PDA

View Full Version : The "KEY" to beating the Patriots

wutchy
01-03-2011, 05:11 PM
I think the AFC Championship game is going to be between the Steelers and Patriots.

I also believe that the NFC Championship game is going to come down to Atlanta and Philadelphia.

I believe that the Eagles can beat the Falcons; putting the Eagles in the Super bowl.

The question is "Can the Steelers beat the Patriots" in the AFC title game.?

The Patriots lost two pre-season games to the Rams and Giants, and two Regular season games to the Jets and Browns.

It seems to me that the Patriots offensive line handles 3-4 defenses very well. Brady gets all day to pick apart the secondary.

When teams go to a 4-3 front, it seems like the Patriots ofensive line has trouble picking it up, especially if the 4-3 defense uses line stunts and blitzes up the middle.

I think that the Steelers will have to put Brady on his back and hurry him in order to beat the Pats. From a 3-4 front I don't think they will be able to do it.

I think that LeBeau is smart enough to know that the strength of the Patriots is their offensive line. LeBeau is also smart enough to know that the Patriots struggle against a 4-3 front and line stunts and blitzes up the middle.

The question for me is " Will LeBeau tinker with the Defensive front enough to put pressure on Brady if the defense isn't getting pressure on Brady"?

I don't think that the Steelers can beat the Pats, or get pressure on Brady with a 3-4 front. If they mix it up and use a 4-3 at times, and use line stunts and run blitzes, THEN I think that the Steelers can beat Brady.

I just don't think that LeBeau will try to use the 4-3 at all because the Steelers aren't familiar with it. Therefore, I think an all PA. Super Bowl might not happen.

If you watch the film, you will see that the 4-3 gives the Pats fits. I hope that if the Steelers play the Pats in the AFC Championship game, they come out jn a 4-3.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 05:23 PM
I hope that if the Steelers play the Pats in the AFC Championship game, they come out jn a 4-3.

Post of the season - switch to a 4-3 despite the fact your linemen and LBs are drafted for their skill sets in a 3-4 and then play cover 2 - the keys to victory:thumbsup::toofunny:

So who sits - Farrior?

TRH
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
it is IMPERATIVE that we put pressure on him. And i don't mean a little pressure...we have to send the house and scare the s*** out of him and play close behind the line. He never plays well when he's under heavy pressure and if we give him those short slant passes again we're dead in the water.

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Post of the season - switch to a 4-3 despite the fact your linemen and LBs are drafted for their skill sets in a 3-4 and then play cover 2 - the keys to victory:thumbsup::toofunny:

Steelers have 4-3 plays. 3 down linemen, and sometimes both harrison and woodley will be in a 3 point stance, so its like a 5-2, but it turns into a 4-3 once either Harrison or Woodley drops into coverage. Essentially it is a 4-3 just its more confusing because the OL doesn't know who will blitz each play. The only time the defense is a confusing zone blitz is when there's only 2 or sometimes 1 defensive linemen and like 4-5 linebackers (sometimes Troy) and it causes a mess of confusion. Especially if they end up only blitzing 3.

Bellichick is a very good coach when it comes to studying film, Brady usually knows exactly whats comming, so LeBeau has to make like a whole new playbook for this game, or use plays he's only used a couple times during the season.

SteelerEmpire
01-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Actually. The Pats should be worried about how to beat the Steelers IF we meet in the playoffs. I'm pretty confident the team is gonna go up to Boston like the allies did in the Normandy invasion in WWII... THIS time around.

LukesDad88
01-03-2011, 05:40 PM
The really ironic part of this is that the Browns beat them by rarely having anybody down in a stance. Everybody played pretty much upright. It confused the hell out of Brady and the lineman calling the blocking assignments.

wutchy
01-03-2011, 05:41 PM

So who sits - Farrior?

The idea is that you use line stunts to open holes for blitzing LB's to run through to get a free shot at the QB. You don't "sit" anybody, you rotate LB's to keep them fresh.

You use line stunts to open blitz holes.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Steelers have 4-3 plays. 3 down linemen, and sometimes both harrison and woodley will be in a 3 point stance, so its like a 5-2, but it turns into a 4-3 once either Harrison or Woodley drops into coverage. Essentially it is a 4-3 just its more confusing because the OL doesn't know who will blitz each play. The only time the defense is a confusing zone blitz is when there's only 2 or sometimes 1 defensive linemen and like 4-5 linebackers (sometimes Troy) and it causes a mess of confusion. Especially if they end up only blitzing 3.

Bellichick is a very good coach when it comes to studying film, Brady usually knows exactly whats comming, so LeBeau has to make like a whole new playbook for this game, or use plays he's only used a couple times during the season.

To me a 4-3 involves 4 down linemen, not 4 pass rushers

But I certainly agree LeBeau needs to mix it up - the problem simply may be that Brady is kryptonite for a defense that is based on pressuring the passer and keeping the receiver in front of the DBs toavoid big gains - Brady has the skill set to negate that and just slice his way down the field - a 36/4 TD/INT ratio is insane

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
The really ironic part of this is that the Browns beat them by rarely having anybody down in a stance. Everybody played pretty much upright. It confused the hell out of Brady and the lineman calling the blocking assignments.

That was at Cleveland though, its hard to make linecalls when its that loud in other stadiums. In Foxboro, it'll be nice and quiet for Brady.

btaylor179
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
we struggle against patriots bc our dbs play 15 yds off of the line instead of at the line and popping the wrs in the mouth!!!!!

bigchuck
01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
it is IMPERATIVE that we put pressure on him. And i don't mean a little pressure...we have to send the house and scare the s*** out of him and play close behind the line. He never plays well when he's under heavy pressure and if we give him those short slant passes again we're dead in the water.

your plan is to scare tom brady?? i dont think tom brady has every been scared in a football game. and the other plan is to switch to a 4-3???? its hard to beleive you 2 guys arent coaching in the NFL right now

wutchy
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Hoke, Hood, Hampton, and Kiesel on the line would be fearsome enough. Play Hood and Hampton inside, they stunt to open a hole, and Farrior runs straight at Brady, or loop Harrison into the hole.

lionslicer
01-03-2011, 05:51 PM
To me a 4-3 involves 4 down linemen, not 4 pass rushers

But I certainly agree LeBeau needs to mix it up - the problem simply may be that Brady is kryptonite for a defense that is based on pressuring the passer and keeping the receiver in front of the DBs toavoid big gains - Brady has the skill set to negate that and just slice his way down the field - a 36/4 TD/INT ratio is insane

It doesn't change my point. There are plenty of times when there are 4 down linemen for the Steelers. And they run 4 pass rushers and the 3 linebackers in zone or man. Its a basic 4-3 formation and play. Its more of a cover 2 or 3 though, which Brady could pick apart in his sleep.
The reason I believe a 4-3 has some success against him is because he just looks and says "okay its a base 4-3, only 4 pass rushers, man or zone coverage, lets put a reciever in motion to see if its man or zone" Pretty simple. But teams take that chance to blitz him, and nor him or the line really sees it comming. Thats why Philly has always had success blitzing from the 4-3. It can end up killing you if the quarterbacks hot read was supposed to be picked up by the blitzing linebacker, but it can be a win also. Its a gamble. LeBeau doesn't like gambling.

wutchy
01-03-2011, 05:56 PM

I think that Hoke, Hood. Hampton, and Kiesel would be an intimidating front four. Play Hood and Hampton on the inside, they stunt to open a hole for Farrior to run through for a clean shot at Brady. Or loop Harrison around to the hole and let him run through it.

Last time, Brady had all day back there. The Pats o-line is coached and plays well against a 3-4. If you play a 3-4 and put Harrison and Woodley up on the ends of the line, all Brady has to do is check off to a swing pass or a screen.
If Harrison or Woodley doesn't come up to the end of the line, just trust the o-line to contain the pass rush - they do that well.

Steelerfreak58
01-03-2011, 05:58 PM
we struggle against patriots bc our dbs play 15 yds off of the line instead of at the line and popping the wrs in the mouth!!!!!

Every time. Its why the secondary gets raped. Green bay gave Brady fits because the DB's were doing just that slapping the WR's in the chest and disrupting their timing plays.

bigchuck
01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
yes its why there defense is good and teams have trouble beating them, we have 2 physical DBs 3 if you count troy htat id like to see closer then 9 yards off the LOS

jizzballz
01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
this is a retarded thread.

yes let's switch to the spread offense so we can outscore indianapolis in 2 weeks time... hell lets stack 11 in the box to contain vick and leave 1 to cover desean and maclin

wow, i wonder if you were educated no offense

wutchy
01-03-2011, 06:03 PM
It doesn't change my point. There are plenty of times when there are 4 down linemen for the Steelers. And they run 4 pass rushers and the 3 linebackers in zone or man. Its a basic 4-3 formation and play. Its more of a cover 2 or 3 though, which Brady could pick apart in his sleep.
The reason I believe a 4-3 has some success against him is because he just looks and says "okay its a base 4-3, only 4 pass rushers, man or zone coverage, lets put a reciever in motion to see if its man or zone" Pretty simple. But teams take that chance to blitz him, and nor him or the line really sees it comming. Thats why Philly has always had success blitzing from the 4-3. It can end up killing you if the quarterbacks hot read was supposed to be picked up by the blitzing linebacker, but it can be a win also. Its a gamble. LeBeau doesn't like gambling.

"There are plenty of times when the steelers line up four down linemen"? Huh?
99% of the time they line up three down linemen and use two linebackers up on the line in a standing position. Sometimes they come, and sometimes they drop into coverage. Three down linemen with two LB's on the end is a good scheme, but it, like every other scheme, has weaknesses.

A 4-3 front gives the Pats trouble, and they would crap a brick if the steelers showed that front. Hood and Hampton , stunting on the inside would not be a weakness because they have the strength to handle the double team that they would stunt themselves into.

Steelerfreak58
To beat the Patriots we need our running game to chew up clock time with long drives that result in Touch Downs not field goals. Its really as simple as that. If we can keep Brady off the field and actually convert TD's we will have a great shot at beating them.

Get our DB's to come up and play close man coverage just like GB did and Brady will not pick the secondary apart like he did last game.

You have to play mistake free football against the Pats. They are going to have to work on crowd noise and drive killing penalties that have plagued them all year long. 1st and 30 isn't going to cut it against the Patriots.

