PDA

View Full Version : No Luck this draft!!!!

MDSteel15
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

lionslicer
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Good for him getting a degree and education. I'm sure he knows the history quarterbacks that go in the top 5 in the draft. COUGH RYAN LEAF COUGH.

MDSteel15
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Good for him getting a degree and education. I'm sure he knows the history quarterbacks that go in the top 5 in the draft. COUGH RYAN LEAF COUGH.

Yeah, like he wouldn't be able to go get his degree after signing the LAST huge contract in draft history!!!

lionslicer
01-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah, like he wouldn't be able to go get his degree after signing the LAST huge contract in draft history!!!

Its just how he thinks, he wants to work hard for the degree, let him.

sarahpalinhater
01-06-2011, 06:41 PM

I totally agree with you here. If this decision stands, he is a major idiot. One can always obtain a degree at anytime. However, one only has one chance to be the top overall pick in a NFL Draft. I mean ANYTHING can happen next season. Remember going into this season, Jake Locker was the guaranteed # 1 overall pick,,,but now, he is not even considered a top-10 pick. And that's Millions of dollars lost.

But in reality, I will believe this when the official time has past for players to declare for the draft. But if he does stay, it only proves that even students that go to Stanford can be total Idiots!! :blah::blah::blah:

jacksolomon
01-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Assuming there is a 2011 season at all.

theplatypus
01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Assuming there is a 2011 season at all.

and assuming that there's no rookie salary cap if there is a 2011 season

lionslicer
01-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I totally agree with you here. If this decision stands, he is a major idiot. One can always obtain a degree at anytime. However, one only has one chance to be the top overall pick in a NFL Draft. I mean ANYTHING can happen next season. Remember going into this season, Jake Locker was the guaranteed # 1 overall pick,,,but now, he is not even considered a top-10 pick. And that's Millions of dollars lost.

But in reality, I will believe this when the official time has past for players to declare for the draft. But if he does stay, it only proves that even students that go to Stanford can be total Idiots!! :blah::blah::blah:

What if he was a mormon or protastant, or any of those religions who believe you should work hard to earn your living, and if you don't you'll go to hell?

Calling him an idiot is kind of ignorant unless you know who he is... Just saying

SteelersinCA
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM

It's not like getting into Stanford is easy either. Everyone acts like a shot at the NFL is the biggest deal out there. The average NFL career lasts 3.5 years. Ask Jemarcus Russel and Ryan Leaf how the #1 pick turned out for them. Or scores of other #1 draft picks.

There will almost certainly be a rookie wage scale in place IF there is a 2011 season, which greatly mitigates the money he would receive. Having a college degree is never a bad idea, let alone one from Stanford.

If the guy stood to make 50 mil+ guaranteed, maybe, but by all insider accounts that's not at all going even be feasible, they are saying somewhere close to 11 mil. I'd take a Stanford degree over 11 mil any day and twice on Sunday.

LukesDad88
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
The 2011 Draft is the final event on the current CBA calendar. A rookie salary cap could not be instituted prior to event. Even if Luck goes 1st in the 2012 draft, this decision is likely going to cost him 10-15 million guaranteed, and potentially an additional 40 million over the terms of the contract.

I just hope the Bengals dont have too bad of a year in 2011.

sarahpalinhater
01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=SteelersinCA;889034]It. Ask Jemarcus Russel and Ryan Leaf how the #1 pick turned out for them.

Not staying in school had NOTHING to do with them not working out. As it goes to # 1 picks,,,why not ask either of the Manning boys how that worked out ? Or John Elway, or Terry Bradshaw,,ect,,ect,,ect!

Why you keep harking on this Stanford degree thing is ridiculous! NO ONE HERE said he can't get his degree....he can get that anytime. I mean do you have a learning problem ? :noidea: This is money in the hand.,...guaranteed! Can you say the same if he goes back to school for another season ? Can you GUARANTEE no Injuries ? Can you GUARANTEE that he doesn't have a bad season, and drop down on the draft in 2012 ?...No!

But right now, at this time, Luck IS the # 1 prospect, and a Guaranteed pick.

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Good

May the Bengals and Browns fall flat on their faces again.

