PDA

View Full Version : About That Steelers Pass Defense…

mesaSteeler
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
About That Steelers Pass Defense…
Posted on January 4, 2011 by adam
Steelers Lounge

The Steelers secondary and pass defense has been a topic of discussion and concern for much of the regular season. In November, I took a look at the Steelers play against the pass and argued that it wan’t as bad as its reputation (a lot of 15 yard gains on third and 20).

Now that all 16 regular season games are in the books, here’s how they finished…

When all is said and done, the Steelers allowed the 12th most passing yards in the NFL (3,425), but did so while facing the fourth most pass attempts (593).

The other rankings…

* Yards Per Pass Attempt: 6.1 (lowest in the NFL)
* Passing Touchdowns Allowed: 15 (third lowest in the NFL)
* Passing Plays 20+ Yards: 35 (lowest in NFL)
* Interceptions: 21 (fifth most in the NFL)
* Opponents Passer Rating: 73.1 (second lowest in the NFL)
* Sacks: 48 (most in the NFL)
* Football OutsidersDVOA Against The Pass: -13.0% (second lowest in NFL)

That’s not bad at all, and the rankings are very similar to where they finished in 2008, when they were also first in yards per attempt, sixth in interceptions, third in touchdowns allowed, second in opponents passer rating, second in sacks, and first in DVOA against the pass.

We all saw what Tom Brady did to the Steelers back in November, and should the two teams happen to meet again (and I’m not looking ahead, the Steelers still have to win what will surely be a difficult game first; I’m not taking anything for granted), it very well could happen again. But I believe that has more to do with the way Brady and the Patriots are playing than how the Steelers are playing.

Brady is playing the best football of his career (yes, I think he’s been better than their 16-0 season in 2007) and has had 12 games with a passer rating over 100. The game against the Steelers was only his seventh best performance of the season.

Other than that, when teams are forced to throw 45 passes a game because they can’t run and are losing by 20 points in the fourth quarter, they’re going to pick up some yardage. Doesn’t mean it’s effective.

The Steelers don’t give up big plays, they don’t give up touchdowns, they force turnovers, they get sacks. And I’m still left wondering how Ike Taylor didn’t get more recognition for the job he did this season.

Which Steelers Were Targeted on Interceptions in 2010?
Posted on January 4, 2011 by JJ
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/targeted-steelers-interceptions/

One of our favorite (and most frequent) commenters, IsraelP, asked on Twitter yesterday if any passes intended for Mike Wallace have been intercepted. The answer is yes, two of them. It’s notable that only one of the nine picks involved the ball hitting the hands of the Steelers’ receivers.

That got me to thinking, so I worked up the entire list of Steelers interceptions this year and the pass catcher originally targeted. Thankfully, with just nine interceptions all year, it’s a pretty short list. The plays are linked in the table so you can see them for youself.
Week Opponent Details
1 Falcons Intended for Heath Miller, underthrown. Miller was wide open
3 Buccaneers Intended for Mike Wallace. Underthrown, but he was covered (safety on top, DB underneath)
3 Buccaneers Intended for Hines Ward, who is open, but Batch doesn’t get ball over LB sitting in zone underneath
4 Ravens Intended for Hines Ward. Batch is forcing the ball, as Ward is covered and Lewis is lurking underneath to pick off pass
6 Browns Intended for Mewelde Moore. Terrible pass overthrown to DB
8 Saints Intended for Mike Wallace. Roethlisberger pressured, scrambles, throws late to Wallace on sideline, DB cuts in front of him
9 Bengals Intended for Heath Miller. Roethlisberger scrambling, gets nothing on it. DB cuts in front of Miller
10 Patriots Intended for Antwaan Randle-El. Throws behind him, but still hits Randle-El in hands, he drops it, Chung then catches it
13 Ravens Intended for Antonio Brown on long bomb. Overthrown, DB catches it over his shoulder, serves as a pseudo punt

tony hipchest
01-04-2011, 05:22 PM
hmmmmm.....

i wonder if adam reads this board.

i posted this last night-

actually it is quite the opposite. the one thing they dont do is give up alot of huge plays. they may give up smaller chunks but keep everything infront of them.

steelers only allowed 35 passing plays of 20+ yards which is best in the league. only 7 were above 40 yds. the longest pass play they gave up was 67 yds and it didnt even go for a TD.

the opponents passer rating against them was 73.1 which was 2nd to the packers. and only 6.3 yards per attempt proved to be the stingiest.

