PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger named AFC offensive player of the week

mesaSteeler
01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Thursday, January 06, 2011
Roethlisberger named AFC offensive player of the week

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was named AFC offensive player of the week for his performance against the Browns, when he threw for 280 yards and a pair of touchdowns in just over two quarters.

Maurkice Pouncey was again overlooked for rookie of the month honors.

I know he's an offensive linemen and thus doesn't acquire any of the "stats" of skill position players.

But when a rookie linemen makes the Pro Bowl, it shows you that other teams are noticing his play.

I expect Pouncey to be second to St. Louis QB Sam Bradford in the AP offensive rookie of the year voting. And after seeing Bradford play Sunday night at Seattle, I'm not so sure Pouncey shouldn't win the award instead of Bradford.

St. Louis' coaching staff did an outstanding job protecting the young QB. He had just one pass over 40 yards all season. I understand St. Louis' receiving corps was pretty bad, but Bradford numbers aren't all that outstanding when you consider that.

He rarely took any chances.

TRH
01-06-2011, 08:02 PM
its a shame that usually only rookie players like QB and RB are honored as "rookie of the year".
Pouncey IS the rookie of the year. Just because he doesn't play one of the "flashy" offense positions shouldn't matter. Look at the rock he was and his play and leadership on a playoff level team who's line was battered and torn. Not to mention the Pro Bowl honor. And being a rookie.
The voters need to do the right thing this time and make it happen