PDA

View Full Version : Farrior concedes 18-game sacrifices will be made

mesaSteeler
01-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Farrior concedes 18-game sacrifices will be made
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_716808.html
By Mark Kaboly
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 6, 2011

Although James Farrior doesn't particularly like the idea of the NFL adding two regular-season games, the veteran linebacker knows that the change is inevitable.

Reacting to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's mass e-mail to five million fans Monday stating that the impending lockout can be avoided if a couple key issues can be resolved, including a restructuring of their current 20-game schedule (four preseason and 16 regular-season games), Farrior wasn't particularly surprised by Goodell's mode of operation.

"Yeah, he was making his pitch to the fans," Farrior said. "You have to make it look like you are not the bad guy. We understand what's going on. We know it is going to be a sticky situation. Hopefully, we will have a season next year, if not, we have to stay strong."

Still, Farrior believes that the players are going to have to sign off on the proposed 18-game regular-season schedule being pushed by the owners and the NFL to get a new collective bargaining agreement in place for next season to exist.

"They want 18 games, and I know it is going to happen one way or the other," Farrior said. "There is nothing we really can do about that. We can fight it all we want to, but it is going to happen."

For the 18-game schedule to be approved, the players would demand an increase in roster size and game day actives with the biggest sticking point being benefits.

"I think our benefits should be a lot better than what they are," Farrior said. "Those guys really don't want to pay for our benefits after we are done. If you look at any job that you go on and you get injured on your job, you have to take care of that. The NFL doesn't seem to want to do that all the time."

Even if the NFL agrees to all the stipulations, it still doesn't mean the players will embrace the 18-game schedule.

"We are never going to be happy with the 18 games," Farrior said. "It is something that we are going to have to learn to live with it."

QUOTABLE

"I know the intensity is probably going to go up, but at the same time, it is still going to be the same people I played against last week and the week before. The talent level isn't going to change. The talent level isn't going to go up. The focus level is just going to go up."

Mike Wallace

Steelers receiver, on playoff football

DIGITS

43-21: Bill Cowher's regular season record in his first four years.

43-21: Mike Tomlin's regular season record in his first four years.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or

TRH
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
18 game season is a HUGE huge mistake. More players will suffer from injury. Bad decision...wish the union would put this one the "absolutely non-negotiable" list

grward
01-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Screams of hypocrisy coming from Bad-dell's mouth!

jizzballz
01-06-2011, 08:49 AM
how long can goodell stay in term?

and whats his life expectency

pete74
01-06-2011, 10:27 AM
im all for the 18 games. obviously they will need larger game day rosters so players can take more breaks but i like the idea of 18 games. the only reason i dont like it is for the past records. Marino's passing record would be broke the 1st season. every major yearly record would be shattered immediatly

steelerchad
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
As a fan, you have to like the 18 game season. I'd rather pay for tickets for an extra real game than a pre season game. Plus it's 2 extra weeks of Steelers football. I love Sunday mornings when there is a Steeler game that afternoon. 2 more week of that is a good thing in my book.
I know it's about money, and I hate giving Goodell and the owners what they want. But, if the players can get proper compensation it's a win-win.

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I am 100% opposed to an 18 game schedule.

It waters down the play and opens us up to even more injuries.

Tell Lord Goodell to shove it.

pete74
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I am 100% opposed to an 18 game schedule.

It waters down the play and opens us up to even more injuries.

Tell Lord Goodell to shove it.

come on these guys make millions of dollars to play 11min or something per week. yes its very tough but come on. there are people working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week in a coal mine and your worried about a football player. what about military or construction workers busting there ass 7 days a week outside for a minute fraction of what a football player makes? i definatly dont feel sorry for them because they have to work 2 extra days

SteeleReign
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
come on these guys make millions of dollars to play 11min or something per week. yes its very tough but come on. there are people working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week in a coal mine and your worried about a football player. what about military or construction workers busting there ass 7 days a week outside for a minute fraction of what a football player makes? i definatly dont feel sorry for them because they have to work 2 extra days

THIS ^^^^

Although, I do believe that the NFL needs to take care of the "old guard." Those guys are suffering from injuries incurred prior to all the concussion/brain research & they have no health care from the league. Most of them aren't wealthy like today's players unless they hit it big in other areas of employment. The league needs to take care of them.

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 11:46 AM

What the hell does that gibberish have to do with Steelers football?

You want Charlie Batch running your team when Ben gets hurt?

Troy would never make it though either.

