PDA

View Full Version : Mendy Running out of bounds

steeltheone
01-03-2011, 07:46 AM
I like the kid. I think he has yet to reach his potential. But he had a full head of steam and just tiptoed right out of bounds. I guess if he were a vet with tons of carries, maybe it would be ok. He really hasn't even been broken in yet. He should have taken the db on and ran him over.

cloppbeast
01-03-2011, 08:18 AM
It's the last game of the season. The Steelers are already winning. He already had the first down.

I had no problem with it. We need Mendy in the post season. There's no sense in risking injury just for a couple of yards considering he already had the first down.

It didn't look like he was packing it in by any means. He was fighting for yards on his runs. I saw him break like 4 tackles on one of his rushes in the first half.

In that situation though, it made sense to run out of bounds.

SteelCityMom
01-03-2011, 08:19 AM
I know what you mean, and that bothers me sometimes too. If it had just been the Cleveland game that he did this, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, since they were eventually just playing not to get hurt...but he does it often enough that it should be a concern.

grward
01-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Franco Harris used to run out of bounds as well. His logic was that it saved his body to fight another day. I'm not saying I agree with it as I love the smash-mouth approach to the game. But why risk injury or fumble when you know you're going to be tackled? There's definitely two sides to this argument.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 08:41 AM
It looked to me as if he pulled up and asked to be taken out of the game after that run

I was concerned he might have tweaked something, as I was after Wallace went to the sidelines after his second 40+ gain on the slant pattern

After the first quarter my only concern was injuries

sharkweek
01-03-2011, 08:46 AM
we were trouncing the Browns at that point, I'd feel different if we were only up one score or even trailing, but in this case it was SMART. If he does the same thing in the playoffs and we aren't up just as much then maybe I'll agree, but otherwise find something else to complain about please, you sound ridiculous here.

Fire Arians
01-03-2011, 09:39 AM
i could understand if we were down by 7 pts at that stage but i'll take a first down run and my rb not take any unnecessary injuries.

moedap
01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Earl Campbell is a perfect example to use for running backs to avoid "smash-mouth" football. Bettis lasted as long as he did because mastered avoiding to many collisions. He had the ability to duck or side step a full force collision. Had he not played like that he wouldnt have been around for his Superbowl win.

MasterOfPuppets
01-03-2011, 10:13 AM
hines wouldn't have ran out of bounds ....:coffee:

moedap
01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
hines wouldn't have ran out of bounds ....:coffee:

Hines doesnt touch the ball as much and doesnt have to take on LB's as much.

scsteeler
01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
See no problem in a RB noT taking unnecessary hits. Let's say he did try to make those additional yards in a game that we obviously were going to win and he got hurt and taken out for the rest of the year!

THE STATEMENT ON THE HIM WOULD THEN BE WHY NOT GO OUT OF BOUNDS AND NOT RISK INJURY FOR THE SAKE OF THE PLAYOFFS AND SB RUN.

jjpro11
01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
i've read that he's been bothered by his shoulder throughout the season.. no sense in risking a dislocation while running at full speed, with the game already over.

ricardisimo
01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I know what you mean, and that bothers me sometimes too. If it had just been the Cleveland game that he did this, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, since they were eventually just playing not to get hurt...but he does it often enough that it should be a concern.
Was it the Jets or the Ravens game where he pulled up on a screen pass because he heard footsteps? That was embarrassing, because he wasn't even going to get hammered, looked like to me. Collinsworth called it perfectly: "My agent advised me not to catch that one."

I couldn't take 1% of the beating these guys take, so I really shouldn't talk. But at some point you start sending signals to your teammates and (even worse) to the opposition that you can't take a hit.

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Bettis ran out of bounds alot too

ricardisimo
01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
He also hit a lot of people, enough where no one ever got the impression he was running scared. I don't think Rashard's there yet, but there have been a few awkward moments.

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
He also hit a lot of people, enough where no one ever got the impression he was running scared. I don't think Rashard's there yet, but there have been a few awkward moments.

Franco Harris also ran out of bounds a lot lol. I don't agree with it, but it can be a career saver. Bo Jackson decided not to run out of bounds and had a career ending injury in the 80's. Its something every running back would regret not doing.
I think there is a time and place for everything. If its mid game, down by a touchdown or only up by a touchdown, take the punishment, but if its against a lousy team and you're winning, why risk your body?

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Was it the Jets or the Ravens game where he pulled up on a screen pass because he heard footsteps? That was embarrassing, because he wasn't even going to get hammered, looked like to me. Collinsworth called it perfectly: "My agent advised me not to catch that one."

I couldn't take 1% of the beating these guys take, so I really shouldn't talk. But at some point you start sending signals to your teammates and (even worse) to the opposition that you can't take a hit.

