PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Ravens on a collision course

mesaSteeler
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
(Mods feel free to move this if you wish. It could in either of two existing threads. I'll let you choose if you want to move it. - mesa)

View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/01/02/steelers-ravens-on-a-collision-course/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29
Steelers, Ravens on a collision course
January 2nd, 2011

CLEVELAND --

Wow, talk about taking care of business.

The Steelers blasted the Browns, 41-9, today, putting them on track for a third game this season against the Ravens.

The Steelers get a first-round bye as the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs, meaning they will play the Ravens, Chiefs or Colts in the divisional round of the playoffs.

That will take place Jan. 15 in a 4:30 p.m. game at Heinz Field.

With the Patriots entrenched as the No. 1 seed the Steelers will play the higher seed of the two teams that advance in the first-round games.

And it would not be an upset if both wild-card teams beat the division winners at home.

The Ravens play the Chiefs in Kansas City where the latter is 7-1 this season but has been one of the NFL’s surprise teams -- and one that may still be a year or two away.

Only a dubious play call or a great play made by Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu, depending on your vantage point, prevented the Ravens from going 13-3 this season and entering the AFC playoffs as the No. 2 seeds instead of the No. 5 seed.

They will probably be favored against the Chiefs.

The Jets may also be favored to beat the Colts in Indianapolis.

The Fighting Mannings won the AFC South -– or were at least the last one standing in that division by the end of the regular season –- and any team that has Peyton Manning at quarterback has a fighting chance.

But I like the Jets in that game and think the Ravens beat the Chiefs.

If that scenario transpires the NFL has its dream Final Four, at least in the AFC, with division rivals playing one another in both games.

The Jets, incidentally, are the only team the Steelers can’t face in the playoffs until the AFC championship game.

My best-case scenario for the Steelers is the Ravens beating the Chiefs and the Colts knocking out the Jets.

That would put Baltimore in New England for the divisional round of the playoffs, and I think the Ravens are a team that can match up with the Patriots –- and yes, beat them.

If that happens -- and the Steelers beat the Colts -- that would set up a rematch of the 2008 AFC title game at Heinz Field.

That game turned out to be a classic.

It would be fun to see what happens if the two rivals meet again with nothing less than a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

bobby jr
01-03-2011, 01:08 PM
OK I previously said I wouldn't post unless the Ravens and Steelers met in the playoffs. As this matchup now appears it may be in the offing, a post has been started on this subject, I think it's fair for me to respond at this time, in order to have time to discuss it before the event occurrs.

I have no problem with the Steelers winning, but they have to earn it. Let's face it, their last trip to the Super Bowl they had perhaps the easist post season schedule of all time. They had a first round bye, then a home game against a .500 team (San Diego), they had the AFC Championship game at home against the Ravens (the only good team they faced in the post season), then they played the Super Bowl against a 9-7 AZ team which had outscored the opposition by 1 point over the regular season.

No such easy route will exist for the Steelers this year. They get the first round bye (based upon divisional records, which I don't really understand being used as tiebreaker, the Ravens have the same overall record). There are no easy marks in the playoffs this year, no .500 teams (except for Seattle and they won't be in the Super Bowl).

If the Steelers and Ravens meet, Joe Flacco is no longer a rookie, and he already led the team to a game winning dramatic last minute TD to win in Heinz Field this year.

And most likely the Steelers will have to go to NE to play the AFC Championship game. I cannot help but notice on this forum that many Steeler fans seem to want to avoid that fate.

jacksolomon
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
They get the first round bye (based upon divisional records, which I don't really understand being used as tiebreaker, the Ravens have the same overall record).

Pretty much the same principle that allowed the Ravens to go to the playoffs last year while the Steelers went to the golf course, despite having identical W/L records. Deal with it.

If the Steelers and Ravens meet, Joe Flacco is no longer a rookie, and he already led the team to a game winning dramatic last minute TD to win in Heinz Field this year..

And we beat the Ravens in Baltimore with the mighty Flacco at the helm. What's your point? :coffee: It's also a safe bet we won't be starting Charlie Batch this time around either.

SteelCityMom
01-03-2011, 01:19 PM
:yawn:

steelerchad
01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
OK I previously said I wouldn't post unless the Ravens and Steelers met in the playoffs. As this matchup now appears it may be in the offing, a post has been started on this subject, I think it's fair for me to respond at this time, in order to have time to discuss it before the event occurrs.

I have no problem with the Steelers winning, but they have to earn it. Let's face it, their last trip to the Super Bowl they had perhaps the easist post season schedule of all time. They had a first round bye, then a home game against a .500 team (San Diego), they had the AFC Championship game at home against the Ravens (the only good team they faced in the post season), then they played the Super Bowl against a 9-7 AZ team which had outscored the opposition by 1 point over the regular season.

No such easy route will exist for the Steelers this year. They get the first round bye (based upon divisional records, which I don't really understand being used as tiebreaker, the Ravens have the same overall record). There are no easy marks in the playoffs this year, no .500 teams (except for Seattle and they won't be in the Super Bowl).

If the Steelers and Ravens meet, Joe Flacco is no longer a rookie, and he already led the team to a game winning dramatic last minute TD to win in Heinz Field this year.

And most likely the Steelers will have to go to NE to play the AFC Championship game. I cannot help but notice on this forum that many Steeler fans seem to want to avoid that fate.

what tie-breaker would you like to see implemented? strentgth of victory? still Steelers. Point differential? still Steelers. I know you like point totals since you pointed that out as an important factor in the Ravens being better that the Steelers in a previous post. How about a coin flip or an arm wrestling match? maybe the Ravens could win that tie-breaker. Just deal with your 5th seed and take care of KC, then come visit your big brother at Heinz Field to get your spanking.

The Steelers offense is starting to click while the Ravens is starting to stink. I like this possible match up more now than ever. I like it even better at Heinz Field.

bobby jr
01-03-2011, 02:09 PM
what tie-breaker would you like to see implemented? strentgth of victory? still Steelers. Point differential? still Steelers. I know you like point totals since you pointed that out as an important factor in the Ravens being better that the Steelers in a previous post. How about a coin flip or an arm wrestling match? maybe the Ravens could win that tie-breaker. Just deal with your 5th seed and take care of KC, then come visit your big brother at Heinz Field to get your spanking.

The Steelers offense is starting to click while the Ravens is starting to stink. I like this possible match up more now than ever. I like it even better at Heinz Field.

Well I just don't see how divisional play makes that much difference. Some of these NFL divisions aren't any good anyway like the NFC West. So Seattle gets rewarded for beating lousy teams with losing records, and they get a home playoff game against a New Orleans team which finished with a record 4 games ahead of Seattle.

Similarly, The Ravens will be at a disadvantage the whole playoffs , And Pittsburgh with exactly the same record as the Ravens gets treated as a number two seed with a first round bye and then home games unless they face the Patriots. just because we lost to Cincinnati once, why is that game so important that it should make that much of a difference.

It is true the Steelers would have come out ahead on points scored VS given up,
because Cleveland didn't even put up a fight.

I think the most fair method would be to put all the teams into two leagues AFC and NFC then seed them according to overall record.

jacksolomon
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Well I just don't see how divisional play makes that much difference. Some of these NFL divisions aren't any good anyway like the NFC West. So Seattle gets rewarded for beating lousy teams with losing records, and they get a home playoff game against a New Orleans team which finished with a record 4 games ahead of Seattle.

Similarly, The Ravens will be at a disadvantage the whole playoffs , And Pittsburgh with exactly the same record as the Ravens gets treated as a number two seed with a first round bye and then home games unless they face the Patriots. just because we lost to Cincinnati once, why is that game so important that it should make that much of a difference.

I think the most fair method would be to put all the teams into two leagues AFC and NFC then seed them according to overall record.

Did you say that last year when the Steelers missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record and the Ravens got a wild card berth with the same record? Again, deal with it.

steelcity1974
01-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Is your real name John Harbaugh?

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 02:21 PM

And maybe making a first down should require a team to gain 9 or 12 yards rather than 10 - but it doesn't

Steelers took care of business within the division by sweeping the Bengals & Browns and the Ravens didn't - emphasizing the division record actually makes some sense, since everyone in the division plays the other division teams twice, as opposed to the inequality of strength of schedule for games played outside the division

And unlike the new rules on tackling there was no "increased emphasis" by Goodell starting in October on division records as a tiebreaker - teams have the same records sometimes and you are not going to get a playoff to break the tie in football - Steelers hve lost out on tiebreakers in the past; now it is the Ravens turn

Bottom line is the Ravens squandered the benefit of beating the Steelers at Heinz without Roethlisberger by coughing up a lead at home in the rematch inside of 4 minutes to go - now they can deal with the consequences

steelerchad
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM

It makes sense because that's how it is and teams know going in that a divisional loss is more important. So if you plan on winning a tie-breaker, don't lose a division game. As far as points go. Yea the Steelers have it over the Ravens and by a pretty wide margin. Steelers-scored more, gave up less and + 56 points vs. the Ravens.
Pats are 1st in net points in the AFC, Steelers are 2nd , Ravens are 4th. Pretty much goes in line with the seedings. 12-4 is a good season for the Ravens, the Ravens are a good team. But once again the Steelers are just a little better, which has been the case for most of the Ravens existence. Hope we get a rubber match in 2 weeks to settle all this without having to guess based on points or who beat who. Line up and see who's better in January. I think I know, I just want to find out for sure.

