PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating a 12-4 record and the #2 seed

tony hipchest
01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
it is a new year and time for a new beginning.

sometimes reading this forum is like watching Fear and Loathing in las Vegas, except the title is Fear and Loathing in Foxboro Massachusettes, with all the ballwashing and hem hawing about the nfl glamour teams.

screw them.

the steelers have only finished better than 12-4 twice since they went to the 16 game schedule ( 13-3 in 2001 & 15-1 in 2004).

this year the steelers entered the season w/o their #1 wr, #1 kr, reserve running back, and their best offensive lineman.

2 brand new coaches for the special teams and offensive line.

they missed 3+ games (if not the rest of the season) from-

big ben
troy
aaron smith
brett keisel
jeff reed
daniel sepulveda
max starks

a few games missed from hines ward and heath miller, and their fiercest defender was hancuffed not only by the opposition but by the league office as well.

yet here we stand, almost atop of the league. i dont care about all the other teams...

win or lose, nobody is better. its time to go out, impose our will, and prove it to all the doubters.

:tt02::tt03::drink::helmet:

zulater
01-02-2011, 08:45 PM
With Ben playing the way he has for the past few weeks, we can compete with anyone, Patriots included.

Third Rail
01-02-2011, 08:47 PM
With Ben playing the way he has for the past few weeks, we can compete with anyone, Patriots included.

Totally agree. I really like our chances. Ben has been damn near flawless. 141 passer rating today! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!

Ben is awesome.

scsteeler
01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I wondered how many predicted this finish? I know I did. The playoffs are a different animal and whole new season with you lose and you are gone. It will be interesting.

huntingteacher
01-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Coach Tomlin should be coach of the year:
1. Handled Ben's issue very well. Got team ready to play, without him, and then transitioned him back into the line up.
2. Good draft of Pouncey, and W/R Sanders and Brown.
3. Cut Reed, which I liked, but better move was picking up a solid replacement.
4. Cobbled together Offensive line just good enough to help win the division.
5. Says the right thing after every game. I'm proud he's our coach.

mesaSteeler
01-02-2011, 09:25 PM

Plus he's taking really good care of the ball. It's either three or four games now since he's had a interception.

StainlessStill
01-02-2011, 09:26 PM
it is a new year and time for a new beginning.

sometimes reading this forum is like watching Fear and Loathing in las Vegas, except the title is Fear and Loathing in Foxboro Massachusettes, with all the ballwashing and hem hawing about the nfl glamour teams.

screw them.

the steelers have only finished better than 12-4 twice since they went to the 16 game schedule ( 13-3 in 2001 & 15-1 in 2004).

this year the steelers entered the season w/o their #1 wr, #1 kr, reserve running back, and their best offensive lineman.

2 brand new coaches for the special teams and offensive line.

they missed 3+ games (if not the rest of the season) from-

big ben
troy
aaron smith
brett keisel
jeff reed
daniel sepulveda
max starks

a few games missed from hines ward and heath miller, and their fiercest defender was hancuffed not only by the opposition but by the league office as well.

yet here we stand, almost atop of the league. i dont care about all the other teams...

win or lose, nobody is better. its time to go out, impose our will, and prove it to all the doubters.

:tt02::tt03::drink::helmet:

http://www.z99.com/files/u21/beer.jpeg

Cheers to another playoff run! My love for all of Steelers Nation. :drink:

Merchant
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Never imagined 12-4 and a first-round bye the way things went in the offseason. This is a dream come true :tt02:

tony hipchest
01-02-2011, 11:31 PM
i figured 12-4 was a very distinct possibility. on paper i thought the games at baltimore, vs the patriots, saints, and jets would be the toughest and our most likely losses.

of course you can never really predict those times you defeat a dominant team or lay an egg against inferior opposition.

all in all, this season turned out about exactly as i thought it would. (i thought s. kugler and mt. everest were gonna make a world of difference).

Fire Arians
01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
i predicted 11-5 so I'll say they exceeded my expectations. I really like how they seem to have their stuff together in the final weeks and on top of that, getting healthy at the right time. we may be able to do it this year, the pats will be tough though. but as people above stated, if ben keeps playing this well and the line can continue to keep him standing, we can beat anyone, even the pats.

LVSteelersfan
01-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Screw the Pats. They are not invincible. They have more rookies and young players who can choke in a playoff situation than the Steelers do.Their main players besides Welker are two rookie tight ends, a very young running back and some little dwarf who has far outplayed his skill level. Experience usually wins out in playoff scenarios. Everyone always says a veteran team knows what the playoffs are about and we still have most of the core of players we had in both Super Bowl runs. I am only afraid that the coaching staff may get conservative on defense instead of going all out. They need to do an all out blitz attack on Manning, Brady, Flacco or whoever else might be in the picture. They might get burnt a few times but they will "ABSOLUTELY" get burnt if they play 10-15 yards off all of the receivers.

saveus1011
01-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Believe. I like our chances.

SacknificentStew56
01-03-2011, 03:53 AM
Totally agree. I really like our chances. Ben has been damn near flawless. 141 passer rating today! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!

Ben is awesome.

