PDA

View Full Version : Ravens still favorites? WTF?

NEWstevo
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I read on a few websites how the Ravens are the class of the AFC North. HUH? It’s always Ed Reed this… Ray Lewis that… Flacco this… Harbaugh that. Yeah, they had huge win over a terrible team…… 13-7.

Did anyone actually WATCH their game? The Bengals almost won it twice in the last few minutes, without their two best receivers. And Reeds picks were much more luck than skill. He is “smart” to sit back behind the receivers and wait for a tipped ball, then scoop it up for an easy interception. At least Troy’s lucky pick required a little effort of changing momentum and diving for it.

But enough of that………………….

The Steelers faced a better team and destroyed them before half time. They have the best defense in the NFL, won the AFC North, and already made it to the Divisional round of the playoffs.

But the Ravens are better?

Am I missing something?

TRH
01-03-2011, 11:11 AM
yeah, its frustrating....
I watched Sportscenter, NFL channel, Mike and Mike, flipping back and forth, and i heard barely even a mention of the Steelers. It was all Pats, Jets, Packers, Bears, Ravens, Saints, and for gods sakes, even the Colts over and over and over again.
Its mindboggling that Pittsburgh was BARELY even mentioned, let alone discussed, when its clear they're one of the best teams in the NFL, , have won 2 SuperBowls in the last 5 years and could be on their way to another one, likely the most popular NFL team with the most nationwide fans, and many grade A players that they could talk all day about including Ben, Troy, Harrison, etc....
I don't understand it. I'm hoping the Steelers knock some of these teams out and make it to the big bowl....they can't ignore them at that point.....but very, very frustrating

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 11:12 AM
New England's smackdown of the Steelers at Heinz is what is keeping perceptions down

Even though the Steelers would be favored at home against Indy or Baltimore, only the Colts or Ravens are being given a shot to beat the Patriots - that is because both teams played close games at Foxboro while the Pats own the Steelers

TRH
01-03-2011, 11:14 AM
New England's smackdown of the Steelers at Heinz is what is keeping perceptions down

Even though the Steelers would be favored at home against Indy or Baltimore, only the Colts or Ravens are being given a shot to beat Indy - that is because both teams played close games at Foxboro while the Pats own the Steelers

That is true (although the Pats didn't "own" the Steelers in '08 just 2 years ago when we destroyed them..).
I think our media downfall is that we had 3 BIG games....NE, New Orleans, and the Jets...all on evening prime time TV...and we lost all 3 of them..........That said...we still should be getting more media coverage than we are

plenewken
01-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm glad they're considered one of the favorites because our worst mistake would be to underestimate them.

To their credit, they performed better against strong teams than we did. They beat the Jets, New Orleans and Atlanta and lost to the Patriots by only 3pts. They are 3-1 against these guys, we're 1-3.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 11:23 AM
That is true (although the Pats didn't "own" the Steelers in '08 just 2 years ago when we destroyed them..).
I think our media downfall is that we had 3 BIG games....NE, New Orleans, and the Jets...all on evening prime time TV...and we lost all 3 of them..........That said...we still should be getting more media coverage than we are

Patriots were missing a certain QB in 2008 and that game blew apart when Harrison abused Cassell in the second half - Brady ia an entirely different matter

I agree a further reason for low expectations is that the Steelers have fallen apart in all of their showcase games other than in Baltimore (Atlanta was a big win but that was a 1 pm game not seen by much of the country)