AFC North Team W L T Pct PF PA Net Pts
z- Pittsburgh Steelers 12 4 0 .750 375 232 143
y- Baltimore Ravens 12 4 0 .750 357 270 87

pete74
01-03-2011, 02:26 PM

i would be curious to see if you felt the same way if the rules were reversed and the Ravens had the #2 seed. did you complain about this last year? doubtful. stop making excuses for your team. the rules dont change, there the same for everyone so its fair no matter what you want to belive

plenewken
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
The Steelers won the tie breaker against the Baltimorons because they swept Cincy and Leaveland and the Baltiimorons did not. Plain and simple.
Don't bitch, Booby Jr, you're in the playoffs with the same record as the Steelers. Last year we had the same record as youins. We didn't make them and we didn't bitch about it. That's the way it works. Deal with it.
And if you want further proof of the superiority of the Steelers, look at the teams stats on NFL.com and tell me in what category the Baltimorons rank higher than the Steelers. I couldn't find any, neither in Offense nor in Defense.
Maybe we'll meet your boys at Heinz Field for their last game of the season? I sure look forward to it.

scsteeler
01-03-2011, 02:39 PM

The Ravens are at a Disadvantage (Please explain that whining Statement) The Steelers went to the SB as a 6th seed on the road the entire way so what's your point. If the Raven's are the best team to represent the AFC then all they have to do is win.

steelcity1974
01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
The Steelers won the tie breaker against the Baltimorons because they swept Cincy and Leaveland and the Baltiimorons did not. Plain and simple.
Don't bitch, Booby Jr, you're in the playoffs with the same record as the Steelers. Last year we had the same record as youins. We didn't make them and we didn't bitch about it. That's the way it works. Deal with it.
And if you want further proof of the superiority of the Steelers, look at the teams stats on NFL.com and tell me in what category the Baltimorons rank higher than the Steelers. I couldn't find any, neither in Offense nor in Defense.
Maybe we'll meet your boys at Heinz Field for their last game of the season? I sure look forward to it.

Reed finished with one more pick than Troy, so they should be the #2 seed.

plenewken
01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Reed finished with one more pick than Troy, so they should be the #2 seed.

They were fined less by the NFL Chief Taliban too.
LOL

steelerchad
01-03-2011, 04:06 PM
The Ravens are at a Disadvantage (Please explain that whining Statement) The Steelers went to the SB as a 6th seed on the road the entire way so what's your point. If the Raven's are the best team to represent the AFC then all they have to do is win.

They had that chance in 08 as a 6 seed. They just weren't quite good enough to close the deal that year. I suspect the same this year.

plenewken
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
They had that chance in 08 as a 6 seed. They just weren't quite good enough to close the deal that year. I suspect the same this year.

That's also what the bookies in Las Vegas suspect. Here are the odds for the Superbowl as of today:

Pats +130
Steelers, Falcons +500
Bears, Packers +1000
Saints, Eagles +1200
Ravens +1500
Colts +1800
Jets +2500
Chiefs +4000
Seahawks +15000

TRH
01-03-2011, 05:33 PM
oh, look who's back and posting in here...................haha

I'd like to beat the Ravens' just to shut Sugg's big mouth. I don't think his play equals his big fat mouth. I really believe we're the better team

Whodis
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Bobby- Why not propose a cheerleading competition to determine seeds. I think your guys would win!

bobby jr
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
oh, look who's back and posting in here...................haha

I'd like to beat the Ravens' just to shut Sugg's big mouth. I don't think his play equals his big fat mouth. I really believe we're the better team

Suggs played very well in the last Pittsburgh-Ravens game in Baltimore, he was constantly in Ben's face. Almost had him sacked right before the winning TD by Pittsburgh but Ben managed to heave the ball out of bounds with two hands. Look for more of the same should the two teams meet again.

Suggs is at his best against the Steelers, he really gets psyched for those games. He was even egging the crowd on to be louder in Baltimore.

bobby jr
01-03-2011, 06:26 PM
It makes sense because that's how it is and teams know going in that a divisional loss is more important. So if you plan on winning a tie-breaker, don't lose a division game. As far as points go. Yea the Steelers have it over the Ravens and by a pretty wide margin. Steelers-scored more, gave up less and + 56 points vs. the Ravens.
Pats are 1st in net points in the AFC, Steelers are 2nd , Ravens are 4th. Pretty much goes in line with the seedings. 12-4 is a good season for the Ravens, the Ravens are a good team. But once again the Steelers are just a little better, which has been the case for most of the Ravens existence. Hope we get a rubber match in 2 weeks to settle all this without having to guess based on points or who beat who. Line up and see who's better in January. I think I know, I just want to find out for sure.

AFC North Team W L T Pct PF PA Net Pts
z- Pittsburgh Steelers 12 4 0 .750 375 232 143
y- Baltimore Ravens 12 4 0 .750 357 270 87

Well the points scored VS given up isn't really the best way because that would encourage running up the score. I'm not sure exactly what method is the best but it is obvious the current method is seriously flawed. When yoyu have the Ravens with the exact same record as the Steelers yet we have to play on the road to teams with inferior records while the Steelers stay home and get a bye, that is too much of an advantage just for winning one more divisional game. One team is a two seed, the other a six seed, with the exact same record. And how about Seattle making the playoffs and getting a home game with a 7-9 record.

That being said the Ravens are certainly capable of running the table and winning every game against the toughest teams in the NFL, on the road.

The Ravens can beat the Chiefs, the Patriots, the Steelers, and then whoever the NFC gets in the Super Bowl. I am confident of that. Heck we almost beat the Falcons in Atlanta this year. We blew out the Pats last year in NE, and beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh this year.

If the Ravens play the Steelers, the Ravens advantages should outweigh the Steelers home field advantage. The Ravens, in my opinion, have a better coach than the Steelers, their QB's are pretty much a draw, the Ravens have a better overall offense when you consider their running game and receivers.

The Steelers points scored VS given up for the year looks better due to 3 blowout games this year against weak opponents but that won't happen in the playoffs.

steelerchad
01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Well the points scored VS given up isn't really the best way because that would encourage running up the score. I'm not sure exactly what method is the best but it is obvious the current method is seriously flawed. When yoyu have the Ravens with the exact same record as the Steelers yet we have to play on the road to teams with inferior records while the Steelers stay home and get a bye, that is too much of an advantage just for winning one more divisional game. One team is a two seed, the other a six seed, with the exact same record. And how about Seattle making the playoffs and getting a home game with a 7-9 record.

That being said the Ravens are certainly capable of running the table and winning every game against the toughest teams in the NFL, on the road.

The Ravens can beat the Chiefs, the Patriots, the Steelers, and then whoever the NFC gets in the Super Bowl. I am confident of that. Heck we almost beat the Falcons in Atlanta this year. We blew out the Pats last year in NE, and beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh this year.

If the Ravens play the Steelers, the Ravens advantages should outweigh the Steelers home field advantage. The Ravens, in my opinion, have a better coach than the Steelers, their QB's are pretty much a draw, the Ravens have a better overall offense when you consider their running game and receivers.

The Steelers points scored VS given up for the year looks better due to 3 blowout games this year against weak opponents but that won't happen in the playoffs.

You guys screwed the pooch in Baltimore early December and that's gonna come back to haunt you. You will not run the table on the road. Your team just isn't good enough to do it this year. Furthermore, you're a 5 seed, not a 6. Are you sure you're a fan? Also, we had the exact same fate in 05 against Cincy. Exact same records, split the series. They won the division record and we were stuck with the 6 seed not the 5. But we overcame it and won it all. Let's see if you can match that, I doubt it.

You claim your offense is better, why? They haven't showed it. Not in points, not in big games. On paper, your offense should be a little better, but it's not. Further more, our's is just now starting to come together, your's is faltering. QB's pretty much even. You are delusional. Ben is consistently the better QB. He has the rings, wins, stats to prove it. You have the better receivers on paper, but they're not living up to it and ours are overperforming. TE's and RB's are a wash and you have the better line. That's pretty even. Far more even than you'd like to believe. The difference is defense and that's where we will outclass you. Ours is just a little better. Throw in the home field and it spells disappointment for Ravens fans again. That is if your lucky enough to win that first game and make your way to Heinz. We'll be sitting at home waiting and resting.

StainlessStill
01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Like I've been saying in many threads, I'd rather see Baltimore or even the Jets again other than Kansas City. A playoff game, IN Pittsburgh against a mirror image team like the Ravens and Jets plays right into the Steelers game and is exactly what we are built for in this time of year against those teams. If the Steelers see the Ravens, I'd be thrilled to host them again because we do EVERYTHING better than them. Always have, always will.

