PDA

View Full Version : Should we have done it? The TD from ARE to Ward

mesaSteeler
01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
The TD from ARE to Ward, I wish we hadn't done that.

By using it in what have become a blow out win against a pathetically inferior opponent we just reminded the rest of the NFL that we can do it.

I wish we could have saved that play for the playoffs.

I'll grant you that now teams will have to game plan for it but I'd have rather surprised a team like the Cheats with it at a critical time. Now we have forcefully remined all of our playoff oppoents to be wary of it and they will watch out for it .

I submit that using it as a surprise would have been better and that it was a waste to use it against the Clowns.

Thoughts?

wootawnee
01-02-2011, 08:41 PM
So what.....It makes more stuff for opponents to worry about ......

Stlrs4Life
01-02-2011, 08:41 PM
No, cause it will stil come as a surprise cause El could just run with it.

SH-Rock
01-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty sure teams will prepare for it. We've made that play many times and teams would probably expect it.

Pentheon
01-02-2011, 08:45 PM
You know damn well these teams know exactly what weapons we have, their not dumb...just doesn't mean at the time they are ready for em.

scsteeler
01-02-2011, 08:46 PM

By using it in what have become a blow out win against a pathetically inferior opponent we just reminded the rest of the NFL that we can do it.

I'll grant you that now teams will have to game plan for it but I'd have rather surprised a team like the Cheats with it at a critical time. Now we have forcefully remined all of our playoff oppoents to be wary of it and they will watch out for it .

I submit that using it as a surprise would have been better and that it was a waste to use it against the Clowns.

Thoughts?

Maybe but now teams have something more to look at and that play can be changed up to be a run instead of a pass or go in a different direction so I don't think it took away the element of the suprise.

steelcity1974
01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm not worried about how it will affect playoffs...could be a good decoy just as easily. But I don't think we should have done a trick play in a blowout situation...browns started taking some cheap shots after that and I was worried about our guys getting injuries. Stupid that Ben was even in the game on that drive and throwing so much. Hope pouncey is ok.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
That is the killer instint that the Pats and Colts have. You pound it in to them. Honestly i think the pass was going to go to Ben, but Ben seen ward opened when the back followed Ben up and left Ward alone.

Either way the mentality has to be to pound the games home and put your oppenent away. the Browns didn't want to play and McCoy was a sitting duck all game.

WeegiesWarriors
01-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Thoughts?

You answered yourself. That opens so many counter possibilities. I loved that they ran it.

Third Rail
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Mesa, no offense dude, but do you ALWAYS have to find something negative to say after a game?

We embarassed the hell out of them! I even saw someone online comparing the game to bully picking on a retarded kid! We're the second seed in the playoffs! We're 12-4!

What more do you want?

lionslicer
01-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Every single team prepares for the other teams trick plays that they've run through out the year, even if there's a chance they don't run it. El has done that trick play like 3 times this year, and he's known for doing it through-out his career, teams prepare for it regardless. Well if the coaches known what their doing.

jjpro11
01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
ARE has i think 27 career pass attempts, and 6 TDs.. teams all know he can throw the ball.

PhantomJB93
01-02-2011, 10:18 PM
You know, I was thinking this a little bit, but I'm pretty sure teams would be less unaware than you might think to it and would practically be expecting it when El goes in, actually I'm more glad we haven't reattempted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIcx87UeKE

I think this could really come in handy against the Pats if we make it to the AFC Championship...whip that bad boy out of the playbook on the opening kickoff, get an early lead, and ride the momentum to Dallas :tt02:

But I say have Brown do the handoff to Sanders this time, I think having another player return the kickoff would be suspicious.

jizzballz
01-02-2011, 10:22 PM
antwan randle el is the greatest quarterback to ever throw 27 passes... statistically.

tony hipchest
01-02-2011, 10:56 PM
in 2005 playoffs the steelers used el on a trick play that beat the bungles deep on a pass.

3 games later they came back to almost the exact same play and used it to perfection vs the seahawks in the sb.

the thing is, even if you know it is coming, it is very difficult to stop .

pitt0wns
01-02-2011, 11:03 PM
The more plays the D has to worry about the better off we are!

Our main issue is pressuring the opposing teams QB. If we can get good pressure we can go far in the playoffs.