21 int tied for 5th and 48 sacks led the league.

some people just expect us to be on a historic pace every single year.

there is much more to the passing defense than just the yardage total numbers. we had one of the best pass defenses in the league.

:scratchchin:

Merchant
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
hmmmmm.....

i wonder if adam reads this board.

i posted this last night-

:scratchchin:

Sue him!

tony hipchest
01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
im jus gonna push him down when i pass him in the hall. :chuckle:

actually im glad im not the only one who doesnt think our pass defense is horrible or plays "TOO far off the ball". :blah:

Rick5895
01-04-2011, 06:04 PM

actually im glad im not the only one who doesnt think our pass defense is horrible or plays "TOO far off the ball". :blah:

You aren't the only one Tony, I have felt our pass D and D as a whole has been very good. Yards per pass attempt is a very telling stat. I have been critisized on these forums in the past because I think we are going to go on a defensive run in the playoffs.

The New England game doesn't bother so much as we were down not only A.Smith but also Keisel as well and played a very vanilla zone, something the Pats and brady are very good at picking apart. Seems Lebeau knew we might be meeting them again.

Even allowing 39 to the Cheats we still finished the season allowing a league best 14.5 points a game.

Our D is fine and will show the NFL what good defense is all about.

Fire Arians
01-04-2011, 06:59 PM
brady's stats vs the steelers is what worries me most tbh

i know we can beat everyone else.

theplatypus
01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Who were the folks screaming for Lebeau's head and saying the game had passed him by?

wutchy
01-05-2011, 11:07 AM

The steeler CB's give a big cushion because they have to keep everything in front of them. THE SAFETYS ARE ALWAYS PLAYING UP, so the Cb has no help deep.

When the safety plays up, the Cb plays back to keep it all in front of him.
When the safety plays back, the CB plays in the WR face.
Troy and Ryan play up 90% of the time. So 90% of the time, the Steeler CB will be giving a 10 yard cushion because he has no help deep.

IT HELPS TO "UNDERSTAND " WHAT YOU ARE SEEING WHEN YOU WATCH FOOTBALL. It's a pity that some men have a womans knowledge of the game. My wife can tell you whats going on when Ben goes up under center, then drops back into shotgun and taps the top of his helmet, and why he lifts his leg before snaps.

She understands that down and distance dictate what the defense shows, and the Qb tries to use under center and the shotgun to manipulate DB's.

If its third and 5, she wonderrs out loud if they will run or pass. If the offense comes out in the shotgun, she assumes pass. Just like a safety.

Thats the name of the game, trick the safety. If you want to run, make him play back, if you want to pass, make him play up.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-05-2011, 04:28 PM
The steeler CB's give a big cushion because they have to keep everything in front of them. THE SAFETYS ARE ALWAYS PLAYING UP, so the Cb has no help deep.

No, Ryan Clark often plays deep, regardless of Gay/McFadden's configuration, as this is our defense's weakest side. Troy often plays closer to the line of scrimmage, as expected for a strong safety, but has also been staying back in coverage more this season as Timmons has taken many of his mid-field rover duties this season.

IT HELPS TO "UNDERSTAND " WHAT YOU ARE SEEING WHEN YOU WATCH FOOTBALL. It's a pity that some men have a womans knowledge of the game. My wife can tell you whats going on when Ben goes up under center, then drops back into shotgun and taps the top of his helmet, and why he lifts his leg before snaps.

Wow. Chauvenism, unnecessary condescension, and bragging all wrapped up n one, nasty package.....

Give your wife a smiley face for us all, will ya?:doh::doh:

btaylor179
01-05-2011, 04:36 PM
our dbs need to quit playing back so far!bottom line!!!!hit em as soon as the wr's come off the line

cubanstogie
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
No, Ryan Clark often plays deep, regardless of Gay/McFadden's configuration, as this is our defense's weakest side. Troy often plays closer to the line of scrimmage, as expected for a strong safety, but has also been staying back in coverage more this season as Timmons has taken many of his mid-field rover duties this season.

Wow. Chauvenism, unnecessary condescension, and bragging all wrapped up n one, nasty package.....

Give your wife a smiley face for us all, will ya?:doh::doh:

funny thing is that "profound post" was coming from a guy who thinks Aaron Smith is overrated and a bum. After saying that I can't read a post and take it seriously.