It's a team like K.C who can throw us for a loop because they are the most equipped in playing spoiler than almost anybody at this point.

jacksolomon
01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
If the Ravens play the Steelers, the Ravens advantages should outweigh the Steelers home field advantage. The Ravens, in my opinion, have a better coach than the Steelers, their QB's are pretty much a draw, the Ravens have a better overall offense when you consider their running game and receivers. .

Ben owns you and is far and away a better QB than Flacco. You won't be getting Batch this time. Being a homer is one thing, being absolutely delusional is something else. Guess which one you are?

Lord of Lombardi
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
This Pudge Facker is a joke. What is he 7. Read his posts again and see what I mean. He has zero logic, his facts are completely flawed, he is a joker and not worth any further replies. I live in PA and work in Balti-Suck and those rat sheet birds can't stand their coach, OC, HC, DC, and they are losing faith in their over rated, no crunch time QB. 100% of them would take Ben over this one eye brow shaky jake feet. They think the Boldin signing was a waste... They are actually spot on with all of the aforementioned. We build through the draft (See Wallace, Pouncy and the past 20 years) and Baltimore is realizing what a waste it was to sign (TJ Terrorist and kingpin complainer, Boldin who is now double teamed and Stallworth) (See TO & Choko if you don't believe these are cancers) They are a desperate team and abandoning what truly builds character in an organization. They know we are big brother and they hate it. Their entire team is digressing including the coach. Hand on Stiller fans, we are hitting our stride.

Stairway to Seven brother .... Stairway to Seven. Same age as the kid who posted this.

NoFieldFive
01-03-2011, 07:53 PM
bobby jr....not that points has anything to do with the seeding but you do realize the Steelers were without their quarterback for the first 4 games, don't you? Even the back up was injured and then the second string was injured. One game we had Batch and then El as the back up. You could easily add 10 points a game onto the Steelers' total plus they would have beaten Baltimore if Ben was in there.

bobby jr
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Ben owns you and is far and away a better QB than Flacco. You won't be getting Batch this time. Being a homer is one thing, being absolutely delusional is something else. Guess which one you are?

I disagree. If you want to define "owning" a team, for me that would mean a QB who blows your team out game after game. That is certainly not the case with Ben VS the Ravens. The Ravens actually blew the Steelers out twice the year we had McNair. And one could argue Brady owns the Steelers because those games are not close.

What Ben has done is win a lot of close, tough games, which could have gone either way, against the Ravens. This was true of all 3 of the games when the Steelers won the Super Bowl. All of those games were winnable for the Ravens in the 4th quarter,

Those past close victories, which I consider to be in part lucky wins, won't be worth a plugged nickel to Ben and the Steelers should they meet the Ravens again. The Ravens are NOT intimidated by Ben or the Steelers, the way the Steelers seem to be intimiidated by the Pats.

The Steeler will have to win the game on the field, and I seriously doubt will do that. They already lost to Baltimore in Pittsburgh once this year, with Flacco earning his bones with a dramatic 4th quarter TD drive which quieted the crowd at Heinz field.

and the Ravens offense has matured since then. For example, Throwing out the Cincinnati game (bad matchup for Baltimore) , look what the Ravens did to New Orleans recently, a team the Steelers lost to this year.

As for the Steelers not having Ben in the first game in Pittsburgh, let's face it that was his own fault.

Besides he didn't do that great in the Baltimore game he did play in. . The Steelers scored 14 points and lost 17-14 with Batch as QB. They score 13 with Ben as QB and won 13-10.

Ben was 22 for 38 in the 2nd Baltimore game and Flacco's QB rating was 13 points higher in that game. The Steeler would have lost to the Ravens again in Baltimore, if not for a fluke play when Polamalu went totally unblocked near the end of the game., a mistake which has been corrected and will not happen again in the playoffs. Even after that play the Steelers needed a 3rd down missed tackle on the five yard line to score the winning TD.

So Flacco beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh and he outplayed Ben in the Baltimore game. You can say well Ben had a broken nose in that game and that is true it may have adversely affected his performance. But I'm not convinced that he will do much better should there be a rematch. The chips will all be on the table and the Ravens defense plays great when they have to.

Lord of Lombardi
01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I disagree. If you want to define "owning" a team, for me that would mean a QB who blows your team out game after game. That is certainly not the case with Ben VS the Ravens. The Ravens actually blew the Steelers out twice the year we had McNair. And one could argue Brady owns the Steelers because those games are not close.

What Ben has done is win a lot of close, tough games, which could have gone either way, against the Ravens. This was true of all 3 of the games when the Steelers won the Super Bowl. All of those games were winnable for the Ravens in the 4th quarter,

Those past close victories, which I consider to be in part lucky wins, won't be worth a plugged nickel to Ben and the Steelers should they meet the Ravens again. The Ravens are NOT intimidated by Ben or the Steelers, the way the Steelers seem to be intimiidated by the Pats.

The Steeler will have to win the game on the field, and I seriously doubt will do that. They already lost to Baltimore in Pittsburgh once this year, with Flacco earning his bones with a dramatic 4th quarter TD drive which quieted the crowd at Heinz field.

and the Ravens offense has matured since then. For example, Throwing out the Cincinnati game (bad matchup for Baltimore) , look what the Ravens did to New Orleans recently, a team the Steelers lost to this year.

As for the Steelers not having Ben in the first game in Pittsburgh, let's face it that was his own fault.

Besides he didn't do that great in the Baltimore game he did play in. . The Steelers scored 14 points and lost 17-14 with Batch as QB. They score 13 with Ben as QB and won 13-10.

Ben was 22 for 38 in the 2nd Baltimore game and Flacco's QB rating was 13 points higher in that game. The Steeler would have lost to the Ravens again in Baltimore, if not for a fluke play when Polamalu went totally unblocked near the end of the game., a mistake which has been corrected and will not happen again in the playoffs. Even after that play the Steelers needed a 3rd down missed tackle on the five yard line to score the winning TD.

So Flacco beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh and he outplayed Ben in the Baltimore game. You can say well Ben had a broken nose in that game and that is true it may have adversely affected his performance. But I'm not convinced that he will do much better should there be a rematch. The chips will all be on the table and the Ravens defense plays great when they have to.

And just think when the rematch does occur, your ass will miss it while participating in the special olympics.

steelerchad
01-03-2011, 08:30 PM

What makes you think the Steelers Defense won't play great when all the chips are on the table? They are the better defense, right? I don't think there's any argueing that. Fact is, Ben is 6-0 in his last 6 against the Ravens. Scores don't mean shit as more than 80% of NFL games are settled by single digit margins. Wins and Losses are what counts and your on the short end of the stick 2 out of every 3 against the Steelers. When you look back at the Ravens entire existence they've been a good team, but the Steelers have been a great team. Time and time again, the Ravens are getting 1up'd by Pittsburgh. I understand your hatred. I almost can't blame you. Prepare yourself to be our bitch yet again this season.

NoFieldFive
01-03-2011, 08:52 PM

game #2 against Baltimore - first hit to the head on Ben (one he broke his nose) - if the penalty was called they'd be in field goal position at the very least.

Miller's hit to the head - add another 15 yards and again looking at another field goal at the very least

Ben's second hit to the head when Suggs was trying to sack him....add 1/2 the distance to the goal line and make it a first down.

If the ref's had made the obvious calls on those plays Troy's fumble on Flacco would have just been the icing on the cake.

and besides you know Flacco is good for one good choke in the big games

bobby jr
01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
What makes you think the Steelers Defense won't play great when all the chips are on the table? They are the better defense, right? I don't think there's any argueing that. Fact is, Ben is 6-0 in his last 6 against the Ravens. Scores don't mean shit as more than 80% of NFL games are settled by single digit margins. Wins and Losses are what counts and your on the short end of the stick 2 out of every 3 against the Steelers. When you look back at the Ravens entire existence they've been a good team, but the Steelers have been a great team. Time and time again, the Ravens are getting 1up'd by Pittsburgh. I understand your hatred. I almost can't blame you. Prepare yourself to be our bitch yet again this season.
Again, you are kidding yourself if you think those close, somewhat lucky wins Ben has had against the Ravens in the past will have any bearing on the outcome of the playoff game this year, should they meet. It's not like he has played particularly well or dominated the Ravens recently. Counting those two times he was blown out when McNair was here, he's probably been outscored by the Ravens starting with that year, when you add up the points. Anyway it is not like he has the Ravens number, the way that Brady and the Pats have the Steelers number.

I have watched NFL football for many years and I can tell you that a blowout win will serve to intimidate an opponent and also means that a similar outcome is likely in the next meeting. You can see that when the Pats meet the Steelers.

Not so with close wins. They have little to no affect on the next meeting between two teams. Hence the Steelers have not dominated the Ravens even though they beat them 3 times in close games in 2008. The teams have split their games since then, with the Ravens slightly outplaying the Steelers in the last two years in their head to head matchups (leading most of the game, etc).

jacksolomon
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
He has zero logic, his facts are completely flawed, he is a joker and not worth any further replies.

You're right. The mouthbreathing homer troll really isn't worth the keystrokes at this point.