StainlessStill
your plan is to scare tom brady?? i dont think tom brady has every been scared in a football game. and the other plan is to switch to a 4-3???? its hard to beleive you 2 guys arent coaching in the NFL right now

^ This. You'd have a better luck yourself in finding Bin Laden then scaring Brady into playing bad. First off, this Steelers defense does nothing but TICKLE Brady to death because he's had his best games against LeBeau's schemes. Brady walked into Heinz Field, twice in 3 years, and beat Pittsburgh @ Heinz Field, in front of THEIR fans on-way to both Super Bowl titles.

If we try to scare Brady, he'll do nothing but stuff it right back in our face (Ask Anthony Smith about that one.) We are just going to have to play better, come up and hit and hope to confuse that offensive line into hurrying Brady's throws a tad off and then put together scoring drives on offense. It's the only way.

wutchy
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
this is a retarded thread.

yes let's switch to the spread offense so we can outscore indianapolis in 2 weeks time... hell lets stack 11 in the box to contain vick and leave 1 to cover desean and maclin

wow, i wonder if you were educated no offense

Watch the film from the last steeler/patriots game. The steelers couldn't get anywhere near Brady. I just think that they have to experiment or do something "different" that the pats won't prepare for.

The steelers often try to stunt from a 3-4, but it seldom works. 3 on 5 stunts aren't scary or hard to handle. 4 on 5 stunts are different, especially if you have two bulls like Hampton and hood stunting into a double team- THEY ARE USED TO BEING DOUBLE TEAMED.

StainlessStill
01-03-2011, 06:13 PM
The way I'd attack Brady is to lay all the chips on the line with pressure UP THE MIDDLE. The Patriots offensive lineman are THEE best line in the league. They are a veteran line who plays so well together and mesh perfectly like a Super Bowl offensive line, esp with a Super Bowl QB behind them in Brady. If we are going to try to atleast get to Brady, I say stack the middle of the line and try to collapse the pocket at all costs with some fierce penetration in the interior and then getting our hands up.

Most of Brady's game is within the pocket. If we can get guys up the middle and flying around his waist/feet and leave our outside guys in contain then I think we have our way with Brady and the timing of his receivers, esp since he has small wide-outs. If we can collapse the middle men, then we'd be alright. Coming with a wide loop rush or trying to amount pressure from the outsides will do nothing for us.

wutchy
01-03-2011, 06:23 PM
The way I'd attack Brady is to lay all the chips on the line with pressure UP THE MIDDLE. The Patriots offensive lineman are THEE best line in the league. They are a veteran line who plays so well together and mesh perfectly like a Super Bowl offensive line, esp with a Super Bowl QB behind them in Brady. If we are going to try to atleast get to Brady, I say stack the middle of the line and try to collapse the pocket at all costs with some fierce penetration in the interior and then getting our hands up.

Most of Brady's game is within the pocket. If we can get guys up the middle and flying around his waist/feet and leave our outside guys in contain then I think we have our way with Brady and the timing of his receivers, esp since he has small wide-outs. If we can collapse the middle men, then we'd be alright. Coming with a wide loop rush or trying to amount pressure from the outsides will do nothing for us.

I agree. Pressure up the middle. Line stunts and run blitz. But you can't do that with a 3 man front, even if you line up two linebackers on the outside. A 4 man front, stunting and run blitzing will beat the pat's.

THE PATRIOT O-LINE HAS TROUBLE HANDLING A 4-3, END OF STORY. THROW IN SOME LINE STUNTS AND RUN BLITZES, AND YOU HAVE BRADY ON HIS BACK.
MAYBE KNOCKED OUT IF YOU LOOP HARRISON THRU THE HOLE THAT YOUR LINE STUNT PRODUCED.

A 3 MAN LINE CAN'T STUNT. A 4 MAN LINE CAN STUNT. THE PATS HAVE TROUBLE PICKING UP STUNTS. STRAIGHT ON BLOCKING, THEY ARE UNBEATABLE.

DillsburgSteeler
01-03-2011, 06:28 PM
I say throw the house at him. Let him know that he is in a game. If he burns us well at least we tried something different. I'm sick of seeing this guy with a clean uniform at the end of the game allowing him to shread our defense. Our last effort against the Patriots was pathetic. We need to do something different on defense to have any chance.

StainlessStill
01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree. Pressure up the middle. Line stunts and run blitz. But you can't do that with a 3 man front, even if you line up two linebackers on the outside. A 4 man front, stunting and run blitzing will beat the pat's.

THE PATRIOT O-LINE HAS TROUBLE HANDLING A 4-3, END OF STORY. THROW IN SOME LINE STUNTS AND RUN BLITZES, AND YOU HAVE BRADY ON HIS BACK.
MAYBE KNOCKED OUT IF YOU LOOP HARRISON THRU THE HOLE THAT YOUR LINE STUNT PRODUCED.

You most certainly can in a 3-4. There is so much disguising in the game of football, ESP in LeBeau's schemes that it's almost impossible to get a pre-snap read. The Steelers foundation may be the 3-4, but we run many things out of the 3-4 and adjust into a completley different coverage and defense once that ball is snapped. We have great personal and some fantastic athletic linebackers that can adjust and do the trick.

A man like Lawrence Timmons and even Brett Keisel could be an X-factor. Hell, there were some times where you see the Steelers D taking script out of Bellicheats* schemes and have stand-up lineman. Casey Hampton is one of the biggest bodies a 3-4 interior line could see. If we can scheme things around his mass and stunt Harrison or Woodley/Timmons up the middle, it CAN be done. It's the matter of how we draw it up and what N.E wants to do to us as well.

Another thing people are forgetting: New England came into town when we were an abrupt MESS. We were on a downward slope with injuries and our whole left end of our offensive line was a disgrace leading up to that game with injury. Now we are much healthier and much, much more tight and in-tune with our offense. I wanna see this re-match.

LukesDad88
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Everybody keeps trying to compare this year with the 08 season and 09 playoffs, because we're the second seed and everybody's hoping B-More will knock out the Pats and come here for the AFCCG.

To me, this is shaping up a little more like like 05-06. When we had gotten creamed by the #1 seed during the regular season, and everybody just automatically assumed the Colts would walk all over us on their easy path to SB XXL. Does that seem familiar?

StainlessStill
01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Everybody keeps trying to compare this year with the 08 season and 09 playoffs, because we're the second seed and everybody's hoping B-More will knock out the Pats and come here for the AFCCG.

To me, this is shaping up a little more like like 05-06. When we had gotten creamed by the #1 seed during the regular season, and everybody just automatically assumed the Colts would walk all over us on their easy path to SB XXL. Does that seem familiar?

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. I've made this correlation all season. When we were getting a whooping, on a National stage against New England, I turned to my dad and said this reminds me a lot like the '05 season to where we got PUMMELED in Indianapolis on Monday Night Football. Noone gave us a shot at the re-match. Well, we all know how that turned out.

In fact, I always believed that a playoff team who has lost in a regular season match-up outside of the division has the "joker" hand in the playoffs. Hell, you could say the same for N.E in '04. We creme them in the regular season and they come in here in the Title game and handle us our worst defeat of the season.

mesaSteeler
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Has it occurred to any one that a good way to beat Brady is to RUN the damn ball, chew clock, and keep him off the field? We ran pretty well in our first four games when the Satan Goodell unfairly suspended Ben. Of I don't have any faith that Arians will think of it since his two brain cells are permanently frozen in the pass position.

mizzouristeeler
01-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I agree. We need to run the ball well and keep gaydy off the field as much as possible

wutchy
01-03-2011, 11:35 PM
If you can't run the ball, then you can't run the ball. The Steelers can't run the ball.

If you paid attention during the first meeting this year in the burg between new england and the steelers, you would have noticed that Brady had time to drink a cup of coffeee back there.

You have to pressure Brady, as you do all QB's. Make him throw before he is ready.

LeBeau tried all sorts of blitzes to no avail.

The hard and true fact is that the pats have trouble when they face a 4 man defensive front, and that front stunts and blitzes up the middle.

The only response the pats could make would be to try trap blocking, and run the ball. But the steeler LB's could handle that. So the pats would have to try pitch outs and bounce the ball to the outside, but they have no runner who can get to the corner and turn it. that would leave their only option to involve the tight end. But a TE would have to have 15 catches and 150 yards to make an impact. Not likely against Troy.

You can't trap bloack a 3-4 defense because who are ya gonna trap? nobody!

If you force them to trap block, all you have to do is run blitz in the trap block hole. Right up the middle. They could trap block with play action, but if you are aggressive and run blitz the hole caused by the trap block, you run smack into Brady.

4-3 is the only way to beat Brady.

If the steelers commit to the run, it will be behind flozell. Belichik knows that, all he has to do is bring up the safety. Which would present Logan with opportunities.

The inescapable fact is that the steelers have to try a 4-3 front, stunt, and run blitz right up the gut. The Pats use the attack of the steeler LB's off the corners to their advantage. They just dump off to one of their fast little possession recievers, in the area that the blitzing LB vacates in his pass rush. Just dump the ball off over Harrisons or Woodleys head. The safety has to make the play, but if the WR runs a deep route, the safety will be in pursuit there, and make it hard for him to come up on the dump off.

of course, if the steelers show a 4-3 and trap blocking plays into the steelers hand, the pats would resort to cut blocking and try to take a d-lineman out of the game with a knee. Shanahan taught em that.

lionslicer
01-04-2011, 12:31 AM
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. I've made this correlation all season. When we were getting a whooping, on a National stage against New England, I turned to my dad and said this reminds me a lot like the '05 season to where we got PUMMELED in Indianapolis on Monday Night Football. Noone gave us a shot at the re-match. Well, we all know how that turned out.

In fact, I always believed that a playoff team who has lost in a regular season match-up outside of the division has the "joker" hand in the playoffs. Hell, you could say the same for N.E in '04. We creme them in the regular season and they come in here in the Title game and handle us our worst defeat of the season.

But it's the Patriots... Colts rested their players for a bout a month, they came out stale in the post season. Patriots seem to always be ready...

Though I like to be optimistic :P
I say Brady hair in his eyes for a play, Troy picks him off and takes it to the house, and during the return, Harrison lays out Brady on a block and takes him out for the game.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-04-2011, 02:22 AM

So who sits - Farrior?

Did someone require lithium for membership?

Haiku_Dirtt
01-04-2011, 02:37 AM
What's required to beat the Pats? Someone else beating them.

Years ago I blasted our offensive line. We had foreclosures in the trenches. Like Vegas. No answers No Solutions No End in Sight.

And then we won the Super Bowl. Apologies to Max Starks. WHO KNEW that you could win a Super Bowl w/o a world class line. What the Steelers epitomized historically also demolished what we thought were true.