SH-Rock
01-06-2011, 11:12 PM
What an idiot!
Sure he wants to finish his degree and I respect him for that, but he could've made a lot of money. Even if he's a bust he'll be set for life and never have to work again.

jjpro11
01-06-2011, 11:13 PM
he's an idiot.. really no other word for him.

SteelersinCA
01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
The 2011 Draft is the final event on the current CBA calendar. A rookie salary cap could not be instituted prior to event. Even if Luck goes 1st in the 2012 draft, this decision is likely going to cost him 10-15 million guaranteed, and potentially an additional 40 million over the terms of the contract.

I just hope the Bengals dont have too bad of a year in 2011.

The current CBA expires March 4, 2011. The draft is after that. It is not governed by the current CBA.

[
Not staying in school had NOTHING to do with them not working out. As it goes to # 1 picks,,,why not ask either of the Manning boys how that worked out ? Or John Elway, or Terry Bradshaw,,ect,,ect,,ect!

Why you keep harking on this Stanford degree thing is ridiculous! NO ONE HERE said he can't get his degree....he can get that anytime. I mean do you have a learning problem ? :noidea: This is money in the hand.,...guaranteed! Can you say the same if he goes back to school for another season ? Can you GUARANTEE no Injuries ? Can you GUARANTEE that he doesn't have a bad season, and drop down on the draft in 2012 ?...No!

But right now, at this time, Luck IS the # 1 prospect, and a Guaranteed pick.

Didn't Peyton stay an extra year? Yes, how did that work out for him? Seems to be just fine. I'm guessing you either didn't go to college or have no concept of what being young is like. The dude obviously felt there was plenty of NFL ahead of him and one year of Stanford left, what's more rare there?

He comes from a wealthy family, his dad is the AD a WVU, he's not worried about money. The only people that are are the people that don't have it. He enjoys playing college ball and he's an idiot for doing what he loves?? You clearly have a learning problem. :banging:

ncsteeler
01-07-2011, 02:40 AM
It's not like getting into Stanford is easy either. Everyone acts like a shot at the NFL is the biggest deal out there. The average NFL career lasts 3.5 years. Ask Jemarcus Russel and Ryan Leaf how the #1 pick turned out for them. Or scores of other #1 draft picks.

There will almost certainly be a rookie wage scale in place IF there is a 2011 season, which greatly mitigates the money he would receive. Having a college degree is never a bad idea, let alone one from Stanford.

If the guy stood to make 50 mil+ guaranteed, maybe, but by all insider accounts that's not at all going even be feasible, they are saying somewhere close to 11 mil. I'd take a Stanford degree over 11 mil any day and twice on Sunday.

He's getting a degree in architecture, average starting salary of 75k, gonna take a long time to earn back the 11 mil he may be giving up. He can get a degree any time.

ricardisimo
01-07-2011, 03:12 AM
He's getting a degree in architecture, average starting salary of 75k, gonna take a long time to earn back the 11 mil he may be giving up. He can get a degree any time.
Average from Stanford? Or average in the United States of America, no matter where you got your degree?

jjpro11
01-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Average from Stanford? Or average in the United States of America, no matter where you got your degree?

does it even matter in this case? he's going to be a professional football player, not an architect. if he wants a degree so bad he can get one after signing his #1 overall pick contract. i am sure Stanford will be a little more lenient with the scheduling given who he is. then he'll have a degree to fall back on plus that #1 pick contract to get him through life if he happens to suck in the pros or get hurt and only last a few years. he could stay another year, get hurt or play poorly and have his draft stock fall. even if there are no more $70 million contracts, $30 mil or whatever it will be for being first overall plus endorsements will be even more significant than the contract of someone drafted 15 or so picks down. insurance isn't going to cover him like a #1 contract would if he were to get in a serious car accident or something that ruins his career. there is nothing else he can do to set himself up better for life after college by staying another year. college experience my ass.. you'd have to be an absolute idiot to turn down financial security for life all for an extra year of good times in college. i don't care what his GPA is. that just sounds like a typical dumb 21 year old who thinks he's invincible.

steelax04
01-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Why doesn't everyone take a step back from their money hungry greedy selves and just think for one second that maybe it's not about the money to him? He's never going to get his college years back, the thrill of playing college ball, the chance at a heisman and national championship, and playing right now for the love of the game. There are some people out there that don't compromise themselves for a bunch of money and it looks like Luck is one of those guys. It's quite refreshing to see, imho.