SteelersinCA
01-03-2011, 10:28 PM
This Baltimoron is back?? Didn't he say he wouldn't be back? Tim Lumber is that you?

Fire Arians
01-03-2011, 10:40 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing the ravens, but a part of me wants brady and the pats. we need to get that monkey off our back.

MasterOfPuppets
01-03-2011, 10:52 PM
for some reason i got a feeling that BJ wouldn't be here crying about the playoff format had the ratbirds won the division under the same circumstances,
BUT , none the less it is hilarious that he chooses to come to a steeler board to do his crying , like he's going to get some kind of ratbird sympathy out of us...:toofunny:

steelers33
01-04-2011, 12:30 AM

If the Ravens play the Steelers, the Ravens advantages should outweigh the Steelers
home field advantage. The Ravens, in my opinion, have a better coach than the Steelers, their QB's are pretty much a draw, the Ravens have a better overall offense when you consider their running game and receivers.

The Steelers points scored VS given up for the year looks better due to 3 blowout
games this year against weak opponents but that won't happen in the playoffs.

Lol Bobby you are so delusional it is actually funny. Hell, I would be better two if my biggest rival is the most succesfull franchise in the NFL, and have won the most Superbowls in history. You're head is so far up your ass that you think the Ravens are better than the Steelers that I would break down each group of players just to prove how stupid you are.
We will start on defense. We'll start with defensive
line. The steelers as a unit have a better defensive
line than the Ravens. While Ngata is a very good
player for you guys, we have a better unit as a
whole. Casey Hampton is head and shoulders better
than Kelly Gregg. Brett Kiesel is head and
shoulders better than Redding. Both Kiesel and
Hampton were named pro bowl alternates. Also we
should get back one of the most underrated
defensive ends in the game for the playoffs, Aaron
Smith. Also, second year DE Ziggy Hood has
progressed nicely for the Steelers. Now onto
linebackers. The Steelers have the best linebackers
in football. In fact, it is not even close. Sure you
guys have Suggs, but Harrison is better than
Suggs. Harrison is the most complete outside linebacker in the game. And add in Woodley who is
also one of the top OLB in the game. On top of that,
Lawrence Timmons is better than Ray Lewis. Yes I
said it. While Ray Lewis is a great yet hated hall of
famer to us, he has lost a step. He made it to the
pro bowl on his name alone. While Timmons is one
of the most athletic linebackers in the game, who is
capable of covering slot receivers. Also throw in
Farrior, who is old, but has had one of his best
years in a while. On to the secondary. We have a
better secondary than the Ravens. Polumula is better than Ed Reed, Clark is a solid starter who is a pro bowl alternate for us, while Ike Taylor is one of the most underrated corners in the game. We have the best defense in the game hands down, it is a fluke San Diego is ahead of us(play against crappy AFC west and not even make playoffs.) Plus we have one of the best run defenses in history. On to offense. Start with the offensive line. I'll give the Ravens a better o-line than the Steelers, but it is closer than you think. How could the ravens only score 13 points on a banged up Bungles team? While our o-line has been taking care of business the past few weeks. Yes LT is a problem because of the injury of Starks, but we do have talent. We have outstanding pro bowl rookie center Maurkice Pouncey. With that we have veteran pro bowler Flozell Adams, who has been suprisingly steady at RT this season. On to the skill positions. We have one of the best young skill position players in the game so I think we get the nod. For running backs I think they are even. Rice is good and Mendenhall is good and they have had very similar statistical seasons. As for wide receivers I thinks we got the advantage. We have the most dangerous and fastest wide receiver in the game in Mike Wallace. While we have tough nosed Hall of Fame bound WR Hines Ward. On top of that, we have the best rookie WR duo in the league in Emmanual Sanders and Antonio Brown. While the Ravens are solid with Derrick Mason and Boldin, we have too much speed and talent at the receiver position that our offensive cordinator should take advantage of more often. As for tight ends, this is clos On top of that it is not even close at quarterback. When you said that the two quarterbacks were equal I laughed out loud at your stupidity. Your quarterback has not proven anything in the playoffs, and I think he is very overrated. He is good at throwing one hoppers though on the final drive of a football game. While we have a quarterback that is one of the most clutch in the league, and is considered a top 5 quarterback. As for special teams both are very close, Ravens have pro bowl kicker while we have a kicker that has only missed once on the season. I'll give that advantage to you because a returned kick off lost us a game this year. As for coaches. Ravens have a better offensive coordinater while the Steelers have a better defensive coordinator. Head coach advantage is close, but I'll go with Tomlin because he's a proven motivator and Super Bowl winner. As for franchise model advantage once again Steelers. While the Ravens are a good franchise, the Steelers have been the model for franchise excellency for the past forty years. While you team is respectable please get real that they are not as talented, consistent, and succesfull as the Steelers

Need4Sweed
01-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Again, you are kidding yourself if you think those close, somewhat lucky wins Ben has had against the Ravens in the past will have any bearing on the outcome of the playoff game this year, should they meet. It's not like he has played particularly well or dominated the Ravens recently. Counting those two times he was blown out when McNair was here, he's probably been outscored by the Ravens starting with that year, when you add up the points. Anyway it is not like he has the Ravens number, the way that Brady and the Pats have the Steelers number.

I have watched NFL football for many years and I can tell you that a blowout win will serve to intimidate an opponent and also means that a similar outcome is likely in the next meeting. You can see that when the Pats meet the Steelers.

Not so with close wins. They have little to no affect on the next meeting between two teams. Hence the Steelers have not dominated the Ravens even though they beat them 3 times in close games in 2008. The teams have split their games since then, with the Ravens slightly outplaying the Steelers in the last two years in their head to head matchups (leading most of the game, etc).

Bobby here are some facts: 1. Ben owns you guys FACT
2. 2 SB's in 5yrs FACT
3. Ben is a better qb than the Uni brow FACT
4. Your owner admitted to the B-more fans and media
that he wanted to model his franchise after the
Steelers FACT

The Ravens are, and always will be little brother. Now and forever. Take your ball, twisted logic and go home. I'll spare the statistics for you will only twist and flip them to fit your Ravens loving view...while ignoring all else.

steelers33
01-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Adding tight ends: Heath Miller is better than Todd Heap. Heap is good, but Miller is most underrated complete tight end in the game. As for the Ravens outplaying us I don't think so. They outplayed us so bad, they needed a late TD to cap a comeback win against us without our most important player, our starting two time Super Bowl winning quaterback. Also they beat us once last year when we didn't have our most important defensive player Troy P. What happened the last time you guys faced us full force. Oh yeah we beat you THREE times and won a Super Bowl. The Ravens have nothing on the Steelers lol I'll be laughing once we got number 7 beating the Ravens yet again.

jjpro11
01-04-2011, 12:53 AM
worry about the Chiefs you ****ing tool. you're D isn't what it used to be. the Chiefs have a very explosive offense when they play focused.

steelers33
01-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Lol why is Bobby in this forum trying to argue with his inferior team. Lol,what a ****ing loser. He feels so bitter that the Steelers are better than his team, to the point where he has to go on a Steelers fan forum and say they got lucky. God this guy is truly a pathetic Maryland slob who is pathetic in his life that he feels the need to take the time to go to another teams fan forum. And on top of that, that team owns his team, Baltimore is our little brother while Cincy and Cleveland is out little daughter. Lol see you again when you complain the we got lucky when we beat little brother yet again, you pathetic loser.

bobby jr
01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Lol why is Bobby in this forum trying to argue with his inferior team. Lol,what a ****ing loser. He feels so bitter that the Steelers are better than his team, to the point where he has to go on a Steelers fan forum and say they got lucky. God this guy is truly a pathetic Maryland slob who is pathetic in his life that he feels the need to take the time to go to another teams fan forum. And on top of that, that team owns his team, Baltimore is our little brother while Cincy and Cleveland is out little daughter. Lol see you again when you complain the we got lucky when we beat little brother yet again, you pathetic loser.