Only 2 quality wins (Atlanta and Baltimore) and 4 losses to playoff teams (Pats, Jets, Ravens, Saints) is a concern but I will be very surprised if the Steelers are not playing on January 23

steelcity1974
01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I'll pile on I guess...on NBC last night, that prick Costas had the stupidest poem about the Colts overcoming all this crap to make the playoffs again and he said something like "all do respect to the Steelers, but the Colts blah, blah, blah" and then hinted at the Colts-Patriots being the two best teams. As far as the Ravens, it is some kind of weird love affair with them that I don't understand. It has nothing to do with the Steelers. But I can bet the main reason the media is not talking about us is because they all mostly wrote us off when Ben was suspended 4 games, and all the negative attention for fines and hard hits. Hard to believe a team can go 12-4, win the division and 2nd seed, and still fly under the radar. I think they don't want to admit how good Ben is playing because of the GA thing. They want their dream match up between Pats-Colts, or the darling Ravens. The only thing they didn't get this year was the Chargers...they love Rivers too. Screw 'em all...I really can't wait to see what LeBeau has waiting for these teams.

SoCalFan
01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Seems the pieces are coming together for us at the right time,im glad we are flying under the radar,the team seems to feed off that playing the no-respect card.MOOCH actually said on NFL network that of the AFC teams left,the Steelers have the best shot knocking off the pats,a few defense adjustments and an offense with the firepower to score some points!

GameTime55
01-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Even though the Steelers would be favored at home against Indy or Baltimore, only the Colts or Ravens are being given a shot to beat the Patriots - that is because both teams played close games at Foxboro while the Pats own the Steelers

Id have to agree with this.

I Fu%%ng HATE THE PATRIOTS.

GameTime55
01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Seems the pieces are coming together for us at the right time,im glad we are flying under the radar,the team seems to feed off that playing the no-respect card.MOOCH actually said on NFL network that of the AFC teams left,the Steelers have the best shot knocking off the pats,a few defense adjustments and an offense with the firepower to score some points!

GIVE it up for Mooch. Simply put Keep that pretty boy Brady off the lousy field, no ST oop's and we got a ball game.

ps: I think we can do it and I am simply speaking from a historical perspective. Troy Brown and Pretty boy.

jacksolomon
01-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Good. Let the other teams get all the pub.

bobby jr
01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Well the Ravens blew out NE at Foxborough last year in the playoffs.
The Ravens haven't been blown out of a single game this year. They almost beat NE on the road.
They beat the defending champion Saints, they beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. Flacco is now 7th ranked QB in the league, slightly ahead of Ben, last I looked.

Let's face it the Steelers don't match up well at all against the Pats and unless the Pats lose before they meet the Steelers, the NE game would likely mean the end of the season for the Steelers.

MDSteel15
01-03-2011, 12:17 PM
The Ravens haven't been blown out of a single game this year. They almost beat NE on the road.
They beat the defending champion Saints, they beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. Flacco is now 7th ranked QB in the league, slightly ahead of Ben, last I looked.

Let's face it the Steelers don't match up well at all against the Pats and unless the Pats lose before they meet the Steelers, the NE game would likely mean the end of the season for the Steelers.

Ben was rated 5th as of this morning in all of NFL.... and you Baltimorons only got lucky in Pittsburgh for the fact that Ben wasn't there.

LVSteelersfan
01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Who cares what the stinkin' media thinks? Losing to 4 playoff teams definitely means that we deserve to be overlooked. Obviously we need to step our game up a notch come playoff time. I think we are peeking at the right time. As long as the coaching staff keeps going after people instead of holding back, we have as good a shot as anyone else.

MDSteel15
01-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Who cares what the stinkin' media thinks? Losing to 4 playoff teams definitely means that we deserve to be overlooked. Obviously we need to step our game up a notch come playoff time. I think we are peeking at the right time. As long as the coaching staff keeps going after people instead of holding back, we have as good a shot as anyone else.

Definately agree... :thumbsup:

jizzballz
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM

um stop being a fool, they didnt have the best quarterback to ever play in that game, if u remember, or did u become a fan until after we won our 6th?

im pretty sure u are like one of those new orleans scumbags that jumped on the bandwagon at the start of 2009 and said katrina this, katrina that.

jizzballz
01-03-2011, 12:26 PM

the patriots didnt have wes welker last time and the patriots will own you, flacco chokes in the playoffs, plesae post his playoff stats, and he sucks, im so glad we have ben and not flacco...

