from 1990 to 98. He paid for that decision later that year..
Owners are just nazi's sometime. Mariucci got fired from the 49er's after losing in the playoffs... Parcells fired in Dallas for the same reason... and it was because Romo screwed up an extra point (special teams coach also fired).
Dallas fires Chan Galley, makes playoffs 2 years in a row, fired for not winning a playoff game.

There's a pattern when it comes to Dallas, San Fran and Oakland as of late... I wonder why :doh:

Let's get things right before making wild accusations like that.

Gruden was not let go (traded) because he couldn't win the Superbowl. Al didn't like the fact that Gruden had become the face of the Raiders. Al wants all the credit all the time... no way a lowly coach was going to steel his thunder. Even so, Gruden was offered a new contract, which he turned down, That didn't sit well with Al, either.

Then there is the often forgotten situation of Gruden entertaining the Notre Dame job while still in the employ of the Raiders. Gruden also WANTED to go to Florida to near his family. Al thought it best to just trade him while he could get value for him . I hated what went down, but I can understand the decision to trade him.