THEY LIED! You can win a Super Bowl with the Bad News Bears blocking for Ben. Small kine joke guys.

We are going to live or die by what calls are made on offense. What we rarely hear about are plays called in the huddle. And were they successful. The witch hunt for poor decisions may be with the guy taking snaps.

Take the clock away from the Pats. And give the Pats a little respect. WTF. They earned it. It's time for our offense to give the defense a breather.

I love our receivers.

steeltheone
01-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Has it occurred to any one that a good way to beat Brady is to RUN the damn ball, chew clock, and keep him off the field? We ran pretty well in our first four games when the Satan Goodell unfairly suspended Ben. Of I don't have any faith that Arians will think of it since his two brain cells are permanently frozen in the pass position.
Running disappears after Brady hits you for 3 scores

pete74
01-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Running disappears after Brady hits you for 3 scores

agreed but if we can stop them a few times then running the ball is definatly the way to beat them. thats exactly what clevland did. Hillis tore there defense completly up

TRH
01-04-2011, 09:30 AM
blitz...blitz...blitz...and sending the house. Thats the key. Brady never...never plays good scared.

FanSince72
01-04-2011, 09:53 AM
blitz...blitz...blitz...and sending the house. Thats the key. Brady never...never plays good scared.

That's the whole thing in a nutshell!

Brady can't play when he's forced to do things more quickly than he'd like to and is no better than a high school QB when his "system" is rushed and he's forced to improvise. It's actually rather shocking to see how different he becomes when he can't go through his reads the way he'd like to or if he has to move from the pocket if that's not part of the play.

As for how to do that, that's LeBeau's problem. But if he can figure out a way to get some guys into Brady's backfield, Brady starts running around like a Redshirt looking through his earhole and at that point he may as well be a third-string rookie for all the good he'll do.

Bringing the house is the right idea but it needs to be done in a variety of ways and those ways have to be constantly changing throughout the game because if it's the same basic blitz all the time, Belichick will figure it out and send in plays to counter it.

As long as LeBeau can keep coming up with creative ways to take Brady out of his comfort zone, winning wouldn't just be easier, it would almost be guaranteed (assuming that we score when we have the ball).

LukesDad88
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
And all this time, I thought the key to winning games was scoring more points than the other guys.

wutchy
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Belichik isn't stupid. He knows that the best teams are using the 3-4 base.
He coaches and plans to beat 3-4 base defense.
3-4 defense is vulnerable when you play them like Belichik does.
He exploits the LB's coming off the corner. He puts a TE on one, and uses an RB to pick up the other one. On some plays, the TE blocks and releases to catch a pass, on other plays the RB swings out and catches a pass in the area the other LB vacates. Swing passes, pitch outs, screens, and TE stops and hitches are the way to attack a 3-4. The 3-4 lineman aren't expected to get pressure on a QB because they are 3 against 5. The pressure is supposed to come from the outside LB's.

4-3 lineman are expected to get pressure on the QB using bull rushes and line stunts. The LB's are expected to stop the run and drop into coverage. Play action slows down the 4-3 rush and freezes the LB's. Against a 4-3 , you need a RB who can get to the corner and beat an outside LB. And you rely heavily on a TE to make plays in space.

The Pats struggle against a 4-3 because they don't have a RB who can get to the corner, or a TE who can operate in space. When you play against a 4-3, you need a fast and shifty RB, and a TE like Miller, Heap, Witten, Clark, Gonzalez and so on.

The Pats aren't equipped to beat a 4-3. They are coached to beat a 3-4. The TE blocks and releases, and the RB catches swing passes in space. He simply runs by the rushing LB and catches swing passes, he has no need for speed to the corner.

When you play against a 3-4, you exploit the rushing outside LB's. Use your WR's to run off the safties. The Pats are experts at beating the 3-4. Their line "looks" better than it really is, but the truth is that they are 5 against 3. If you use a TE, then it is 6 against 3, if the outside LB's don't rush. If they do rush, just toss to your TE after he blocks and releases, and swing pass to your RB after he runs by the other rushing LB. If the safety loves up, throw deep.

Tha Pats have trouble against the 4-3 because you have 4 big d-linemen against 5 o-linemen, who are expected to get pressure with stunts and open holes for a run blitzer. You can't exploit outside LB agressiveness. The outside LB's drop into space and fill the soft spots, and seal the corners. This forces you to trap block and run the ball, which the Pats can't do.

The steelers of the 70's could beat the snot out of the Pats of today. They played a 4-3 defense. When you play 4-3, you need LB's who can stop the run up the gut, and cover the soft spots and seal the edges.

Film doesn't lie. Film shows the Pats have trouble with, and aren't equipped or coached to beat a 4-3. They are experts at beating a 3-4 because they exploit the outside LB agressiveness, and take what you give them until you move up the safties in support. When you do that , Brady checks off to a deep pass.

I guarantee you that nobody - nobody, thinks that the steelers would show a 4-3 front in the playoffs. Belichik knows that - ADVANTAGE BELICHIK.

caseyviator
01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I say throw the house at him. Let him know that he is in a game. If he burns us well at least we tried something different. I'm sick of seeing this guy with a clean uniform at the end of the game allowing him to shread our defense. Our last effort against the Patriots was pathetic. We need to do something different on defense to have any chance.

i totally agree anying totaly different id like to see guys rotated to keep the pressure on big time.

take chances go for pick its the only way to beat them...copy cleveland have everyone standin up cept casey
gotta try guys this is it

wanna go down fighting and our offense has to keep up with the points and lets win it at the end with a fg

wnyBob
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
No one would like to see us go to NE and just womp all over the Pats(ies). That would be some kind of statement. But I have to say it, I'd be feeling a lot better of the playoff sceneios if whoever plays the Pats(ies) in two weeks womps on them and then we get the second game in Pittsburgh.

wutchy
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
And all this time, I thought the key to winning games was scoring more points than the other guys.

Thats how the Patriots win. They exploit a 3-4 and outscore you. Thay are coached and equipped to beat a 3-4.

They aren't coached and equipped to beat a 4-3, thats why they struggle against a 4-3.

The steelers are coached and equipped to play a 3-4. But their LB's are atheletic enough to play in a 4-3. They can drop in space and cover, and they have the speed to seal the edges and the strength to take on blocks and make plays against swing and screen passes.
In a 3-4 scheme, you want pass rushing LB's. In a 4-3 you want pass covering Lb's. I think the steeler outside LB's can handle the patriots RB's and TE's in space.
So a 4-3 scheme would work. The steelers have 4 guys who could rush the passer in Hoke,Kiesel,Hampton and Hood. The LB's are fast and strong enough to help in run support and drop into pass coverage on the Rb and TE. The key is the speed of the LB. The steeler LB's are prized for their strength. But they are also fast and atheletic pass defenders. They can handle the patriots RB and TE. If the pats had a dangerous RB, or a quick TE, it would be a problem. The pats weakness is at RB and TE. EXPLOIT THAT! Play a 4-3 and force them to beat you with the RB and TE, which they don't have and aren't equipped or coached to do.

I GUARANTEE YOU THAT BELICHIK WOULD BET HIS JOB THAT THE STEELERS WOULD NOT COME OUT IN A 4-3. EVEN THOUGH LEBEAU KNOWS THAT IT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER TO BEAT THE PATS.

IT WOULD BE LIKE LEBEAU SAYING THAT HE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN HIS OWN 3-4 PHILOSOPHY. PRIDE.

In a 4-3, I'd put Hampton and Hood on the inside , and Kielsel and Hoke on the outside. I'd use Farrior at inside LB, and put the two best pass defenders and tacklers at outside LB. I think Timmons played with his hand on the ground in college, so he could give one of the lineman a blow, and you could rotate LB's to keep them fresh. LB's get winded covering passes.

tony hipchest
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
No one would like to see us go to NE and just womp all over the Pats(ies). That would be some kind of statement. But I have to say it, I'd be feeling a lot better of the playoff sceneios if whoever plays the Pats(ies) in two weeks womps on them and then we get the second game in Pittsburgh.

exactly. lets not forget we have our own game to win on jan. 15.

personally, i feel all this patriot talk (and there is a ton of it) in the steelers forum is wasted breath until we know who will meet in the championship game.

talk about putting the cart before the horse. :doh: :deadhorse:

wutchy
01-04-2011, 12:10 PM

We're gonna have to beat the Chiefs in two weeks, after they beat the Ravens. But they should be softened up by then. Jets should beat Indy, but I hope Indy wins because they play a 4-3 and have the best chance of beating NE. Altho, the Jets play a lot of 4-3 as well. They beat NE once this year. Browns, Giants, and Rams - also 4-3 teams- beat NE as well.
NE beat all the 3-4 teams.

wutchy
01-04-2011, 12:15 PM

personally, i feel all this patriot talk (and there is a ton of it) in the steelers forum is wasted breath until we know who will meet in the championship game.

EVERY FREAKING BODY "ASSUMES" THAT THE RAVENS WILL BEAT THE CHIEFS, AND WE'LL PLAY THE RAVENS. TALK ABOUT PUTTING THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE. SHEESH!

I GOT $50.00 THAT SAYS THE CHIEFS BEAT THE RAVENS, BUT PAY A STEEP PRICE.

THAT MEANS IT WILL BE CHIEFS VS. STEELERS ON 1/15/11.

I FEAR THE CHIEFS MORE THAN THE RAVENS. THE CHIEFS CAN PUT UP BIG NUMBERS ON ANY GIVEN DAY.

TRH
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM

yeah, thats it exactly. There could very well be NO pats-steelers game whatsoever.

sharkweek
01-04-2011, 03:09 PM
EVERY FREAKING BODY "ASSUMES" THAT THE RAVENS WILL BEAT THE CHIEFS, AND WE'LL PLAY THE RAVENS. TALK ABOUT PUTTING THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE. SHEESH!

I GOT $50.00 THAT SAYS THE CHIEFS BEAT THE RAVENS, BUT PAY A STEEP PRICE.

THAT MEANS IT WILL BE CHIEFS VS. STEELERS ON 1/15/11.

I FEAR THE CHIEFS MORE THAN THE RAVENS. THE CHIEFS CAN PUT UP BIG NUMBERS ON ANY GIVEN DAY.

LOL, I hope you're joking. The Chiefs absolutely rely on their league best rushing attack. Matched up against our rush defense (one of the best in league history) and the fact that the Chiefs have a swiss cheese OL when it comes to pass blocking (we lead the league in sacks btw), but I'm sorry, it really is laughable to think that the Chiefs have a chance of making it past then Ravens and then having a legitimate chance at beating us when both teams match up so well. Ironically the Chiefs are actually built well to cause problems for a team like New England, but they likely won't make it there.