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Glad to hear from a parallel universe where the Ravens won the AFC North this season:chuckle:

Nice cite to statistics - ask any head coach or personnel guy in the NFL other than Harbaugh or Ozzie whether they would want Roethlisberger or Flacco on their team in a playoff gaem - you and i both know the answer to that question

steelerchad
01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Glad to hear from a parallel universe where the Ravens won the AFC North this season:chuckle:

Nice cite to statistics - ask any head coach or personnel guy in the NFL other than Harbaugh or Ozzie whether they would want Roethlisberger or Flacco on their team in a playoff gaem - you and i both know the answer to that question

Not only that. His stats are wrong. Ben finished higher than Flacco statistically again.
I knew Boob Jr was probably still lurking around even though he said he wouldn't be posting here after he took his lumps for losing in Baltimore with the division on the line. Oh, and what QB fumbled that game away.... That's right, Joe Drool.

How's 2nd place feel?

pete74
01-03-2011, 12:46 PM
im glad people feel that way. the only thing that matters are wins and titles. i love being the underdog

scsteeler
01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I read on a few websites how the Ravens are the class of the AFC North. HUH? It’s always Ed Reed this… Ray Lewis that… Flacco this… Harbaugh that. Yeah, they had huge win over a terrible team…… 13-7.

Did anyone actually WATCH their game? The Bengals almost won it twice in the last few minutes, without their two best receivers. And Reeds picks were much more luck than skill. He is “smart” to sit back behind the receivers and wait for a tipped ball, then scoop it up for an easy interception. At least Troy’s lucky pick required a little effort of changing momentum and diving for it.

The Steelers faced a better team and destroyed them before half time. They have the best defense in the NFL, won the AFC North, and already made it to the Divisional round of the playoffs.

Am I missing something?

Yes I watched Reed's INT's. In which were him being in the right place at the right time and I give him credit for that. Palmer gave up so many late Christmas gifts to the Ravens it was pathetic. The Bengals pushed around that Raven Defense & they looked tired and wore out in the fourth quarter and luck was the Raven's friend on Sunday.

Let them Crown their Asses Champs in the words of Dennis Green. I would be suprised to see the Ravens playing after wild card weekend.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Pretty clear which teams Ed Bouchette thinks are the favorites

I already have my hotel reservations for the Jan. 22-23 weekend in Boston.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/107271-ed-seeds-are-good-guarantee-nothing

Vegas also likes the bye teams other than Chicago

Odds to win Super Bowl XLV

New England Patriots 2/1

Atlanta Falcons 11/2

Pittsburgh Steelers 11/2

New Orleans Saints 10/1

Philadelphia Eagles 11/1

Baltimore Ravens 12/1

Chicago Bears 12/1

Green Bay Packers 12/1

Indianapolis Colts 14/1

New York Jets 20/1

Kansas City Chiefs 35/1

Seattle Seahawks 100/1

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/107266-ed-pats-favored-to-win-sb-steelers-tied-for-2nd

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Putten $5 on the Seahawks, Chiefs, Colts and Packers.... Thats good money if they happen to pull it off lol.

But the Ravens do have a better chance against the Patriots like it or not, but the Steelers can take the Ravens any day. Football really isn't about the best team, its about the best matchups, and the Ravens matchup well against the Patriots.

TRH
01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
um stop being a fool, they didnt have the best quarterback to ever play in that game, if u remember, or did u become a fan until after we won our 6th?

im pretty sure u are like one of those new orleans scumbags that jumped on the bandwagon at the start of 2009 and said katrina this, katrina that.

