PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger engaged? Marriage a slippery slope for image

mesaSteeler
01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Ben Roethlisberger engaged? Marriage a slippery slope for image
Fox Sports, NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl, Tiger Woods,
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2011/01/06/ben-roethlisberger-engaged-marriage-a-slippery-slope-for-image/

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette is reporting that embattled Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is possibly engaged to girlfriend Ashley Harlan.

Maybe this is wrong, but for some reason the first thing I thought about was Tiger Woods. If there is one broad lesson the Tiger Woods affairs exposed, it is that marriage is a slippery slope in today’s image game for professional athletes.

Should things go right, you’re a lovable American icon.

Should things go wrong, well, you know the results.

The private lives of our top sports stars in today’s media landscape can quickly make or break endorsement deals and smear public opinion, which apparently counts for a lot these days.

Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock wrote a column two years ago titled “This is Why Athletes Should Never Marry”
shortly after the tragic death of former Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair. McNair was killed by his mistress.

At the time, I thought this opinion was too extreme. But after the Tiger Woods affairs rocked my humble little city of Orlando and trickled throughout the world, it made me wonder if Yankees playboy Derek Jeter had it right all along?

He can date whomever he wants and jet-set across the world with a bevy of babes and no one would care. He’s not married after all.

Three years ago that Jeter’s teammate Alex Rodriguez went from hero to zero after he was exposed as a serial cheater during his last marriage. Now that he’s divorced, he can date Madonna, Kate Hudson, Cameron Diaz or whatever Hollywood starlet he wants and he’s “cool” again.

Don’t get me wrong. I love marriage. It’s a wonderful institution for two individuals who are ready for that type of commitment. But it can also be a career and/or image killer for those in the public eye.

Here’s keeping my fingers crossed that Ben Roethlisberger is ready for that step. He’s already got two strikes against him in the p.r. department for previous off the field scandals.

Super Bowl champion or not, he’s still walking a ginger line with the Rooney family in Pittsburgh. A third strike could ship him out.

OX1947
01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
No current pro athlete should ever get married. It's stupid and a waste of time.

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Don't do it Ben. Find a nice island girl in about 10 years instead, you'll' thank me later.

Anyway, Pre-nup the hell out of her, that's what I say.

lionslicer
01-06-2011, 08:53 PM
No current pro athlete should ever get married. It's stupid and a waste of time.

:doh:

anyways...

One thing starts on twitter, and now its national news. I thought Ben didn't say anything about it, it might not even be true.

Deserei90
01-06-2011, 08:59 PM

anyways...

One thing starts on twitter, and now its national news. I thought Ben didn't say anything about it, it might not even be true.Well, From what I heard The Girls Grandmother told everyone in New Castle PA about it, and the New Castle news claims that it is true, because they said something about them being in a on and off relationship before, but recently picked back up. And they are planning a July wedding. So who knows. Ben did say he didn't want people to know what goes on in is private life.:noidea:

Kanata-Steeler
01-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Ben Roethlisberger engaged? Marriage a slippery slope for image
... Super Bowl champion or not, he’s still walking a ginger line with the Rooney family in Pittsburgh. A third strike could ship him out.

Might I add, also, Marriage "or not, he’s still walking a ginger line with the Rooney ... "
That is Ben's personal life and his business, and that's fine.

I just want him to give a million% as our QB for the Steelers.

USWSteel
01-06-2011, 09:21 PM

anyways...

One thing starts on twitter, and now its national news. I thought Ben didn't say anything about it, it might not even be true.

Ya because Ben has been so open, honest and forthcoming in the past !
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::b lah::blah::blah:

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I think she's hot

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2011/01/ashley_3-220x251.jpg

SoCalFan
01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
On another site,someone posted "the wedding and reception will take place in a undisclosed seedy bar bathroom"....People will never let that go!

steeltheone
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Non of our business....

Kanata-Steeler
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
On another site,someone posted "the wedding and reception will take place in a undisclosed seedy bar bathroom"....People will never let that go!
...I guess the altar will have to be the toilet ?
;)

Deserei90
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
On another site,someone posted "the wedding and reception will take place in a undisclosed seedy bar bathroom"....People will never let that go!There idiots! Always have been, always will be. Maybe this why Ben wanted to keep it hush hush, because he knows people will judge him about it.

JPPT1974
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Well that is Ben's business. As need to keep his private life private. As congrats if he is engaged!

USWSteel
01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
There idiots! Always have been, always will be. Maybe this why Ben wanted to keep it hush hush, because he knows people will judge him about it.