lionslicer
01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
does it even matter in this case? he's going to be a professional football player, not an architect. if he wants a degree so bad he can get one after signing his #1 overall pick contract. i am sure Stanford will be a little more lenient with the scheduling given who he is. then he'll have a degree to fall back on plus that #1 pick contract to get him through life if he happens to suck in the pros or get hurt and only last a few years. he could stay another year, get hurt or play poorly and have his draft stock fall. even if there are no more $70 million contracts, $30 mil or whatever it will be for being first overall plus endorsements will be even more significant than the contract of someone drafted 15 or so picks down. insurance isn't going to cover him like a #1 contract would if he were to get in a serious car accident or something that ruins his career. there is nothing else he can do to set himself up better for life after college by staying another year. college experience my ass.. you'd have to be an absolute idiot to turn down financial security for life all for an extra year of good times in college. i don't care what his GPA is. that just sounds like a typical dumb 21 year old who thinks he's invincible.

So because he isn't a greedy person who would get $50 mill in like 3 years and could do nothing for the rest of his he's an idiot? \
Maybe he's has personal issues and can't under go change very easily.
Maybe he's like Monk and has severe OCD and if he doesn't finish something he hates himself for it to the point that its suicidal (these people exist)
Or its really religious views and he thinks he'll go to hell for not working harder to earn money.
Or maybe he truely is a hard head and just wants to spend another year in college getting high and drunk at parties.

Have you talked to him? Are you his best friend? No, so stop judging the poor dude

cloppbeast
01-07-2011, 12:34 PM

They didn't have great careers, but they walked away with lots of money. If he wants his degree, he could easily go back and earn it after he cashes in. If he goes back to college and gets hurt or has a terrible season, he could be giving up that huge check - that's happened to lots of players.

I would rather have both.

jjpro11
01-07-2011, 12:38 PM
So because he isn't a greedy person who would get $50 mill in like 3 years and could do nothing for the rest of his he's an idiot? \
Maybe he's has personal issues and can't under go change very easily.
Maybe he's like Monk and has severe OCD and if he doesn't finish something he hates himself for it to the point that its suicidal (these people exist)
Or its really religious views and he thinks he'll go to hell for not working harder to earn money.
Or maybe he truely is a hard head and just wants to spend another year in college getting high and drunk at parties.

Have you talked to him? Are you his best friend? No, so stop judging the poor dude

accepting financial security for life is a smart decision, not a greedy one. he can't say for sure all that money will be sitting there for him a year later. nothing in life is certain.

none of the other 4 options actually mean he is making the right decision.. more like they would just be preventing him from making the correct choice.

ricardisimo
01-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Why doesn't everyone take a step back from their money hungry greedy selves and just think for one second that maybe it's not about the money to him? He's never going to get his college years back, the thrill of playing college ball, the chance at a heisman and national championship, and playing right now for the love of the game. There are some people out there that don't compromise themselves for a bunch of money and it looks like Luck is one of those guys. It's quite refreshing to see, imho.
Very true. University was the time of my life. Wish it never would have ended.

lionslicer
01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
accepting financial security for life is a smart decision, not a greedy one. he can't say for sure all that money will be sitting there for him a year later. nothing in life is certain.

none of the other 4 options actually mean he is making the right decision.. more like they would just be preventing him from making the correct choice.

The correct choice to you doesn't mean it's correct to him. Logically, sure its not the best choice, but in his heart it is, and you should respect it.

SteelersinCA
01-08-2011, 03:05 AM
They didn't have great careers, but they walked away with lots of money. If he wants his degree, he could easily go back and earn it after he cashes in. If he goes back to college and gets hurt or has a terrible season, he could be giving up that huge check - that's happened to lots of players.