# 1, because i still don't believe he's the greatest QB, and at the time, you jack***, Cassel was playing like the 2nd coming of Montana...even people in NE didn't want to lose him...believe me, i unfortunately live in NE at the time..... Everytime a team puts pressure on Brady he sucks. Not saying he's not very good, but i've never bought into that' "greatest" thing. No.
You, yourself, seem just like your gay screenname, fool....i'd be feeling pretty qu*** if i was you giving myself a screenname like that

TRH
01-03-2011, 04:26 PM
im glad people feel that way. the only thing that matters are wins and titles. i love being the underdog

yep....looks like we're still that way....just watched all the late afternoon ESPN sports shows and radio and all the talk is Ravens, Ravens, Ravens with barely even a passing mention of Pittsburgh.

btaylor179
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
guess we get no respect because we haven't really beaten any playoff caliber team....we need to do so then get our respect

plenewken
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
yep....looks like we're still that way....just watched all the late afternoon ESPN sports shows and radio and all the talk is Ravens, Ravens, Ravens with barely even a passing mention of Pittsburgh.

Who give a sh*t what ESPN says anyway? Most bookies in Las Vegas have the Steelers at +500 and the Ravens at +1500

thebus36idf
01-03-2011, 04:47 PM

Am I missing something?

We almost, and should have gotten beat by Buffalo, we got spanked by the Saints, and the Ravens beat them, and lastly we should have lost to them if it weren't for Troy. Down the stretch the Ravens did look better with the exception of that last game. However all that said we shouldn't care, and everytime we are flying under the radar we rise to the occasion. I"m hearing how Green Bay is the scariest team in the playoffs, and they only put up 10 points to a team that had nothing to gain by a win. I don't listen to the dopes on T.V. their team to beat changes every week. Especially this season it was us then the giants then the philly then the jets then new england it's comical

bobby jr
01-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes I watched Reed's INT's. In which were him being in the right place at the right time and I give him credit for that. Palmer gave up so many late Christmas gifts to the Ravens it was pathetic. The Bengals pushed around that Raven Defense & they looked tired and wore out in the fourth quarter and luck was the Raven's friend on Sunday.

Let them Crown their Asses Champs in the words of Dennis Green. I would be suprised to see the Ravens playing after wild card weekend.

By the end of the Ravens-Bengals game it was known to everyone that it made no difference whether the Ravens won or lost, insofar as their first round playoff game.
There was little incentive to go all out.

I think the Ravens would've played that Cincinnati game harder and better if they had to win the game to make the playoffs.

Sure there was a big time defensive meltdown by the Ravens by Webb, but Harbaugh is too good of a coach to let that happen again.

If you think the Ravens will lost to KC you are in the minority. Oakland showed that a physical team can dominate the Chiefs even in Kansas City. I'm sure Harbaugh has already studied those Chiefs Raiders films and that sets the model on how to play that team, and the Ravens can certainly play that style of game.

A fact that you guys seem to be missing is that Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the NFL. He took over a losing team 3 years ago and he has taken them to the playoffs 3 straight years now. His game prep is excellent and he even proved last year he can outcoach Bilichick in a playoff game.

fer522
01-03-2011, 05:18 PM
unlike most of you i just love being the underdog
b/c when we kick the s h i t out of ???????
victory will taste even sweeter :wink02:

jizzballz
01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
# 1, because i still don't believe he's the greatest QB, and at the time, you jack***, Cassel was playing like the 2nd coming of Montana...even people in NE didn't want to lose him...believe me, i unfortunately live in NE at the time..... Everytime a team puts pressure on Brady he sucks. Not saying he's not very good, but i've never bought into that' "greatest" thing. No.
You, yourself, seem just like your gay screenname, fool....i'd be feeling pretty qu*** if i was you giving myself a screenname like that

#1 i couldnt care less about your opinion, i didnt ask for it

#2 matt cassel had an good-average year in new england, yes he could be the best backup in the league and in 2008 he had a rating of 89.4, but that is nothing to what tom brady has averaged the past 3 years of 108.1

#3 brady doesn't suck, give me one game where he has sucked, apart from Super Bowl XLII and the 2007 afc championship game, and he still came out winning those games with the exception of XLII, and the Chargers were a good team in 2007.