Ben RUTHLESSberger like my 8 yr old daughter called him when we were watching the Stains game. I gave a laugh and told her it's Roethlisberger but he is ruthless so you can call him that. I'm teaching her well I might say.

BGSU A Dub
01-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Definately a season to take pride in for the black and yellow. We could have had 4 losses in our first 4 games without the starting quaterback in there. The new season starts now but hopefully the celebrations continue :tt04:

Rick5895
01-03-2011, 07:00 AM
I thought 11-5 at the start of the season, but I am not surprised by our record. We seem to be hitting our stride at the right time, and I believe we WILL be in the Super Bowl, now if we can just get Mendy untracked we won't have a close game in the playoffs!

steeltheone
01-03-2011, 07:31 AM
I am happy about our play too. Keep in mind it was Carolina and Cleveland though.

grward
01-03-2011, 07:49 AM
It seems as though our team is peaking at the perfect time! I never would have guess a 12-4 season, but I do remember telling a friend that history dictates a winning season ... and so it did.

caseyviator
01-03-2011, 07:56 AM
I THINK WHATS GREAT IS THEY LIVED UP TO THE PRE SEASON EXPECTATIONS.
i think everyone figured they game at baltimore, the pats, the jets, and of course the saints were possible loses....so we did what we should do ,which is come in 2nd so far......

lets change it up and beat the hated patriots in the championship game!!!

3 cheers for the steelers a stellar season so far.

ben is the man!!!!

troy is a god!!

james is a destroyer of men

mike is the messenger of speed

pghfrank62
01-03-2011, 09:23 AM
What fan cant celebrate this remarkable season with all the unknowns to begin with. I for one am really proud of the the team has performed all season. It is a tribute to the toughness and heart of a team that was picked to go 7-9 8-8 or at best 9-7. The record could have been 14-2 with a few yards at the end of the Ratbirds game, and a break at New Orleans. Go Steelers Stairway to Seven

plenewken
01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I would have never imagined we'd be 12-4 at the end of this season, coming off a losing season in 2009 and with Ben being suspended for the first 4 games.
Let's keep in mind that our schedule wasn't the toughest, after finishing 3rd in our Division the year before.
Now, we'll be facing strong teams, and we haven't been particularly successful against them during the regular season.
We have all the offensive and defensive weapons to compete for a 7th Lombardi.
We just need the right game plan and perfect execution. It's feasible.

GO STEELERS!

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Agreed we should savor a veteran team playing above most expectations (I assumed 8-8 or 9-7) and overcoming not only the Roethlisberger soap opera but losses of both tackles on an already sketchy offensive line together with a go to receiver who in hindsight needed to move on - while hopeful this ride ends in Dallas it has been an enjoyable journey so far

Unlike 2001 and 2004 (peaked in mid-season) this team appears to be improving going into the playoffs as Ben is gaining confidence in the young WRs - IMO only New England has a better shot at winning it all

Rick5895
01-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Agreed we should savor a veteran team playing above most expectations (I assumed 8-8 or 9-7) and overcoming not only the Roethlisberger soap opera but losses of both tackles on an already sketchy offensive line together with a go to receiver who in hindsight needed to move on - while hopeful this ride ends in Dallas it has been an enjoyable journey so far

Unlike 2001 and 2004 (peaked in mid-season) this team appears to be improving going into the playoffs as Ben is gaining confidence in the young WRs - IMO only New England has a better shot at winning it all

Yes we are peaking at the right time, winning 6 of our last 7. If we had Heath against the jets we would have won that one too.

As for the Patriots, I made a comment after that game that I felt Coach Dad was playing a little possum. If yiouy all recall we had no Aaron (hpefully we get him back) and just as importantly we had no Brett Keisel. Without those two on our D line and expecially without Brett (he has been a beast this season) we had to play a bit
more conservatively. Brett takes up double teams and allows our LBs and blitzers to come free, e also can get pressure without having to blitz. Something eason can't do. Ziggy has also improved quite a bit since that game and is becoming, IMO, the player we thought he might when we drafted him.
With a healthy Troy, Brett and maybe even Aaron, I really like our chances against the Cheats.

:tt04:

GameTime55
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
I know we can do it but it will have to be with our BEST PLAYERS and with our BEST PLAYERS leading the way and the role players playing mistake free smash mouth football.

Lets do it.

steelerchad
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I would have never imagined we'd be 12-4 at the end of this season, coming off a losing season in 2009 and with Ben being suspended for the first 4 games.
Let's keep in mind that our schedule wasn't the toughest, after finishing 3rd in our Division the year before.
Now, we'll be facing strong teams, and we haven't been particularly successful against them during the regular season.
We have all the offensive and defensive weapons to compete for a 7th Lombardi.
We just need the right game plan and perfect execution. It's feasible.

GO STEELERS!

We didn't have a losing season in 09. We were 9-7. I know that feels like a losing season since we haven't had a true losing season since 03.

plenewken
01-03-2011, 01:20 PM
We didn't have a losing season in 09. We were 9-7. I know that feels like a losing season since we haven't had a true losing season since 03.

You're right, my mistake. I should have wrote a lousy season.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-03-2011, 07:09 PM
I really do think that we will get # 7 this year. And i hope we win the afc at the cheats