If you wish to discuss football on a mature level fine, but I won't waste my time exchanging personal insults. As if everyone who posts on another teams forum is a "pathetic loser". I post on the Ravens forum too and there are Steeler fans who have posted there, are they "pathetic losers" too? I think they are treated more fairly there, Ravens fans generally are that way.

bobby jr
01-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Lol Bobby you are so delusional it is actually funny. Hell, I would be better two if my biggest rival is the most succesfull franchise in the NFL, and have won the most Superbowls in history. You're head is so far up your ass that you think the Ravens are better than the Steelers that I would break down each group of players just to prove how stupid you are.
We will start on defense. We'll start with defensive
line. The steelers as a unit have a better defensive
line than the Ravens. While Ngata is a very good
player for you guys, we have a better unit as a
whole. Casey Hampton is head and shoulders better
than Kelly Gregg. Brett Kiesel is head and
shoulders better than Redding. Both Kiesel and
Hampton were named pro bowl alternates. Also we
should get back one of the most underrated
defensive ends in the game for the playoffs, Aaron
Smith. Also, second year DE Ziggy Hood has
progressed nicely for the Steelers. Now onto
linebackers. The Steelers have the best linebackers
in football. In fact, it is not even close. Sure you
guys have Suggs, but Harrison is better than
Suggs. Harrison is the most complete outside linebacker in the game. And add in Woodley who is
also one of the top OLB in the game. On top of that,
Lawrence Timmons is better than Ray Lewis. Yes I
said it. While Ray Lewis is a great yet hated hall of
famer to us, he has lost a step. He made it to the
pro bowl on his name alone. While Timmons is one
of the most athletic linebackers in the game, who is
capable of covering slot receivers. Also throw in
Farrior, who is old, but has had one of his best
years in a while. On to the secondary. We have a
better secondary than the Ravens. Polumula is better than Ed Reed, Clark is a solid starter who is a pro bowl alternate for us, while Ike Taylor is one of the most underrated corners in the game. We have the best defense in the game hands down, it is a fluke San Diego is ahead of us(play against crappy AFC west and not even make playoffs.) Plus we have one of the best run defenses in history. On to offense. Start with the offensive line. I'll give the Ravens a better o-line than the Steelers, but it is closer than you think. How could the ravens only score 13 points on a banged up Bungles team? While our o-line has been taking care of business the past few weeks. Yes LT is a problem because of the injury of Starks, but we do have talent. We have outstanding pro bowl rookie center Maurkice Pouncey. With that we have veteran pro bowler Flozell Adams, who has been suprisingly steady at RT this season. On to the skill positions. We have one of the best young skill position players in the game so I think we get the nod. For running backs I think they are even. Rice is good and Mendenhall is good and they have had very similar statistical seasons. As for wide receivers I thinks we got the advantage. We have the most dangerous and fastest wide receiver in the game in Mike Wallace. While we have tough nosed Hall of Fame bound WR Hines Ward. On top of that, we have the best rookie WR duo in the league in Emmanual Sanders and Antonio Brown. While the Ravens are solid with Derrick Mason and Boldin, we have too much speed and talent at the receiver position that our offensive cordinator should take advantage of more often. As for tight ends, this is clos On top of that it is not even close at quarterback. When you said that the two quarterbacks were equal I laughed out loud at your stupidity. Your quarterback has not proven anything in the playoffs, and I think he is very overrated. He is good at throwing one hoppers though on the final drive of a football game. While we have a quarterback that is one of the most clutch in the league, and is considered a top 5 quarterback. As for special teams both are very close, Ravens have pro bowl kicker while we have a kicker that has only missed once on the season. I'll give that advantage to you because a returned kick off lost us a game this year. As for coaches. Ravens have a better offensive coordinater while the Steelers have a better defensive coordinator. Head coach advantage is close, but I'll go with Tomlin because he's a proven motivator and Super Bowl winner. As for franchise model advantage once again Steelers. While the Ravens are a good franchise, the Steelers have been the model for franchise excellency for the past forty years. While you team is respectable please get real that they are not as talented, consistent, and succesfull as the Steelers

I don't have time to respond to all of this, but let me way that I question that Ben is such a great clutch QB. He had a very bad game in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks and the Steelers would have likely lost that game except for some highly questionable calls by the refs. One of the refs involved even admitted as much last year.

And with the Steelers 2nd super bowl they had one of the easiest playoff roads of all time, meeting a .500 San Diego team, the the Ravens at Heinz field (the only tough game) then a 9-7 AZ team in the Super Bowl which Ben barely won.

Also I looked at the QB ratings on Sunday night and Ben was behind Flacco. Apparently this was before the last game because now Ben has passed Flacco I believe, but being behind him going into the last game does not indicate superiority.

Joe Flacco led his team to the AFC Championship game as a rookie, beat the Pats badly in MA last year in the playoffs, and is back in the playoffs again this year. He has accomplished what few QB's in history have done. I guess you guys wish we had Kyle Boller back but that is ancient history. Now we have one of the best.

Tomlin is not the coach Harbaugh is, for example Tomlin can't prep the team for the Patriots because he can't match up with Bilichick like Harbaugh can.

SteelCityMom
01-04-2011, 09:57 AM
See...this is why people call you a troll, pathetic and delusional. Because of posts like that one. You are beyond rational discussion.

There's no sense in arguing with this fool. He's been spewing the same crap for months now, has been consistently proven wrong, but chooses to ignore facts and just continues to believe that the Ravens are better in every facet of the game...despite what all the facts and records say.

Don't waste your time anymore (I know I'm bored with him by now)...it's really not worth it. It's gone from being funny, to just being pathetic and sad, IMO. He's just looking for reactions.

Don't feed the :troll:

jacksolomon
01-04-2011, 09:58 AM
If you wish to discuss football on a mature level fine

The problem is, you don't. What you're doing here is nothing more than myopic homer trolling and idiotic chest thumping. It gets old.

bobby jr
01-04-2011, 01:15 PM
See...this is why people call you a troll, pathetic and delusional. Because of posts like that one. You are beyond rational discussion.

There's no sense in arguing with this fool. He's been spewing the same crap for months now, has been consistently proven wrong, but chooses to ignore facts and just continues to believe that the Ravens are better in every facet of the game...despite what all the facts and records say.

Don't waste your time anymore (I know I'm bored with him by now)...it's really not worth it. It's gone from being funny, to just being pathetic and sad, IMO. He's just looking for reactions.

Don't feed the :troll:

Sure I present facts and I'm called a "troll". Yet when other indulge in personal attacks against other posters, say the Ravens are the Steelers :"bitch", etc. that is fine with you.

I'm not the one calling names here. Even you as a "moderator" are doing that. "Fool" "Pathetic and Sad" etc. This is being a "moderator:? If anything is pathetic, that is.

My opinion: As a moderator you should show some hint of objectivity, fairness, and show the maturity not to engage in immature name calling.

You could also welcome, not discourage, fans from other teams from posting on the forum. Makes for more interesting discussion and different perspectives.
Or maybe you just want this forum to be for Steeler fans. If so then that should be in the forum rules.

To be frank this reminds me of the stories I've heard about Ravens fans going to Steeler games and being verbally abused at Heinz field.

Well I have the courage to stand up for myself and my team . I'm proud of the Ravens and as Walter Cronkite used to say, that's the way it is.

TRH
01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
please go to a Ravens forum of some sort for your "discussions". There's absolutely no reason for you to be here + no one here wants you around here as well.

jacksolomon
01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Sure I present facts and I'm called a "troll"

Please. What facts? Here's your posting style in a nutshell:

"When the Steelers beat the Ravens, or win in general, it's always a matter of dumb luck and happenstance, but when the Ravens beat the Steelers, it's because of their all-powerful, all-consuming, super-duper brilliance and dominance as a football team! WOOOOO!"

(yawns) :yawn:

SteelCityMom
01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Sure I present facts and I'm called a "troll". Yet when other indulge in personal attacks against other posters, say the Ravens are the Steelers :"bitch", etc. that is fine with you.

I'm not the one calling names here. Even you as a "moderator" are doing that. "Fool" "Pathetic and Sad" etc. This is being a "moderator:? If anything is pathetic, that is.

My opinion: As a moderator you should show some hint of objectivity, fairness, and show the maturity not to engage in immature name calling.

You could also welcome, not discourage, fans from other teams from posting on the forum. Makes for more interesting discussion and different perspectives.
Or maybe you just want this forum to be for Steeler fans. If so then that should be in the forum rules.

To be frank this reminds me of the stories I've heard about Ravens fans going to Steeler games and being verbally abused at Heinz field.

Well I have the courage to stand up for myself and my team . I'm proud of the Ravens and as Walter Cronkite used to say, that's the way it is.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

I've told you before, you'll get called out for what you are. If you're looking for some kind of prissy board that will engage in licking the Ravens nutsacks with you, you've looked in the wrong place. You won't find that here.

And it's always great to engage in LEGITIMATE football discussions with other teams fans, but nobody is going to stroke your delusional fantasies here.

Flacco is a decent QB...probably the best QB the Ravens have ever seen, but he does not walk on water. Neither does their defense, Harbaugh or any other facet of the team.

They are pretty good this year, but have problems with 4th quarter meltdowns/near meltdowns that will get them killed in the playoffs. You can claim things like that have been fixed by the coaching staff, and you can make any other excuse you want, but it's an issue. Just like offense is an issue with the Steelers.

You can whine about seeding not being to your liking, but you'll get no sympathy from any Steelers fan. You'll just get laughed at. Expecting anything less is pure insanity.

Now, you may continue on with your Ravens ballwashing, but you've been beating the same dead horses for months now, and don't have anything other than opinion to back up what you type. Pretty much anyone who's been here for more than 3 months is bored with you. You make ridiculous claims, without facts, and when you are wrong you backpeddle and make excuses. That's what's sad and pathetic.

On a final note, you don't like my modding? Then go find yourself a nice fluff board to troll on. I could really care less.

DanRooney
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't have time to respond to all of this, but let me way that I question that Ben is such a great clutch QB. He had a very bad game in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks and the Steelers would have likely lost that game except for some highly questionable calls by the refs. One of the refs involved even admitted as much last year.