#4 Brady never had a jerry rice, randy moss had one great year, just one in new england, he was a lazy fool. 2008 and 2009 seasons were nice, but nothing to distinguish himself apart from johnson and other top wide receivers.

#5 how is my username gay, it's another word for a big bag full of sperm, maybe you have delayed ejaculation or cant ejaculate at all, it's okay, some people like maybe you have those problems, dont take it out on me because of my username.

WeegiesWarriors
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
You might knock the Steelers for their losses, but in the NFL it's a lot about WHEN you play a team. The Browns beat the Saints and Pats one week before they both played the Steelers... serving as a wake up call of sorts to them. The Jets were on a two game losing streak at the time and desperately needed the win.

biggtee
01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
who cares let everyone ride there nuts we will sit back in the background and collect another ring then BIG BEN WILL have 3 rings at age 28 while they keep talking about all these other "TOP" qbs BOWDOWN AND KISS THE RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord of Lombardi
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Anyone else worried that the NFL will find a way to pay back the Steelers during the playoffs? Payback for comments by many of our players about the JOKE of a league this is becomming. Ward, Carter, Harrison and others who singled out this suck league for the crap they are putting on the field regarding the Zebras. We all saw that stretch of games where Ben got hit in the face, helmet, face again, kicked while he was down against the Bungles, and zero calls. I can see missing one or two but I was convinced during the Bengals game. One or two bad calls can make or break you in the playoffs. I've even noticed poor spotting of the ball during our games. I am not a Seattle type whiner when it comes to the refs but how can you not be concerned. I see how the NFL dictates games exactly how they want. And I am liking it less and less.

mesaSteeler
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Anyone else worried that the NFL will find a way to pay back the Steelers during the playoffs? Payback for comments by many of our players about the JOKE of a league this is becomming. Ward, Carter, Harrison and others who singled out this suck league for the crap they are putting on the field regarding the Zebras. We all saw that stretch of games where Ben got hit in the face, helmet, face again, kicked while he was down against the Bungles, and zero calls. I can see missing one or two but I was convinced during the Bengals game. One or two bad calls can make or break you in the playoffs. I've even noticed poor spotting of the ball during our games. I am not a Seattle type whiner when it comes to the refs but how can you not be concerned. I see how the NFL dictates games exactly how they want. And I am liking it less and less.

Very. As I've said in other threads. In every game we will be playing against three opponents; the opposing team, the refs, and "Kraft's stanch ally" the Satan Goodel.

steelers33
01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I feel fine are about our chances in the playoffs. Look we had a chance to lose both to Buffalo and Miami, but Buffalo was hot and at home the time we played them and we made some mistakes to get it into overtime in the first place. As for the Miami game, we were on the 1 yard line so you could of believed we would of punched it in, plus they had a chance to drive and win the game but our defense held. As for the Jets game the opening kick off return and bad play call on the safety really hurt us, yet we still almost won. As for the Saints game, Heath Miller had a costly late 4th quarter fumble while we were driving. And you got to believe the Ravens fame at home would of been different if we had Ben. The only game I ever felt like we were out of was the Pats game, and I felt we were completely lifeless and lacke emotion in that game. All in all this team plays GREAT when their backs are against the wall and they get no recognition, so I am estatic we are not getting talked about. Remember winning the SB as a 6 seed, and how we were supposed to place third in our division this year? Well you can expect that with our talent and experience, our defensive coach making some adjustments, and we have this mentality of us against the world, we could easily beat the Cheaters.

jizzballz
01-04-2011, 06:09 AM
Very. As I've said in other threads. In every game we will be playing against three opponents; the opposing team, the refs, and "Kraft's stanch ally" the Satan Goodel.

the refs really, how many calls have gone our way since super bowl xl, yes we won that fairly but there were some questionable calls,

how about that free first down against cleveland we had last year which led to a touchdown, didnt we win only by 11 points?, how about that free first down against the jets, how about that retard call against the ravens in the afcg that only led to a sweed drop...

