PDA

View Full Version : Steelers seek sanctions against Turtle Creek shop

mesaSteeler
01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Steelers seek sanctions against Turtle Creek shop
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_716604.html#
By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers today asked a federal judge to fine Turtle Creek Sportswear $500 a day for every day the shop has ignored or continues to ignore a 2005 court order to stop selling items similar to official Steelers merchandise.

The Steelers and NFL Properties sued the business and its owners, Nicholas and Jennifer Wohlfarth, in 2005 for trademark infringement. In November, the Steelers learned the business was violating the order for at least the third time since 2005, the lawsuit says.

The Steelers also asked the judge to order the company to turn over any money from the sale of merchandise infringing on the teamís trademarks. Dravosburg lawyer W.J. Helzlsouer, who represents Turtle Creek Sportswear, said he hadnít seen the request and declined comment.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review can be reached at or .

chrism412
01-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Just another example of the steelers trying to run over the little guys. I mean really how much more of our money do they need?!?! I can't afford to buy their $75 sweatshirts after doing my part in building heinz field. Its a shame that our beloved team is run by money-hungry jagoffs.

WeegiesWarriors
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Just another example of the steelers trying to run over the little guys. I mean really how much more of our money do they need?!?! I can't afford to buy their $75 sweatshirts after doing my part in building heinz field. Its a shame that our beloved team is run by money-hungry jagoffs.

Sorry I can't dig your blue collar vs. white collar little guy rant. This is captialism and I am for letting the markets decide. If the Steelers can get $75 for a sweatshirt then so be it.

This business must be selling merchandise they are not legally allowed to sell. The Steelers have every right to protect their logo from unauthorised use. This business can choose to sell licensed merchandise and make a nice profit doing so but are electing to sell knock offs probably at a higher margin. Makes me wonder who the "money hungry jagoffs" really are.

chrism412
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately I could not disagree with you more. First of all, if I understand correctly, this company produces nothing with a steeler logo. The items in question reportedly are sweatshirts with "luv ya black 'n gold" and "steel curtain" printed on them.

I agree that the Steelers/NFL should fight illegal distribution of knock-off jerseys and the like, but to attack a small local business over something like this is absurd. Maybe the steelers' team of high-powered attorneys don't have much to do right now. This really seems like small potatoes to me. What's next? Let's shutter all the t-shirt shops in the strip district? That will be great for the local economy.

Also, the pittsburgh steelers decide which companies can produce and sell licensed products. And those companies (at least production) are all overseas. Perhaps the steelers can help cause a small pittsburgh-based company to lay off a few employees and send more of our jobs to Thailand.

I feel that the steelers have some sort of an obligation to the local community. What they should do: I don't really know, but this, to me, is a great example of what they should NOT do.

MDSteel15
01-05-2011, 11:49 AM

TROLL ALERT

MDSteel15
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately I could not disagree with you more. First of all, if I understand correctly, this company produces nothing with a steeler logo. The items in question reportedly are sweatshirts with "luv ya black 'n gold" and "steel curtain" printed on them.

I agree that the Steelers/NFL should fight illegal distribution of knock-off jerseys and the like, but to attack a small local business over something like this is absurd. Maybe the steelers' team of high-powered attorneys don't have much to do right now. This really seems like small potatoes to me. What's next? Let's shutter all the t-shirt shops in the strip district? That will be great for the local economy.

Also, the pittsburgh steelers decide which companies can produce and sell licensed products. And those companies (at least production) are all overseas. Perhaps the steelers can help cause a small pittsburgh-based company to lay off a few employees and send more of our jobs to Thailand.

I feel that the steelers have some sort of an obligation to the local community. What they should do: I don't really know, but this, to me, is a great example of what they should NOT do.

Steel Curtain I do believe is trademarked by the Steelers!!! And Adidas at the moment is who makes the NFL liscenced jerseys for the Steelers.

WisconsinSteelerMan
01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Chrism,

Just because this shop is a "little guy" doesn't give them the right to march right up to the edge of legality or cross over it in order to make a buck. They are fully and flat out trying to sell "Steelers" merchandise without the logo so they don't have to pay the big bucks in fees to do so.

I would love to have a business that I could "coattail" on the good name of someone and make bajillions of dollars, but that would be stealing, and I don't steal stuff!!

plenewken
01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Sorry I can't dig your blue collar vs. white collar little guy rant. This is captialism and I am for letting the markets decide. If the Steelers can get $75 for a sweatshirt then so be it.

