PDA

View Full Version : Field Conditions after Winter Classic?

SteelFan4Life
01-06-2011, 10:39 PM
We all know Heinz Field has never had the best of field conditions, as we've never seem to ever put the right type of sod down. ANYWHO...

After painting the grass white... after putting a hockey rink on it... do you think off of that 'stress' on the field will affect it for our playoff game?

Thoughts?

hindes204
01-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I read somewhere that the penguins are footing the bill for an all new surface

SteelCityMom
01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah, Pens are footing the bill for resodding and what not. And it was pretty much dry here after the game, so it should be good to go.

Fire Haley
01-06-2011, 11:07 PM
5 Jan, 2011 - From Pittsburgh.cbslocal.com:

The grounds crew at Heinz Field will begin re-sodding the turf on Thursday and hope to have it completed by Saturday.

The construction of the hockey rink for the the Winter Classic damaged the field beyond repair. As a result, the immediate re-sodding was needed in time for the Steelers’ home playoff game.

This will be the second time in less than two months that entire field will be re-sodded. Previously, the field was re-sodded after the WPIAL championship games over the Thanksgiving weekend.

The NHL will pay for the re-sodding, which will cost about $100,000.

Shea
01-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Damn $100,000? Looks like the NHL has some bucks to fly around so why does their marketing team suck?

They need to drop some serious cash in that department and start to get the game on people's radar.

pete74
01-07-2011, 04:58 AM
hopefully the field is ready for our game. its still dirts right now so they better hurry

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2011, 07:23 AM
People didn't like me saying it but I think it would be a more popular game if it had diversity. Possibly not though because soccer is diverse and people just don't like it.

I think it would be interesting to watch Rodriguez over to Miller over to Jones...score rather than all these Eastern European names that blend...yawn.

To have mass appeal a game needs to be one that many fans have played in some form (most guys have played some version of baseball, basketball and football at some point in their lives) - the need for a rink eliminates that possibility for hockey and limits the appeal of the sport more than the absence of non-white players.

To get back to the thread topic, I wonder if the new sod is a one off for the playoffs which wil be replaced again this spring. i continue to hope the league pressures the Rooneys to put in an artificial surface such as that which the Ravens have (Baltimore hosted 4 high school championship games last month on a Saturday and the field was good to go the next day for the Steelers/Ravens Sunday night game - we all know how the turf at Heinz looks after the WPIAL visits every November).

IMO the current turf at Heinz actually is a disadvantage given the team speed the Steelers have everywhere except the OL.

wootawnee
01-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah, Pens are footing the bill for resodding and what not. And it was pretty much dry here after the game, so it should be good to go.

They got the dough for it.....That NY DAY game was like 200 a ticket!........

SteelFan4Life
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I saw a ticket stub that said $203 on it. Tickets were going between $300-$1000/head. So yeah, the $100k bill for the sod shouldn't be a problem. :)

plenewken
01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
They got the dough for it.....That NY DAY game was like 200 a ticket!........

Not true. Tickets started at $89. I'm talking face value, not what scalpers sold them for. One of my friend's ticket was perfectly located and he paid $149 for it.

SteelKnight
01-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I saw a ticket stub that said $203 on it. Tickets were going between $300-$1000/head. So yeah, the $100k bill for the sod shouldn't be a problem. :)

Besides 100K is peanuts to these people. Harrison could pay that with his fines. For a second I was like wow...100K then I thought about it and it is peanuts to professional sports. It's all about perspective.