PDA

View Full Version : Titans to release or trade Vince Young

lionslicer
01-05-2011, 05:52 PM
The news is so breaking there isn't a link yet :p

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Titans: Vince Young will not be on roster next year

Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams reluctantly closed the door on the Vince Young era on Wednesday when he announced the QB will not be on the team's roster next season.
Young, the third overall pick in 2006, spend five often-tumultuous years in Nashville that crested in November when he walked out of the team's locker room on coach Jeff Fisher.
The tension between Young and Fisher helped force Adams to make a decision on the once-rising QB.
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/01/05/vyx-inset-community.jpg (http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/01/05/vyx-large.jpg)Vince Young

"Today, I informed our general manager Mike Reinfeldt to move forward with plans to begin the process of identifying the next quarterback for our franchise," Adams said.
"I want to offer my personal thanks to Vince for all of his positive contributions to the club. These kinds of decisions are never easy and this is especially true for this particular player. I certainly wish that things would have worked out better, but I think it is best for the franchise that we move on at this point."
Young will either be released or traded.
Adams did not clarify the status of Fisher, and said he is continuing to evaluate the status of his coaching staff. Fisher, the Titans' coach since 1994, is the NFL's longest-tenured head coach.
Adams, a Houston resident, was close to Young, a product of the Houston area, and had said in November that Fisher and Young would have to work out their differences. Adams sent out a Christmas card last month in which he was pictured with Young.
Young lost his job as the Titans' starter on Nov. 21 after he suffered a thumb injury. Fisher placed him on injured reserve the next day, but had said after the game -- when Young threw parts of his uniform into the crowd -- that the QB would not be his starter even if healthy. Young stormed out of the Titans' locker room after the game.
In 2009, Adams ordered Fisher to insert Young as the team's starter after the Titans lost their first six games.
In five years, Young had a 57.9% completion percentage with 8,098 passing yards, 42 TD passes, 42 INTs, 1,380 rushing yards and 12 rushing TDs.
He started 28 games in his first two seasons, but just 19 in his next three.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/titans-vince-young-will-not-be-on-roster-next-year/1

sarahpalinhater
01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Bout time. I don't care HOW Valuable Skip Bayless thinks he is. There is NO excuse for his Bad team Character that he displays.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
the question is , which team is desperate enough to take a chance on him ?
sanfran ...........7th pick in the draft
minnesota ......12 th
seattle .........21st
raiders ........no pick
skins......10th
arizona ...5th

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
If you screw up a first round QB pick it will screw your franchise up for years - interesting how the 3 top QB prospects from that draft (Leinart, Cutler and Young) all were run off by the teams that drafted them (Cards, Broncos, Titans) although with the Broncos it was as much the crazy coach as the egomaniac QB

jjpro11
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
If you screw up a first round QB pick it will screw your franchise up - interesting how the 2 of the top QB prospects from that draft (Leinart and Young) both crashed

try to imagine us if we had drafted JP Losman instead of Big Ben. yikes

silver & black
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't surprise me at all if VY is a Raider next year. In fact, nothing surprises me anymore.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't surprise me at all if VY is a Raider next year. In fact, nothing surprises me anymore.
would you be surprised if Al gave up a 2nd rd pick for him ? :chuckle:

how did you feel about shit canning cable ? i myself think it was a mistake.

cloppbeast
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM

It's the Raiders. lol. I would be surprised if they didn't get him.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2011, 08:22 PM
good luck with trading him... somehow i just don't see teams lining up to trade for vince and his 12.75 mill price tag.

The quarterback is due a roster bonus of $4.25 million in March and an $8.5-million salary for 2011.

Adams also said in the statement that he informed Fisher he still is evaluating the coaching staff.

silver & black
01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
would you be surprised if Al gave up a 2nd rd pick for him ? :chuckle:

how did you feel about shit canning cable ? i myself think it was a mistake.

Yeah, I think it was a mistake. I knew it was coming, though. There were rumors that he and Al didn't see eye to eye. There were also rumors that he and Jackson had "words" on a few occasions, as well.

Even though Jackson hasn't officially been announced as the new coach, you can take it to the bank... he is the coach of the Raiders.

I didn't realize how easy it becomes to hate something you love so much. :shake01:

lionslicer
01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
good luck with trading him... somehow i just don't see teams lining up to trade for vince and his 12.75 mill price tag.

He might not be a Raider for this very reason, not much cap room, but I wouldn't be surprised if Davis trades away a high paid player for Young to make an equal trade off.
NFL network said the best place he would fit in Miami. A mobile quarterback would benefit their type of offense the most. But I don't see Miami being that stupid.

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2011, 12:10 AM
when you trade for a player , you also get whats left of their contract right along with them. it doesn't matter if you trade draft picks, players, or a case of jock straps , the remainder of the contract is their baggage. if the player so chooses , they can renegotiate the contract and make it more cap friendly by extending it. the bottom line is whoever trades for young and has him on their roster by march 2nd , will owe him 12.75 mill.
why pay that since you already know he's going to be cut ? i doubt there will be much of a bidding war for his services , but i'm sure someone will give him a shot, but at a much lower price. young is a poster child for a heavily incentive based contract.

lionslicer
01-06-2011, 12:34 AM
But the Titans don't want to pay that, NFL rules says if you release someone in the offseason and pay off their contract, you're paying their contract out of next seasons cap, so you lose cap space (and years on depending on the contract). But this was before the 2010 season and the chance of a 2011 lockout. The cap rules are weird this year, I'm not exactly sure how teams are handling anything, plus if there is a lockout next season, that really changes everything.

But if there isn't a lockout, and the rules still stand, Titans don't want to pay Young's contract out, so you'll be seeing them trying to sweeten the deal with a draft pick or 2. Maybe they'll trade up in the draft or just try to trade for a player to fit their system at the same position or another position.

If the Titans do end up having to pay out his contract, if he even chooses to come back to the NFL, he'll get another shot to be a quarterback somewhere. Someone is bound to think they can make him a better player on and off the field.

TRH
01-06-2011, 08:11 AM

hell with his salary. Its the huge Moss-like attitude, team detrimental persona that should make no one want him. If i had a team, any team, i wouldn't even look at him