... as a steeler fan and with no bias at all, it's pretty sad you guys go so low blaming referees, how about stop selling donuts and go do the refeering yourself.

Rick5895
01-04-2011, 07:03 AM
By the end of the Ravens-Bengals game it was known to everyone that it made no difference whether the Ravens won or lost, insofar as their first round playoff game.
There was little incentive to go all out.

I think the Ravens would've played that Cincinnati game harder and better if they had to win the game to make the playoffs.

Sure there was a big time defensive meltdown by the Ravens by Webb, but Harbaugh is too good of a coach to let that happen again.

If you think the Ravens will lost to KC you are in the minority. Oakland showed that a physical team can dominate the Chiefs even in Kansas City. I'm sure Harbaugh has already studied those Chiefs Raiders films and that sets the model on how to play that team, and the Ravens can certainly play that style of game.

A fact that you guys seem to be missing is that Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the NFL. He took over a losing team 3 years ago and he has taken them to the playoffs 3 straight years now. His game prep is excellent and he even proved last year he can outcoach Bilichick in a playoff game.

The Ratbirds have had defensive meltdowns all season in the 4th quarter. Have gotten lucky to win a couple of games (Skippy missing field goals, pick 6 in ot vs Houston, last week against Bungles to name a few) Losses in those games mean no playoffs.
That all being said, dismiss the Steelers, so be it, we will get the last laugh and the end of the stairway to seven when we are holding our 7th Lombardi.

:tt04:

grward
01-04-2011, 07:16 AM
#5 how is my username gay, it's another word for a big bag full of sperm, maybe you have delayed ejaculation or cant ejaculate at all, it's okay, some people like maybe you have those problems, dont take it out on me because of my username.

Sorry dude, but most people would agree that when you refer to yourself as a "big bag full of sperm" there's something wrong! This isn't a porn site.

sharkweek
01-04-2011, 02:00 PM

how many games did Flacco miss? Not 4 like Ben? Hmm, I wonder where there difference is...oh thats right, Flacco had 4 extra games and still barely beat Ben in total yards but managed far less yards per attempt, a worse TD:INT ratio, and a lower passer rating. Yeah, he sure is better :chuckle:

it would also mean the end of the season for the Ravens because they obviously don't match up well with us in the playoffs, and of course if we play NE it would be in the AFC Championship game.

plenewken
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
how many games did Flacco miss? Not 4 like Ben? Hmm, I wonder where there difference is...oh thats right, Flacco had 4 extra games and still barely beat Ben in total yards but managed far less yards per attempt, a worse TD:INT ratio, and a lower passer rating. Yeah, he sure is better :chuckle:

it would also mean the end of the season for the Ravens because they obviously don't match up well with us in the playoffs, and of course if we play NE it would be in the AFC Championship game.

Don't waste your time with him, Fluko is ranked 7th and Ben 5th.
This dude was supposed to leave the forum for good, the tail between his legs, when the Steelers beat his boys.
Obviously he likes the abuse he's taking here.

bobby jr
01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Don't waste your time with him, Fluko is ranked 7th and Ben 5th.
This dude was supposed to leave the forum for good, the tail between his legs, when the Steelers beat his boys.

I alreadty said that I checked the QB ratings on Sunday before they were updated with the last game. At that time (before Sunday's games) Flacco was ahead of Ben in the years ratings.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2011, 03:09 PM

qdFLPn30dvQ

plenewken
01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
At that time (before Sunday's games) Flacco was ahead of Ben in the years ratings.

Which was an anomaly. Fluko can't hold a candle to Ben, even him knows it.