Merchant
01-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Didn't see anything wrong with it. They had redzone problems to work on, and they worked it out :thumbsup:

VegasStlrFan
01-03-2011, 12:05 AM
I liked it, almost intimidating it was executed so well. No secret ARE has that ability, and that play is good any where on the field.

ZoneBlitzer
01-03-2011, 12:43 AM
I thought it was a stupid, ignorant and even immature play-call from Arians. That's a play you keep banked for when you really need it. For me it was a dumb call that showed little class and ingenuity.

StainlessStill
01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Thoughts?

Yes, we should have done it because it resulted in flawless execution and put even more points on the board against a shit-hole of a team within their city. I'll take it!:tt04:

grward
01-03-2011, 09:25 AM
I thought it was a stupid, ignorant and even immature play-call from Arians. That's a play you keep banked for when you really need it. For me it was a dumb call that showed little class and ingenuity.

It is only a dumb move if our coaches don't use it in the playoffs. I agree, there's no reason to run this play UNLESS you have another slyer, trickier move in the works later on. It's quite possible this play is a decoy and sets up another play later on. I'm sure we'll all be watching. If they don't do something in the playoffs, then what was the point?

BritishSteel
01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
You execute it to make sure it works, and to keep it at the front of the minds of the opposition DCs - not so they can prepare for it, but so that they have to prepare for it every time ARE is on the field - trick plays are about misdirection and they work by misdirection even when you don't run them.

Arians hasn't been the Trick Play guru that Wisenhunt was, and one of the good things that Wisenhunt did with his use of trick plays was to make us less predictable.

biggtee
01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
doesnt matter we will live and die by our D and by BIGBEN and i love our chances with them both!

moedap
01-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Mesa, no offense dude, but do you ALWAYS have to find something negative to say after a game?

We embarassed the hell out of them! I even saw someone online comparing the game to bully picking on a retarded kid! We're the second seed in the playoffs! We're 12-4!

What more do you want?

Retard kids are strong!

FanSince72
01-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Thoughts?

We used the exact same play two Super Bowls ago, so I don't think it's a state secret or anything. Besides, if we're as solid as we think we are, there should be no need for gadget plays anyway, so who cares if "they" know we can do such things?.

Rick5895
01-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I have no objection. The pats an colts continually have piled points on. This shows something i haven't seen from our coaches, and that is a killer instinct and the desire to put teams "away". Doing that and scoring there also gave us the lead we needed to start pulling starters on mass.
For the first time in 3 years I have no complaints about Brucey. LOL>

Fire Haley
01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
ha ha ha

The only ones so ascared of rubbing shit in the shitstains faces have never played football.

Pound the piss out of them and make them beg for mercy.

SteelersinCA
01-03-2011, 01:42 PM
We should have done it twice!!!!

USWSteel
01-05-2011, 04:17 AM

Thoughts?

Do you really think that we as Steelers fans are the only people that know that El throws passes on trick plays ? This crap about saving this play or that play for later in the year is just that . CRAP ! Your thinking is very obtuse. :popcorn:

And to answer your question...no!

SacknificentStew56
01-05-2011, 05:47 AM
I want them to use the play they did against the Bungals when they threw it back to Ben who tossed a bomb to Cedrick Wilson. I would do the play either like that with ARL or have Mike Haul-@$$ getting the reverse and taking it upfield. JMO

SacknificentStew56
01-05-2011, 05:48 AM
We should have done it twice!!!!

And against the Stains it would've been just as effective. Bwaaaaaaaaahahaha!!

steeltheone
01-05-2011, 06:24 AM
And against the Stains it would've been just as effective. Bwaaaaaaaaahahaha!!

hahahahaha!:rofl:

SteelerFanInATL
01-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I think it was used as a decoy. Run the same type of play with different options. Maybe a short rollout to the right with a pass underneth going left. Give the same look with the rollout with the recievers running different routes. :noidea: :noidea: :hatsoff:

Shtillers
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
The whole reason Randel El got picked up by the Redskins was his TD pass in the Super Bowl. No one has really forgotten about that trick play.
My favorite trick play of the season, albeit a failed one, was the fake spike / fade route to Wallace.

mizzouristeeler
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I thought the fake spike was a pretty good one. Wished it would've been a td tho.