PhantomJB93
01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
The key is just scoring right out of the gate and getting an early lead. Once they get a lead they settle into a groove and just ride the momentum and dominate. Put them in a bad situation from the getgo and the defense, at least, will get flustered, Brady is never out of a game but you can at least turn it into a shootout once you get into their young defense's minds. Give their defense any momentum at all and it's over, but they are a young unit that WILL make mistakes if they have a lot of pressure on them.

Also, Ike and Bmac will need to have their coverage skills top notch for another Patriots game and LeBeau needs to stop playing them 7-10 yards off the receiver. That may work against a lot of teams but the Patriots' offense is perfectly constructed to abuse that.

EDIT: Also, I WOULD have been a little scared of the Chiefs but the Charlie Weis-Florida thing has really messed them up. He meant a lot to that team this year and I think that really got in their heads how he just kind of used them to get back to a major college team. I expect the Ravens to crush them.

wutchy
01-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Ravens / Chiefs score: CHIEFS 30. RAVENS 16

Remember, you saw it here first.

Freebie : Jets / Colts score: JETS 27. COLTS 17

pete74
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
LOL, I hope you're joking. The Chiefs absolutely rely on their league best rushing attack. Matched up against our rush defense (one of the best in league history) and the fact that the Chiefs have a swiss cheese OL when it comes to pass blocking (we lead the league in sacks btw), but I'm sorry, it really is laughable to think that the Chiefs have a chance of making it past then Ravens and then having a legitimate chance at beating us when both teams match up so well. Ironically the Chiefs are actually built well to cause problems for a team like New England, but they likely won't make it there.

i think the Chiefs will beat Baltimore. i wouldnt bet my house on it but i definatly thing the Chiefs will take them and Bowe will have a monster game

StainlessStill
01-04-2011, 07:22 PM
i think the Chiefs will beat Baltimore. i wouldnt bet my house on it but i definatly thing the Chiefs will take them and Bowe will have a monster game

The Ravens are nowhere NEAR as good as their 12-4 record. I can see the Chiefs spreading them out and having some major mis-matches, where Charles can possibly see most of his yardage out of dump offs out of the backfield. I can see Balty losing this weekend.

pete74
01-04-2011, 07:32 PM
The Ravens are nowhere NEAR as good as their 12-4 record. I can see the Chiefs spreading them out and having some major mis-matches, where Charles can possibly see most of his yardage out of dump offs out of the backfield. I can see Balty losing this weekend.

the Chiefs coach should be shot for underusing Charles but i gurentee if they give him 20 touches he will break 100 yards or more. the Chiefs are unpredictable but they can be really good and i think they will beat the Ravens. the Ravens defense isnt good enough this year to shut there offense down

sarahpalinhater
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
I know Oakland beat up KC this past Sunday. But Oakland is among the BEST Pass rushing defenses around. And they terrorized Cassell. However, Baltimore is a very poor pass rushing defense. And even though I know they are a very good team, I still am not going to underestimate that KC Home stadium. Which is very very loud. KC was 7-1 at home for a reason. Now they ARE a bad road team. But at home, they can beat Baltimore. I'm not guaranteeing they will. But it's not a done deal win for the Ravens either.

PhantomJB93
01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I know Oakland beat up KC this past Sunday. But Oakland is among the BEST Pass rushing defenses around. And they terrorized Cassell. However, Baltimore is a very poor pass rushing defense. And even though I know they are a very good team, I still am not going to underestimate that KC Home stadium. Which is very very loud. KC was 7-1 at home for a reason. Now they ARE a bad road team. But at home, they can beat Baltimore. I'm not guaranteeing they will. But it's not a done deal win for the Ravens either.

lol

Baltimore is not a "very poor" pass rushing team...they may not be the Steelers but they're up there

StainlessStill
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Indeed. To me, all the Chiefs hopes and chips lye's on their home success. Noone is eager to go into the New Arrowhead Stadium to play the Chiefs and I don't care HOW overrated they may be. Going into KC, in their home where it's been a LONG time to where K.C hosted a playoff game is scary. If K.C was in Balty, no way but their home-field advantage is huge right now.

sarahpalinhater
01-04-2011, 08:56 PM
lol

Baltimore is not a "very poor" pass rushing team...they may not be the Steelers but they're up there

Baltimore had 27 total sacks as a team this year,,,,and according to stats.inc,,they were also 2nd to last in applying pass rush pressure. So explain please,,,,how is that not Poor ?

Fire Arians
01-04-2011, 09:14 PM

the chiefs aren't as good as their 10-6 record either, just saying. 2-4 in the division, swept by the raiders and they aren't as good as SD, who they are lucky didn't catch up to them record wise.

going into the playoffs getting manhandled by the raiders isn't a good sign. they didn't just lose, they got beat the hell up and punched in the mouth. now they have baltimore coming who is a team much more physical than the raiders. the chiefs played with no sense of urgency last week, they looked like a team content to make the playoffs, and those are usually the type of teams that are one and done.

not saying the chiefs should mail it in, but baltimore should be an easy favorite

sarahpalinhater
01-04-2011, 09:49 PM
the chiefs aren't as good as their 10-6 record either, just saying. 2-4 in the division, swept by the raiders and they aren't as good as SD, who they are lucky didn't catch up to them record wise.

going into the playoffs getting manhandled by the raiders isn't a good sign. they didn't just lose, they got beat the hell up and punched in the mouth. now they have baltimore coming who is a team much more physical than the raiders. the chiefs played with no sense of urgency last week, they looked like a team content to make the playoffs, and those are usually the type of teams that are one and done.

not saying the chiefs should mail it in, but baltimore should be an easy favorite

I agree that they should be a favorite............but not an easy favorite. I wanna see how they handle that noise there. And the KC Rushing attack, as well as KC great special teams play. Game should be close. But I still say the Jets have a better chance at Indy then Baltimore does at KC. Don't know why, but I do.

Lord of Lombardi
01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I will make a comment if we make it to the game and the Patsys make it as well. One play where Brady twists his knee could end it all for them. No guarantees for anyone. There is a lot of football to be played before we can talk about keys to beating.....

Let's hope this thread keeps going in two weeks.

PhantomJB93
01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Baltimore had 27 total sacks as a team this year,,,,and according to stats.inc,,they were also 2nd to last in applying pass rush pressure. So explain please,,,,how is that not Poor ?

Stats aren't everything...Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, even Jarrett Johnson are all great at getting pressure when they need to. Again, Im not saying they're the greatest pass rushign team ever but they are not that bad and are probably top ten. You can go by stats, etc. all you want but it doesn't tell the whole story.

God, I almost feel like a Ravens fan for defending them...

LVSteelersfan
01-04-2011, 11:20 PM
The key to even having a chance at playing the Patriots is to win the first game. If that doesn't happen, then you can talk all day long about how to beat the Patriots and it won't matter. I hope the Jets and their loudmouthed coach get their butts handed to them. Kansas City and Baltimore I could care less. Probably Kansas City to win because I hate the Ratbirds with a passion.

GameTime55
01-04-2011, 11:42 PM
The key to even having a chance at playing the Patriots is to win the first game. If that doesn't happen, then you can talk all day long about how to beat the Patriots and it won't matter. I hope the Jets and their loudmouthed coach get their butts handed to them. Kansas City and Baltimore I could care less. Probably Kansas City to win because I hate the Ratbirds with a passion.

this^

Got to win the first one

SH-Rock
01-05-2011, 12:09 AM
To beat the Patriots is to lose have Brady off the field. Sustain long drives just like the Browns and Packers.

StainlessStill
01-05-2011, 12:26 AM

Everything you just said is the reason why K.C is even scarier in Arrowhead Stadium when the playoffs are on the line. If there's any team to play spoiler, it's the Chefs.

wutchy
01-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Everything you just said is the reason why K.C is even scarier in Arrowhead Stadium when the playoffs are on the line. If there's any team to play spoiler, it's the Chefs.

The Chiefs head coach is a pretty smart guy. Playoff time is the "Coach's" season.

This time of year is about "out-schemeing" and "out-coaching" your opponent.

I expect the Chiefs to run a lot out of the shotgun. When you show shotgun, the safety thinks pass and usually plays two deep. The Ravens play a two deep base anyway. When the Qb comes up under center, the safety usually thinks run and moves up on run support, and to fill the soft spot underneath. Thats when you throw deep.

I think the chiefs will run out of the shotgun because they run well, and the safetys will be deep. If not run, then play action swing passes and screens.

I also think the Chiefs will throw when Cassel is under center because Cassel learned from Brady to use his drop back as a timing mechanism on his 3,5,7 step dropbacks. The ravens get that good 4 man push up the gut, so the run, swing and screens usually work if you run the DB's off. But you have to show something to bring the safetys up. Even if you show run, the Raven safetys will stay deep. If thats the case, come up under center and don't show play action, just drop and throw timing passes. Or run out of the shotgun.

On defense, the Chiefs have to dare Flacco to throw deep on them. They MUST keep their safetys up and play their Db's off about 10 yards to keep eveerything in front of them. LIKE THE STEELERS DO. Flacco throws a good deep ball, but I think the Chiefs corners are above average.

The Chiefs will use the steeler scheme, but be successful because they can and do run the ball well. If the safetys come up, Cassel has deep weapons. Just like the steelers. The difference is that the Chiefs don't hesitate to use the deep ball.

The only question is : Can Flacco hit deep passes on the chiefs DB's. Nope!

wutchy
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
If and when the steelers play NE at foxboro, we should hope that the weather is terrible. That means the running game will be all in all.
NE can't run the ball. Neither can the steelers, but they can outrun NE.

the WEATHER factor will be the deciding factor.

sarahpalinhater
01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
If and when the steelers play NE at foxboro, we should hope that the weather is terrible. That means the running game will be all in all.
NE can't run the ball. Neither can the steelers, but they can outrun NE.

the WEATHER factor will be the deciding factor.

The Pats, and especially Green-Ellis ran all over us in the first game...did you not see it ? And remember when the Pats played at Chicago ? Remember what that weather was like ? It was colder, and more windy then ANY game ever played in Pittsburgh, or New England. And the Pats ran all over the Bears defense, and passed as well in 50-70 MPH winds.

So much for your theory!

saveus1011
01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Like Foxy Shazam says...