The ridiculous money aspect is a misnomer, I think there is an outrageously high number of former players who are broke a minimal amount of years after being out of the NFL, not quite as high as the NBA, but high nonetheless. Securing his future, whatever it may be, with a Stanford degree is hardly a horrible idea.:tt04:

ricardisimo
01-08-2011, 03:11 AM
The ridiculous money aspect is a misnomer, I think there is an outrageously high number of former players who are broke a minimal amount of years after being out of the NFL, not quite as high as the NBA, but high nonetheless. Securing his future, whatever it may be, with a Stanford degree is hardly a horrible idea.:tt04:
And maybe, just maybe, he really likes architecture... perhaps even more than he likes football.

stlrtruck
01-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Very true. University was the time of my life. Wish it never would have ended.

I wish I could remember them :rofl:

jjpro11
01-08-2011, 01:01 PM

he can get his degree a couple years late while securing #1 overall pick money now. how is that not the best possible choice for his future as far as financial security?

SteelersinCA
01-08-2011, 02:22 PM
he can get his degree a couple years late while securing #1 overall pick money now. how is that not the best possible choice for his future as far as financial security?

Well now you're changing the parameters. It's not just about his financial security. If that were the only consideration, maybe. It's not. The guy is very intelligent or he wouldn't be at Stanford, he loves college and college football, I'm assuming he likes his friends and teammates, maybe he wants to try for a national championship.

All of those things save 1, evaporate if he leaves early, the money. My point is the money is substantially mitigated by several factors, including his degree.

jjpro11
01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Well now you're changing the parameters. It's not just about his financial security. If that were the only consideration, maybe. It's not. The guy is very intelligent or he wouldn't be at Stanford, he loves college and college football, I'm assuming he likes his friends and teammates, maybe he wants to try for a national championship.

All of those things save 1, evaporate if he leaves early, the money. My point is the money is substantially mitigated by several factors, including his degree.

if those are the reasons, then fine.. i don't agree with any of them one bit, but it's his choice. the problem i have is that he is claiming he is returning solely to get his degree.. a degree that can be had any time after he goes pro.

lionslicer
01-08-2011, 03:31 PM
if those are the reasons, then fine.. i don't agree with any of them one bit, but it's his choice. the problem i have is that he is claiming he is returning solely to get his degree.. a degree that can be had any time after he goes pro.

Thats not his only reason, but its the reason that has been most publicized by the journalists writing about it.

What SteelersinCa is pretty acurate, he wants to be with his friends and teamates. Leaving the team would pretty much be unloyal to them and the school. He knows if he leaves the chances of his teamates every winnig a national championship is slim to none. He seems to be loyal to them.
I'm sure there are other reasons closer to his heart that he doesn't want to mention.
It's one more year in college, whats the big deal. Seriously. Even if he plays badly this year, he'll still get a big deal when he's drafted, even if its in the 5th round. It's his life, if he wants a modest living, who cares. That's not stupid, thats sticking to his values that he grew up with, something a lot of people don't do, especially with achance to have 50 million dollars. I think the kid deserves some praise for fighting off temptations of that much money.

SteelersinCA
01-08-2011, 03:50 PM

I think there is a shelf life on college credits. You can't go to college for 3.5 years in 2000 and then just come back in 2015 and finish your half year. Something tells me Stanford would not make that exception for him. I think people a grossly underestimating a degree from Stanford. It's not like a degree from Oklahoma, Texas or Florida, it just isn't. And he's not the typical dumb jock football player.

jjpro11
01-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I think there is a shelf life on college credits. You can't go to college for 3.5 years in 2000 and then just come back in 2015 and finish your half year. Something tells me Stanford would not make that exception for him. I think people a grossly underestimating a degree from Stanford. It's not like a degree from Oklahoma, Texas or Florida, it just isn't. And he's not the typical dumb jock football player.

Shaquille O'Neal got his degree 6 years ago.. other athletes have done the same.. lets be real, they aren't going to crucify him for waiting 2 years after going pro with all he has done for that school.

college is fun, but there comes a time when you have to just grow up and get your priorities straight... even if it comes at a time you're not thrilled with.

SteelersinCA
01-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Shaquille O'Neal got his degree 6 years ago.. other athletes have done the same.. lets be real, they aren't going to crucify him for waiting 2 years after going pro with all he has done for that school.

college is fun, but there comes a time when you have to just grow up and get your priorities straight... even if it comes at a time you're not thrilled with.

what if there is no season next year? then he's taking a year off of football, at least this way hes guaranteed to play and keep his skills sharp.