PDA

View Full Version : The Changes LeBeau Made After The NE Game

SteelerEmpire
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Good Read:

Article:

Dick LeBeau does not like to get embarrassed, especially on prime time television, but that is exactly what happened on November 14. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots shredded LeBeau's defense like Mexican cheese. LeBeau remembered all too vividly the previous time the Steelers played against Brady. The Patriots came out with a megaphone and yelled to him that they were not going to run the ball and were still going to carve him up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Even with that declaration of being one dimensional, Brady had a field day while the Patriots ran the ball exactly once per quarter.

LINK: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/1/5/1912967/the-day-dick-lebeau-turned-the-steelers-secondary-into-championship?ref=yahoo

sarahpalinhater
01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
The problem with that game was not solely on defense, but offense as well. Remember, we had a chance to cut this to a 10-7 game, but we again failed to score inside the 5 Yd line. Also, we had zero sacks on Brady, and no real pressure either. The Pats are no longer a BIG PLAY offense. Not with Moss gone. So to me, the key is putting the Pats on a long field to start their drives, and early on, come with MAJOR Blitzes at Brady. Not 5 or 6, but 7 or maybe even 8 rushers at him, and then play their WR's right at the line. I mean no more of this 10 yards off the WR sh!t! Rush 7 or 8 guys at Brady and he won't have the time to set-up for a deep route, or hit the quick-hitter either. Maybe he might get the pass off really fast to a RB or Welker for a slight 7-8 Yd gain. But, he's gonna do that anyways if we continue to only send 5 rushers at him, maybe 6 on occasion. We need to KNOCK Brady around a bit early on. That is when he gets eratic, and starts to look around at who might be coming at him next.

But, attack him the way we did the first game, and the results will likely be the same.

austinfrench76
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Blitz him, we win. Let him dink and dunk, we lose. Its actually that simple. There was ZERO pressure in the 1st game. Our O can actually score on them, as proven in the 1st game. Steeler Pressure=Steeler Win.

Hayeksheroes
01-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Steelers will have to play Dime and Quarters. Assign DB's on Welker and Woodhead. Or zones for these extra DB's. LINEBACKERS can't cover MOSQUITOS. The DB's have to play on the line and hit the Mosquitos as they come off to disrupt the timing. Timmons needs to cover Hernandez. Troy in Gronwoski, and Taylor on Branch. Rush Harrison 1st quarter, 4th Quarter. Woodley 2nd and 3rd. No more than 5 man rush on most occassions. Some corner blitzes with Gay. Blitzes are in effective because it lives the short field and flat open for the Dink and Dunk.

Lebeau will need to set zone traps. Hampton, Keisel and Smith (Hood) will need to drop back in short zones. Hampton up the middle, Keisel in the flats, Hood short middle. Troy has to be more visible. He needs to be free to move about the field.

Finally, the no matter what the defense does, the Steelers have to score more points that the Patriots. That's the prescription.

tony hipchest
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
excellent research, breakdown and analysis. thanks for the link. :cheers:

i really like the proof that the offense taking care of the ball better and controlling the clock greatly assisted lebeau implimenting these defensive adjustments.

:tap: derrrr... who'd a thunk? :nerd:

TRH
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
i still don't understand why the defense was played that way that game...we looked sickly out there.

It's going to have to be a combo this time of both blitzing and stopping the short slant pass and the short out pass. Gonna be tricky but thats what we HAVE to do.
The flipside of that is that if we do play them....you can bet that Belichik knows the above and will spend the week preparing for just that

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I have been saying that if there is one thing that Dick Lebeau still wants to add to his resume (amazing right? one would think that after 50+ years int he NFL, he had seen and done everything possible), it will be the moniker for being one of the defensive coordinators that were able to decipher Brady and Belicheck's system.

I have also noticed that Tomlin is big on breaking "curses". He broke our Jaguars curse, our "can't beat Atlanta at home" curse (prior to week 1 this year, we have not won in Atlanata since like 1995), he broke our Raven's curse in 2007, and for two seasons (2007 & 2008), Tomlin even broke our "crappy pass defense" curse as well.

I have no doubt that if we see NE again, things will go differently. I cannot realistically say we should win, but the game will be different.

theplatypus
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
i still don't understand why the defense was played that way that game...we looked sickly out there.

It's going to have to be a combo this time of both blitzing and stopping the short slant pass and the short out pass. Gonna be tricky but thats what we HAVE to do.
The flipside of that is that if we do play them....you can bet that Belichik knows the above and will spend the week preparing for just that

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with all of the injuries. We were so banged up for a while we had to take it a little easy. If you look at the season we were aggressive on D for the first several weeks, then the injuries started to mount and we layed off a bit. Then we started getting people healthy and started being aggressive again.

lionslicer
01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
I have been saying that if there is one thing that Dick Lebeau still wants to add to his resume (amazing right? one would think that after 50+ years int he NFL, he had seen and done everything possible), it will be the moniker for being one of the defensive coordinators that were able to decipher Brady and Belicheck's system.

I have also noticed that Tomlin is big on breaking "curses". He broke our Jaguars curse, our "can't beat Atlanta at home" curse (prior to week 1 this year, we have not won in Atlanata since like 1995), he broke our Raven's curse in 2007, and for two seasons (2007 & 2008), Tomlin even broke our "crappy pass defense" curse as well.

I have no doubt that if we see NE again, things will go differently. I cannot realistically say we should win, but the game will be different.

