PDA

View Full Version : Kicking Game

DoctorCAD
01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I expect to have one of our patented "kick-off to the 40 yard line" plays come back to bite us right in the ass during this championship run.

Hope not, but it has been a huge issue for the past several games.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Shaun Suisham's ridiculously good squib kicking was an easy to overlook, yet very important tactic in the Cleveland game. Cribbs was the only weapon Cleveland had, and if we run into another explosive returner, it is something they should try again.

grward
01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I agree with Neil-Still-Rules-14 ... we were able to take out Clevelands number 1 threat with those squib kicks.

My concern is our inability to run the ball. Mendy runs hard, but there are no holes and his numbers are suffering b/c of it.

PhantomJB93
01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
I agree with Neil-Still-Rules-14 ... we were able to take out Clevelands number 1 threat with those squib kicks.

My concern is our inability to run the ball. Mendy runs hard, but there are no holes and his numbers are suffering b/c of it.

Or because of the run playcalling...running up the middle all the time or to the weakest side of or line isn't going to work, yet it seems to be how a majority of our run plays are designed. I want to see a stat on how effective we are when we run to the right, because we almost never do it but when we do it always goes for 10+ yards and all of Mendy's long TD's have come on outside runs to the right. I think Adams and Foster have been very good at run blocking but are simply never utilized in our run gameplan.

I also think a bigger factor in the run game futility is the ridiculous and unecessary back swapping, I always wonder why nobody ever talks about momentum or getting into a rhythm because Mendy can't develop either when he's taken out eveyr other drive or on random downs...momentum is a bigger factor than many may think but Mendy's gets killed every time Moore or Redman goes in there He's a good pass catcher too and has had good blocks so I still see no reason to have Moore or Redman in there unless he's gassed...

grward
01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Or because of the run playcalling...running up the middle all the time or to the weakest side of or line isn't going to work, yet it seems to be how a majority of our run plays are designed. I want to see a stat on how effective we are when we run to the right, because we almost never do it but when we do it always goes for 10+ yards and all of Mendy's long TD's have come on outside runs to the right. I think Adams and Foster have been very good at run blocking but are simply never utilized in our run gameplan.

Exactly. But if we can see it, why can Dumb-Dumb Arians see it when watching film? :doh:

I also think a bigger factor in the run game futility is the ridiculous and unecessary back swapping, I always wonder why nobody ever talks about momentum or getting into a rhythm because Mendy can't develop either when he's taken out eveyr other drive or on random downs...momentum is a bigger factor than many may think but Mendy's gets killed every time Moore or Redman goes in there He's a good pass catcher too and has had good blocks so I still see no reason to have Moore or Redman in there unless he's gassed...

I agree totally with this concept. I said in another thread that I think he has a similar style of running as Bettis in the sense that he gets stronger as the game goes on ... and the defense gets tired. Bettis' best running almost always came when we were pounding the rock late in the game. Mendy is NEVER given the chance to get momentum on his side. :banging:

WeegiesWarriors
01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I was wanting them to kick to Cribbs.

1. Because I think we are better in kick coverage.

2. I don't think Cribbs will ever again be a deadly kick returner. He has put a LOT of weight (muscle) on in order to be more of an over the middle WR threat. His look now versus his first couple years is almost like seeing Bonds 3 years ago versus him in a Pirates uniform. If Bulking up hasn't cost him straight line speed it almost assuredly has cost him agility and change of direction speed that kick returners need. I don't think he scored on a KO or PR all year.

Shtillers
01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Shaun Suisham's ridiculously good squib kicking was an easy to overlook, yet very important tactic in the Cleveland game. Cribbs was the only weapon Cleveland had, and if we run into another explosive returner, it is something they should try again.

I don't know if Cribbs is the only weapon (Peyton Hillis has been pretty solid). But he is explosive. That being said, yes - I specifically remember two great squib kicks where we almost recovered b/c Cribbs bobbled the ball each time. Such a nice change from Reed's deep & center kicks

Curtain_of_Steel
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Who cares about Cribbs, lol.

Im not keen on the squibbers as when we need it most its going to go out of bounds and kill us. Now in general i'm fine with it, providing he is working his ass off on practicing them, not doing them on a whim. If effective we do take the others out of their game, but the kick return team, needs to hold their channels