PDA

View Full Version : Browns Fire Mangini

SteelCityMom
01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Browns fire Mangini after promising start to season turns south
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Jan. 3, 2011 at 10:04 a.m.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d6d737/article/browns-fire-mangini-after-promising-start-to-season-turns-south?module=breaking_news

The Cleveland Browns fired coach Eric Mangini on Monday following back-to-back 5-11 seasons.

Mangini met with Browns president Mike Holmgren on Monday in what many anticipated would mark the end the coach's tenure in Cleveland.

It is unclear whether Holmgren will step into the role himself or hire someone else to do the job. John Fox, Jon Gruden and Marty Mornhinweg have all been mentioned as candidates.

In his final postgame press conference as coach of the Browns (5-11), Eric Mangini told reporters Sunday, "Thanks for being patient with me. I tried to be better this year."

Sunday's 41-9 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers dropped Mangini's record with the Browns to 10-22 in two seasons.

The Browns improved in several statistical areas in 2010, but went 2-6 following surprising upsets over the New Orleans Saints and New England Patriots. They were unable to sustain the momentum, dropping their last four games, including three losses to division opponents.

Players came to Mangini's defense before and after the Pittsburgh loss.

"This is my ninth year and I've never been a part of something like this," defensive end Kenyon Coleman told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "This team is a family."

Josh Cribbs also spoke out for Mangini: "I feel like one man can only do so much," he said. "This is the biggest team sport there is. You're asking one man in two years to turn a football team that hasn't been winning into one of the greatest football teams. I mean, it takes some time.

"I believe in what (Mangini) stands for. It's hard to make a change. I'm tired of rebuilding."

Cribbs said that Mangini told the team after the loss that he loved and appreciated them.

"We went out there and played hard for him throughout the year," said Cribbs. "He was appreciative of the opportunity we gave him."

Mangini -- who started in the NFL as a 23-year-old ball boy with the Browns during Bill Belichick's tenure with the team -- was introduced as coach in January 2009. His team started 1-11 before reeling off four wins -- including a shocker over Pittsburgh -- to close the 2009 season, a surge that impressed the newly hired Holmgren enough to give Mangini a second year. On Monday, Holmgren decided against a third.

Mangini previously served as coach of the New York Jets from 2006 to 2008, where he went 23-25 and made the playoffs once in three seasons.

MDSteel15
01-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I think this was a mistake just for the fact he has some really nice young talent and may have them headed in the right direction! :coffee:

CB1977
01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I agree. Big mistake. I wish they would have given him at least one more year.

Fire Haley
01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
The Mangenius should thank the Steelers for kicking his ass outta that cursed town.

He'll get almost $8M over the next two years to do....nothing.

Now the Browns have to flush it all down and start over with another 5 year plan - and two years from now Browns fans will be crying for another new HC after more losing. I love it.

tony hipchest
01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
i take great joy in this.

i thought hiring mangina and c0ckanus was a dumb move in the first place and their firing only proves it.

they suck and deserve to suffer.

while they are at it, they should try firing the staph infection in their locker room too.

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Surprisingly Holmgren fired him. This surprised me because he was a coach, he knows it takes years to get a team together, but maybe Mike saw something that could have been done that Mangini didn't do.

Holmgren considerng hiring himself as Coach. NFL network said he has some interest in Carolina's Fox.

Holmgren will go after Gruden... Gruden loves Holmgren from their coaching days and Gruden also is from Ohio. But I think Gruden has more interest in the Vikings.
Cowher doesn't want to go to Cleveland, especially since they wouldn't let him have as much control as he would like. So thats good to hear :P

steelerohio
01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Hell, if I am an NFL coach and is really good at what i do, I would turn the job down flat...

steelax04
01-03-2011, 03:14 PM
But I think Gruden has more interest in the Vikings.

Just posted 33 min ago... no chance for Gruden in Minnesota.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Name-Leslie-Frazier-Eighth-Head-Coach-In-Team-History/72e0fd9d-9e05-44ba-8f5e-6dcfafa79371?module=HP_headlines

So it might be Cleveland for him.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Apparently since Holmgen is a branch on the Walsh coaching tree and Mangenius is a mutant strain of the Belichick/Parcells coaching species there were philosophcal differences over what offense to run - the new Cleveland coach, assuming the walrus does not pull a Dick Cheney and conduct a hiring search that selects himself, or his OC will need to run a derivative of the West Coast offense

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Just posted 33 min ago... no chance for Gruden in Minnesota.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Name-Leslie-Frazier-Eighth-Head-Coach-In-Team-History/72e0fd9d-9e05-44ba-8f5e-6dcfafa79371?module=HP_headlines

So it might be Cleveland for him.