And with the Steelers 2nd super bowl they had one of the easiest playoff roads of all time, meeting a .500 San Diego team, the the Ravens at Heinz field (the only tough game) then a 9-7 AZ team in the Super Bowl which Ben barely won.

Also I looked at the QB ratings on Sunday night and Ben was behind Flacco. Apparently this was before the last game because now Ben has passed Flacco I believe, but being behind him going into the last game does not indicate superiority.

Joe Flacco led his team to the AFC Championship game as a rookie, beat the Pats badly in MA last year in the playoffs, and is back in the playoffs again this year. He has accomplished what few QB's in history have done. I guess you guys wish we had Kyle Boller back but that is ancient history. Now we have one of the best.

Tomlin is not the coach Harbaugh is, for example Tomlin can't prep the team for the Patriots because he can't match up with Bilichick like Harbaugh can.

The refs admitted wrong call came on the Hasslebeck tackle. Not the Ben QB sneak, not the PI call, and not anything else. Most analyst agree that it wouldn't of changed the outcome of the game.

Ben is a very clutch QB. If you don't agree with that now you haven't seen the Steelers play in the past few years. Don't let one bad game against the Seahawks in his second year starting change that.

If you think Flacco is better than Ben you have no grasp of quarterback play. That's almost laughable.

jacksolomon
01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
If you think Flacco is better than Ben you have no grasp of quarterback play. That's almost laughable.

Oh, no, it was ALL Flacco on the strength of his 4/10 and 34 yards passing that propelled the awesome Ravens past the Patriots in Foxboro in the playoffs last year! Unlike Joe Cool, Ben needs his running game and defense to win his games for him. :rolleyes:

HAWK
01-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Well, getting back to the OP's topic...I, for one, hope we somehow play both Indy and NE. Time to get that monkey off our back.

Fire Arians
01-05-2011, 12:03 AM
worry about the Chiefs you ****ing tool. you're D isn't what it used to be. the Chiefs have a very explosive offense when they play focused.

yeah and their defense is so terrible that everybody scores 30+ points on them. i ain't scurred. our defense can shut down their offense, their defense can't shut down anybody

steelers33
01-05-2011, 12:22 AM
I hope Maryland doesn't post about little brother being better about Big Brother again. Lol how many times has that dude been shut down time and time again for his false perception of football reality. Okay now back to football. We are talented and should beat everyteam in the AFC even the Pats. No way would we let for the Ravens to come into our building in a playoff atmosphere and take one away from us, especially if it is for us to go to the Super Bowl. We have better qb and defense. As for the Jets, I do not trust their quarterback. Sanchez I think will show his true head in the playoffs this year, and plus their defense is getting lit up as of late. On to the Colts. Always dangerous because of Peyton Manning. But they are not the same team that went to the Super Bowl last year because of injuries and inconsistent defense . Even multiple MVP winner Peyton Manning has been inconsistent this year. On to the Chiefs. I feel sorry for Matt Cassell. They will not be able to run the ball against us. Our pass rush will dismantle that offensive line. Silverback is going to run circles around the Chiefs LT, who rivals J Scott as worst starting LT in game. In speaking of J Scott, him vs underrated pass rusher Hali will be a concern. Put KC defense nothing special, we should be able to move the ball. Now on to the Cheaters. Well we would just have to play an outstanding game bottom line. Anything short, we will lose. As much as I hate Tom Bieber he's a helluva a quarterback bottom line. We would have to find a way of getting pressure against there o-line without excessive blitzing otherwise we will get burned. As for offense Ben would have to have a great day, which he might be capable of against a younger defense. We'll see hopefully we have a culmination of a great gameplan, insanely intense us against the world mentality, and an outstanding execution in all three phases of football. I want to play the Pats, no more them owning us, **** that we have more talent than them we just to hve to put it all together.

Psycho86Ward
01-05-2011, 03:36 AM
You should probably worry about the Chiefs because they've got a ridiculous home field advantage (trust me, I was at the opening week Monday night game against the Chargers). Plus, Jamaal Charles makes any defense look foolish and Baltimore's weak offense doesn't match up well with the young, skilled Chiefs defense. I live in Missouri and my brother is a die-hard Chiefs fan. I know all about them and they are going to give the Ravens everything they can handle.

plenewken
01-05-2011, 07:31 AM
You should probably worry about the Chiefs because they've got a ridiculous home field advantage (trust me, I was at the opening week Monday night game against the Chargers). Plus, Jamaal Charles makes any defense look foolish and Baltimore's weak offense doesn't match up well with the young, skilled Chiefs defense. I live in Missouri and my brother is a die-hard Chiefs fan. I know all about them and they are going to give the Ravens everything they can handle.

That's perfect! Beat the crap outta the Ratbirds and we'll see you at Heinz Field then.

bobby jr
01-05-2011, 07:55 AM

The Chiefs were blown out last week by the Raiders, in KC. The Ravens can play a similar physical style of game and stuff the Chiefs running attack. The Ravens are also an experienced playoff team having road victories the last two seasons. While anything can happen in an NFL playoff game, especially on the road, I expect the Ravens to prevail.

bobby jr
01-05-2011, 08:00 AM
That's perfect! Beat the crap outta the Ratbirds and we'll see you at Heinz Field then.

Wishful thinking. If the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year, they are going to have to go through some excellent teams which match up well against them. Such as first the Ravens at Heinz field (If the Jets and Ravens win as I expect next weekend).

Then IF they beat the Ravens the Steelers will likely have a trip to Foxborough to meet the Patriots on the road for the AFC Championship game. That's right Gillette Stadium , where Brady has set the record for consecutive home wins. (The only team to beat them there was the Ravens and that was in the playoffs so it doesn't break their streak)

Psycho86Ward
01-06-2011, 02:56 AM

Well, I'm a Steelers fan myself, it's just my brother that has had the misfortune of following the Chiefs for the last 7 years. How awesome would it be if our teams met in the playoffs?

And bobby jr, just because the Chiefs had one bad week when they had nothing to play for doesn't mean anything when you get to the playoffs. Matt Cassel has had a very underrated season and I can't forsee Flacco getting anything through the air against one of the better young secondaries in football. Brandon Flowers is a shutdown type corner while Brandon Carr has great stats this season (a lot of pass deflections and a low completion rate when the ball is thrown his way).

The only hope for the Ravens to get anything done on offense will be with the rushing attack and I don't think it will be enough to match what the Chiefs will put up on offense.

Still, I'd go trash talk on some Chiefs message boards before coming here to talk about a possible Steelers-Ravens matchup. Focus on the task at hand, then you can come here and babble on and on about how awesome Baltimore is....

bobby jr
01-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Sorry but the Ravens are not going to lose to the Chiefs. This team is experienced and has won road playoff games both of the last two years. Harbaugh knows how to get his team ready for the playoffs.
Ray Lewis is not going to accept a one and out for the playoffs.

Heck we would even likely have the Bye instead of Pittsburgh if not for a bad call in the Atlanta game.

I'm not one to whine about bad calls but when one decides the game with no chance to make up for it, there is room to complain. The Falcons receiver White caught a 33 yard TD pass with 20 seconds to go and went in for the winning TD. But in order to catch that pass, he pushed down the Ravens defender I believe it was Josh Wilson.

Sports Illustrated specifically mentioned that as a blown call this week in their playoff preview article about the Ravens. SI said it was an obvious offensive interference.

So if the ref had called offensive interference as he should have that would have pushed the Falcons back 10 yards out of FG range with 20 seconds to go with the Ravens ahead.

Now the Ravens still may have lost that game but probably not. And letting a team score a winning TD when the receiver pushes the defender down, that is just unacceptable. I think we (the Ravens) may get a chance for some revenge in the Super Bowl after we take care of business with the Chiefs, the Steelers, and the Pats on the way there. I just hope the refs don't decide the game if there is a rematch.

StainlessStill
01-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry but the Ravens are not going to lose to the Chiefs. This team is experienced and has won road playoff games both of the last two years. Harbaugh knows how to get his team ready for the playoffs.

Heck we would even likely have the Bye instead of Pittsburgh if not for a bad call in the Atlanta game.

I'm not one to whine about bad calls but when one decides the game with no chance to make up for it, there is room to complain. The Falcons receiver White caught a 33 yard TD pass with 20 seconds to go and went in for the winning TD. But in order to catch that pass, he pushed down the Ravens defender I believe it was Josh Wilson.

Sports Illustrated specifically mentioned that as a blown call this week in their playoff preview article about the Ravens. SI said it was an obvious offensive interference.

So if the ref had called offensive interference as he should have that would have pushed the Falcons back 10 yards out of FG range with 20 seconds to go with the Ravens ahead.

Now the Ravens still may have lost that game but probably not. And letting a team score a winning TD when the receiver pushes the defender down, that is just unacceptable. I think we (the Ravens) may get a chance for some revenge in the Super Bowl after we take care of business with the Chiefs, the Steelers, and the Pats on the way there. I just hope the refs don't decide the game if there is a rematch.

