PDA

View Full Version : What does Aaron Smith bring?

injus5injus
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Haven't really paid attention to the D line as much as I have this year. What exactly does Aaron Smith bring to the team for him to be considered one of the most underrated players on the team. I realize being in a 3-4 he doesn't receive as much spotlight but what are his strengths... pass rush? holding down 2 O-line blockers for the LB's to rush? Tackles? Ziggy Hood looked pretty good out there this season. Is Aaron Smith on another level?

pancake
01-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh yes, Smith is on another level.

fer522
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Oh yes, Smith is on another level.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

steelerchad
01-04-2011, 03:03 PM
You're correct, since we play the 3-4 and Smith's job is to clog up the run and take on 2 blockers if possible. It's really about what the guy behind him is doing to find out his true value. Here's a look at James Harrison's stats in the 5 games before Smith got injured and the 11 games after. Smith was injured in the 2nd quarter of the Miami game. So Harrison's basically had twice as many games without Smith as with him.

Sacks- 5.0 sacks before to 5.5 sacks after
Tackles- 40 tackles before to 60 tackles after
forced fumbles- 4 before and 2 after.

These are just the numbers and that's all they are is numbers. I'm not sure how much LeBeau changed the schemes in each game without Smith. Harrison may have more pass or zone responsiblity without Smith and may not be able to let loose off the corner with an all out rush. It looks like a significant dropoff, but his play may have changed due to circumstances.

pete74
01-04-2011, 03:15 PM
You're correct, since we play the 3-4 and Smith's job is to clog up the run and take on 2 blockers if possible. It's really about what the guy behind him is doing to find out his true value. Here's a look at James Harrison's stats in the 5 games before Smith got injured and the 11 games after. Smith was injured in the 2nd quarter of the Miami game. So Harrison's basically had twice as many games without Smith as with him.

Sacks- 5.0 sacks before to 5.5 sacks after
Tackles- 40 tackles before to 60 tackles after
forced fumbles- 4 before and 2 after.

These are just the numbers and that's all they are is numbers. I'm not sure how much LeBeau changed the schemes in each game without Smith. Harrison may have more pass or zone responsiblity without Smith and may not be able to let loose off the corner with an all out rush. It looks like a significant dropoff, but his play may have changed due to circumstances.

Smith is on the left side and Harrison is on the right

sarahpalinhater
01-04-2011, 04:09 PM
I hope he gets back. But really, how far away is he, anyone know ? And I still think that even if he does comeback, he won't have anywhere near full strength in that tricep muscle. So maybe he might actually hinder us. But, if he can get healthy by the AFC Championship game,,,then play him. But if not, and if we do go to the super bowl, then sorry, I would rather not play him. I think it would not be fair to Hood, or whoever else helped us get to the game only to bench them in favor of a very " Rusty " Aaron Smith.

pete74
01-04-2011, 04:12 PM
i heard he was having tests today and if all goes well he would practice with the steelers the following practice

frunko1
01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Per tomlin on nfl radio sirius,
he practiced with a helmet today, and should play, but it is up to the doctors.

sarahpalinhater
01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
i heard he was having tests today and if all goes well he would practice with the steelers the following practice

Sir, Can I ask where you read this ? I know I read something early in december that he was given the green light for light weight training. But nothing since. So if you could give us a link to what you read, I would appreciate it sir.

Thanks.

finesward
01-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Posted this in another thread but seems deserving here...

Stats for Timmons with and without Smith

With Aaron Smith:

Total tackles
Wk
1 - 11
2 - 15
3 - 7
4 - 15
6 - 11
7 - 3
8 - 12

Without Aaron Smith
Wk
9 - 4
10- 7
11- 4
12- 8
13- 6
14- 5
15- 13
16- 5

Pretty easy to see the drop off

FanSince72
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
As has been said before, what he does as a player is certainly on a higher than average level but it's really about what he allows others to do that makes him valuable.

When he's in the game, he typically draws a tight end and a tackle or a tackle and a guard to block him and in some cases teams will keep a fullback in the backfield just to pick him up if he gets through. With all of those guys tied up dealing with him, he forces teams to alter their plays to account for him but the real deal is that all that attention allows guys like Farrior, Woodley, Harrison and Timmons to do what THEY do best because the other team's O-line is busy with Smith.

And when you factor in a healthy Troy along with Smith, we have a one-two punch that's hard to beat.

wootawnee
01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Its Ziggy's show now............

mizzouristeeler
01-04-2011, 05:58 PM
What doesn't smith do?