Thats surprising..

Gruden still shows interest in college football teams. Cowboys probably stick with the new guy unless the find someone better, but they and the Fins have an interest in Gruden, but Gruden wont go anywhere if he doesn't have a good amount of control. He had that problem in Tampa which drove him nuts. Same with Cowher, he'd never go to the Fins or Cowboys because of power issues.

As for the Browns, Holmgren will more than likely pick someone from his coaching tree. Bad news for Hillis, he'll get stuck being a fullback again getting limitted carries. His coaching tree has covered 14 coaches, 1 being Mike Tomlin, even though they never dirrectly coached together.
Holmgren isn't an idiot though, that offense is built to run the ball, I wouldn't be surprised if he went after John Harbough after the post season. NFL said a lot of teams are trying to get him, I think he's in his last year of his contract or something.

Though Gruden, John Fox, OC in Philly, Jim Zorn, Jim mora Jr, and even Brad Childress will get a call from him. He said he didn't want to coach again.. but we'll see.

jjpro11
01-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Hell, if I am an NFL coach and is really good at what i do, I would turn the job down flat...

i'd sign my multi-year deal, coach for a year and run the team into the ground.. then i'd get canned and let them pay me the next few years for doing nothing. look at Mike Shanahan, he's still getting paid big bucks from both the Broncos and the Redskins, and both organizations suck. these coaches have it made. if you're a head coach in the nfl and get fired, you are guaranteed another coaching job in the pros or college... all while getting paid from the team that fired you. the whole thing is so ****ed up.

Fire Haley
01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Colt McCoy = Charlie Frye II

They better draft a QB

That's what I say

mesaSteeler
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I saw a video clip of two of the reporters who cover the Clowns. They expect that the whining Walrus will name himself coach and install a west coast offense. Can't wait to see how that will work out in December, in an open air stadium, in a 40 mph blizzard.

Then again the thought of beating the "brown" out of the Holmgren coached Clowns twice a year fills me with glee. I'd enjoy watching us do that.

Fire Haley
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Mary Kay Cabot is an idiot - she's the one spewing that 'Holmgren to coach' crap.

He just denied it in a press conference, but you're right Mesa, watching the walrus's face turn red in another screaming fit on the sidelines would be fun to watch.

mesaSteeler
01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Mary Kay Cabot is an idiot - she's the one spewing that 'Holmgren to coach' crap.

He just denied it in a press conference.

Ah well it was such a nice thought. That was the source of the story as well.

Here is a excert from a Peter King SI article.

"Cleveland: I've heard for a couple of months Mike Holmgren wants his offense run in Cleveland, and the incumbents aren't doing so. The season-ending four-game losing streak will likely do in Eric Mangini, as early as today, and I expect Holmgren to strongly consider Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg as the next coach. Holmgren, as a high school head coach 30 years ago, coached quarterback Mornhinweg at a San Jose school. John Fox is also interested, a friend of Holmgren's, and may have the man to coordinate the West Coast offense the way Holmgren wants it in Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. I think Fox could bring McCoy with him."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/02/week-17/index.html#ixzz1A1WyDxbc

Fire Haley
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
So if Mr 2-14 John Fox takes over will the Browns still start Delhomo as QB?

fine by me!

ha ha

Fire Arians
01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
heheh, mangina

steelerohio
01-03-2011, 07:38 PM
i'd sign my multi-year deal, coach for a year and run the team into the ground.. then i'd get canned and let them pay me the next few years for doing nothing. look at Mike Shanahan, he's still getting paid big bucks from both the Broncos and the Redskins, and both organizations suck. these coaches have it made. if you're a head coach in the nfl and get fired, you are guaranteed another coaching job in the pros or college... all while getting paid from the team that fired you. the whole thing is so ****ed up.

That is a very good point... ok I changed my mind... How do I apply for this Browns job?