I want to bubble wrap our playmakers now, having scrubs play half the year would really suck.

pete74
01-06-2011, 11:52 AM

I want to bubble wrap our playmakers now, having scrubs play half the year would really suck.

thats the point of bigger rosters and a higher salary cap to pay for them. i agree some hard hitters like troy will be injured more often but every team would be doing the same thing. i totally understand your point though. there are alot of positive and negative aspects to an 18 game season

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 12:06 PM
If I had to chose over an 18 game schedule or a lock-out, I'd have to go with more games.

This is the barrel that Goodell is putting us over. It's extortion.

steve314
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
If I had to chose over an 18 game schedule or a lock-out, I'd have to go with more games.

This is the barrel that Goodell is putting us over. It's extortion.

I would go with the lock-out (better in the long term).

Curtain_of_Steel
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately, Goodell is not going any place.

He is obviously steering the owners through this potential lockout mess.

Will get them an 18 game season

18 game season will game them proportionately about 50-70million more per team per year in revenues, at least. With only 20-40million or so expenses with those 2 games from slarys and roster increases.

Goodell makes 10million per year and is laoding up the owners piggy banks.

ESPN just announces up to 2 billion per year for monday night football. That by itself is about 50-55million per team per year.

SH-Rock
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
As much as I love football, I hate this idea. Putting our players in more danger than the game already is, is the stupidest idea.

jizzballz
01-06-2011, 05:39 PM

no i dont want batch, i want you as our starter when ben gets hurt!

that way when suggs drills you, you stay down and dont get up

:tt03::tt03::tt03:

OX1947
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
For those who do not know, owners like Mara, Rooney, Lamar Hunt, etc all sacrificed for the betterment of the league. Goodell uses money as the bases of what makes everything ok. That isn't the NFL way. The quality of the product is what matters and if you keep using money as the barometer to making things work for you, well, have fun in the future, and wait for the NFL to hit the shitter because greed always catches up with you.

SH-Rock
01-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have a statement by Rooney on what he thinks on this?

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
no i dont want batch, i want you as our starter when ben gets hurt!

that way when suggs drills you, you stay down and dont get up

:tt03::tt03::tt03:

I want you across from me so I can kick you in the nuts.

davidtrout
01-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I hate the idea of an 18 game schedule. I just don't see the point. My biggest problem with Goodell is he seems too damned determined to leave his mark. He's fixing things that aren't broken in an effort to do this. Fortunately for NFL fans, he doesn't seem to think he's going to have the job for very long. Thus the relentless effort to make the league worse as soon as he possibly can.

toughsticks87
01-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I am completely against it. First of all, it gives rookies 2 games to prove themselves. Two. I haven't seen many (if at all) NFL players for the 18 game schedule. Why are you going to change up the system when none of your employees wants to? But aside from that, it's all the stuff that's already been said; greater risk on injuries, stats become more meaningless as all of the records are broken this year and there is nothing wrong with the current format. Goodell just needs to go. That simple.

steelerchad
01-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Comon people. 18 game schedule makes sense. It's the same # of games just 2 less preseason games and 2 more regular season games. You can get hurt in preseason just as easily as the regular season. 2 more real weeks of football to watch. What about the playoffs? Maybe we should tell our guys to take it easy in the regular season because if we do well, we could have to play an extra game, if we do really well they might even have to play 3 or 4 more games.

Heck the Steelers have been averaging 2 more games per season than the Browns have been playing every year for the last decade. Has it hurt us at all? And playoff games are usually faster and more brutal than any of the games. Fighting this is ridiculous. I don't even think the players mind this that much, that is just their stance for negotiating purposes. I don't like Goodell one bit, but why fight this just because you don't like him?
The players should use the leverage to get what they want and go on next year with 18 games. It really is a win, win, win.

1.The owners will get additional revenue.
2.The players will share in that extra revenue with increased roster spots and extra benefits.
3. The fans get 2 more weeks to watch their favorite team.

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 04:22 PM
THIS ^^^^

Although, I do believe that the NFL needs to take care of the "old guard." Those guys are suffering from injuries incurred prior to all the concussion/brain research & they have no health care from the league. Most of them aren't wealthy like today's players unless they hit it big in other areas of employment. The league needs to take care of them.

I think they already make them contribute to an elder fund. They need to start taking even more from their salaries to produce a retirement/injury fund. These guys won't save on their own then when s hits the fan they will mope and say nobody took care of them. Nobody likes to save. They make enough were the NFL should just old some of that for their future.

Since no preexisting conditions will be able to be denied in the future, the NFL will mostly just need to have enough money to pay for their premiums healthwise. As far as disability, the NFL can figure something out.