PDA

View Full Version : Draft Predictions

Suitanim
04-17-2006, 04:59 PM
NOT who will go where, but who do you think will be a bust? Who will be this years 2nd day draft pick that just comes in and shocks the World?

This is a chance to have a little fun and make wild and bold prognostications, with little or no consequence, so don't get too serious if somebody disses one of your boys.

I'll start:

Vince Young AND Matt Leinart will be BOTH be busts...Cutler and Croyle will both end up being more valuable.

Nick Mangold will become an all-pro center, whether we take him or not.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be the best player (long term) taken in the top 10 of the draft.

Chad Jackson will go the way of Troy Edwards

tony hipchest
04-17-2006, 05:20 PM
steelers will draft someone who has flown under the fans radar. probably someone who hasnt been discussed much. a non sexy pick. someone like c. hampton(not necessarily that position). either that or they trade out of #32.

if l. white falls below #25, he will be looked at as the steal of the draft in 3 years.

m. leinart will hold out like p. rivers did. he already is stomping his feet and crying that he wants to be #1 and the #1 money that goes along with it.

h. baskett will do better than f. gibson but no rookie wr cracks 1000 yds.

n. mangold will be a steal for whoever gets him.

a north carolina player will be defensive rookie oty.

r. bush is not a flop, does very good with a porous offensive line and is roty and possibly makes the pro bowl (kick return?)

Haiku_Dirtt
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
NOT who will go where, but who do you think will be a bust? Who will be this years 2nd day draft pick that just comes in and shocks the World?

This is a chance to have a little fun and make wild and bold prognostications, with little or no consequence, so don't get too serious if somebody disses one of your boys.

I'll start:

Vince Young AND Matt Leinart will be BOTH be busts...Cutler and Croyle will both end up being more valuable.

Nick Mangold will become an all-pro center, whether we take him or not.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be the best player (long term) taken in the top 10 of the draft.

Chad Jackson will go the way of Troy Edwards

No dispute. As a bust I assume you are factoring in the hype and size of contract. I don't see Leinart becoming the next Ryan Leaf but his arm-strength will probably do him in. I'd like to see Mangold go outside of the AFC North.

I'm going with Winston Justice at tackle (homer) - dude is fast and strong. But I didn't see many Virginia games.

David Kirtman on Day Two. Excellent hands, super speed and strong lead blocker. The most underrated offensive player at SC.

Suitanim
04-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, by bust I mean he isn't the second coming of Joe Montana like he's being hyped to be, much more like Tim Couch.

I also want to add that Domenik Hixon is my triple super duper sleeper pick (even though it's not much of a secret anymore).

BB2W
04-17-2006, 05:40 PM
- Laurence Maroney turns out to be the best "every down" runningback in the draft.

- Tamba Hali won't suck as much as former 1st round PSU defensive ends Courtney Brown and Michael Haynes.

- The Carolina Panthers will select Lendale White with the 27th pick.

- Michael Robinson gets a few touches next season playing for the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers and shows glimpses of what he is capable of in the "slash" role. He scores one touchdown on a play fit for any highlight reel.

tony hipchest
04-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah, by bust I mean he isn't the second coming of Joe Montana like he's being hyped to be, much more like Tim Couch.

I also want to add that Domenik Hixon is my triple super duper sleeper pick (even though it's not much of a secret anymore).

just on pti: "r. jawarski has gone on record stating cutler will be better than leinart and young." jaws and merril study probably just as much as anyone before they go on the record with this stuff.

although some feel the jury is still out on this, wasnt the best qb in 2004, the 3rd qb taken?

+ definitely will be watching hixson hoping hes a steeler
+ definitely will be watching robinson and hoping hes a steeler

OX1947
04-17-2006, 06:15 PM
How bout this:

Steelers trade their 32nd pick 3,4,5 picks for the 2nd pick overall in the draft.

Steelers still have seven picks 1,2,4,4,5,6,7

Only thing is, who do you think we get at 2nd overall?

tony hipchest
04-17-2006, 06:20 PM
How bout this:

Steelers trade their 32nd pick 3,4,5 picks for the 2nd pick overall in the draft.

Steelers still have seven picks 1,2,4,4,5,6,7

Only thing is, who do you think we get at 2nd overall?

check the draft chart. drafting the last of each round, we'd be lucky if those picks traded would get us into the top 10. i think wed take the defensive lineman from north carolina though

Suitanim
04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I think that would actually get us more like a #20 pick...then again, not all teams assign the same relative weight to each pick, so...

BB2W
04-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Mel Kiper just made a pretty bold prediction saying that the Detroit Lions will actually not draft a wide receiver in the first round. I find this hard to beleive... Could it be true???