Dude, you need to lay off the crack pipe. This is the same team that lost to Cincinnati and could barely get out with a W against a 4th string QB in Pittsburgh, let alone almost losing to Cincy in week 17. The fight is big in Baltimore, I give them that and they are modeled off of physical play. but other than the names of Reed and Lewis, Baltimore truly doesn't scare me with the play of Flaccid and their stagnant offense that doesn't seem to want to kick in gear. If the Ravens play us again, I say bring it on. It's a game Pittsburgh is more built to win and we have the intangibles to do whatever the Ravens do, better.

I'd rather see the Colts to gear us up for a pass heavy re-match vs the Pats. Our D needs to get accustomed into seeing a spread offense that will see their QB throw it more than 35 times a game. We can handle Baltimore, it's the likes of our pass defense get some work in our divisional round if we have a chance going to a place like Foxborough.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I just hope the refs don't decide the game if there is a rematch.

Yeah - ask the Titans how that worked in their playoff game 2 years ago with the Ravens:chuckle:

Another game, another officiating error in the NFL. On a key third-and-2 with 2:52 remaining in today's divisional playoff game between the Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans, the play clock clearly expired well before Joe Flacco received the snap, but no delay of game call came from the officials.

The Ravens converted the first down on a long pass to Todd Heap, and ended up kicking the winning field goal later in the drive.

It's not uncommon for officials to miss the play clock hitting zero, but when they do the ball is snapped nearly immediately afterward. On this play, the ball was snapped 1.35 seconds after the play clock expired (yes, I timed it). That might sound trivial, but it's really, really not. It's a long time. Watch the replay, it's preposterous how long the back judge had to make the call.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Play-clock-was-at-zero-for-crucial-Ravens-first-?urn=nfl-133498

That having been said, if the Colts win Saturday night (which means the Ravens-KC winner goes to New England next weekend) I will be a Baltimore fan on Sunday

plenewken
01-07-2011, 01:46 PM

Put your money where your mouth is, Booby. How much do you want to bet? I take the Chiefs.

SteelCityMom
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM

So it's ok for you to complain about a missed call that (supposedly) cost you the game...but in other posts here, you talk about the Steelers losing to the Jags in the '07 playoffs on a "spectacular" QB run play, that was made possible because of an obvious holding call (one in which the Steelers received an apology letter from the NFL).

Just another example of you only using an argument to your own advantage. Suck it up man.

bobby jr
01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
So it's ok for you to complain about a missed call that (supposedly) cost you the game...but in other posts here, you talk about the Steelers losing to the Jags in the '07 playoffs on a "spectacular" QB run play, that was made possible because of an obvious holding call (one in which the Steelers received an apology letter from the NFL).

Just another example of you only using an argument to your own advantage. Suck it up man.

OK I have heard this before about how the Steelers were held on the Gerrard run. I've watched that replay several times and I don't see it. Maybe it occurred but I didn't see it.

Also I think you might be mistaken about the letter of apology from the NFL due to holding on the Gerrard run. I've searched for that and I can't find it online.

StainlessStill
01-07-2011, 02:17 PM
OK I have heard this before about how the Steelers were held on the Gerrard run. I've watched that replay several times and I don't see it. Maybe it occurred but I didn't see it.

Also I think you might be mistaken about the letter of apology from the NFL due to holding on the Gerrard run. I've searched for that and I can't find it online.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you are seriously wearing out your welcome. I don't care what fan you are, to not "see it" and to not just come out and admit an OBVIOUS holding call on the whole Steelers defensive line, esp on Harrison is an obvious hater with kool-aid wearing goggles who throws the meaning of football fan out the WINDOW. You're absurd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB7jbqP-NPk

Take off your blinded hate for a second, grab a NFL Rule book and watch James Harrison on this play. If you just "can't see it" I suggest you going to your nearest eye doctor and pick up one of the strongest prescriptions available!

Oh and here's the apology article. Obviously your search engine must be as broken as your eyesight.

REF SHOULD HAVE FLAGGED GARRARD RUN

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2008, 1:39 p.m.
One of the most exciting plays of this year’s playoffs should have been called back because of a holding penalty.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the NFL now acknowledges that Jaguars quarterback David Garrard’s 32-yard run on fourth-and-2 late in Jacksonville’s playoff win over the Steelers was aided by a block that should have been flagged for holding.

Per Bouchette, VP of Officiating Mike Pereira admitted that the crew working the game erred in not calling a holding penalty against Jacksonville on the play, which set the Jaguars up for the winning field goal.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin declined to comment yesterday.

Although the missed call was disappointing to Steelers fans, there are plenty of more flagrant holds that don’t get called, and that non-call was far from the only reason the Steelers lost.

In fact, part of the reason Tomlin declined to comment may be that he realizes his own odd decision to call for Ben Roethlisberger to run up the middle on third-and-6 with 2:56 left in the game hurt the Steelers as much as the missed holding penalty. That quarterback sneak netted the Steelers one yard, and the punt on the next play put the Jaguars in position for the game-winning drive.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

SteelCityMom
01-07-2011, 02:19 PM

I'm not certain about the letter either (I thought I remembered there being one), but the then head of officiating openly admitted to it being a blown call.

Playoff flag that wasn't thrown
Mike Pereira, the NFL's head of officiating, admitted yesterday that his crew working the Steelers-Jaguars playoff game erred in not calling a holding penalty against Jacksonville on a crucial play that allowed the Jaguars to kick the winning field goal.

Quarterback David Garrard scrambled on fourth-and-2 from the Steelers 43 and made the first down. Three plays later, Josh Scobee kicked a field goal, giving the Jaguars a 31-29 victory. Several Steelers players complained there was blatant holding on Garrard's run. Nearly three months later, Pereira agreed with them.

Tomlin declined to comment on Pereira's admission.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08093/869712-66.stm#ixzz1ANXv7kvq

*Edit* Just saw the previous post...and agree with it wholeheartedly. Yes it was a missed call, but in my mind (and many others) it didn't determine the game. Missed calls, bad calls happen ALL the time. It's just part of the game. The majority of Steelers fans realize though that the Jags game was lost mainly because of missed/blown opportunities than a missed holding call.

It's a cop out to point to one call or one play in a 60 minute game and say that's why your team lost. I'm merely using this example to show your utter hypocrisy.

bobby jr
01-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Dude, you need to lay off the crack pipe. This is the same team that lost to Cincinnati and could barely get out with a W against a 4th string QB in Pittsburgh, let alone almost losing to Cincy in week 17. The fight is big in Baltimore, I give them that and they are modeled off of physical play. but other than the names of Reed and Lewis, Baltimore truly doesn't scare me with the play of Flaccid and their stagnant offense that doesn't seem to want to kick in gear. If the Ravens play us again, I say bring it on. It's a game Pittsburgh is more built to win and we have the intangibles to do whatever the Ravens do, better.

I'd rather see the Colts to gear us up for a pass heavy re-match vs the Pats. Our D needs to get accustomed into seeing a spread offense that will see their QB throw it more than 35 times a game. We can handle Baltimore, it's the likes of our pass defense get some work in our divisional round if we have a chance going to a place like Foxborough.

If you play Baltimore it won'd be to "gear you up" for the next round. It will be, as usual, a war. One of the best games of the year. Only this time the Ravens won't be losing a close game.

I'll save my prediction until the certainty of a Baltimore Pittsburgh game. But I've been pretty close in my predictions for the first two Steelers Ravens games. I predicted a Ravens win the first one, although I thought by a somewhat wider margin. The second game my prediction for the final score was very close to my prediction if you take out the last TD which was caused by the Troy P. fumble.

TRH
01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
we should beat the Raven's if we play them, although any given team can win any given week. Across the board when you add it all up, we really are the better team.

StainlessStill
01-07-2011, 02:30 PM
If you play Baltimore it won'd be to "gear you up" for the next round. It will be, as usual, a war. One of the best games of the year. Only this time the Ravens won't be losing a close game.

I'll save my prediction until the certainty of a Baltimore Pittsburgh game. But I've been pretty close in my predictions for the first two Steelers Ravens games. I predicted a Ravens win the first one, although I thought by a somewhat wider margin. The second game my prediction for the final score was very close to my prediction if you take out the last TD which was caused by the Troy P. fumble.

IF you take out the T.J Houseyourmama T.D, then we win. Also, if you want to play speculation, then if we get a first down we win that first game. It's football dude, stop making excuses as to "why this" and " why that." Troy made the play, he was better than the 11 Ravens players and we scooped up the football and scored an offensive T.D. Isn't that the point?

SteelCityMom
01-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Huh? Your predictions were very close? You predicted the Ravens winning both games by double digits. :sofunny:

You can probably spare us your prediction of the next game (if there is one). I imagine it will go something like this....

"I think the Ravens will come out hard and strong and take the game away early. I don't think the Steelers D will have an answer for the Ravens lethal passing game (I couldn't even say that w/o laughing) and and explosive receivers. I think the Ravens D will hold the Steelers to a TD or less and that the Ravens will win handily by two touchdowns."