And we won't back down this time
No we won't back down this time

We're unstoppable
No we can't be defeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated

THE BIG PAYBACK WHILE WE'RE KNOCKIN' ON SEVEN'S DOOR

SoCalFan
01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
GAWD,I hope the team is not putting as much thought into beating the patsys as everyone here is!We gotta get there first!

bobby jr
01-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Just watch the films of the Ravens beating the stuffing out of NE in the playoffs last year in NE.

The Ravens hit them hard and fast with Ray Rice running for 83 yards before the fans had settled in their seats and the defense forcing Brady into 3 turnovers in the first quarter. The Ravens match up well with the Pats and always play them tough.

sarahpalinhater
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Just watch the films of the Ravens beating the stuffing out of NE in the playoffs last year in NE.

The Ravens hit them hard and fast with Ray Rice running for 83 yards before the fans had settled in their seats and the defense forcing Brady into 3 turnovers in the first quarter. The Ravens match up well with the Pats and always play them tough.

Know what the difference between losing to a team by 3 points, and losing by 13 points, or 30 points ?...absolutely NOTHING!! Bottom line if Baltimore plays the Pats...The Ravens are playing GOLF the very next day :doh:

bobby jr
01-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Know what the difference between losing to a team by 3 points, and losing by 13 points, or 30 points ?...absolutely NOTHING!! Bottom line if Baltimore plays the Pats...The Ravens are playing GOLF the very next day :doh:

Huge difference between losing by 3 and 30.

You lose by 3, you can't wait to get at them again and beat them next time. You lose by 30, you want to avoid that team and will probably lose to them again.

The Ravens are the ONLY team in recent years to go into NE and blow the Patriots away.

SH-Rock
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: You might have whiplash if you followed the sudden and unexpected improvement in New England's pass defense.
As recently as Thanksgiving, New England ranked a dismal 27th in Defensive Passer Rating (94.7). No team in history had won a championship with a pass defense even close to that porous. The Patriots weren't going to win one either.
Here's the performance of QBs against New England's defense through 10 games:
• 275 of 396, 69.4%, 3,002 yards, 7.58 YPA, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 94.7 rating
But look again. Here's the performance of QBs against New England's defense in the past six games:
• 114 of 216, 52.8%, 1,343 yards, 6.2 YPA, 5 TDs, 12 INTs, 56.5 rating
Wow. What a difference. As a result, the Patriots end the year a respectable 13th in Defensive Passer Rating (81.2), about the leaguewide average. And they finish second in Passer Rating Differential (+28.5). The average NFL champion, dating all the way to 1940, has posted a Passer Rating Differential of +27.0.
Dominate the air wars, dominate on the scoreboard. And over the past six weeks nobody has dominated the passing battles on both sides of the ball like New England.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/01/04/nfl-playoffs/index.html#ixzz1ACDCVmQk

So the key is to run the ball

steelers33
01-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I just read a great article about the improvement of our pass defense since we played the patriots. Pretty much our pass defense has been the best in the league since we played the Pats. It is due to the fact that our corners and Ryan Clark are playing closer to the LOS and were not getting dink and dunked on as much. This is a great scheme change if we where to play the Patriots again. Brady and other elite quarterbacks have proven time and time again you can et yards and points on us by short passes which LeBeau finally realized. While we are more vulnerable to the big play, we have the best talent and athleticism on defense anyways that's hard to do. On top of that it is well documented that the Patriots lack a deep ball threat since Moss left. I expect a much better defensive showing the second time around if we play, ultimately resulting in a W.

TRH
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
the game's already been played, didn't you know? Where ya'll been? The patrios have already won the SB.....at least according to every TV analyst alive....i don't even know why the playoffs are being played this year lol
The truth is the Patriots can beaten a number of ways. I'm starting to really think they'll get knocked out

wutchy
01-05-2011, 07:34 PM
1+1 always equals 2.

1. The Patriots o-line never struggles against a 3-4.
1. The Patriots always struggle against a 4-3.
1+1= 2

sarahpalinhater
01-05-2011, 07:51 PM
1+1 always equals 2.

1. The Patriots o-line never struggles against a 3-4.
1. The Patriots always struggle against a 4-3.
1+1= 2

Really ? The Jets have beaten them 5 times in the past 4 years, twice at New England...they run a 3-4 defense. We beat them by 3 TD's in 2008..WE run a 3-4 defense. The Dolphins have beaten them 3 times in the past few seasons..what do they run ?..Oh yeah, a 3-4 defense. So to has Houston, and a couple of more 3-4 defenses have beaten them the past couple of seasons.

So please, go learn something before you Spew, okay ?

sarahpalinhater
01-05-2011, 08:04 PM
The Ravens are the ONLY team in recent years to go into NE and blow the Patriots away.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and it is also the ONLY time in Baltimore's HISTORY that they won against them. All the rest of the games the Pats have " Beat " You! And that playoff game last season was a Brain Fart " game. I mean what exactly did your QB or the passing game do ? What was Flacco's QB rating for that game ?...like 10! :applaudit:

Brady had a " Brain Fart " game. 3 picks in the 1st quarter...2 of them by players that aren't even on your team now. And you guys Ran all over them...but the Pats have 5 new players on defense this season that were NOT on the team last season. Hey dude get over yourself. Even the CLIPPERS beat the Lakers every Blue moon.

And the Ravens ARE the Clippers :rofl::rofl::rofl:

mizzouristeeler
01-05-2011, 08:32 PM
THE RAVENS ARE THE CLIPPERS!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

bobby jr
01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
The Ravens are the ONLY team in recent years to go into NE and blow the Patriots away.

Yes, and it is also the ONLY time in Baltimore's HISTORY that they won against them. All the rest of the games the Pats have " Beat " You! And that playoff game last season was a Brain Fart " game. I mean what exactly did your QB or the passing game do ? What was Flacco's QB rating for that game ?...like 10! :applaudit:

Brady had a " Brain Fart " game. 3 picks in the 1st quarter...2 of them by players that aren't even on your team now. And you guys Ran all over them...but the Pats have 5 new players on defense this season that were NOT on the team last season. Hey dude get over yourself. Even the CLIPPERS beat the Lakers every Blue moon.

And the Ravens ARE the Clippers :rofl::rofl::rofl:[/QUOTE]

The Ravens have usually played the Pats very tough and we even almost had them beaten in their unbeaten regular season. With Kyle Boller as QB! We stuffed Brady on a 4th and 1 QB sneak, and we could have run out the clock in the 4th, but Rex Ryan had called a timeout which nobody noticed, otherwise the Ravens would've won that game.

The Ravens blew them out in the most important game the two have had, the playoff game last year in Foxborough, and we almost beat them again this year.

The Baltimore Ravens are the one team that the Patriots don't want to face in the playoffs.

As an aside it is somewhat puzzling to me why the Pats have an easy time with the Steelers, who play a similar style of physical game as the Ravens. Unlike the Ravens Pats games, which are usually close, the Steelers Pats games are usually one sided in favor of New England.

My own conclusion is that this comes down to coaching, that Harbaugh matches up well with Bilichick, and Tomlin does not, in game prep and adjustments during the game.

sarahpalinhater
01-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Bobby jr,,,seriously, you are an idiot. The steelers have beaten the Pats more in the past 5 years then Baltimore has. The steelers have also lost several close games to the Pats, and have blown them out as well. I mean God dude, try fact checking before you talk Idiotic trash!

Third Rail
01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
The Pats weren't playing as well last season as they are now. They are also playing better now than they were when the Ravens played them this season. That might sound like a cop-out, but it's a fact... the Bills hung 30 points on the Pats early in the season, and the Jets beat them. When the teams met again, New England blew both of them out.

Anyone who thinks that they're afraid of the Ravens - or any team for that matter right now - should have their head examined.

sarahpalinhater
01-05-2011, 09:49 PM
The Pats weren't playing as well last season as they are now. They are also playing better now than they were when the Ravens played them this season. That might sound like a cop-out, but it's a fact... the Bills hung 30 points on the Pats early in the season, and the Jets beat them. When the teams met again, New England blew both of them out.

Anyone who thinks that they're afraid of the Ravens - or any team for that matter right now - should have their head examined.

The reason why Brady probably plays timid against the Ravens is because he is probably looking at Ray Lewis to see if he has a Knife :doh:

Fire Arians
01-05-2011, 10:32 PM
The reason why Brady probably plays timid against the Ravens is because he is probably looking at Ray Lewis to see if he has a Knife :doh:

and he might get punched in the nose by haloti ngata after he gets stabbed by ray lewis. and terrell suggs might be almost as ugly as jack lambert. he aint a dirty player as far as i know, but he runs around being ugly all over the place

jacksolomon
01-05-2011, 11:39 PM
The Ravens have usually played the Pats very tough and we even almost had them beaten in their unbeaten regular season. With Kyle Boller as QB! We stuffed Brady on a 4th and 1 QB sneak, and we could have run out the clock in the 4th, but Rex Ryan had called a timeout which nobody noticed, otherwise the Ravens would've won that game.

The Ravens blew them out in the most important game the two have had, the playoff game last year in Foxborough, and we almost beat them again this year.

The Baltimore Ravens are the one team that the Patriots don't want to face in the playoffs.

As an aside it is somewhat puzzling to me why the Pats have an easy time with the Steelers, who play a similar style of physical game as the Ravens. Unlike the Ravens Pats games, which are usually close, the Steelers Pats games are usually one sided in favor of New England.

My own conclusion is that this comes down to coaching, that Harbaugh matches up well with Bilichick, and Tomlin does not, in game prep and adjustments during the game.

Each post more idiotic than the last.

ZoneBlitzer
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
The key to beating the Patriots is to get to AFC Championship game first.

sarahpalinhater
01-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Can't argue with superior logic like that :noidea:

grward
01-06-2011, 03:33 PM
You have to hand it Booby, he doesn't give up.

wutchy
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
It's only going to become increasingly difficult for the Steelers to beat New England. The Pat's are in prime position in this years draft, and this years draft is probably the deepest and most talented that I've seen in my lifetime. With a young defense and no running game, the Patriots are the favorite to win it all. AMAZING!
Basically, they win by using underneath passing, and use that to set up double moves on deep passing.
The "key" to their success is giving Brady "time" - and lots of it- to pick his targets. To beat them , you have to put pressure on Brady and make him get rid of the ball before he wants to. In their last meeting, the Steelers failed miserably at getting pressure on Brady, and Brady exploited what pressure they could get.

Brady tends to melt down when he gets knocked down. If the steelers hope to make it to the big show, they're going to have to handle KC and then get to Brady in NE.
And KC will beat Baltimore.

I see it as either an all PA. super Bowl between Philly and Pittsburgh, or an All NE QB super bowl between Brady and Cassel. Cassel has a running game and great weapons in the passing game.

