PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger happy to be working out

clevestinks
04-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Roethlisberger happy to be working out
Monday, April 17, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Many Steelers players are working out on a regular basis at the team's practice facility, hitting the weight room, taking part in yoga classes and workouts that help with foot and hand speed.

One player who has been a regular in the voluntary conditioning program is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger took part in the workouts on occasion last season, but by his own admission was letting outside distractions be too much of a focus.

"Last year in the off-season I felt like I was getting pulled in every different direction," he said. "I was trying to do way too many things.

"This year I have really toned it down. I have only done the things I have wanted to do."

And it's paying off for him. Roethlisberger has had the chance to spend more time with his teammates during this off-season and is enjoying the time.

"It's been more relaxing and more fun," said Roethlisberger, who will take a break from the workouts when he visits Switzerland with his family in May. "I have been able to be in Pittsburgh and work out and be around the guys and have fun. This off-season has been a lot more relaxing and a lot better for me than last off-season was"

With Jerome Bettis retiring, Roethlisberger is being looked at by some to help pick some of the leadership role on offense. Alan Faneca and Hines Ward are two veteran leaders who are well-respected by their teammates, but Roethlisberger is also merging into that role.

"I don't want to force them out and step on anybody's shoes and take over the leadership role," said Roethlisberger. "But everybody on this team and in this organization is starting to put me up in that role. With Jerome leaving it opens up a spot.

"Guys look up to me as a leader and I have accepted that responsibility as a guy that they can come and talk to and be a guy that is a leader on this team."

clevestinks
04-18-2006, 08:38 AM
I`m seeing Ben as a team captain this season! Also I like the fact that he is working out on a regular basis, I was thinking late last season that "The Beard" was to cover up a double chin???

Webfactor8
04-18-2006, 11:31 AM
He’s becoming a much more, the mature QB. Watching him on Letterman, he wasn’t nervous at all. Then I realized, He was a QB in the Super bowl. The pressure is of anything else really can’t be that bad.

melroseplace
04-18-2006, 01:14 PM
glad to hear it...I can't wait to see him in action!

Midnightwriter1
04-18-2006, 03:24 PM
too funny!!! @ double chin.

siss
04-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Is it just me or do you ever have to sit back and remind yourself how young he really is. I work with 24 year olds all day and I remember being 24 and non of them come off as confident and composed as Ben does.

SteelR1
04-20-2006, 01:22 AM
Good News!!!!!!

SteelShooter
04-20-2006, 01:46 AM
As we say in the Navy:

"Lean Forward, seize the initiative..........Never relax or the enemy shall then decide to press his attack."

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

clevestinks
04-20-2006, 11:29 AM
As we say in the Navy:

"Lean Forward, seize the initiative..........Never relax or the enemy shall then decide to press his attack."

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
Awesome saying, props to all our military! Thanks!

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Is it just me or do you ever have to sit back and remind yourself how young he really is. I work with 24 year olds all day and I remember being 24 and non of them come off as confident and composed as Ben does.

Anyone who saw the Drink Like A Champion photos does not need to be reminded Ben is still in his mid-20s. :)