LVSteelersfan
01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
It is not Ziggy's show yet. A lot of the passing attack that was unleashed against us was due to Smith being out. The LBs had to either drop in coverage (not their strength) or they couldn't get to the QB in time without Smith clogging things up. Then the corners had to play 10-15 yards off the line because the rush from the LBs was not getting to the QB. That caused all of those short 7-8 yard passes that moved teams right down the field. It appears that Ziggy has gotten better toward the end of the season but he is nowhere near Smith's level when he is full strength. The question is will he be at full strength or be a liability?

wutchy
01-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Aaron Smith is a b-u-m. Always hurt, doesn't make plays. He occupies an o-lineman or two. I've keyed my view on him while game watching. no-thing special.
His function is to stop the run as an end in a 3-4 base. He has two gap assignments. If he misses, you never hear about it. But you seldom hear his name called at all. He isn't under rated, he is just under mentioned, because you have to actually do something to have your name called. He is by no means a playmaker.

pete74
01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Aaron Smith is a b-u-m. Always hurt, doesn't make plays. He occupies an o-lineman or two. I've keyed my view on him while game watching. no-thing special.
His function is to stop the run as an end in a 3-4 base. He has two gap assignments. If he misses, you never hear about it. But you seldom hear his name called at all. He isn't under rated, he is just under mentioned, because you have to actually do something to have your name called. He is by no means a playmaker.

what he does is excel in the run game and takes on 2 blockers during passing downs which lets our linebackers get thru

LukesDad88
01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Somebody's got 4-3 envy.

wutchy
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
It is not Ziggy's show yet. A lot of the passing attack that was unleashed against us was due to Smith being out. The LBs had to either drop in coverage (not their strength) or they couldn't get to the QB in time without Smith clogging things up. Then the corners had to play 10-15 yards off the line because the rush from the LBs was not getting to the QB. That caused all of those short 7-8 yard passes that moved teams right down the field. It appears that Ziggy has gotten better toward the end of the season but he is nowhere near Smith's level when he is full strength. The question is will he be at full strength or be a liability?

How does smith being out have anything to do with passing attacks against the steelers? Makes no sense. Smith doesn't get pressure on the Qb? It's not his job. his job is to plug the hole off guard and off tackle.? Make tackles at the line of scrimmage. The OLB doesn't depend on smith for a damn thing to do the OLB job.

If the runner gets past smith, the weak inside linebacker is supposed to make the tackle. Foote or Timmons, i believe. To say Lb's had to drop n coverage or couldn't get to the Qb without smith clogging things up is perhaps, the dumbest reasoning I've ever heard.

WTF does smith being out have to do with an LB dropping into coverage?
WTF does smith being out have to do with a LB getting to the QB?

And the DB's play 10 yards off to keep everything in front of them. Why? Well, if there is no safety help deep, thats the way you play your man. Troy and Ryan like to play the soft spots shallow. cover soft spots, slants, crossing and outs - jump routes and blast an across the middle reciever. When Troy and Ryan play two deep, the CB's play in the WR's face.

wutchy
01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
what he does is excel in the run game and takes on 2 blockers during passing downs which lets our linebackers get thru

He takes on two blockers if the guard and tackle have to block him if he takes that gap. Which he would, if the OLB is blitzing. But he can be handled easily with a tackle, or even a TE can block him.
Smith is like 6-6 and 300 lbs. Big enough to get in the way in the hole. If smith could get pressure, you wouldn't need an OLB to blitz from that side.
He doesn't shed blockers well, and he doesn't make plays.
He's white, and thats cool. But I'd take Hoke or Kiesel anyday, over smith. no contest.

wutchy
01-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Somebody's got 4-3 envy.

Actually, i like the 4-6.

I like a 3-4 because i like to see the OLb like Mike Merriweather, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, James Harrison, do their thing.

But I like the 4-3 as well, because i like to see the big guys attack from up the gut.

I don't think a team should be married to either. A good, stout o-line can block a 3-4 scheme. Sometimes you need to go 4-3 and slug it out in the trenches.

A 3-4 basically uses bodies to occupy d-line space and lets the LB's be the heroes.
A 4-3 uses 4 big guys to get after the QB and make tackles for losses.