This business must be selling merchandise they are not legally allowed to sell. The Steelers have every right to protect their logo from unauthorised use. This business can choose to sell licensed merchandise and make a nice profit doing so but are electing to sell knock offs probably at a higher margin. Makes me wonder who the "money hungry jagoffs" really are.

My Penguins "replica" jersey cost me $60 from a chinese online business vs. $175 for an authentic one. I dare you to show me the difference between the 2. I checked the 2 very carefully before buying and the difference is not noticeable, neither visually nor technically.

Both are made in Asia, by the way, so so much for the higher margin % on the knock-offs. They make more money selling knock-offs because 3 jerseys out of 4 are "replicas", not because the % is higher.

To me, $175 for an authentic jersey that I wear at the games and wash after I wear it once is not worth it and I'm far from being the only one having this opinion. Most guys wearing Penguins jerseys at the Consol wear "replicas" and they all brag about the great deal they got online. I'd be very surprised if it's not the same at Heinz Field.

If the Penguins' FO cracks down on knock-off merchandise, guess what? 2/3 of the people wearing a Penguins jersey at Consol will wear something else. See the problem?

One day, I'll buy an authentic one but I won't wear it. I'll frame it and display it on a wall in my game room, next to other sports memorabilia. Big difference.

Now, if the "purists" can only wear the real thing, then by all means, go ahead. It doesn't bother me one bit.. Why should they be p*ssed at me for wearing a "replica"? Because they paid 3 times more for pretty much the same thing? Too bad! Next time, they'll do their homework.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
My Penguins "replica" jersey cost me $60 from a chinese online business vs. $175 for an authentic one. I dare you to show me the difference between the 2. I checked the 2 very carefully before buying and the difference is not noticeable, neither visually nor technically.

Both are made in Asia, by the way, so so much for the higher margin % on the knock-offs. They make more money selling knock-offs because 3 jerseys out of 4 are "replicas", not because the % is higher.

To me, $175 for an authentic jersey that I wear at the games and wash after I wear it once is not worth it and I'm far from being the only one having this opinion. Most guys wearing Penguins jerseys at the Consol wear "replicas" and they all brag about the great deal they got online. I'd be very surprised if it's not the same at Heinz Field.

If the Penguins' FO cracks down on knock-off merchandise, guess what? 2/3 of the people wearing a Penguins jersey at Consol will wear something else. See the problem?

One day, I'll buy an authentic one but I won't wear it. I'll frame it and display it on a wall in my game room, next to other sports memorabilia. Big difference.

Now, if the "purists" can only wear the real thing, then by all means, go ahead. It doesn't bother me one bit.. Why should they be p*ssed at me for wearing a "replica"? Because they paid 3 times more for pretty much the same thing? Too bad! Next time, they'll do their homework.

You better check your jerseys closer then-- all of the Chinese knockoffs are so cheap because they are defective.

One of my coworkers has a littel ring of people that buy these every preseason. And EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has defects-- I have a Polamalu jersey where the "Steelers" on the chest team logo is incomplete and only says Steele----.

Some of the other ones are obvious fakes as they have elastic sleeves. The materials used are cheaper, of less quality, often defective, stitching mistakes, and whats more-- they send American jobs overseas.

You get what you pay for.....

mesaSteeler
01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
You better check your jerseys closer then-- all of the Chinese knockoffs are so cheap because they are defective.

One of my coworkers has a littel ring of people that buy these every preseason. And EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has defects-- I have a Polamalu jersey where the "Steelers" on the chest team logo is incomplete and only says Steele----.

Some of the other ones are obvious fakes as they have elastic sleeves. The materials used are cheaper, of less quality, often defective, stitching mistakes, and whats more-- they send American jobs overseas.

Absolutely correct!

LVSteelersfan
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
The materials used are cheaper, of less quality, often defective, stitching mistakes, and whats more-- they send American jobs overseas.

The absurdity of it is that the real ones are made overseas. If the team had a conscience they would not let jobs go overseas to make their merchandise, but have it done by out of work people in this country. I still don't get why the government lets big companies get away with shipping manufacturing overseas. They should put an enormous import tax on those items when they come into the country to make it less feasible to ship jobs overseas. But our government is so corrupt that the big companies just need to flash some green under the table and they get what they want at the expense of Americans. What are these companies going to do when everyone is out of work due to overseas workers and automating everything (grocery clerks are becoming extinct as well as bank tellers as well as people who answer phones [try getting a real person on the phone any more in any company] ) These greedy jerks are destroying the country and they don't care.

huntingteacher
01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
TROLL ALERT

Gosh I hate the Troll term.. Its used anytime someone doesn't like what someone says. He's entitled to his opinion.