Yep, he want everything private... that's why he is having sex in a public bathroom. He obviously wants to keep things low key... what a joke.

Deserei90
01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Yep, he want everything private... that's why he is having sex in a public bathroom. He obviously wants to keep things low key... what a joke.I mean after all that crap went down. He wants things to be private now.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Yep, he want everything private... that's why he is having sex in a public bathroom. He obviously wants to keep things low key... what a joke.

Some of y'all talk like you have never gone out drinking and womanizing/manhunting with the guys/gals on Friday night. Give me a frigging break and come down off your pulpits....

If you've never had a drunken fling with some bar wh0r3/stud in the ladies room at a bar, club, or rave, you just haven't been living life to its fullest.....

So Ben got a little tipsy and banged some girl in the bathroom. Big deal. Done it a few times myself-- and the girl intitiated it everytime or it was fully consensual, just like it looks with both of these acccusations. Our society is hypocritical-- women have equal rights, but when two drunk kids get to messing around-- it is always the dude's fault. That is wrong-- with equal rights comes equal responsibility.

Her group followed Ben's entourage from bar to bar that night like lost puppy dogs, inviting him to their sorority house for a private party (with emphasis on "Private", as in parts) several times over the course of the night. McNulty was bragging about it afterwards and wanting to go galavanting off to Pittsburgh to try and meet up with Ben to see if he would marry her, like some love-struck groupie.

Sorry, but none of those sound like assault to me.

I am going to go out on a limb here and do what not too many of the other Steelers fans have done so far on this thread:

CONGRATUALTIONS, BEN! FROM WHAT I HAVE READ AND SEEN, SHE SEEMS LIKE A FINE WOMAN WITH A GOOD HEAD ON HER SHOULDERS.

BEST OF WISHES TO YOU, AND MAY YOUR MARRIAGE BE LONG, HAPPY, AND SUCCESSFUL!

BGSU A Dub
01-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Personal lives is where I draw the line for athletes. I enjoy what they do as athletes and I do not need to become so enmeshed in their life to follow their blogs/twitters/facebooks/etc. I don't want people that I work with to meddle in my personal life, so why would I meddle in or judge someone else's?

plenewken
01-07-2011, 06:34 AM

As long as Miss McNulty is Maid of Honor, I'm fine. :rofl:

Rick5895
01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Some of y'all talk like you have never gone out drinking and womanizing/manhunting with the guys/gals on Friday night. Give me a frigging break and come down off your pulpits....

If you've never had a drunken fling with some bar wh0r3/stud in the ladies room at a bar, club, or rave, you just haven't been living life to its fullest.....

So Ben got a little tipsy and banged some girl in the bathroom. Big deal. Done it a few times myself-- and the girl intitiated it everytime or it was fully consensual, just like it looks with both of these acccusations. Our society is hypocritical-- women have equal rights, but when two drunk kids get to messing around-- it is always the dude's fault. That is wrong-- with equal rights comes equal responsibility.

Her group followed Ben's entourage from bar to bar that night like lost puppy dogs, inviting him to their sorority house for a private party (with emphasis on "Private", as in parts) several times over the course of the night. McNulty was bragging about it afterwards and wanting to go galavanting off to Pittsburgh to try and meet up with Ben to see if he would marry her, like some love-struck groupie.

Sorry, but none of those sound like assault to me.

I am going to go out on a limb here and do what not too many of the other Steelers fans have done so far on this thread:

CONGRATUALTIONS, BEN! FROM WHAT I HAVE READ AND SEEN, SHE SEEMS LIKE A FINE WOMAN WITH A GOOD HEAD ON HER SHOULDERS.

BEST OF WISHES TO YOU, AND MAY YOUR MARRIAGE BE LONG, HAPPY, AND SUCCESSFUL!

Well said :applaudit:
Now can one of the mods close this thread!

USWSteel
01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Well said :applaudit:
Now can one of the mods close this thread!

Why close it ? Are you Ben's agent ? People talk ... Ben has one person to blame for this mess... himself. He doesnt have problems having sex in a public place, just when people find out !!! Now its his private life !!!! If you want private get a room like a normal human being. I love the double standard he falls back on.

siss
01-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I am happy for Ben...maybe he can give us a first round draft pick for the 2035ish...

mesaSteeler
01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I am happy for Ben...maybe he can give us a first round draft pick for the 2035ish...

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

siss
01-07-2011, 06:29 PM
:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

The kid will have a terrible towel in one hand and a football in the other.

pittguy578
01-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Ben was drunk. She was drunk. Nothing good happens when everyone is plastered. It was a hookup.