If the steelers can beat KC, then they should be able to handle NE if they can get pressure up the gut.

bobby jr
01-07-2011, 01:09 PM
The way to beat NE is to follow the Ravens model last year. Come out strong with a running game and pressure Brady before he gets settled in. He is subject to panic and bad decisions when he is pressed early that is what happened last year when he had 3 turnovers in the first quarter and the game was over before halftime.

As for the Ravens losing to KC, forget it. You are not going to get rid of us that easy. The best teams are playing on the road this weekend and the Ravens are one of them.

stb_steeler
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
You have to hand it Booby, he doesn't give up.

Neither does a skeeter buzzing around your ear.....:wink02:

StainlessStill
01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
As for the Ravens losing to KC, forget it. You are not going to get rid of us that easy. The best teams are playing on the road this weekend and the Ravens are one of them.

I disagree. I think the Ravens are one of the weaker teams in the Conference. Don't over look KC, they can bite you this weekend.

TRH
01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I disagree. I think the Ravens are one of the weaker teams in the Conference. Don't over look KC, they can bite you this weekend.

+ 1

stlrtruck
01-07-2011, 02:44 PM

And the second is to make sure you score more points than they do. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
And always, ALWAYS remember that if the quarterback throws the ball in the endzone and the wide receiver catches it....... Its a touchdown. And also, when your arm gets hit, the ball is not going to go where you want it to.

Words of wisdom.

Superbowl
01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I think the AFC Championship game is going to be between the Steelers and Patriots.

I also believe that the NFC Championship game is going to come down to Atlanta and Philadelphia.

I believe that the Eagles can beat the Falcons; putting the Eagles in the Super bowl.

The Patriots lost two pre-season games to the Rams and Giants, and two Regular season games to the Jets and Browns.

It seems to me that the Patriots offensive line handles 3-4 defenses very well. Brady gets all day to pick apart the secondary.

When teams go to a 4-3 front, it seems like the Patriots ofensive line has trouble picking it up, especially if the 4-3 defense uses line stunts and blitzes up the middle.

I think that the Steelers will have to put Brady on his back and hurry him in order to beat the Pats. From a 3-4 front I don't think they will be able to do it.

I think that LeBeau is smart enough to know that the strength of the Patriots is their offensive line. LeBeau is also smart enough to know that the Patriots struggle against a 4-3 front and line stunts and blitzes up the middle.

The question for me is " Will LeBeau tinker with the Defensive front enough to put pressure on Brady if the defense isn't getting pressure on Brady"?

I don't think that the Steelers can beat the Pats, or get pressure on Brady with a 3-4 front. If they mix it up and use a 4-3 at times, and use line stunts and run blitzes, THEN I think that the Steelers can beat Brady.

I just don't think that LeBeau will try to use the 4-3 at all because the Steelers aren't familiar with it. Therefore, I think an all PA. Super Bowl might not happen.

If you watch the film, you will see that the 4-3 gives the Pats fits. I hope that if the Steelers play the Pats in the AFC Championship game, they come out jn a 4-3.

In line with your point and a few observations

Interceptions and turnover ratio and pressure Brady are one of the very few ways to beat the pats. You have to be knocking brady to the ground. Sack and pressures. In addition,

offensively, penalties for long balls by Ben. Throw a bomb and towards Arrington or Chung who get called for penalties. Pats
have been great ball hawks but the secondary gives up easy plays. You beat pats by throwing and getting penalties and by being in Brady's face.

Superbowl
01-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Actually. The Pats should be worried about how to beat the Steelers IF we meet in the playoffs. I'm pretty confident the team is gonna go up to Boston like the allies did in the Normandy invasion in WWII... THIS time around.

Pats aren't worried how to beat the Steelers. They know how. Running on the pats isn't the answer. If you're gonna beat the pats, win the turnover ratio and have been throw and throw for Arrington and Chung are suspect and Meriweather keeps running over his own teammates.

Pats lose for their poor secondary IF Ben has time and it comes down to the Pats defensive line getting in the backfield. Outside of Wilfork, Warren #2 may be out too. I like Love but the Pats may not be able to penetrate opening Steelers up for throwing,, not running against Pats. Get a few penalties for those 30 yds.

Ravens game last year doesn't mean a thing except when the Pats get down they don't have the veteran cheerleaders to bring them back. No Bruschi, Vabrel, Harrison, McGinnis, Brady is finally a cheerleader again, but Pats don't do well at coming back.
Last year they were bumming playing without Welker but Brady didn't play well at all last year as a leader.

StylCurtainXL
01-07-2011, 04:00 PM
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: You might have whiplash if you followed the sudden and unexpected improvement in New England's pass defense.

• 114 of 216, 52.8%, 1,343 yards, 6.2 YPA, 5 TDs, 12 INTs, 56.5 rating
Wow. What a difference. As a result, the Patriots end the year a respectable 13th in Defensive Passer Rating (81.2), about the leaguewide average. And they finish second in Passer Rating Differential (+28.5). The average NFL champion, dating all the way to 1940, has posted a Passer Rating Differential of +27.0.
Dominate the air wars, dominate on the scoreboard. And over the past six weeks nobody has dominated the passing battles on both sides of the ball like New England.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/01/04/nfl-playoffs/index.html#ixzz1ACDCVmQk

So the key is to run the ball

Not that I disagree with running the ball but this improvement by the Pats passing D came against:

Hill
Sanchez
Cutler
M Flynn (who actually torched them pretty good in Foxboro)
Fitzpatrick
Thigpen/Henne

Not exactly murderers row of QB's

Superbowl
01-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Pats are concerned about #43 for Troy is a big game breaker AND the tackles best be good for if you don't Sack Ben the first time chances are he is going to complete a 30 yd pass. Pats have to make the tackles when they have the chance or will pay for Ben is one of the best for staying afoot and then landing a long pass.

Superbowl
01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Not that I disagree with running the ball but this improvement by the Pats passing D came against:

Hill
Sanchez
Cutler
Fitzpatrick
Thigpen/Henne

Pats have improved big time but since game 16 Pats are missing their defensive linemen except Wilfork. You beat the pats throwing, don't see it happening running. And then turnovers, if you don't win the turnover game or pressure Tom he will complete all day.
Pats got to keep ALL plays away from Troy. If Pats don't turn over I see them winning but if Troy and others create turnovers and Ben gets so he is passing then it should be one heck of a game.

I don't see Kansas City being any king of threat to Steelers with Troy back. I'd be shocked.

Superbowl
01-07-2011, 04:13 PM

Hill
Sanchez
Cutler
Fitzpatrick
Thigpen/Henne

Did well against Manning too until the worst Patriots have to offer.

The prevent defense can almost account for pats loosing to Manning and many others,
Big play after big play and that includes two super bowl wins that almost were lost because of the loser mentality of the Pats Prevent Defense that i hate at any and all points of time including when Parcells used to use it. Play to win.

Everyone is bragging about Cutler again. Sanchez was still playing good at the point lol. has more turnovers than touchdowns since that day I believe.

I don't see Steelers losing this weekend. I expect Manning to win but would love to see the Jets in Foxboro next week

Superbowl
01-07-2011, 04:24 PM

Giants in 07 strangling Seymour prevented a 4th superbowl but the Giants hit Brady so much that when everyone was WIDE open he missed because Tom hates to be hit and has NEVER had a good game when the hits keep coming. so have to agree with you.

Third Rail
01-08-2011, 03:45 AM
The way to beat NE is to follow the Ravens model last year. Come out strong with a running game and pressure Brady before he gets settled in. He is subject to panic and bad decisions when he is pressed early that is what happened last year when he had 3 turnovers in the first quarter and the game was over before halftime.

Hey everyone, look. Bobby has imparted his divine wisdom on us. He says that the Ravens won't lose to Kansas City, and we'd better believe him because he's always right, like when he said that the Ravens would steamroll over the Steelers in Week 13 and win the AFC North.

Oh, wait...

Superbowl
01-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Hey everyone, look. Bobby has imparted his divine wisdom on us. He says that the Ravens won't lose to Kansas City, and we'd better believe him because he's always right, like when he said that the Ravens would steamroll over the Steelers in Week 13 and win the AFC North.

Oh, wait...

I don;t care KC being home or their running game. I think Ravens win. I totally agree the biggest way of beating Pats is getting a gift score early for Pats have Brady, Wilfork and just a few leaders but noone to get Brady back on track if he gets bummed out like he did last year losing Welker and then getting scored on the first play of the game with Ravens. Say what you will but I agree. Until Tom is relaxed in the game any quick scores get Tom unmotivated and set up a chance to steamroll. Tom is fine coming back once he is in sync, so scoring early is huge

stlrtruck
01-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I don;t care KC being home or their running game. I think Ravens win. I totally agree the biggest way of beating Pats is getting a gift score early for Pats have Brady, Wilfork and just a few leaders but noone to get Brady back on track if he gets bummed out like he did last year losing Welker and then getting scored on the first play of the game with Ravens. Say what you will but I agree. Until Tom is relaxed in the game any quick scores get Tom unmotivated and set up a chance to steamroll. Tom is fine coming back once he is in sync, so scoring early is huge

I agree that the ravens can beat KC, but if they do it won't be by much. I believe that KC can hang in and win the game too. Matter of fact I see this game going one of two ways. It's either KC wins going away or the ravens win a close one by 3.

As for marsha, you are spot on. Get him uneasy from the beginning and keep him on edge.

bobby jr
01-08-2011, 09:46 AM

12-4 and the Ravens are one of the weaker teams in the conference?
3 straight trips to the playoffs, road playoff wins the last two seasons. One of the best head coaches in the NFL. Ray Lewis. Joe Flacco. Ray Rice. Suggs. Enough said.

To be honest I am anticipating a relatively easy win in KC tomorrow. So are most Baltimore fans according to the Sun article this morning. Many are not making the trip to KC because they are looking towards the next round of the playoffs.

Of course anything will happen on the road. But I think next weekend the Steelers will have the Ravens to worry about.

ScreamingEagle
01-08-2011, 09:48 AM
If we play the Pats I want are big defense to hurt that little offense. I would like to see Clark put one of his hard hits on Branch and maybe have Harrison run over Woodhead, and possibly have Hampton sit on Brady.:thumbsup:

wutchy
01-08-2011, 11:41 PM
3 straight trips to the playoffs, road playoff wins the last two seasons. One of the best head coaches in the NFL. Ray Lewis. Joe Flacco. Ray Rice. Suggs. Enough said.