USWSteel
01-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Gosh I hate the Troll term.. Its used anytime someone doesn't like what someone says. He's entitled to his opinion.

Yep I agree...we have alot of members here who like to use that term. I think they are "members" !!!!! :toofunny:

plenewken
01-06-2011, 08:25 AM
The absurdity of it is that the real ones are made overseas. If the team had a conscience they would not let jobs go overseas to make their merchandise, but have it done by out of work people in this country. I still don't get why the government lets big companies get away with shipping manufacturing overseas. They should put an enormous import tax on those items when they come into the country to make it less feasible to ship jobs overseas. But our government is so corrupt that the big companies just need to flash some green under the table and they get what they want at the expense of Americans. What are these companies going to do when everyone is out of work due to overseas workers and automating everything (grocery clerks are becoming extinct as well as bank tellers as well as people who answer phones [try getting a real person on the phone any more in any company] ) These greedy jerks are destroying the country and they don't care.

Let them justify paying a bundle by saying that the quality is not the same. It's the same. The fabric is the same, the stitching is the same, the patches are the same etc........
They all come from the same Asian mfgs, regardless if it's Adidas, Reebok, CCM, Nike or whatever.
Yeah, some, not all, might have a very slight defects or differences, sometimes completely unnoticeable.
Who's gonna put his nose on my jersey to check each and every square inch of it to see if it's 100% perfect or 90% perfect? It's a friggin' hockey jersey, guys, not a pacemaker!

Anyway, buy the authentic stuff for $175 if you can afford it and if it makes you feel better. I'm perfectly happy with my $60 Penguins jersey and since I'll never pay the price for the authentic and absolutely perfect stuff, the Penguins don't lose anything.

chrism412
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Well said. Not only have the NFL/Steelers/Reebok moved the production of the high ticket price jerseys overseas, but from this latest incident, it appears they want to stop the small local manufacturers from producing anything that even makes people THINK of the steelers! I can't understand why people defend these mega corporations so fervently when in fact they are the companies that are eliminating
the middle class by turning what used to be decent jobs into overseas sweatshop positions.

I'll always love the Steelers, but I refuse to "drink the kool-aid" when the rooneys do things like this. Maybe someday, if it saves them a few bucks, they can play their home games in Beijing.

WeegiesWarriors
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Both are made in Asia, by the way, so so much for the higher margin % on the knock-offs. They make more money selling knock-offs because 3 jerseys out of 4 are "replicas", not because the % is higher. .

It makes no difference where they were made as most textile products have been made overseas for decades now. If you're upset that the textile industry exists outside this country then that is a different issue.

This is a case where this company is buying blank sweatshirts (from overseas of course) and applying a Steeler "phrase" or "identification" and selling it at probably a 1000% markup. The screening equipment to imprint fancy images or lettering can be bought for a couple thousand bucks used. And he probably has an employee in the back during a slow part of the day making minimum wage running these through the equipment. No jobs are being created here. It's just one person making their wallet a little fatter. You can buy a hundred blank sweatshirts from an Asian manufacturer for a buck or two apiece. Then pay a person $7 an hour here to put a logo on it (it takes a minute or two per unit), and then sell if for $25-$30. Do the math. There's a lot more money in that than buying 100 Sweatshirts that are licensed by the NFL.... guaranteed.

I've looked into getting a license from the NFL before. You can (or at least could) get all the info at nfl.com. The NFL will license just about anything. It's expensive because I think there is an up front fee for the license and then they want a percent of the sales. The NFL would probably license this company providing it passes through their legal department.. they just choose not to apply for a license.

As far as I know replica jerseys are licensed products. Unless I'm not understanding what you are saying. I have a Steeler replica jersey that cost me $70, but I'm 99% sure that it is a licensed product. Replica just means that it isn't of the same quality as an authentic one, but the company that made it still had to get the license.

Trust me if the Penguins saw a bunch of non-licensed jerseys being worn in their arena they would go after the manufacturer. Teams have lawyers employed to do nothing but look for this stuff.

WeegiesWarriors
01-06-2011, 02:57 PM

"If the team had a conscience..."??? The Steelers can't control where products are made. They are only giving licenses. You make it sound like the Steelers are in charge of manufacturing.