Getting your collar bone broken and being knocked out for the season in your first NFL start may have something to do with that.:noidea:

There were rumblings Mendenhall had attitude problems until he was benched in week 3 of the 2009 season but I thought he was supposed to be fine since then - maybe he took diva lessons from Willie Parker and was warned about being run until the wheels fall off (which they did in 2007 for Parker)

Mendy has 324 carries (4th in the league - Turner leads with 334) and carried the bulk of the offense while Roethlisberger was in exile - since he may have been playing hurt since early October if he runs out of bounds with a big lead I can live with it - but now it is the playoffs and time to quit taking any portion of a play off

jacksolomon
01-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Franco Harris did it a fair amount of the time too.

Steeldude
01-04-2011, 08:33 AM
he has gotten a lot better at receiving contact. when he first came into the league he was shying way from being hit. he still runs too upright and does that lame spin move, but he gotten better.

the steelers' run game has been putrid as of late. they need to get it going in the playoffs.

SacknificentStew56
01-05-2011, 04:35 AM
I was asking myself the same thing about why Shard ran outta bounds. Guess I was thinking short term instead of long term.

WeegiesWarriors
01-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Average career of an NFL running back is 3 years. Anybody remember Shaun Alexander who was tearing up the league for a couple of years then all of a sudden became a broken down RB (maybe out of the league now for all I know). I have no problem seeing him run out of bounds. Like somebody else said there is a time and place for everything, and fighting for an extra 5 yards against the Stains... up by 3 TDs (or whatever it was at that time)... after getting a first down anyways is not something I care about.

mizzouristeeler
01-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Wasn't alexander even on the cover of a madden game?

fer522
01-05-2011, 06:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wW-1wGgq4k&feature=related

enjoy the ride

lionslicer
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Wasn't alexander even on the cover of a madden game?

Yes, and the Madden curse ended his career. He broke his ankle or foot the following season and never had a productive season, or even game after 2006. I think he averaged like 2 yards per carry that season. He broke his wrist the first game of 2007. then his lead blocker hurt his neck,. 3.5 yards a carry for 700 something yards and 4 tds.
He's been out of the league for about 2 or 3 seasons now. He was picked up by the redskins in 2008, didn't do anything, they let him go.

ricardisimo
01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wW-1wGgq4k&feature=related

enjoy the ride
Thank you. 'nuff said.

bigchuck
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
its smart to run outta bounds, saves from all the pummeling, no reason to ever take a big shot for 2-3 more yards

PhantomJB93
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
First of all, I have not noticed this as a "trend" with Mendy whatsoever...Mendy does not shy away from contact, at all. Sometimes he dances around too much at the line and doesn't see the best availabe running lane, but there's a huge difference between that and "shying away from contact"

Second of all, I have never noticed Mendy do this when we're in a close game or playing a tough opponent or making any kind of meaningful run whatsoever. I noticed it once or twice in the Browns game, but again that was the Browns game, its self explanatory. There is no need to take unecessary hits when you don't need to. And again, Mendy DOES take said hits when he DOES need to.

Mendy is more than fine, there is nothing to worry about, and if he were utilized properly in this offense (he is not, and I don't just mean "running the ball more") he would have top 5-7 stats year in, year out. And we would never be having all these arguments about him.

lionslicer
01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
First of all, I have not noticed this as a "trend" with Mendy whatsoever...Mendy does not shy away from contact, at all. Sometimes he dances around too much at the line and doesn't see the best availabe running lane, but there's a huge difference between that and "shying away from contact"

Second of all, I have never noticed Mendy do this when we're in a close game or playing a tough opponent or making any kind of meaningful run whatsoever. I noticed it once or twice in the Browns game, but again that was the Browns game, its self explanatory. There is no need to take unecessary hits when you don't need to. And again, Mendy DOES take said hits when he DOES need to.

Mendy is more than fine, there is nothing to worry about, and if he were utilized properly in this offense (he is not, and I don't just mean "running the ball more") he would have top 5-7 stats year in, year out. And we would never be having all these arguments about him.

No one is saying he is shying away from contact, there are many runners who take a beating, but once they get to the sideline they just step out.
He also is the 6th leading rusher this season.
I'd rather he not risk breaking his leg like Bo Jackson, and live to fight another day as a Steeler running back.

Fire Arians
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
he was trying to stop the clock so we could run the score up to 41 pts instead of 34 ;)

for the record, i don't know if anyone noticed, but mendy isn't jerome bettis, he's a big play rb with enough size to break tackles, but his forte is more so breaking runs of 20+ yds

ZoneBlitzer
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
He's a finesse runner. It'd be nice to have a bruiser to compliment his style.

lionslicer
01-06-2011, 12:47 AM
He's a finesse runner. It'd be nice to have a bruiser to compliment his style.

Like Redman who doesn't get enough carries? Though he isn't that big, he's only 5 pounds heavier than Mendy, and Mendy looks like he has way more muscle.
I thought Summers would have been a nice bruiser back, like Fuamatu-Ma'afala was when he was on the team, but he didn't turn out well, Arians fault or his own.