To be honest I am anticipating a relatively easy win in KC tomorrow. So are most Baltimore fans according to the Sun article this morning. Many are not making the trip to KC because they are looking towards the next round of the playoffs.

Of course anything will happen on the road. But I think next weekend the Steelers will have the Ravens to worry about.

You'd think the Steelers would rather face the Ravens. At least they know them. Too bad the game wouldn't be in Baltimore though. Steelers need to go on the road to get a home field advantage because the Heinz field crowd is so quiet compared to steeler nation.

steelcityboyz
01-09-2011, 10:45 AM
The steeler defense MUST get to tommy to win this game. Brady has shown that when he is knocked around and hassled, he looks just average to me. Harrison, Woodly and the d-line,have to have career days along with ben putting up tds instead of fgs have to have a chance to win this game.

Superbowl
01-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Pats are pretty bad for the same reason. I hate the prevent defense,

Superbowl
01-09-2011, 11:02 AM

I'll be shocked if KC wins and their last game was so poor

TRH
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't call them one of the weaker teams in the division, but i think the Jets, Steelers, and Patriots are better teams. I'd put them at a strong 4th.
Never anticipate "a relatively easy" win in KC. Thats always someone's downfall. Look what happened in Seattle. Even some of the Saints players admitted they took it to lightly.

fortmemphis
01-09-2011, 02:39 PM

That is dead on.The only way we can beat the Pats is to get pressure on Brady. Brady, Brees, Sanchez all beat us this year with quick strike dink and dunk passing before we could get anybody to the QB. We hardly touched Sanchez in the loss at Heinz Field. We never sacked him and I dont think even pressured him. Same with Brady, he had time to get the quick pass off and that set up all the rest.
So, you are correct when you say we need pressure. We need serious pressure that disrupts Brady or Flacco or Cassel, whoever we play. Our secondary cant just shut down WR's, especially the big receivers that the Jets have. Edwards and Smith are huge and our DBs wont shut them down a whole game.
And the offense could help a lot by running the football more and keeping the opposing offense off the field. I love quick strike big plays just like the next guy. But passing on 1st down, missing, then running Mendy and getting 2 yards then having 3rd and 8 and having to pass wont get it done. 3 and outs kill our D. We need to keep Brady, Sanchez, Flacco or Cassel OFF the field. 3 and outs are murder for us.

bigchuck
01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
the best way to beat the pats is to have peyton manning beat them, which wont happen. our best bet was to have the ravens beat up on the pats and us get a beaten up pats team in the AFCCG

wutchy
01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
I hope LeBeau watched the Packers against the Eagles today, and the light came on. Dom Capers used a 3-4 , 4-3, zone blitz, 2 deep zone, and man coverage all day. The line stunted to create openings for Matthews to blitz.

LeBeau has become a little, well more than a little, predictable.

Capers came out of a different bag everytime the Packers Defense stepped on the field. I was watching the Packers pre-snap, and I couldn't guess what they were going to do at the snap all day. The stunts and twists were awe inspiring.

Deep outs, against man coverage, seemed to be the only option for the eagles all day. Soft spots in the zone were real small. I don't know how they did that. I think it was because he didn't blitz Db's all day, just LB's. They were coming off loops, twists, and wrap arounds, off stunts. It was a thing of beauty.

Capers and LeBeau are the greatest DC's ever.

tony hipchest
01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
leslie frazier also beat the eagles. :noidea:

eafratitpm3
01-10-2011, 02:03 AM
The key to beating the Patriots are to beat the Ravens IMO.

Heeeeeeeath
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I think IF we make it past the Ravens, then the next opponent is the Pats, we need to totally change our offense around against the Pats. Show them formations that we've never shown anyone else all year. Put someone in as a FB in the I-Form 3 WR formation, bring in Heath and Matt Spaeth and do I-Form 2 TE 0 WR... do whatever you can to throw them off. The Pats are not a more talented team than the Steelers, but until further notice, they ARE smarter. And that's what really matters in the end, football IQ.

They rely so much on scouting/film watching... how do you think Matt Flynn (a backup) of all people dissected them on national TV? They had no film for him... they knew nothing about him.

They know our offense right now probably better than Bruce does... we have to change it or we have no shot. Just my opinion.

ricardisimo
01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Before I can really effectively add to this thread, I need to know why "KEY" is in quotes and caps. Why not also bold, italics and underlined... or double strike-through, for that matter? If it's all some sort of al Qaeda or Free Mason code, then I need to go about my business elsewhere.

wutchy
01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
The "key" is trhe one thing yoiu have to do to be successful, without doing it, you won't be successful.

The "key" to beating the Patriots is to get pressure on Brady. I watch all the games every week at the local sports bar. [they have $1.00 bottles and free food]. They have 15 big screens. I always sit where i can watch the Steelers, and a couple other teams that I like to watch.

I made it a point to watch a lot of the Patriots games and Ravens games this year.

The thing that stuck out to me all year about the Patriots is that Brady had so much time to stand in the pocket and survey the field. Brady is a hot-head, he cries like a bitch when he gets hit. His throws are off when he has to throw earely. Pressure really gets to him. He is a scared passer when you put pressure on him.

Pressure on Brady is the key to beating the Pats. They have no running game. They have no real deep threat.
Brady and the WR's need time to get open and connect.

If you don't pressure Brady, he will pick you apart. They all make good pre-snap reads, and are excellent hot route runners. You almost have to get to Brady so fast, that you are untouched with a straight shot at him.

To do that, you have to line stunt and blitz up the middle. Get in his face before he can even set up.

wutchy
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I think IF we make it past the Ravens, then the next opponent is the Pats, we need to totally change our offense around against the Pats. Show them formations that we've never shown anyone else all year. Put someone in as a FB in the I-Form 3 WR formation, bring in Heath and Matt Spaeth and do I-Form 2 TE 0 WR... do whatever you can to throw them off. The Pats are not a more talented team than the Steelers, but until further notice, they ARE smarter. And that's what really matters in the end, football IQ.

They rely so much on scouting/film watching... how do you think Matt Flynn (a backup) of all people dissected them on national TV? They had no film for him... they knew nothing about him.

They know our offense right now probably better than Bruce does... we have to change it or we have no shot. Just my opinion.

Against the Ravens, all that stuff might apply. I think someone like Randall-El is gonna have to do somethin crazy and make a couple big plays. Troy can't be expected to do it every week. As far as Matt Spaeth goes, NOT THERE IS A WASTED ROSTER SPOT.

Anyway, to beat the Ravens, the OFFENSE needs to make some plays.
To beat the Patriots, the DEFENSE needs to make some plays.

ricardisimo
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
The "key" is trhe one thing yoiu have to do to be successful, without doing it, you won't be successful.

The "key" to beating the Patriots is to get pressure on Brady. I watch all the games every week at the local sports bar. [they have $1.00 bottles and free food]. They have 15 big screens. I always sit where i can watch the Steelers, and a couple other teams that I like to watch.

I made it a point to watch a lot of the Patriots games and Ravens games this year.

The thing that stuck out to me all year about the Patriots is that Brady had so much time to stand in the pocket and survey the field. Brady is a hot-head, he cries like a bitch when he gets hit. His throws are off when he has to throw earely. Pressure really gets to him. He is a scared passer when you put pressure on him.

Pressure on Brady is the key to beating the Pats. They have no running game. They have no real deep threat.
Brady and the WR's need time to get open and connect.

If you don't pressure Brady, he will pick you apart. They all make good pre-snap reads, and are excellent hot route runners. You almost have to get to Brady so fast, that you are untouched with a straight shot at him.

To do that, you have to line stunt and blitz up the middle. Get in his face before he can even set up.
Fascinating. The "KEY" to avoid annoying people on these "boards" is simply to write your sentences as you would speak them. You don't strike me as someone who speaks quotes, much less italics or semicolons, so you should just stick to making ridiculous claims about how "quiet" Heinz Field is in short, crisply composed plain "English" sentences.

$1 bottles with free food, eh? Please pass along my kindest regards to everyone else in Estonia.
Minna Terasetööstuse-tööliste! :tt03:

So, all we have to do is go after Brady? Hit him, pressure him, "sack" him? That is absolutely "ingenious"! I can't figure out why all of those "Einsteins" posing as defensive coordinators didn't think of that. He was only "sacked" 25 times all season, including not once by the "Steelers". I guess Lebeau's "plan" was not to sack him at all. What a dope! Hopefully he wanders on to SteelersFever and stumbles upon your "treatise".

A million thanks to you, wutchy.

wutchy
01-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Fascinating. The "KEY" to avoid annoying people on these "boards" is simply to write your sentences as you would speak them. You don't strike me as someone who speaks quotes, much less italics or semicolons, so you should just stick to making ridiculous claims about how "quiet" Heinz Field is in short, crisply composed plain "English" sentences.

$1 bottles with free food, eh? Please pass along my kindest regards to everyone else in Estonia.
Minna Terasetööstuse-tööliste! :tt03:

So, all we have to do is go after Brady? Hit him, pressure him, "sack" him? That is absolutely "ingenious"! I can't figure out why all of those "Einsteins" posing as defensive coordinators didn't think of that. He was only "sacked" 25 times all season, including not once by the "Steelers". I guess Lebeau's "plan" was not to sack him at all. What a dope! Hopefully he wanders on to SteelersFever and stumbles upon your "treatise".

A million thanks to you, wutchy.

YOU MADE MY POINT NUTJOB. HE WAS ONLY SACKED 25 TIMES ALL SEASON. THEY WENT 14-2. NOT ONCE BY THE STEELERS.

YOU MIGHT THINK LEBEAUS PLAN WAS TO NOT SACK HIM, BUT I NEVER SAID THAT. THAT IS THE FREAKIN REASON FOR THE THREAD. TO CALL ATTENTION TO THE FACT THAT THE "KEY" TO BEATING THE PATRIOTS IS TO HIT BRADY.

NO SACKS OR HITS ON BRADY = NO WIN.

P.S. WHAT, NO $1.00 BOTTLES OF BEER AND FREE FOOD DURING SUNDAY FOOTBALL IN YOUR TOWN?

DRIVE TO SHERIDAN WYOMING, GET A ROOM AT THE HOLIDAY INN, GO TO SCOOTERS BAR AT NOON. BOTTLES OF BEER $1.00 + FREE CORN DOGS, CHICKEN TENDERS, CHILI, CHIPS AND DIP, AND NACHOS AND SALSA.
YOU'LL BE ABLE TO WATCH THE GAME ON 15 BIG SCREEN PLASMAS AND EAT ALL YOU WANT, AND SPEND ABOUT $5.00 ON BEER.