We beat Atlanta in Pittsburgh. But I know what you mean... Since he came here, he's worked with LeBeau and the pass defense since that is Tomlin's specialty. Also two 12-4 records? He has 3 even records and 1 odd, cowher had 10 odd seasons and 4 even seasons. lol. I don't know what that means, but its somethign I noticed

mesaSteeler
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Excellent article thank you for posting it.

Steelerindc
01-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I think the best way to disrupt Brady is to bring the pressure up the gut. Baltimore had him looking scared 2yrs ago in the playoff's. They brought it up the middle which made him want to dance and get rid of the ball quick.

Coming off the corners is to easy for Brady, he see's it and adjusts in a hurry. They have to bring all kinds of blitzes.

I don't mind losing if we go down doing what we do, but It would kill me to watch them try to zone him up.

SteelerEmpire
01-05-2011, 05:31 PM

In addtion, LeBeau got inducted to the Hall of Fame for being a Cornerback as well... I think that if any current d-coordinator can improve a secondary its LeBeau. Why he has not done it already until now is another question.

ETL
01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
You guys don't think that belichick is planning a counter-punch? We need to think 2 steps ahead and have answers to what he MAY be planning.

SteelerEmpire
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
You guys don't think that belichick is planning a counter-punch? We need to think 2 steps ahead and have answers to what he MAY be planning.

The Patriots got rid of Moss because the plan was to go to a dink and dunk offense. Moss was mostly deep threat. Going deep should not be a worry when we have just a minor blitz coming (as we didn't blitz in the last game) and their current receivers are no big threat deep especially since whats his name has gotten older. They can't run on us, so the ONLY weapon they have is the dink and dunk on the Steelers... if we play close, in the way this article says, we should be able to cut their point scoring abilities in half. Special teams and the Offense will have to come to play as well. Wallace had double and triple coverage on him in the last game and STILL scored 2 TD's... so they will "have" to back up on us if their smart (at least on Wallace's side of the field). This next meeting (IF we meet them in the playoffs) should be interesting...

lionslicer
01-05-2011, 06:26 PM
The Patriots got rid of Moss because the plan was to go to a dink and dunk offense. Moss was mostly deep threat. Going deep should not be a worry when we have just a minor blitz coming (as we didn't blitz in the last game) and their current receivers are no big threat deep especially since whats his name has gotten older. They can't run on us, so the ONLY weapon they have is the dink and dunk on the Steelers... if we play close, in the way this article says, we should be able to cut their point scoring abilities in half. Special teams and the Offense will have to come to play as well. Wallace had double and triple coverage on him in the last game and STILL scored 2 TD's... so they will "have" to back up on us if their smart (at least on Wallace's side of the field). This next meeting (IF we meet them in the playoffs) should be interesting...

LeBeau will probably have to make 2 gameplans, because Bellichick does think 2 steps ahead. In the last game the short passes killed the Steelers, knowing LeBeau will stop that, he'll go to the run and throw the ball long to stretch out the Steelers defense. But the Patriots don't have a deep threat, if the Steelers play the cornerbacks close to the recievers, they wont make it that far uncovered 20+ yards down the field.
If Bellichick and LeBeau played chess for a living, this matchup would be like a championship match, match of the century.

jacksolomon
01-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Just curious, but when is the Belichick shrine being erected around here? It's like a damn Patriots board.

PhantomJB93
01-05-2011, 06:50 PM
This article gave me a little bit of hope but what really just made my day was loking back at the 05 season, I had forgotten we got destroyed by the Colts in a reg season primetime game as well, and the playoff rematch was one of the best Steeler games Ive ever watched so I hope the *possible* Patriots rematch turns out the same way :tt02:

SH-Rock
01-05-2011, 07:41 PM
In addtion, LeBeau got inducted to the Hall of Fame for being a Cornerback as well... I think that if any current d-coordinator can improve a secondary its LeBeau. Why he has not done it already until now is another question.

I trust Lebeau and he's probably making the right decisions on not playing the younger players. Lebeau needs a shut down CB for it to work. He's the best defensive coordinator of today, but he can't make a pile of crap turn into gold.

Fire Arians
01-05-2011, 08:05 PM
good read. only thing I'm bitter about is the pats do the same thing to us every freakin time, and only now he makes a change to take away the short pass?

stb_steeler
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Stop the 2 little c o c k roach's and it maybe a hard time for Marsha.....:noidea:

caseyviator
01-06-2011, 10:09 AM
believe it or not if you compare are teams person by person by position we are better at every one cept og ot, thats it thats all!!!!!!!

the ONLY reason they beat us is we do not presure brady period end of story.

if we get pressure we may blow them out by 21 points.

no pressure- lose
pressure- win big!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

NYC_Steeler
01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't understand why he didn't make changes DURING THE GAME - when it counted. Everyone knows that by not pressuring Brady, he will pick you apart - and we saw it over and over again during the game. Are our coaches incapable of making changes during the game? They can't figure out how to make changes to stop what's going on? Basically, at this point, it's all could'a, should'a, would'a - they did nothing to change the game against the Pats and we got severely embarrassed - so much so, that there was alot of talk claiming the Steelers were not an elite team: they couldn't beat the big boys. The loss to the Saints didn't help. We're in the playoffs now - LeBeau & Co. better be able to adjust during the game or else the Steelers will be looking at golf clubs instead of another Lombardi...