PDA

View Full Version : New playoff OT rule could benefit Steelers

steelerchad
01-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Or it might not. I hope we don't go OT in any playoff game and have to find out. On the slim chance we go overtime in the playoffs, I think it benefits us. The Steelers defense is the stingiest at giving up TD's. Our D has given up only 20 TD's all season, which is the fewest in the league.
If we lose the toss and our opponent takes the ball, they can no longer end the game with a short 30-40 yard drive with a field goal.

It's a slight benefit, but if it comes down to overtime I think we have a small advantage. At least I know my heart won't drop into my stomach if we lose the coin toss, knowing we will still get the ball if we only give up a field goal.

GameTime55
01-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey ..got a question though..more a rule change question..the second team that possesses the ball are they forced to go for the TD and the win or can they kick a fg as well to tie and force more playing time in the overtime.

EDIT: Found the answer. kick off team is not forced to go for a td. they can choose to extend overtime by kicking anohter fg. Then it becomes a true sudden death scenario.

steelerchad
01-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Hey ..got a question though..more a rule change question..the second team that possesses the ball are they forced to go for the TD and the win or can they kick a fg as well to tie and force more playing time in the overtime.

They can kick the field goal for a tie, but at that point it becomes sudden death. Next score wins.
It will make for some interesting coaching decisions and definately some more agressive playcalling in the redzone. No more kicking a 35 yard field goal on 2nd down. If your 4th and 1 inside the 5 yard line, what do you do?

steeltheone
01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Or it might not. I hope we don't go OT in any playoff game and have to find out. On the slim chance we go overtime in the playoffs, I think it benefits us. The Steelers defense is the stingiest at giving up TD's. Our D has given up only 20 TD's all season, which is the fewest in the league.
If we lose the toss and our opponent takes the ball, they can no longer end the game with a short 30-40 yard drive with a field goal.

It's a slight benefit, but if it comes down to overtime I think we have a small advantage. At least I know my heart won't drop into my stomach if we lose the coin toss, knowing we will still get the ball if we only give up a field goal.

If we have a weakness it's giving up quick yardage at the ends of games.