The textile industry went overseas decades ago. Very few clothing manufacturers exist here anymore. That isn't the Steelers or Rooney's fault.

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 03:01 PM
etc........
They all come from the same Asian mfgs, regardless if it's Adidas, Reebok, CCM, Nike or whatever.

Yeah, some, not all, might have a very slight defects or differences, sometimes completely unnoticeable.

Who's gonna put his nose on my jersey to check each and every square inch of it to see if it's 100% perfect or 90% perfect? It's a friggin' hockey jersey, guys, not a pacemaker!

I know what you're saying. These jersey snobs are just jealous I'm wearing an identical uni that I paid $45 for, that they shelled out $275 for.

phhhpth

I just slosh beer all over them and sweat in them till they're soaked anyway

TailgateMel
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
It's probably stuff like this (very outdated) page has:

http://www.hotcornersports.com/tshirts.htm

Stuff that is related to the Steelers,but doesn't use their logo, I had read someplace before where the folks like Big Ben, Harrison, etc... give authorization to use thier image on the shirts with their image.

There are many shops around the 'burgh here and even a lot of roadside e-z up stands selling "pittsburgh" and "black and gold" merchandise.

I don't know what the turtle creek shop did to really get the attention, but using images "close" to the steelers and related to the steelers is very common around here... sheesh - who are we to be throwing stones, there is one right on this forum that has advertised their "not quite the nfl" wares on here:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=63362

Where are the screamers in regard to that.... is he bringing jobs locally? No.. as spreadshirt allows you to do the design, then they take the orders mail out the shirts and you get a commission. Do I like his stuff! Sure, I bought a "cope" shirt the other year. Do I feel bad? No, I bought plenty of stuff off nfl.com and the Steelers make plenty off me just on beer sales at the stadium anyways.. :drink:

In regard to the conterfeit jerseys.... if you want a REAL jersey, get a REAL jersey.. the china jerseys are close, and very nice, but if you really really really look at both, china vs. Authentic.. they are different. BUT.. if you want "pretty damn good" and want to pay less than $50, and don't have moral issue with it.. it is for you.

That is my $.02 :tt:

Mel

plenewken
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
It makes no difference where they were made as most textile products have been made overseas for decades now. If you're upset that the textile industry exists outside this country then that is a different issue.

This is a case where this company is buying blank sweatshirts (from overseas of course) and applying a Steeler "phrase" or "identification" and selling it at probably a 1000% markup. The screening equipment to imprint fancy images or lettering can be bought for a couple thousand bucks used. And he probably has an employee in the back during a slow part of the day making minimum wage running these through the equipment. No jobs are being created here. It's just one person making their wallet a little fatter. You can buy a hundred blank sweatshirts from an Asian manufacturer for a buck or two apiece. Then pay a person $7 an hour here to put a logo on it (it takes a minute or two per unit), and then sell if for $25-$30. Do the math. There's a lot more money in that than buying 100 Sweatshirts that are licensed by the NFL.... guaranteed.

I've looked into getting a license from the NFL before. You can (or at least could) get all the info at nfl.com. The NFL will license just about anything. It's expensive because I think there is an up front fee for the license and then they want a percent of the sales. The NFL would probably license this company providing it passes through their legal department.. they just choose not to apply for a license.

As far as I know replica jerseys are licensed products. Unless I'm not understanding what you are saying. I have a Steeler replica jersey that cost me $70, but I'm 99% sure that it is a licensed product. Replica just means that it isn't of the same quality as an authentic one, but the company that made it still had to get the license.

Trust me if the Penguins saw a bunch of non-licensed jerseys being worn in their arena they would go after the manufacturer. Teams have lawyers employed to do nothing but look for this stuff.

Mine came directly from China so I doubt the NHL licenses its stuff to Chinese merchants. It's a perfect replica of the real Penguins jersey worn by the players.
Maybe the Penguins FO goes after them, I could give 2 sh*ts. They haven't gone after me for sure. I know that several Chinese merchants have been busted and their sites taken down but the next day, they reopen with a different URL.

By the way, what I say about Penguins jerseys applies also to other brands too There are absolutely perfect replicas of Harley Davidson leather jackets sold by Chinese online merchants for 1/3 of the HD price in the dealerships. The HD ones are made in China too, by the way.

Tx777
01-06-2011, 05:20 PM
TROLL ALERT

Are you also the guy that post "first" on youtube videos. Seriously just cause he isnt as cool as you and have a dated "join" date or have as many post as you doesnt mean anything.
Elitist Forum people make me laugh