MasterOfPuppets
04-17-2006, 06:49 PM
vernon davis becomes the next antonio gates

santanio holmes has an average carear

vince young follows akili smiths path

tony hipchest
04-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I think that would actually get us more like a #20 pick...then again, not all teams assign the same relative weight to each pick, so...

i think it was a 1st 3rd and 4th to move up 11 spots (27 to 16?) to draft t. polamalu so, yeah 20 sounds about right. theres a definite ceiling to how high we can trade this year without dipping into next years picks, and if its a 4th or above, i bet the steelers would never even consider it. especially getting no comp picks next year. (maybe 1 for ike, which i doubt he leaves)

Koopa
04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
cutler will be another way overhyped worthless peice of shit which equals to what arron rogers is gonna be

Vernon Davis will be a bust

Santonio Holmes will be out of the league in 3 years or a worthless jorneyman

Vince Young will pull a big ben with the titans proving all his doubters/haters (cough suit cough lol) wrong and get the titans to meet us in the playoffs where he tears us apart through the air but we end up beating them with a game winning touchdown from duce staley

i would say more but i don't know a damn thing about college ball aside from UT, so i can't make any second round predictions, well i can but they'll be bias lol...**** it

rodrique wright ends up being the best to come out of the second round and makes every gm commit suicide for not picking him, except ours cause well we picked him lol

clevestinks
04-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Koopa sticking with his Texas guys. I say Young will be ..........................

MasterOfPuppets
04-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Koopa sticking with his Texas guys. I say Young will be ..........................
and he done went and dissed my terp...lol

Koopa
04-17-2006, 08:26 PM
and he done went and dissed my terp...lol

i'm guessing you are talkin about davis, i'm just being stupid with this post, i think he's gonna be badass, i was trying to get players that were being hyped a lot on espn and talkin down on them...........well cutler i actually do believe what i said........and i beleive vince will prove his haters wrong maybe not big ben style but he will, and in two years when he's ripping it up in the nfl i'm gonna bring this thread up and say i told ya'll so (at least i will to the doubters/haters)

rgleason
04-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Well he did pretty much single handedly win a national championship, I don't think saying he is going to have a great career is the riskiest prediction.

Koopa
04-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Well he did pretty much single handedly win a national championship, I don't think saying he is going to have a great career is the riskiest prediction.

but i said he's gonna do it big ben style, and according to some doubters around here he's gonna be kordell

MasterOfPuppets
04-18-2006, 02:51 AM
danny wurfell was pretty damn good at the college level too.....:rolleyes:

clevestinks
04-18-2006, 08:45 AM
danny wurfell was pretty damn good at the college level too.....:rolleyes:
And that brings up a valid point, NO GAURANTEES! Just ask any browns fan, they havent been blesssed with a great first rounder in years

Haiku_Dirtt
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM

USC defense had more to do with the loss than Young had to do with a win.

Look no further than the absense of Lofa Tatupu. I don't know how many linebackers leave school early only to become a key component of the NFC championship team as a rookie. The entire defense was decimated by injuries. They were playing true freshman last year.

Look what USC did to Oklahoma the year before - 55-19 rout. Young played against the same OU team mid-season to the tune of a 12-0 loss (yes zero points) on 86 yards passing. If you are comparing apples to apples then perhaps the Rose Bowl may not be the best litmus test. Unless beating up on second, third and fourth stringers prepares you as a Top 10 pick.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-18-2006, 05:32 PM

I'm thinking better than Tim Couch. The two things you can count on with Leinart is that he can handle the pressure and he is not a problem child. Quite frankly if I were being asked the questions that he had to answer since the Oklahoma Orange Bowl rout, I'd probably be in a straight jacket drooling on a some padded concrete floor.

That being said anyone expecting the second coming of Montana is setting themselves up for disappointment. The supply of NFL-caliber QB's is (thankfully for us now) woefully low. The teams without have no choice but to pay the going rate - it's almost as if they have guns to their heads.

A triple super duper sleeper pick...say that 10 times fast.

Midnightwriter1
04-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Is really hard to say, ben was put in a greta situation because the Steelers were not going to be a team that was going to be in last place year after year and that is why i dont really think highly of taking a QB so high. If ge goes to Tenn I think would be best siutation for him because is already familiar with coahing staff and offense and Tenn is already in rebuilding mode. If he went to the Saints or Jets, i look at him to be a bust because i dont feel those teams will be .500 teams and those divisions are in an upswing and getting better. I think at first Young will be a more productive player because a SMART team will use him in a way like we used Stewart just because his althletic ability allows him to come in on different situations and possibly run option, Screens, possibly even at WR, 3rd and short .. 4th and short goaline ect.

I think in the end Leinart will be a decent QB, but he has some serious questions on his arm strength, but so did Brady. So hard to say but i have a feeling we will hear alot more about V Young than we will about Leiardt at the beginning. Until young has to play every down ( like Kordell ), he will be considered a better pick.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-19-2006, 04:45 AM
I think I'm over the idea of getting Lendale. I still think we should do whatever is possible to make him a Steeler. Slam dunk.

But I'm more (barely) intrigued by our mid-round picks. Players like Hixon are exactly the kind of players we should be going after now - 'cap' friendly with huge upside. Would Steve Largent or Jerry Rice mean the difference between winning or losing the Super Bowl. History is speaking for itself.

I want Kevin Colbert to go for the triple super duper sleeper picks this year. It's just plainly smart.

Suitanim
04-19-2006, 09:36 AM
The key will be where these guys go, so I should clarify. I think Couch would've been a much more servicable QB had he gone just about anywhere else, but that bad OL just ate him up at Cleveland. If Leinert ends up starting in his first year behind an equally shitty OL, he could quite possibly end up in the same boat...but, that being said, I think he COULD start in his first year, along with Cutler.

If Young has to play right out of the shoot, he'll make Vick look like Marino when it's all said and done.