That's been your prediction for both games mind you...that the Ravens will win by two touchdowns.

I'll concede that the Ravens might win (if they play again). There's always that chance when you have two teams that play each other so closely...but I would never, ever be so blindly bold as to constantly predict blowout for the Steelers when they are facing the Ravens. It's laughable that you seem to do it so often.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2011, 02:31 PM
we should beat the Raven's if we play them, although any given team can win any given week. Across the board when you add it all up, we really are the better team.

Agreed - i just do not want to test that theory next weekend

Ravens-Pats and Steelers-Colts is what I see as the best scenario for next weekend

Chiefs would be best opponent for the Steelers but i doubt that happens and IMO the Ravens are far more likely to give the Patriots a challenge than the Jets.

But if the Jets win Saturday night i am definitely a Chiefs fan on Sunday

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM

:toofunny:

Steelers and Ravens have played 7 times in the last three seasons - the only games won by the Ravens (in OT and in the last minute) were with Dixon and Batch as QB for the Steelers

Anything is possible but your team has developed a definite pattern of losing close games when the Steelers varsity team plays - the idea that gets turned around in Pittsburgh is possible but not likely

toughsticks87
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Holy shit bobby jr, do you ever give up? You're preaching to the wrong forum bud.

pete74
01-07-2011, 04:30 PM
ravens will never make it past the Chiefs so we dont have to worry about playing them. Bowe will tear it up and Charles will run the ball right thru ray lewis and co. Ravens were more lucky then good this year. there definatly a decent team but not as good as everyone thinks. we match up much better against them then the ravens do. Taylor on Bowe and we take away the running game as usual and Chiefs are out of options

steelerchad
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
ravens will never make it past the Chiefs so we dont have to worry about playing them. Bowe will tear it up and Charles will run the ball right thru ray lewis and co. Ravens were more lucky then good this year. there definatly a decent team but not as good as everyone thinks. we match up much better against them then the ravens do. Taylor on Bowe and we take away the running game as usual and Chiefs are out of options

You are correct there. I'm thinking Chiefs actually beat the Ravens. If the Jets beat the Colts and we get the Chiefs I don't think we have any problems with them the way we shut down the run. The Chiefs only have 1 big receiving threat. Taylor will cancel out Bowe and Troy will be free to terrorize Cassel with either pressure or picks.

cubanstogie
01-07-2011, 06:50 PM
You are correct there. I'm thinking Chiefs actually beat the Ravens. If the Jets beat the Colts and we get the Chiefs I don't think we have any problems with them the way we shut down the run. The Chiefs only have 1 big receiving threat. Taylor will cancel out Bowe and Troy will be free to terrorize Cassel with either pressure or picks.

wow, I hope you guys are right. My personal opinion is the Ravens sell out and stop the run to make Cassel beat them. I don't see him doing it. With that said the Ravens and Steelers are similar, I give slight edge to our D, and a big edge to our QB. Overall we should win as long as we don't turn it over on our side of the field and don't give them a special teams TD.

bobby jr
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Huh? Your predictions were very close? You predicted the Ravens winning both games by double digits. :sofunny:

You can probably spare us your prediction of the next game (if there is one). I imagine it will go something like this....

"I think the Ravens will come out hard and strong and take the game away early. I don't think the Steelers D will have an answer for the Ravens lethal passing game (I couldn't even say that w/o laughing) and and explosive receivers. I think the Ravens D will hold the Steelers to a TD or less and that the Ravens will win handily by two touchdowns."

That's been your prediction for both games mind you...that the Ravens will win by two touchdowns.

I'll concede that the Ravens might win (if they play again). There's always that chance when you have two teams that play each other so closely...but I would never, ever be so blindly bold as to constantly predict blowout for the Steelers when they are facing the Ravens. It's laughable that you seem to do it so often.

I changed my prediction before the 2nd Ravens-Steelers game to call for a 16-7 Ravens win. The Ravens were ahead 10-6 going into the end of that game before the Flacco fumble. I wasn't that far off. Low scoring as I thought. Who would have thought Troy would be left unblocked like that. That mistake has been corrected and the Steelers will have to win without a play like that Troy if they face the Ravens again.

As for blowouts it wasn't that long ago when the Ravens blew the Steelers out twice in one year when McNair was here. It isn't impossible. It happened with NE this year too.

While it could go both ways It's quite difficult for any team to blow the Ravens out as it has not happened all year. I don't see that happening in the playoffs. Quite unlikely.

After we take care of KC on Sunday then the Ravens will be on a roll. If the weather in Pittsburgh is cold I'll predict another relatively low scoring game when the two teams meet later in the playoffs.

If the Jets win tomorrow as I expect , then the Ravens will be one win away from the "collision course" rematch with the Steelers. I expect the Ravens will handle KC.
You are not going to get rid of the Ravens that easily. The Ravens will stop the run, we excel at that in big games and clutch situations. and Cassel will not be able to beat the Ravens with his arm.

bobby jr
01-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Here is one scenerio for the Ravens:
1. Win at KC, shut down Chiefs running attack.
2. Win at Pittsburgh, as we did in October.
3. Beat NE in AFC Championship game, as we beat them in the playoffs last year.
4. Beat Atlanta in the Super Bowl, exacting revenge for the loss to that team this year, and the "non call" on the offensive interference which gave the Falcons a game winning TD.
5. Start planning the wild celebrations and the victory parade in Baltimore. :)

SteelCityMom
01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
As for blowouts it wasn't that long ago when the Ravens blew the Steelers out twice in one year when McNair was here. It isn't impossible. It happened with NE this year too.

And it was even less of a long time ago that Ben blew out the Ravens with 5 first half TDs. Your point? It could go both ways, but generally speaking...it doesn't with these two teams.

While it could go both ways It's quite difficult for any team to blow the Ravens out as it has not happened all year. I don't see that happening in the playoffs. Quite unlikely.

Exact same thing can be said for the Steelers. Despite the poor game against the Pats, Steelers still led the league in points allowed and PPG. It's not likely they'll go blown out either.

After we take care of KC on Sunday then the Ravens will be on a roll. If the weather in Pittsburgh is cold I'll predict another relatively low scoring game when the two teams meet later in the playoffs.

If the Jets win tomorrow as I expect , then the Ravens will be one win away from the "collision course" rematch with the Steelers. I expect the Ravens will handle KC.
You are not going to get rid of the Ravens that easily. The Ravens will stop the run, we excel at that in big games and clutch situations. and Cassel will not be able to beat the Ravens with his arm.

If you say so. We'll see tomorrow.

stb_steeler
01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
4. Beat Atlanta in the Super Bowl, exacting revenge for the loss to that team this year, and the "non call" on the offensive interference which gave the Falcons a game winning TD.

Its nice to dream isnt it?

SteelCityMom
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Sounds to me like all you're doing is putting the cart before the horse. :noidea:

It's great that you have confidence in your team...it's not like predicting your favorite team to win and supporting them is some kind of anomaly, but sometimes extreme overconfidence just comes off as insecurity (as it does in your case). I think you're more worried about these games then you let on.

finesward
01-07-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm sorry is Ben Roth not playing next weekend? :toofunny:

steelers33
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM

So if the ref had called offensive interference as he should have that would have pushed
the Falcons back 10 yards out of FG range with 20 seconds to go with the Ravens
ahead.

Now the Ravens still may have lost that game but probably not. And letting a team score a winning TD when the receiver pushes the defender down, that is just unacceptable. I think we (the Ravens) may get a chance for some revenge in the Super Bowl after we
take care of business with the Chiefs, the Steelers, and the Pats on the way there. I just
hope the refs don't decide the game if there is a rematch.

Lol are you really stating that call cost you a 2nd seed. The Steelers have had their far share of ref blunders. Look at the Jets were are receiver CLEARLY and I mean CLEARLY got held by Cromartie on the final drive of the game. If the correct call is made, we get the ball on the 1 yard line with plenty of time left and most likely punch the ball in and win the game. The NFL also said this call should have been made. Also this was much clearer than this supposed push off that the falcons guy did. You should really stop posting on this forum. At first I got angry because you were spitting such stupidity that it was unreal. But know I realize that you are a pathetic troll who wants attention because the Steelers are better than your team. Bottom line. To all Steelers fans who read this: do not respond to Bobby's post anymore so he can then realize the pathetic loser he is.

bobby jr
01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Hey it's the Sports Illustrated current issue which got me thinking about how the Ravens were ripped off in that Atlanta game. The writer said that was an obvious offensive pass interference. If that that had been called correctly the Ravens would most likely be sitting home this week with a bye.

Anyway that is water under the bridge, the Ravens now control their own destiny. We are in the playoffs. Some team has got to beat us and I think that is going to be very difficult for any team to do.

If we beat KC this weekend as I expect, well the Ravens will not have been idle for two weeks when we face the Steelers. A bye can help a team recover from injury etc.
However, we all have seen how first round bye in the playoffs, can sometimes come back to bite a team which grows stale and loses momentum. When you're playing well as the Steelers were at the end of the season (esp. in the Cleveland game) I'm not sure having two weeks off is a good thing.