WE HAVE A STEELER SECTION. SO DOES THE MAIN STREET BAR DOWNTOWN.

*******ALL CAPS, JUST FOR YOU.

lionslicer
01-12-2011, 12:44 AM
I've been hearing that the Jets will do the opposite of what people are saying to do agains the Patriots. They didn't blitz Manning, and look what they did against him, will doing that against Brady work? Steelers might want to pay extra attention to what the Jets do. Because what they do and how it works will dictate what the Steelers do in the AFCC if the Patriots win.

Heeeeeeeath
01-12-2011, 03:27 AM
Against the Ravens, all that stuff might apply. I think someone like Randall-El is gonna have to do somethin crazy and make a couple big plays. Troy can't be expected to do it every week. As far as Matt Spaeth goes, NOT THERE IS A WASTED ROSTER SPOT.

Anyway, to beat the Ravens, the OFFENSE needs to make some plays.
To beat the Patriots, the DEFENSE needs to make some plays.

Disagree... to beat a team like the Pats, you need plays by BOTH sides.

CaliStillersFan
01-12-2011, 04:26 AM
Isn't it slightly early for this topic to be floating on this board?

wutchy
01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
The Steelers and Ravens are evenly matched in all facets of the game.
The Ravens are good, but they are slow.
The Steelers are well aware of that, plus the Ravens are playing on a short week.
They will be slower and tend to tire more easily.
The Steelers know that.

Obviously, the Steelers will run the hurry up offense and maybe the no huddle to wear down the slow, tired , Ravens.

Victory should be evident by the end of the third quarter on Saturday.
STEELERS WIN.!

The Jets are no match for the Patriots. They won't get to Brady unless they play something like a 4-6 defense. They have the skill sets to do that, but they will probably play a lot of man, and rush three, blitzing occassionaly. Ala the Steelers. We already know that doesn't work.
Brady will recognize any blitz and check off to the hot routes. The Pats are experts at executing the hot read and slant pass, crossing, and anything they can get when the WR's run-off the man coverage. Hit the #3 reciever underneath.
Ryan has the best set of CB's in the biz, he will trust them and blitz sparingly, electing to cover instead, and look for picks.
PATRIOTS WIN!

In that case, this thread is timely.

The Steelers will need to find a way to get to Brady for the Steelers to win.

Heeeeeeeath
01-12-2011, 05:46 PM
The bottom line is, no matter how good our D would happen to play against the Pats, we would have to score at least 2 TD's in the first half to give ourselves a shot to win.

ricardisimo
01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
The bottom line is, no matter how good our D would happen to play against the Pats, we would have to score at least 2 TD's in the first half to give ourselves a shot to win.
The first quarter of the first Jets-Patriots game was scoreless, and then NE was up 7-0, and then 14-7 before the Jets won it. In the Cleveland game, the mighty Browns went up by 10 in the first quarter before the Cheats started scoring, but that's hardly what I'd call a comfortable cushion against any team in today's NFL.

Neither game was a shootout, and both the Jets and Browns would have won with 17 points, as it turned out. Also, neither team sacked Brady more than once. Why doesn't anybody look at how teams actually beat the Patriots before formulating how it needs to be done?

How did they do it? They both rushed the ball very effectively against the Cheats' vanilla run D, controlling the clock and keeping the ball out of Tom Brady's hands as much as possible. It's not sexy, but it works. Which is to say the Steelers are unlikely to do it if given the chance in the AFCCG.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
YOU MADE MY POINT NUTJOB. .

:toofunny: .....the CHAMPIONSHIP is mine !!! :rofl:

ricardisimo
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
:toofunny: .....the CHAMPIONSHIP is mine !!! :rofl:
D'oh! :doh: :banging: http://smiliesftw.com/x/suicide.gif

wutchy
01-12-2011, 11:57 PM
I've been hearing that the Jets will do the opposite of what people are saying to do agains the Patriots. They didn't blitz Manning, and look what they did against him, will doing that against Brady work? Steelers might want to pay extra attention to what the Jets do. Because what they do and how it works will dictate what the Steelers do in the AFCC if the Patriots win.

You know what the Jets are going to do. Play man and sit in coverage with the best DB's in the game. They won't try for pressure, they will try to win with coverge and pass defense. they'll let Brady throw, and their corners make plays on the ball.
Cromartie and Revis are two of the best. Ryan will trust them in single man coverage.
Ryan will rush 3, and blitz LB's , just like the Steelers did, Ryan has to believe in his two corners in coverage. Safties will play up, just like the Steelers did.
Ryan will use the Steeler scheme with confidence because he knows that the PATS WR's can't beat his two corners. And his safties will stay in coverage. Blitzes will come from the LB's. AGAIN, JUST LIKE THE STEELERS.

Brady may not hit anything deep, but he will nickel and dime the Jets all day.
Brady will beat the Jets safties in the dink and dunk game.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-13-2011, 12:05 AM

Are we watching the same dude? Cuz Ive seen shit swarming around him like its an F5 tornado and he just jerks head left to right, steps up and fires off a complete pass.

plenewken
01-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Are we watching the same dude? Cuz Ive seen shit swarming around him like its an F5 tornado and he just jerks head left to right, steps up and fires off a complete pass.

Yes, and he did it more consistently than anyone else in this league this season. That's why his stats are better across the board.

stlrtruck
01-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Here's the KEY to beating the patriots*:

FIRST BEAT THE ratbirds!

Footballjunkie
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Here's the KEY to beating the patriots*:

FIRST BEAT THE ratbirds!

You are so right.
Go Steelers

stb_steeler
01-13-2011, 04:32 PM

Superbowl
01-14-2011, 12:27 PM

When Bledsoe came in for Tom Brady. It wasn't a tackle, It was a play to take Brady out f the game..no?

One hold play not called equals anything from Spygate. Watching from the game which is legal would tell a team more. Heck the qbs call off most plays

kirklandrules
01-14-2011, 03:04 PM
When Bledsoe came in for Tom Brady. It wasn't a tackle, It was a play to take Brady out f the game..no?

One hold play not called equals anything from Spygate. Watching from the game which is legal would tell a team more. Heck the qbs call off most plays

I was going to send an insulting reply to your post ... but saw your icon and lost the thought.:thumbsup:

Footballjunkie
01-14-2011, 03:59 PM

The key to beating the Patriots is putting more points on the board than they do.
Trouble is very few teams this year have figured out how to do that.

theplatypus
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
The key to beating the Patriots in beating the Ravens tomorrow.

SH-Rock
01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
One thing I'd like all of you to know is that even though the Patriots destroyed us, we pretty much had the same statistics.

Tom Brady 30/43 350 yards 3TD
Ben Roethlisberger 30/49 387 yards 3TD

Total Rushing Patriots 103 yards
Total Rushing Steelers 76 yards

Total Yards Patriots 453 yards
Total Yards Steelers 463 yards
Note this is excluding sacks

Total First Downs Patriots 26
Total First Downs Steelers 27

But here are the key differences
Jeff Reed 1/2 FG
Shayne Graham 2/2 FG

Patriot Sacks 5
Steelers Sacks 0

Interceptions Patriots 1 (and it was returned for a TD)
Interceptions Steelers 0

So we have fixed our problem with the kicker.
Ben hasn't thrown an interception in a while so props to him.
The O-line is still horrible and it'll be up to Ben just have those quick passes.
D Lebeau will have to bring the pressure and early to ruin the Patriots offense and make them out of sync.

plenewken
01-16-2011, 12:25 PM
One thing I'd like all of you to know is that even though the Patriots destroyed us, we pretty much had the same statistics.

Tom Brady 30/43 350 yards 3TD
Ben Roethlisberger 30/49 387 yards 3TD

Total Rushing Patriots 103 yards
Total Rushing Steelers 76 yards

Total Yards Patriots 453 yards
Total Yards Steelers 463 yards
Note this is excluding sacks

Total First Downs Patriots 26
Total First Downs Steelers 27

But here are the key differences
Jeff Reed 1/2 FG
Shayne Graham 2/2 FG

Patriot Sacks 5
Steelers Sacks 0

Interceptions Patriots 1 (and it was returned for a TD)
Interceptions Steelers 0

So we have fixed our problem with the kicker.
Ben hasn't thrown an interception in a while so props to him.
The O-line is still horrible and it'll be up to Ben just have those quick passes.
D Lebeau will have to bring the pressure and early to ruin the Patriots offense and make them out of sync.

We had the same stats but ours meant squat. Marching between the 20yds lines just to choke in the red zone doesn't cut it
We could only score 3 pts in 3 quarters!!

SH-Rock
01-16-2011, 12:35 PM
We had the same stats but ours meant squat. Marching between the 20yds lines just to choke in the red zone doesn't cut it
We could only score 3 pts in 3 quarters!!

True so to beat Brady we need to keep him off the the field and bring pressure.

ricardisimo
01-16-2011, 12:37 PM
First he needs to win his game. Personally I'd prefer to play the Pats. It would make a SB victory that much sweeter. But still, it's hardly a done deal. Jets could win.:noidea:

Kanata-Steeler
01-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh ya, beating the Pats, AND then getting the SuperBowl, that would permenantly rip ALL the "Brady" monkeys off our back forever. that would be sweet.
But, my gut feeling is I'd rather face the Jets at a chance to get to the SB, than the Pats.

But the one key this time, is NOT let Brady shred our Defense this time 'round, 'fer starters ?

SH-Rock
01-16-2011, 07:47 PM
WTF MAN
I worked pretty hard to type all those stats and now the Jets win...

tanda10506
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
The "key" to beating the Patriots: be the Jets! Have fun at home Brady, you rat b@stard!

wutchy
01-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Ryan had a lot of balls playing that man coverage and sticking with it all day. Brady couldn't beat the LB's because the jets got pressure on him with 3 rushers right up the gut. AMAZING! Sometimes they got pressure on Brady with two - count em - TWO down linemen.! What studs!

SteelerFanInATL
01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
LETING THEM PLAY THE JETS......:rofl::sofunny::tombstone

StainlessStill
01-16-2011, 10:09 PM
The key to beating the Patriots is hoisting that Lombardi Trophy on our podium in Dallas, Texas while pretty boy sits in his living room getting his nails painted by Gisele!

tony hipchest
01-16-2011, 11:09 PM
*flushes thread*

wfltikFvhWc

stlrtruck
01-16-2011, 11:46 PM
the key to beating the patriots* is the jets.

Have you noticed that the last two times the patriots* had an opportunity to play the Steelers in the AFCCG, they'v e tanked