I like the 4-6, but you need 3 corners and three safties, with two of the safties having the ability to cover like a safety, and hit and tackle like a OLB. The third safety has to be able to cover like a corner and hit like a safety.

cubanstogie
01-04-2011, 06:46 PM
He takes on two blockers if the guard and tackle have to block him if he takes that gap. Which he would, if the OLB is blitzing. But he can be handled easily with a tackle, or even a TE can block him.
Smith is like 6-6 and 300 lbs. Big enough to get in the way in the hole. If smith could get pressure, you wouldn't need an OLB to blitz from that side.
He doesn't shed blockers well, and he doesn't make plays.
He's white, and thats cool. But I'd take Hoke or Kiesel anyday, over smith. no contest.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/376157-the-top-seven-defensive-ends-in-the-nfl-coming-into-the-10-season#page/1

lets see, shall we listen to this writer or a a guy named woosie or is it wutchy.

cubanstogie
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
or little wutchy maybe this writer knows a thing or two. seeing as how he picked the Steelers to have the best D in the league and lo and behold he was correct. I believe that gives him some credibility

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/17943/scouts-inc-steelers-have-nfls-best-defense

wootawnee
01-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Well I guess we packed it in when Joe Greene retired too.......Hmmm.....seems like were doing fine without the ole #1 all-time Steeler......With all due respect to Mr. Greene.....

sarahpalinhater
01-04-2011, 07:58 PM
When Aaron Smith is healthy,,he is the BEST 3-4 DE to ever play in this league. He is a Monster on the pass rush, and run stopping. I just don't know IF he will really be healthy come game time. I hope he is. Cause ANY TEAM would kill to have Aaron Smith.

Fire Arians
01-04-2011, 08:09 PM
i hope he's near 100% because ziggy's been playing well.

if not, the question is what's better, 70% smith or 100% ziggy? I'm sure both at full power smith is the better player, but that's not the case, let's not forget aaron is coming off an injury that would have sidelined the average player for the season.

if he's not at full strength well, he'll be good for rotation, that's always a good thing.

steeltheone
01-04-2011, 09:56 PM

You are not gonna win this battle. According to this board he keeps getting better and better at 35. His play is like no other. When he went down our Defense could no longer function. We are doomed!

In Reality 12 -4 Playoff Bye..... NFL RECORD 64.1 yards a game rushing against us.....48 Sacks number 1 in the NFL

lionslicer
01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Smith isn't the anchor of this defense, Lebeau's schemes just revolve around him, but I think he understands Smith wont be around forever and is working with the defense.

Smith is really tall, he gets into the passing lanes. What people dont' understand is when a 6-5 300 pound made is in front of you, even if a 6-2 offensivel linemen is holding him back, it disrupts what you see, plus throwing that way, good chance that 6-5 monster gets a hand up and knocks the ball down.
In the running game, his arms are so big, when a running back gets near him, even when he's blocked, he just reaches out and grabs him. Not many guys can do that, he's special, but it isnt' the end of the world if he isn't in the game. Woodley is a good run stuffer himself on that side, so him and Ziggy will do fine in the future.

Keisel is a probowl candidate this year... Has anyone though about his impact on the game? He didn't play against the Saints or the Patriots.. Maybe he's more important than Smith, especially since he does stunts with Harrison

sarahpalinhater
01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
The REAL Anchor of this defense is Casey Hampton. He allows the LB's to do what they do. Without him, olur defensive numbers really drop off. But Aaron applies pressure on the QB, even if he doesn't always get a sack. It's pressure that broke the pipe,,,not sacks.

tony hipchest
01-04-2011, 10:40 PM
he looks like Lurch.

he scares people.

Fire Arians
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
he looks like Lurch.

he scares people.

heheh i always heard of people referring to him as frankenstein smith. he does look weird, like his shoulder pads are 5 sizes too small

lionslicer
01-04-2011, 10:45 PM
he looks like Lurch.

he scares people.

Exactly... If Jack Lambert looked like Tom Brady, he wouldn't be a HOFer.. Its all about scaring the person standing in front of you. If you look scarier than you actually play, they will be so scared, they'll fall over in front of you.

lol...

:helmet:

Fire Arians
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
heath miller's only good cause people don't think they'll throw it to the white guy

tony hipchest
01-04-2011, 10:53 PM
heheh i always heard of people referring to him as frankenstein smith.

nah... frankenstein looks more like herman munster.

aaron on the other hand....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/aaronsmith.jpg

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/03/lurch2.jpg

MDSteel15
01-05-2011, 09:57 AM

I would say that you are a moron.... but I don't because most fans who say crap like that just don't know anything about the game.

vasteeler
01-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I would say that you are a moron.... but I don't because most fans who say crap like that just don't know anything about the game.

agreed, yeah that smith sure is a bum :doh: